“Very Elegant”

Sanctuary Cap Cana by Playa Hotels & Resorts
Ranked #30 of 114 Hotels in Punta Cana
Reviewed 1 February 2011

I spent 4 nights at Secrets Sanctuary in Jan. and will say that this is a stunning resort. I have stayed at many Secrets before and at many Amresort properties (Dreams, Secrets, Zoetry). We go to Punta Canal every Jan at least. Although this is a Secrets it is a more refined, subtle Secrets with a more elegant laid back atmosphere. The resort is small by the number of rooms (about 190) but is spread out along the ocean and the grounds, walkways through the resort are beautiful. At the center of the hotel in the main entrance which with the center lobby fountain is just again beautiful. A second story veranda over looks the main pool and the beach. The beach is smaller but with plenty of room for activities, lounge chairs etc. The public beach on each side of the resort is rated the best in Punta Cana. Calm blue water. The resort has three different areas. The middle, which contains the standard rooms which would be a high upgrade at many resorts. One side has a more tropical feel while the other side is the castle and has a more unique feel but not as tropical. There are really any type of room in this resort that you could want from having your own pool, own island, on the beach, large multi room suites, rooms overhanging the ocean, whatever you like. The rooms are very elegant, comfortable, unique, varied, clean and have very good maid service.

The Blue Marlin restaurant is on a pier over the ocean, the Steak Restaurant is near the main lobby and the Italian also near the main lobby. The Japanese is at the end of the resort in the castle area. Restaurants are very pretty and different. The main buffet is above the main pool area. Lunch service is anywhere you want served. Many people eat lunch without leaving their lounge chair. The food, like all all-inclusives is good to very good. Some things were better than others.

The resort doesn’t have a disco, doesn’t have an entertainment center or a sports bar. The “Love Bar” is a beautiful bar that serves many of these functions with the shows on the veranda, weather permitting but is moved to the Love Bar if raining. We watched the Pittsburgh Steelers in the Love Bar and also saw one show there due to weather. This multi purpose bar can get busy being so many things. The newly completed Spa is beautiful. They also have a conference area. There is also a casino on site.

The pools are beautiful. The main pool is right in the center of the resort. A level above the main pool is a pool with a huge waterfall wall with another small pool on that upper level. We stayed at the waterfall pool most of the time. Loved the falling water and the privacy. There is also another small pool with its own bar on the 3rd floor of the castle which is very private and nice. Also a cute pool to play ping-pong. The food and drink service at the pools and beach was very good.

When you walk into and see this resort you feel very special. It has the potential to be a “World Class” resort and can easily be the best resort in Punta Cana. As a Secrets, I had a great time but I feel that some consistency needs to improve in the food and a little more professional service. Service was great, don’t misunderstand me and food is good but when you are here you are getting the idea that this is the best resort you will ever visit in your life and Secrets needs to get to that level. Secrets doesn’t disappoint but this should be a Secrets Extreme. One night I had a personal message delivered to me 6 hours late. One night I had a great Filet but my wife’s Strip Steak was not near as good. The Dominican buffet was not real good the night we were there. Lobster night with grilled lobsters was excellent. The Italian was excellent but the strolling band tried to sell us a CD. Breakfast and lunch were good with a good selection but one day the only potato selection was mashed potatoes for breakfast which I thought a little strange. Service is very enthusiastic but you can only fill up orange juice glasses so many times and dishes were trying to be removed before we finished eating. Room service was both good and quick. These things would never keep me from going to Secrets but a few refinements and I think they will truly be “World Class” and have a reputation as being the best! When I say World Class, I do not put resorts in Punta Cana in that category with the exception of possibly Zoetry (in a different way) and this resort has potential to be exceptional. Right now it is as good or better than any resort in Punta Cana and should be rated number one.

I would highly recommend this resort to anyone to wants an elegant, beautiful, resort. It is different that the run of the mill all-inclusive. Soon when you see the top 10 Caribbean Resorts on TV this could be one of them. Just being there and walking through the resort you are in awe. At night, when the steeples and cupolas are lit on the roofs it is so beautiful. The resort is not flat but a rolling property instead of the usual flat property. I would rate this resort 5 out of 5 with potential to be 5++++.

