“Our saving grace on our honeymoon”

Sanctuary Cap Cana by AlSol
Ranked #41 of 111 Hotels in Punta Cana
New York
“Our saving grace on our honeymoon”
Reviewed 8 August 2014

Our honeymoon to the Dominican Republic started off shaky, to say the least. The Breathless Punta Cana resort that we originally booked was disappointing at best. We frantically searched for another hotel as I refused to stay even a single night. There wasn't much available due to the last minute nature of the booking so we were forced to book the Hard Rock hotel for two nights. The Hard Rock was a huge casino style family resort- not the least bit romantic. I was beginning to feel really defeated and exhausted and ready to just cut the trip short and cut our losses. But, we decided to give it one last shot for the remaining 3 nights of our honeymoon. And let me tell you the 3rd time was a charm.

We pulled up to the Sanctuary and I instantly knew that this was the honeymoon I had intended. The clouds suddenly parted and the sun came out! It was perfect! Quaint, charming, personal and picturesque. The staff was super attentive and friendly and the grounds were beautiful, clean and inspired. The resort itself is a romantic, Spanish style retreat with 4 different pools to chose from- all of which are inviting. Apparently the Summer is the off season so most of the time we were the sole patrons of the pool enjoying a personal bar tender- it was ideal!

The sprawling grounds, the stunning views and the romantic rooms and restaurants make this a hotel a go to for couples. We will definitely be recommending it to our friends and family and we ourselves are planning our return!

There are many rooms that aren't listed on the websites so be sure to ask for an upgrade when you arrive. There are so many private suites and huts on the beach to choose from at very reasonable prices!

Thank you Sanctuary Cap Cana for saving our honeymoon!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ava291
Ignacio P, General Manager at Sanctuary Cap Cana by AlSol, responded to this review, 9 August 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you a lot for the confidence placed in us to celebrate your Honeymoon with us, for recommending us to property to other travelers, and for your compliments.

I am very pleased to know that you had a wonderful stay with us and it is a real honor for me to hear your comments about our facilities and service, At Sanctuary Cap Cana is our PASSION to provide the best guest experience to make them feel at home!!!

We will be waiting for you to experience another great stay at our Sanctuary.

Ignacio Perez

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,223)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
Reviewed 7 August 2014

My wife and I had a 5 night summer vacation here in July and it was absolutely stupendous. We had extremely minimal complaints from our stay. First off, the resort itself is fantastic! The architecture is gorgeous and really creates a great setting for a relaxing vacation. One thing i really like about this place is that it felt like the perfect size... big enough to be entertaining and small enough to where you really got to know the staff and they paid a lot more attention to the guests than at other resorts.

We stayed in the "castle" with an ocean view room. We initially booked a junior suite ocean view, and it seemed fine, but we couldn't resist upgrading after they showed us a couple of other available rooms. The view was too amazing to pass up. The room itself was great, no complaints other than the shower that would cycle between hot and cold randomly. Room service was easy, which we used a couple of times and the cleaning/turn-down service was satisfactory.

We thought the food was very good while we were there. We're definitely big food fans and these aren't michelin-star restaurants, but i think you have to manage expectations... We came expecting very little based on past resort experience and it definitely surpassed those expectations. Our favorite restaurant was the Blue Marlin (great place for lunch or dinner!). Our least favorite was the steakhouse. However, I heard opposite opinions from other guests, so I guess it just depends what you like. The food in all restaurants was pretty high quality, the house wine (included in the all-inclusive) was pretty decent, and the wait staff was great. Also, they have this musical duo that goes around to some of the restaurants and the singer has a seriously amazing voice.

The beach was small and definitely has some seaweed but it was extremely relaxing and has a great view. The water itself was really nice to swim around in on the days it wasn't too choppy. There's also a public beach a very short walk away. We only took a night stroll down the beach but it looked like it'd be a lot of fun during the day. We really spent a ton of our time in the pool though... really large main pool with a great bar and pretty easy to get drinks. The drinks themselves were really good and they didn't skimp on the booze for the most part (you could always ask for extra if you wanted).

They definitely made a great effort to keep people entertained during the day with different sorts of tastings (rum, coconut, cigars, etc.), different competitions and friendly games like volleyball. Overall, we never felt bored while we were there. It's definitely not a college-aged party resort, so keep that in mind. I'd say it's perfect for people that want a relaxing vacation with good drinks, friendly people, and still enough to do to have fun. Just don't expect nightclubbing, hundreds of people in the pool, etc.

