“It was a comfortable trip”

Grand Bahia Principe Punta Cana
Ranked #60 of 110 Hotels in Punta Cana
calgary
“It was a comfortable trip”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2009

This is probably one of the cleanest resorts we have stayed at! There are always people cleaning the grounds, lobby, etc. We found this resort a little to big for us. We had the Gold package, but when we arrived our room wasn't ready, they up-graded us to a diamond which enabled us to have a private pool, and book 4 ala carte resturants per week, but the room stayed the same. If you do not want to be surrounded by kids, I would suggest that you stay at the Ambar area, they have their own lobby, buffet, pools, etc. (wish we would have known about this when we booked), there were to many children around for our liking.

We found the buffet had just so-so food, I think that because they are making food for so many people it just wasn't up to par, (we have also stayed at the Gran Principe in San Ramo and the food was excellent). The ala carte resturant's were good, but what confused us is that when we booked them they made it seem like they were so full that we had to take what time they gave us, and every ala carte that we went to was maybe 1/3rd full and that was it, so found that weird! Also found that a few of the times you went to a nice ala carte and people with small children let them run around, under tables etc, so it took away have a nice meal.

Went to the beach a few times, but preferred the pool area, also when you are at the pool they do not have anyone walking around taking drink orders, you had to go to the bar yourself, which was not big deal.

We found that the rooms were really clean, and the staff really good. But also noticed that alot of the staff spoke minimal english.

But all in all it was a relaxing trip, we would return to Punta Cana but to a smaller resort.

We did have a couples massage at their spa, which was very good, I also had a pedicure and wouldn't do that again, the woman didn't speak english and I am sure they did not sanitize the instruments they used, when I got home I had a minor infection on a couple of my toes, so I wouldn't do that again!

2 Thank lmessner

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,431)
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Calgary
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2009

I'd read the reviews - good and bad - and decided to take it all with a grain of salt and have a good attitude that everything would work out.

And over all, we did have a good relaxing week. We have two young children and have very busy lives. So the "no responsibilities for a week" aspect was heavenly. But at this time, I doubt that I would return to this particular resort or any others in the Gran Bahia Principe chain.

This was our first all-inclusive vacation, so read this with a grain of salt as well.

Five-star status:
My understanding of the star status has to do with ammenities provided (number of pools, restaurants, etc.) and very little to do with cleanliness, service, condition of rooms, etc. So, while I would be tempted to say this was no five-star resort, in fact it technically probably is.

Food:
We were thrilled with the large selection at the buffet. While not everything was cooked to our liking, it was interesting to try new things every day. That being said, there was very limited tropical fruits - something I'd been looking forward to.
Burger at beach side grill was way undercooked and when my husband brought this to the cook's attention, the cook basically didn't care.
Language translations on cards by the food selections were really bad - I never knew there were 7 different ways to spell Zucchini. And I really enjoyed the French Break with Queso as well as the Spinach bell with flower of pear.... and apples skipped with the essence of jam of red onions. ;) Actually it was kind of funny and I enjoyed finding strange translations and trying to figure out exactly what they were trying to say. But seriously, they should pay more attention to those sorts of touches.

Also, I found the a la cartes provided decent meals but hardly any selection. Portions were very small (but no biggie as we had LOTS of food at lunch and breakfast buffets). Also, the a la carte staff seemed a little odd, but in this cute charming way. The fact that they only spoke a phrase or two of english but pretended like they could understand more. THen there was the people whose sole purpose was to remove glasses from the table, whether you're finished your drink or not. And they're all in identical tuxedo uniforms. It was like they were like alien robots who went to a special school to train exactly how to serve tourists and they could NOT vary from their prepared script. Just like the guy who said Bon Appetit everytime he came by...to give me a napkin or fill up a water glass or remove a finished plate or when we left. Ooo-kay. But as artificial as the a la cartes felt, it was strangely endearing.

One last thing to say about the food/water. We took precautions: Dukoral before the trip. Careful with what drinks we drank and no ice, etc. Brushing our teeth with bottled water, etc. Everything was good until we went to the Mexican A la carte on Wednesday. The next day, we both developed issues. It passed after about 24-36 hours. Then we had the mexican night buffet on Friday so we were careful and only ate bland stuff. Saturday early morning on our way home, we both developed issues. Now it is Monday, and while I've recovered, my husband is getting worse and has lost several lbs. if he doesn't improve very soon, he'll be in a hospital (back home in Calgary, thank goodness) on an IV. So much for being careful...