I look forward to returning next year and seeing how this resort evolves and visiting the great staff they are building at this resort. To name a few; Alfredo, Junior, Gracie, Katerina, Lourdes, Cuillo, Miami, Willy Wonka, Deazz and I know we missed many others. Marco Pena was a great host and I was lucky to see many friends who had worked at other resorts within the Amresorts portfolio. The staff is walking the resort constantly. David, the new food and beverage manager is walking every restaurant, every meal. I have had many great stays with Amresorts and this resort didn’t disappoint.
If you have specific questions you can contact me at [--]

1  Thank bbgamer
MarcoPena, Manager at Sanctuary Cap Cana by Playa Hotels & Resorts, responded to this reviewResponded 5 February 2011

Dear Guest,

I can only say that this is a "WORLD CLASS REVIEW", we thank you for giving our future guest a very good insight to our resort. We also thank you for taking the time to explain in detail your experience as we understand that when most guest return home it is slightly difficult to find the time to complete a review with regard to their vacation experience.

On behalf of Alfredo, Junior, Gracie, Katerina, Lourdes, Cuillo, Miami, Willy Wonka, David and the entire staff, we thank you and appreciate your continued loyalty for the AMRESORTS brands.

We hope for your pompt return and look forward to serving you.

mapena@secretsresorts.com

Write a ReviewReviews (5,048)

