“Awesome time”

Ranked #64 of 111 Hotels in Punta Cana
Chicago, Illinois
“Awesome time”
Reviewed 13 August 2014

We were there on 7-28-2014 thru 8-4-2014, we got there a little earlier then check in at 3pm so we went to the main buffet and ate. The food is good for a buffet. We really liked that everyone was friendly. After walking around for a bit we went to the main desk and then were escorted to concierge desk were we spoke with a gentlemen first who was not that helpful he did not tell or provide us with the al lacarte choices. We were turned off by it when we reached our rooms. After the buffet dinner we spoke with concierge, Jiancarlo, who was at the desk now. I can tell you Jiancarlo is one of the reasons we are coming back. Great service, he helped us get what we needed. The second person who was very helpful and went out of his way to meet all of our needs was Carlos. Carlos is a waiter in the main buffet. Carlos was on his JOB he treated us like we were VIP, I noticed he treated everyone there like that so yes we tipped him very well. The resort is well kept and the room was clean. The only thing I was turned off about was the fridge it was luke warm and others told us the same. The pools were awesome and so was the beach. The drinks kept coming and we loved it. Today we just booked our stay with you beginning December 30, 2014. Thank you for making our 7 days so special and i hope that in December into the New Year is magical also.

The Akiyama's

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Viancagraciano, customer service at Grand Bahia Principe Punta Cana, responded to this review, 15 August 2014
Dear Mark,

It is an honor to know that our personnel made the most memorable part of your awesome vacation.

They will be happy with your acknowledgments, thank you for that. I wish to tell you WOW for letting us know that you already booked for coming in December to this paradise once again.

We are already waiting for that day!!!

Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, your best hotel in Punta Cana.

Bahia Principe Bavaro Resort

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,456)
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
england
Reviewed 13 August 2014

Stayed here for 3 weeks so I feel more than qualified to write this review. Firstly I have to say the staff give 100% at this resort. The resort is enormous but by day 2 we had the hang of it.

Beach - beautiful, be up by 6am for a sun lounger on the front row and be prepared to be close to complete strangers, the beds are very close together.

Pools- the main pool by the bar is the party pool and by 4pm it is full of drunk 20 year olds on the pull, it is wild and boisterous. We opted for the two quieter pools in the middle of the resort, still lively but not as loud. We didn't get up any earlier than 8am and there were always plenty of beds with shade available.

Restaurants - the buffet restaurant was hectic at times but the staff ran it with amazing efficiency. Food was very good with plenty of choice. Have breakfast in the smaller open air restaurant by the beach it's so chilled out and never busy.

A la cartes - fantastic we ate in most of them and they were all excellent. Japanese was fun and the garden grill and Italian were delicious. You can email before you arrive and book your first weeks a la cartes.

Currency - don't bother taking pesos everyone deals in US dollars, take plenty of 1dollar bills for tipping.

Mosquitos - they have day biting mozzis and night biting mozzis take a repellant that is at least 50% deet.

Honestly, I may return to this resort but I would opt to stay at the Esmeralda rather than Bavaro or Punta Cana but that's just personal choice as I felt our resort was just too large.

Summing up I feel this resort is f

• Stayed August 2014
7 Thank meli-moo
Viancagraciano, customer service at Grand Bahia Principe Punta Cana, responded to this review, 14 August 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your experience at our Hotel and for mentioning the beautiful beach, very good variety of food, fantastic a la carte restaurants you visited and of course the five star service provide by our friendly and accommodating staff.

I would like to welcome you once again, next time in one of our Luxury Hotel and provide the most wonderful experience.