Alcohol:
either way to weak or way to strong. Sometimes you'd order a drink and if you didn't specify WITH alcohol, you'll get a virgin drink. Favourite was the Choco-Banana.
House wines, my husband described best as your amateur wine-making neighbour making you drink their homemade rancid wine and waiting for you to praise it. In other words, house wines (in the a la cartes) were terrible.

Condition of facilities:
disappointing.
large women's washroom near the Royal Golden checkin was gorgeous...but the toilet seats are all broken and I noticed the door knobs on some of the doors were not installed correctly (showing bare cuts of wood... shoddy work).

Our room also had broken toilet seat, and the tub when filled/drained appeared to leak into the wall and then through the tile on the other side, creating a puddle of water by our bed in the other room. silicone work was peeling and moulding. Stuff like that. There was a pull out mirror to see the back of your hair (I was so excited to see this - I have one at home and hate travelling b/c I've never had a hotel bathroom with one before) installed on the wall, but it was poorly done and felt like it was going to pull out of the wall every time I moved it.

I could go on....

Staff:
ranged from friendly to cold. We tipped everyone, especially our maid. Only to be rewarded on day #4 with finding that the maid had rifled through my suitcase. This was the most upsetting thing about our trip. We opted to forgo the safe and instead lock things with our combo locks on our suitcases. One morning, right before our Bavarro Runners tour was about to depart, I ran back to our room to change my shirt (I realized it was going to be too cool for a tank top), and on my way back out the door, I neglected to lock my suitcase. 10 hours later, we are back in our room. I showered, went to my suitcase to find it unlocked. Realized my mistake. Opened the suitcase top... AND FOUND THE MAID'S SMELLY CLEANING CLOTH SITTING INSIDE MY SUITCASE. My clothes were also rifled through and my purse was open with my wallet pulled half way out. I couldn't tell how much money was taken - maybe $20-30, maybe nothing. But I became extremely upset that in my wallet was some very personal information - my credit card number (and verification code of course), my drivers license with my address and phone, etc, my husband's health benefits card - thus, name of my husband, even my Blood donor card with my blood type on it. I don't take this sort of breach lightly. Identity theft should be a real concern for EVERYONE - there are people (mostly in poor countries) that pay for bits of information on people so that they can build profiles in order to eventually steal identities when enough info is attached to the file.

So, when I complained to reception, I got a blank stare and an "I don't understand the problem - you don't know if anything was taken and your ID is not physically missing, so what's the problem?" When I explained that I am upset that the maid had no business in my personal belongings and left evidence behind that directly implicates her, and I'm further upset with the prospect of potential identity theft, he started to understand. I had to fill out a statement and he had to go with me to my room with a security person to check it out. Security guy did not speak english so the reception desk guy had to translate back and forth. The whole time, the security guy could not understand why I was so upset... he said the person did not TAKE my credit card, so nothing was wrong. Basically that I was wasting my time. They left with the promise this would be investigated and I would hear back in 48 hours. I never did hear back. And now I get to contact Transunion and Equifax to have them place ID theft/fraud alerts on my files as a precaution.

Then, the next day, the maid placed an elaborate towel & flower display on our bed. Was she warned she'd been found out and this was a peace offering? I don't know. But I also know I didn't feel bad for not tipping her for the remaining 2 days of our stay.

Entertainment:
The shows were great fun, but our a la carte reservations were all late (when we checked in the reception person told us we could book for 6:30 OR 9:30, but should have said "between 6:30 and 9:30" so we booked late dinners, then when we realized our mistake, it was too late to change to earlier times.) so we missed the biggest shows (the super stars, michael jackson, etc)
A carnaval parade down the main drag to the beach on Thursday was short but fantastic.

Beach & Pools:
Almost nothing bad to say. Except some of the beach loungers were horribly sagged and would leave me with a bar sticking into my lower back all day.
Towel service was always out of cards by end of the afternoon.

Calling for assistance:
No help at all. Was given a direct # to call for the bell boy to come get our bags at 4 a.m. on our last day when we needed to check out. Called the number at 3:45 am. No answer, tried 5 times. Tried pressing the bell boy button, no answer, tried pressing the reception button, no answer. Then our phone rang and I answered - a rude staff member asked "are you checking out today? do you need help with your bags?" Yes, I explained that I tried to call several times to have someone come get them (we were close to the beach, far from reception), so he told me to call the # and gave it to me. I explained that no one was answering, and can you help me? Apparently he couldn't/wouldn't because he hung up on me. We ended up carting our suitcases on the 10 minute journey on our own. Also, there was a power outtage the night before... pitch black .... while we were trying to pack. Called reception and they said we could go there for candles. So my husband went there, and came back 30 minutes later saying they did not have candles there, and didn't know what he was talking about. He said it was chaos out by the buffett too. No one knew what was going on. Finally power came back on after an hour.