Reviewed 1 February 2011

My wife and I just got back from Secrets Sanctuary Cap Cana (Jan 20-27). I normally don’t take the time to post comments on these websites but I felt it necessary to do so. I was somewhat undecided about booking this vacation because of a few negative reviews that had been posted. Nevertheless, my wife convinced me that there were far too many positive reviews that could not be over looked. Surely those few negative reviews were isolated incidents…not a true reflection of the opinions of most travelers to Secrets Sanctuary.
The resort is truly beautiful. The architects, designers, and the decorators have to be commended. It is obvious that the ocean views, privacy, and tranquility were at the heart of the resorts design. What struck me the most is that there is an over abundance of lounge areas. Whether you are in the Castle area, the main reception area, on any of the terraces, by the pool, or on the pier…there is no shortage of seating areas just to chill out. So whether you want to be in a high traffic area or off to a quite area to enjoy one on one time, Secrets Sanctuary offers that choice.
We took the opportunity to view different rooms/villas offered at Secrets Sanctuary. One thing that was very obvious is that the decor is beautiful… is has that balance between modern and traditional. Whether you stay in the Castle Junior Suite or you are fortunate enough to stay in a Royalty Villa, the resort is able to meet expectations at each price point. I will mention it is true that it may take several minutes to get hot water at the faucet. But at the end of the day if this is my worst comment about my room, I would say that it’s something I can deal with. I did have one maintenance call to make, my door handle was sticking. I am not kidding when I say that a maintenance person was there within three minutes. It may have been a fluke, the maintenance man could have been in our general area but nevertheless the issue was resolved quickly the first time without a follow-up call.
I am not much of a beach person, I prefer spending time by the pool. There are 4 pools to choose from, each with an appeal of their own. The views of the ocean as a back drop to the pools are truly spectacular! We have posted photos on my wife’s facebook page and our friends can’t believe that our $149.00 camera took the pictures as some of the pictures look like post cards. I liked to hang out by the main pool so that I could be closest to the pool bar. Carlos and Lenny were standouts behind the bar. They were very friendly and got to know the resort guests and their favorite drinks! An added plus is that they have service staff offering drinks around the pool and beach, this was terrific as I didn’t have to interrupt my lazy time on the pool chairs. One of the servers was Aramis whose timing was impeccable, he quickly spotted our empty glasses and was fast on our re-fills.
Hanging by the pool helped us meet the entertainment staff. What I liked about these guys was that they were not pushy. Often times resort staff try to pull you into activities you don’t feel like participating in. These guys were friendly and inviting without crossing that line. Bambino, the Entertainment Manager was very interested in making sure that the resort guests were aware of the various activities and shows taking place. The shows are typical of a Caribbean resort, unfortunately we missed the Thursday night magic show as we travelled Thursday to Thursday.
The resort had a great variety of food, the selection was very good as was the quality. There is definitely something for everyone. I am not much of a breakfast eater, a BLT sandwich is all I need but my wife enjoyed everything from made-to-order omelets, fresh fruit, to your basic cereal with milk. I make up for the light breakfast with a hearty lunch and an even heartier dinner. Let me say that I never left a restaurant hungry. I was very pleased with the a-la-carte lunch menu at the Blue Marlin and the buffet always had great dishes at Casa Bella. Dinner at any of the four restaurants will be sure to satisfy your appetite, my favorite was the Wok (Japanese) restaurant, and my wife really loved her dinners at Blue Marlin especially the grilled red Snapper with mash potatoes and a mango salsa. I liked the fact that reservations are not needed. On other vacations I hated arriving at a resort and on day one mapping out where and when I was going to eat over the next 7days.
Service was top notch, restaurant staff was very attentive when it came time to clear empty plates or bringing beverage re-fills. Wait times were not long at all after ordering your dish. A stand out with the restaurant staff was De Aza, we ran into him at a few of the restaurants. He has a real knack for getting to know his customers and he goes out of his way to make you feel welcome. Also, it was very apparent that the Food and Beverage Manager, David, was very interested in hearing feedback. On more than one occasion we were asked if there were any concerns that we had and if so he would be happy to address them.
Beyond the restaurant staff, the staff in the other areas of the resort such as the bell boys, front desk staff, cleaning staff, and the concierge staff, were all very professional and strived to meet the needs of their guests. We had a particularly difficult time getting through to our tour operator to confirm our flight and shuttle pick-up time. Kary at the concierge desk was literally doing everything in her power to get a straight answer from Sunquest vacations. If it wasn’t for her tenacity in scheduling our shuttle pick-up, we may have missed our flight… now that I think about it; maybe missing our flight wouldn’t have been a bad thing ;)
My wife initially communicated with Marco Pena, Rooms Division Manager, via email over questions regarding the levels of accommodation prior to booking. Marco was very prompt in his replies and offered the information we were looking for. We eventually met Marco at the resort; he was very courteous and welcoming and he kept reiterating that if there was anything that he or his staff could do for us to please let him know. We saw Marco several times throughout the week and it became very clear that his primary focus is customer service. Secrets Sanctuary is obviously striving to exceed customer expectations, Marco among others are being proactive in getting the feedback they need to make adjustments. I personally think that this face-to-face interaction between upper management and resort guests goes a lot further than a little box affixed to a wall labeled “Customer Comments”. With today’s technology and email, a comment box maybe a thing of the past, but good old face-to-face interaction and sincerity can never be replaced.
In closing, I would like to say we had a terrific vacation. It was peaceful, relaxing, and enjoyable. It really felt like we were in paradise and we have the photos to prove it. Our overall experience was fabulous. I don’t want anyone to think that there was never a moment where something wasn’t perfect because that was not the case. Obviously over a 7 day period and 21 meals later, there will be a waiter who doesn’t do something exactly as you would like, or maybe a particular dish isn’t quite prepared as you would have expected. But as I look back over the week, the odd trivial bump along the road would not stop me from recommending Secrets Sanctuary to my family or friends. Beyond the food, the architecture, the decor, the pools, or the beach, the one lasting impression is the Managements constant visibility and consistent request for feedback. In my opinion, Secrets Sanctuary lives up to its 5star rating. I look forward to seeing all the great staff on our return visit.

Steve & Claudia from Toronto, Ontario, Canada.

2  Thank SteveandClaudia
MarcoPena, Manager at Sanctuary Cap Cana by Playa Hotels & Resorts, responded to this reviewResponded 3 February 2011

Dear Guest,

Greetings from warm and sunny Secrets Sanctuary Cap Cana.

You where absolutely correct LONG but WORTH THE READ, this was a super fantastic review and I really appreciate that you covered most of our resort, it gives future guest the full picture of our resort and what to expect.

It was my pleasure to make your aquiantance, Carlos, Lenny, Bambino, De Aza and David send their warm regards. The entire staff appreciates your feedback and a few items that you mentioned will be addressed to ensure future guest do not experience the same issues.