Our only real complaint is that on some days they had people selling souvenirs around the main pool area and they could be a bit pushy sometimes if you weren't interested. It wasn't any real trouble though.

This resort definitely gets two thumbs up from us and we would come back again (we're talking about a big group trip next year)

Room Tip: The castle is a great area to stay in. Really cool design on the interior and probably the best view...
1 Thank Chris H
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback of Sanctuary Cap Cana.

I am very pleased to read your appraisal of our team, services and facilities and I know that my colleagues will be equally pleased to learn of your kind remarks and recognition of their efforts to meet your needs. Our main goal is the total satisfaction of our guests, and we are very glad to read that we accomplish that goal during your stay.

I would like to thank you for your recommendation, our guest’s opinion are very important to us, we have sent your comments to the corresponding managers in order to take them under consideration and improve at the mentioned points.

We certainly look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Bloomfield, New Jersey
Reviewed 7 August 2014

My wife and I spent our honeymoon here and we could not have asked for a better week. We stayed in the honeymoon suite which had 2 floors. The first floor had a living space and dining room, as well as our own private pool. We had out own deck we could walk out onto which overlooked the ocean. The second floor was where our bed and bathroom was. Every restaurant was great. No reservations necessary while staying there. There were plenty of excursions to choose from. The staff were always so friendly and they went out of their way to make sure that you were having a good time and taken care of. David and Menor kept everybody entertained by the pool with dancing and other activities. Although there were families there, this is definitely a honeymooners/couples hotel. There isn't much night life happening after 11pm. We definitely recommend and plan on returning to Punta Cana in the future and we would love to stay at Sanctuary Cap Cana again.

Dear Guest,

First of all I would like to thank you for having shared your impressions.

Thank you a lot for the confidence placed in us to celebrate your Honeymoon with us, for recommending us to property to other travelers, and for your compliments; I feel proud and grateful to hear that your experience with us was memorable.

At Sanctuary Cap Cana we have a commitment to provide quality service beyond our guests’ expectations, and it is a real pleasure for me to hear that we have achieved our goal. This definitely strengthens our philosophy of seeking the highest level of excellence.

Thank you for the great review and for recommending our hotel to future travelers.

We look forward to your next visit.

Orlando, Florida
Reviewed 7 August 2014

We returned 3 days ago and had an amazing time. Nice and quiet as advertised and none of the packs of people as in big resort. You truly get to feel like you have left the US, unlike some of the other huge resorts in the area.
We had no issues with check-in and were taken to our room within minutes.

The room had a partial view of the pool and ocean very nice.
The floors could use a bit more cleaning I am assuming because of the traffic and the type of flooring material the bathroom floor had a bit of dark discoloring .. no biggy I threw towels on the bathroom floor anyway .
The bed was very comfortable and we could have stay in bed all day .. but the pool was amazing and had a nice walk up bar. The drinks .. were so so.
We are snobby eaters I guess and found the food to be average for our taste but I think it justifies the prices and the all-inclusive.
The views everywhere are nice and we enjoyed the tranquil setting. We would return if in this area again, and we will be because the most beautiful beach in the world is a short drive away .. macao !! dont miss it if you are in the area.

The staff was friendly and attentive but they do prefer the US dollar as far as tipping ..all I had was pesos.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sean_Ivette
Dear Guest,

The comments and suggestion of our guest’s are of the utmost importance and assistance to us and I greatly appreciate the time you took to post your review after having stayed with us. Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback of Sanctuary Cap Cana

Exceeding the expectations of our guests and offer truly exceptional experiences is our goal. We know that in order to achieve this it is necessary to provide good service and attitude; therefore I am proud to hear that our staff went above and beyond in their effort to fulfill all your needs.

I am glad to hear that your vacation have been better than you expected and it is clear to me that we have achieved our goal. Notwithstanding, your comments on improvement areas will be part of our daily work.

Thank you for your feedback and we hope to have the opportunity to host you again.

Brampton, Canada
Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

Celebrated 40th bday here. Great hotel very clean .
Friendly staff to mention a few Valentina , eddy , Donald
And the manager of the hotel .
We had the honeymoon suite which had our own pool the view was spectacular !
This is a honeymoon resort for sure !
The spa was great Martina really loves her job because she took all the nots out of my back and neck.
The beach did have seaweed but that's uncontrollable , the staff worked hard to keep it clean. If you choose to go here you will love the quietness and peace this santuary has to offer.