Kind regards,

Bayonne, New Jersey
Reviewed 13 August 2014

We arrived on Friday Aug. 8th and from day one we had a bad feeling about this place. On the day of our arrival we were greeted ok but was given a map to find our room. Being that this was the first time we were there we had no idea how to get to our room. One of the guys that was working there and had our luggage took us to our room. By the way we arrived at 12pm and we were not allowed to go into our room until 3pm. It was EXTREMELY hot and humid but we couldn't do anything about it. They gave up our wrist band and we went to eat. It gave us something to do until we could go into our room. My husband and I searched for our bathing suits and went to the pool. The pool was great the temperature of the water was amazing. We decided to get something to drink at the pool bar and ran into our 2nd problem. My husband asked politely for a drink and we were ignored. The 2nd time we asked for a drink one of the guys looked at him with a mean yet nasty look and ignored us again. Now while this man was ignoring us he was talking to a bunch of women who was throwing themselves sat them. So we finally left and it was time for our room to be given to us. When we got into the room it was a nice size but the fridge wasn't working. Since we can't drink water from the sink or didn't have access to an ice machine we drank the hot bottled water. If we wanted ice we had to call the front desk and if they had time it will be brought to us. On that night we were on our way to the dinner buffet and as we approached the door my husband was told he couldn't go in because he had a sleeveless shirt but yet woman in 2 piece bathing suit or no pants were allowed to go in. Now I was completely annoyed and couldn't take it anymore. I went to the front desk and spoke to the hotel director and told her my situation of the day. By this point my husband and I were in the hotel for about 6 hours. I was ready to go home. The director heard what we had to say and gave my husband a hotel shirt and a small upgrade which we didn't use because we didn't want to be in the hotel.
On our 2nd day we met up with our rep that gave up the do's and don't. We were told NOT to use the ATM because you will not get the correct amount of money due to the machine spitting out Dominican money not American money. If you don't know how to calculate the amount to ask for, you will not get the correct amount. The casino is rigged and you'll lose everything. Anytime we wanted to do an excursion we went to our rep and he will arrange everything. We paid him and we didn't do anything without his confirmation first. Don't book anything with the hotel because they'll over charge you and you will NOT get what they promise you. Up to the day we left we only ate breakfast and dinner because we didn't want to be at the hotel. Everything you have to pay for. We even had to pay for a in room safe (4 dollars a day) just to keep our belongings and passports in. Since our excursions was set up by our rep we had an amazing time. I do NOT recommend this hotel for couples or even a family with children. It does have a water park for the kids but if you are not staying in their hotel you won't be allowed to access to that pool. People in the restaurant (buffet) and a steak house was great. The people who work the hardest are the nicest people you'll meet. They work for pennies but are people who appreciate the job they have. We met one lady who told us they get paid 200 American dollars A MONTH. She has 4 kids and can't afford to lose her job so she tries to do her best and very quietly if she gets yelled at. It's very sad but they are beautiful people. I hope this helps people who are planning on going to this hotel or considering it.

Room Tip: Don't use the ATM Service is ok. Don't expect excellent service Make sure the men in your...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Vanessa N
Dear Vanessa,

I feel so sorry to hear that our service has not reached your expectations and we deeply regret the inconvenience you have experienced and I apologize for the bad attitude of some staff that made you wanted to left out of the hotel.

Thank you for bringing into our attention your observations concerning your visit to our Resort and it is unfortunate that you left disappointed and don’t want to come again.

Best regards,

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 12 August 2014

Front Desk: Check in was a nightmare ! Waited in line for 30min , no welcome drink . After waiting so long in line just to be told to go to the guest services desk to be assisted! Ask the front desk personnel if I could have some water but rudely told me I need to check in first just to get some water to drink! and that's just on the first day .. we sure did have more encounters with them finally we gave up and just seek JIANCARLO for all our needs.

Guest Services: Thank God for JIANCARLO! He was a lifesaver! Our check in packets were ready got us some water personally . He was very welcoming and every time he sees us he made sure to ask us if everything was ok. But the most wonderful thing he did for us was getting all 9 of us a dinner at one of the specialty restaurant even thou everyone in the guest service desk said that all restaurants were fully booked!
Rooms: We stayed at a Junior Suite Club Golden again thanks to JIANCARLO! Room was cleaned very well and the fresh flowers in the bathroom was a nice touch :) The Club Golden Suites are near the pool and beach.