Once again, we thank you and we expect your prompt return.

Rooms Divsiion Manager

Reviewed 31 January 2011

My husband and I stayed at Secrets Sanctuary with friends just a few weeks ago and had a great vacation. The staff at the resort were incredible. From the moment we entered the front doors and were welcomed "home" we knew we were in for a fun-filled three days. The staff was amazing--Marco welcomed us to the resort and upgraded our room to an incredible one-bedroom suite in the castle. Jarlen and Kary went out of their way to be friendly and accomodating, always asking if there was something that they could do for us, and Miami always put a smile on our face because of his enthusiasm. When we left, I was hugging the girls goodbye. It didin't hurt that the pool was awesome and there were always plenty of seats. Definitely a terrific spot for a getaway!

1  Thank kdriver
MarcoPena, Manager at Sanctuary Cap Cana by Playa Hotels & Resorts, responded to this reviewResponded 2 February 2011

Dear Guest,

Greetings from warm and sunny Secrets Sanctuary Cap Cana.

Thank you for such a wonderful review on Trip Advisor, we appreciate this very much.

Kary and Jarlen send hugs and kisses and hope for your prompt return.

Yeah the pools are great, I wish I could jump in sometimes.

Thank you once again, we look forward to your prompt return.

Reviewed 31 January 2011

My husband and I had stayed at Secrets Sanctuary for 8days this January for our Anniversary.I read some reviews befoer we had left that we less than positive, and that had really worried me. We actually almost rescheduled our vacation to a different resort because of some of the neg. feedback I had read even on this site. Well all I have to say is THANK GOODNESS we didnt. This resort is amazing. My husband and I have traveled all around the Carribean and Mexico, and have stayed at some of the finest all inclusives (Sandals,Iberostar etc). This resort blew all other properties away that we had been in the past. My husband and I are in our 30's, and found the resort to be very relaxing,quiet,with no stress what so ever. There was only one bar with much action at night, which we were concerned about at first but found that it was lively and perfect for letting a little loose at the end of a long hot day. The staff is genuinely friendly-unlike what I have found at previous resorts. They seem to really enjoy their jobs,want to be there, see it as a good opportunity, and want to do well. I have found on other islands and locations that yes the staff was friendly but they seemed to lack a genuine quality in their interactions. At other properties we always got they impressiont that the staff was there just "putting in their time". But not here at Secrets Sanctuary, the staff were very impressive and personable. A few standout's to us were first and foremost Tomas at the fortress bar (what a guy!) Dany (la familia,just awesome) Miami,Carlos at the swim up bar, the gentleman (who's name escapes me right now, I apologize I think it was Ricardo) that works at the lobby concierge desk who spoke great English and was extremely attentive to our every need, and even the head chef was friendly and personable throughout our stay as well. We stayed in a swim-up pool room located in the fortress-which was perfect. The spa was great (Theresa, what a beautiful and lovely person), the food was great, the drinks were yummy, the beach (Juanillo right next door) was beautiful-what more could one ask for?! I also want to add that we had went on the doom buggie excursion. This excursion was unbelievable- the doom buggies were fun, but they take you to this cave that is carved into the side of a mountain to swim in-this was absoulutely breathtaking. And the tour guides were so great as well- they never rushed us to leave, and were extremely friendly and kind. All in all its all about expectations- if you think you are a celebrity and expect everything to go perfectly all the time especially when you leave the country then here's my tip-Dont leave your house! Things will and do go wrong,that is life, and minor things had happened to us on our stay that as a whole arent really worth even mentioning or complaining about. We left Secrets Sanctuary feeling refreshed,renewed, appreciated,relaxed and stress-free which was exactly why we had went in the first place. We are planning to visit this resort again sometime in the future- and will highly recommend it to our friends and family with the upmost confidence that they will have the same great experience that we did!
I must also add that in concerns with the sun.... I am partially Italian, with naturally olive skin- I never burn (keep in mind we went in mid January), I thought I would be fine with the sun and was looking forward to browning up-well I burned,and unfortuantley didnt bring a lick of sunblock with us-just to forewarn, the sunblock that is available for purchase at the shop in the resort was $35.yikes, so even if you dont think you will need it-pack the sunblock.
On a closing note- Our travel agent back here in Pittsburgh didnt even have a brochure or basically any info. on this property. I had to research it mainly myself, we had found that to be the case with several other people we had met on our vaca. The word needs to get out better how fantastic this resort is, more travel agents need more info. on it- because I nearly passed this resort up!!