• Stayed August 2014
Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for extending us your kind compliments about our property. It is a pleasure to know all your expectations were exceeded. Our main goal is the total satisfaction of our guests, and we are very glad to read that we accomplish that goal during your stay.

We look forward to see you soon at our Sanctuary!

Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed 5 August 2014

We enjoyed this resort for 5 days and I highly recommend it to anyone looking for a resort that is on the smaller side. We started off in a castle jr. suite and ended up with a Monarch suite. You can't compare the two room types. But I would recommend upgrading to one of the villa suites if the budget allows (more space and privacy).

Pros:
- Excellent service. No complaints at all.

- Excellent food. The breakfast buffet was consistently stocked with many healthy and tasty choices. Good variety of drinks and food at all restaurants with something for everyone, including those who might have a special diet. Reservations are not required for dining. Good selection on the room service menu. Resort is not over-reliant on buffets. Most nights guests order a la carte from a menu.

- Relaxed vibe and amazing views at every turn. Very quite at night.

- Resort size. This is a small resort so we could always find somewhere private and picturesque to relax.

- Calm ocean and suitable even for non-swimmers. Soft white sand with very little seaweed.

Cons:
- $30 each way for a private cab ride from PJU. We arranged a cab with the hotel and the cabbie never showed up. So we had to take a private airport cab. iIt was the same price so no problem, but I found that odd.

- Guests must pay extra for wi-fi and it cannot be purchased from inside your room. You must go to the main desk to pay and then come back to the room to use it. Kind of inconvenient when you want to get online at 2am.

-The castle side was quiet, seemed abandoned.

Tips:
-The use of kakas and paddleboats are free for hotel guests on Juanillo beach right next door. The front desk didn't tell us about this perk but we found out on our own.

-Beach and poolside seating in June was adequate with no need to wake up early to reserve seats. We went in low-season so I can't tell you what to expect during high season.

-the Wok was our least favorite restaurant. Avoid the sushi and wakame salad there. Stick with the habachi and stir-fry dishes.

- Be sure to eat at the steakhouse. My favorite, but it was not open every night. So make sure it is open when you want to go.

Room Tip: Though the furnishings were nice and modern, I wasn't very fond of our castle room which faced t...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank PeacefulWay
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback of Sanctuary Cap Cana.

I am delighted to hear about your recent experience at Sanctuary, as well I would like to thank you for having taken some of your valuable time to write your impressions.

We look forward to your next visit.

West Chester, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 4 August 2014

We went down during their off season (July-Aug) for a few days- it was my first trip to the Dominican Republic so I wasn't sure what to expect. I'm not sure if our experience was solely due to the fact that it was the off season, but we had a great time! We got a free upgrade on our hotel room, it was clean with AC and a semi stocked (and included in the all inclusive) mini bar. We didn't have consistent luck with room service, but the bars and restaurants which were also included in the all-inclusive package were varied and had good food (and I consider myself a selective eater).

To answer some of the questions we had before leaving: Bring USD (it is preferred) the outlets accept US plugs, it is very close to the airport (in a convenient way) and there were plenty of pools, so it was never overcrowded. Leave some extra time for the airport for your trip home- it is not very organized and we had to wait almost an hour to check our bags.

The ocean is beautiful. There wasn't a whole lot of beach, but it was so hot, you couldn't stay out of the water for very long anyway. There are plenty of activities you can set up through the hotel and a constant string of daily activities going on at the hotel. We chose golf- which was probably the prettiest thing we saw the whole trip.

Highly recommend this hotel!

Room Tip: We had a room on the ground floor with a balcony leading into a pool. It was clean, cool and sunny!
4 Thank PhillyHokie2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for share on Trip Advisor your recent experience in our Sanctuary.

We are so thrilled to hear you enjoyed your stay at Sanctuary Cap Cana. At Sanctuary Cap Cana it is our pleasure to service our guest with the finest hospitality. We want to guarantee a vacation that will be unforgettable. Thank you for you kind remarks and recognition of efforts. Please tell your friends about our hotel.

We certainly look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Punta Cana
Alsol Luxury Village
Alsol Luxury Village
#87 of 111 in Punta Cana
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,238 reviews

Been to Sanctuary Cap Cana by AlSol? Share your experiences!