Food: OK Buffet wish they change the menu on a daily basis . But the food at the Specialty restaurants are TERRIFIC!
Service: Every staff that we have encountered were very nice and polite except the FRONT DESK Note: most of them only speaks spanish.

Overall the resort is good for families. Grounds are always kept clean . Food needs some spicing to be more enticing and FRONT DESK needs to be taught how to SMILE and be more friendly!

Room Tip: Ask for the Golden Club Rooms it's near the BEACH and the POOLS
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Bernie E
Dear Bernie,

We are very pleased to read that you enjoyed this wonderful resort thanks to the excellent service provided by JianCarlo. At Bahia Principe our goal is to make your stay become an awesome experience. On the other hand I offer you an apology for the attitude of some staff at the front desk as first impression.

Thank you for your comments and looking forward to seeing you soon at this great place!!!

Regards from Punta Cana,

Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed 12 August 2014

Before I begin, I wanted to let you know I'm a travel agent. My feedback on this hotel does come from my own visit and inspections of the other Gran Bahia properties.

I just came back from this hotel August 1, 2014. I had my two boys ages 12 and 8 and my daughter who's 16 along with my two nieces, also 16. The grounds are beautiful. Beautiful flowers and trees and gardens. The rooms are average. When I was taken to my room, I was shown around and the first thing they showed me was the minifridge that was stocked with beer and pop. The handle on the fridge did break when the bellboy opened it for me but they sent someone right away to fix it. I noticed also the screen door was hard to lock, you had to twist a screw. Kind of strange, but it locked it. The beds were really comfortable.

The beach was amazing, so no problems there. Seaweed would come in every day, but the crew cleaned it the best they could every morning. There were plenty of beach chairs by the beach. However, the beach chairs by the pool were not enough. You really had to get up early to get a chair. I seen people carry beach chairs form the beach to the pool. A little inconvenient, but hey, it worked!
The pools were nice. No problems there.
The entertainment was ok.. some shows were better than others. The Michael Jackson show was good and so was the cirque de soleil type of show. The comedy show was really lame and if you have kids beware. The comedy show had a strip tease show and by the end there was a man naked on stage. Only thing he used to cover up was a pool board. I did hear many parents complain saying that it was really tacky they did that. I agree.
The buffet food was pretty good and no matter when you went there was always plenty of options to choose from. My family stayed there for 4 nights, but when I wanted to do al la carte reservations, I was always told there was no availability. I did complain and said it wasn't right they promote that but you cant get it. Everyday we were put on a waitlist and after I complained, we finally got a letter under our door by 615 saying we had reservations at 630 at the Steak house. Really? we were at the pool and nobody was ready and we couldn't make it. I called to ask them to extend it, but nobody ever answered. I was told we would be informed if the waitlist was cleared by 4. I went at 4, 430 and 5.. so I went back to the pool to tell my family we didn't get cleared. By the time we did go back to change for the regular buffet, it was already too late to go to the restaurant. When you have 4 ladies trying to get ready for dinner, you know 15 minutes is not nearly enough time.
I did ask other guests there about their dining experience. I asked this one lady and her daughter if they ever got reservations for dinner and she told me that they never had room for reservations and she was there for over a week. She said that she too tried everyday and nothing was ever cleared.

That was my main complaint. There were other smaller issues but not enough for me to really do anything about it.

One note, if you need the safe, you do need to pay upfront $4.00 a day.

I did do site inspections on the other properties there. I checked the Ambar, the Esmerelda and the Bavaro. Without a doubt, those were nicer and a little newer. Especially the Esmerelda. They had newer rooms and good pools. Cleaner lobby and better services. I do also have to say that that resort is huge. A few times I got lost and ended up in the lobby of the other resorts and never noticed till I got off the shuttle.

The shuttles are a good idea. Sometimes, however, walking to the destination was a little faster than waiting. Depending on the of the day.