Thank you for your time!!

1  Thank Travelbunnie98

Dear Guest,

AMAZING REVIEW, thank you on behalf of the entire staff at Secrets Sanctuary Cap Cana.

Tomas at the fortress bar, Dany (la familia) Miami,Carlos, Ricardo and Theresa from the Spa send out to you a BIG HOLA. They were all very pleased to see their names on Trip Advisor and for this I thank you because it keeps our employees motivated.

Furthermore, thank you for pointing out that sometimes things can go wrong and you are absolutely correct, I tell you this we try very hard to make it right and appreciate that you noticed.

We hope for your prompt return and thank you for selecting Secrets Sanctuary Cap Cana as your vacation destination.

Reviewed 31 January 2011

From the fact that this resort is only 15 to 20 minutes from the Punta Cana airport, to the fact that it is as beautiful as in the photos online on the resort page, to the large rooms and unbelievable views, amazing food, and friendly staff...this is one of my top 3 places I've ever stayed, for a tropical vacation.
Secrets in Cap Cana was SO much fun for our family of 6, all adults, who live on different US coasts, that we're thinking of making our family gathering an annual thing to get us all together.
When driving into the private, gated Cap Cana community, and then arriving at the front door of the resort, to be greeted by the staff saying "Welcome Home", we all were entranced. Our family has gone to many Caribbean islands over the years, and one family member lived on a 90 foot boat for almost a year that cruised from Tortola to Grenada, so we've seen lots of great places, but this resort was one of our top spots.
The pictures on the web site almost don't even capture the beauty, and that's pretty rare, as the resorts always put their best photos online. Our rooms, the views, the pools, the staff, the top-shelf drinks, and the restaurants, which were served as fine dining rather than the "all buffets" that many all-inclusives have, made this better than we ever expected.
Even the lowest priced rooms were amazing...and I can't imagine how fabulous the swim-out rooms in the Fortress, or the rooms that looked like they were little cottages right on the beach, might be! This resort is everything your could want for an adult, luxury vacation!
The staff almost all speak English, some better than others, of course, but every one of them were so anxious to please us. One room was a bit glitchy with the AC, but the guy came back 3 times and made sure it worked perfectly.
We would return in a second as this was absolutely the most beautiful of places to stay. A tip...use the provided bottled water for teeth brushing etc., as the tap water should not be consumed except by the locals. There is plenty of water provied everywhere, and the resort uses their water at meals and for washing all the fruits and vegetables.
Give yourself PLENTY of time to check in at the PUJ airport as it is typically slow, as is the case in most tropical locations....but the airport itself is beautiful. Have a blast!

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank kitw01
Reviewed 30 January 2011

Everything was as it should be. The best time-- most relaxing since my Tahiti trip 10 years ago. This property is absolutely gorgeous; I can't believe it surpassed my expectations!!

Dear Guest,

Thank you for the comparison to Tahiti, that is a great destination.

We thank you for sharing your experience and on behalf of the entire staff we are very excited that we exceeded your expectations.

We hope for your prompt return.

Reviewed 28 January 2011

It was my experience that the staff of The Sanctuary really wanted my business and wanted me to have a great experience at their hotel. Our accommodations were excellent, service was great (restaurants, pool bars & attendants, front desk staff, housekeeping, spa - all areas). The management was great! It was hard to tell who was management because they interacted with the guests and sought excellent service as well. I'll definitely be back.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank mikni2wri
MarcoPena, Manager at Sanctuary Cap Cana by Playa Hotels & Resorts, responded to this reviewResponded 30 January 2011

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments it is greatly appreciated.

The staff and management is dedicated to providing exceptional service and we are pleased that your vacation experience was a good one.

We hope for your prompt return.