You can do Segways at $30.00 per person. The kids really enjoyed that. I did sign the older girls for the banana boat trip and lets say that they really don't have real safety values. I wouldn't do that again. FYI But they do offer lots of water sports like jetskiing and parasailing but I never looked into that.

Room Tip: There are no rooms that are oceanfront or oceanview. So if youre looking for those kind of rooms, I...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Vicky A
Dear Vicky,

I would like to thank you for bringing to our attention your comments about your stay in our Hotel. It is through communications of this nature that our customers give us an opportunity to assess and evaluate our performance, as well as to ensure that we maintain and deliver the level of service expected from us. Thank you for mentioning the amazing beach and the pretty good food at the buffet.

Your observations regarding the dinners reservations have been share with the General Management of our Resort and we will give the proper attention, but anyways I would like to apologize for the inconvenient.

Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed 12 August 2014 via mobile

Just got back today 8/11/2014 five days four nights vacation. This is a humongous resort, five resorts on one property. Bahia Ambar: adults only, Bahia Esmeralda: luxury, Bahia Punta Cana, Bahia Bavaro, Bahia Premier. The problem I have with this is too much attention is given to Esmeralda and Ambar. Even if you are staying in the golden club level of the other three you feel cheated. Your room gets cleaned late or none at all. Reservations for the al la carte is near impossible. Limited choices at the buffet. Room service menu laughable. Bars close at 11pm forcing you to call it a night. It's a shame such a beautiful place with very nice employees but poorly managed. If u stay here stay at the Esmeralda or Ambar only then you won't see the deficiencies. They have a nice band on Saturday night on the Bavaro side.

Stayed August 2014
3 Thank Danieldaley
Dear Daniel,

We feel so sorry to hear that our services has not reached your expectations and because you felt you did not received the service you deserve. We thank you for taking the time of sharing your opinion with others on TripAdvisor which we will take in the highest consideration.

I hope to have another opportunity and honor us with your visit in order to change this impression about us.

Yours sincerely,

Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed 11 August 2014

This is the 2nd time I have visited Grand Bahia. The first time the food was mediocre and this time it was just plain poor. I knew it was going to be a challenge when we had to wait almost an hour because they didn't have my two rooms correctly configured. Despite booking 2 beds in each and even sending a confirmation email, they put us in King bed rooms, which doesn't work for 4 guys.

Second issue - they list Sky and Absolut Vodka as included but good luck finding it anywhere on the resort.

Third issue - Can't eat at the buffet in the main lobby if your shorts are damp. FYI - you are at a resort where people will swim so get chairs without cushions or have towels on hand for people to sit on them.

Fourth - the food was poor, except for breakfast. Hard to mess up an omelet. My stake was pounded out like show leather and the Italian food was just not pleasant (these were the reservation restaurants).

Fifth - Paid Wifi????? No one charges for that anymore and if you are going to charge, at least make it work.

The only thing they have going is the grounds are beautiful and the rooms are nice. I would not go back again.

I have been to Punta Cana 5x now and I just wish some resort would hire Chef's that know what they are doing. It is not about the volume of food people, it is about the quality.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank NCFreddy
Viancagraciano, customer service at Grand Bahia Principe Punta Cana, responded to this review, 12 August 2014
Dear Freddy,

I am really sorry to hear that you were not satisfied and you did not like our food concepts during your second visit. You can be sure that we will never cease our efforts to comply with our guests’ needs and expectations and I would like to apologize if you felt disappointed at this time.

I am looking forward to welcoming you in the near future in any of our Bahia Principe Hotels and have the opportunity to provide you a memorable experience on your next vacation, and be able to change any negative perception you may have about us.

Kind regards,

Grand Bahia Principe La Romana
Hotel Riu Palace Bavaro
Hotel Riu Palace Bavaro
#53 of 111 in Punta Cana

Been to Grand Bahia Principe Punta Cana? Share your experiences!