The other vacationers you meet:
Was surprised to find so many Europeans and people from Quebec. I'd say 60% of people at the resort were Quebecois, 20% European, and 20% english speaking provinces of Canada and Americans. Not that it made any difference... most other tourists were great... just an observation I made that I wasn't expecting.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank condawsmom
Nova Scotia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2009

ENTERTAINMENT: Brought a full house everynight. Never wanting to leave your seat until the very end.The energy given from their dancing and never missing a beat . The costumes that were gorgeous from their colors stood out on stage.
BEACH: Was very crowded ,no room to lay out and too many people at the beach. Water had a very rough surf.I would reccommend the pool where it was quite and less crowded.
THE ROOMS: They were very clean and well supplied with towels and the bar was filled with plenty of water, pop & beer everyday.
THE RESORT: Finding your way around takes up alot of your time because of the size of your resort. Every bungalow is the same color and shape.Over 2000 rooms.Beautiful and well kept grounds. A market 30 mins walking down to the right of the beach. Well worth it for the Liqour and coffee. You can bargain with them. The resort stores are very pricey

3 Thank lollypopgirl41
Toronto, ON
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2009

Went for a week from Feb 26 to Mar 5. This is our second time at the Gran Bahia Principe Punta Cana. We found everything met our expectations -- the room, food, service and the weather.

We booked our vacation on line with Air Canada Vacations. The package we booked translated into the Diamond Club package. Transfers to and from the resort were on time and uneventful. Morning/early afternoon arrivals usually wait for their rooms as check in is 3:00pm. If you have to wait, just enjoy the bar and soak up the atmosphere.

Room: The room was comfortable. We asked for the top floor ("ultimate piso"), but got the 2nd floor (there are three floors in the building we stayed at). There are no elevators. The bellboy will carry your luggage. We stayed in building villa 10, which is between the beach and the main building. The room has a small sitting area, table and chairs along with a balcony. The TV in the room is a 20" color flat-tube. Lots of satellite channels to choose from, including a Spanish cartoon channel. The bedding on the king-size bed was comfortable, and the bath was well stocked with towels, toiletries, soaps, bath gels and shampoo. The bath has a hand-held shower and jacuzzi tub. We did not use the tub. The bath does not have a bidet.

Beach (Playa): The beach has lots of palm-tree huts for shade. There is a pine tree in one area that provided shade but the needles from the tree was annoying. It is not allowed to reserve any sunbeds at the pool or beach, however, guests did reserve sunbeds. If you want to get a good spot, you may have to 'hold' your spot before 7:00am. But is you do not mind, you can always find a spot to enjoy the sun/shade. Currently, there is new construction (ran for the duration of our stay) on the east side of the resort, near the beach. We were not told about the construction. The area is fenced-off. The noise from the construction site tolerable, but not ideal if you were looking to snooze quietly on the beach. The noise did not bother us during our stay, but it was not expected or wanted. Try looking for a beach spot towards the Ambar side of the resort (or the left side of the resort if you are facing the ocean).
The weather during the week was sunny, hot and humid (as expected) but comfortable because of the breeze. There was one day that was overcast all day. It was stormy a few nights. Note: the water was designated with yellow flags every day due to the under tow and strength of waves.

Food/Service: The food and service is very good at both the buffet restaurants and a la carte restaurants. On a couple of occasions, the waiter replaced my near-empty glass of beer with a full one between courses without asking me. Not once did either of us become ill due to food or drink. The table is always set and the table cloths are always clean. The napkins are soft cotton napkins.

Tip: Instead of getting breakfast at the buffet restaurant in the hotel where everyone goes, we discovered they served breakfast at the "el pescador" restaurant, located near the beach and closer to our room. The breakfast selection is not as extensive as the main buffet restaurant -- smaller selection of items and no made-to-order omelettes, but it's much more convenient.

Entertainment: We did not partake in the evening shows this time. The pathways in the resort are well lit so you are able to enjoy an evening walk before or after dinner.

Shopping: The Pueblo Principe is an open air mini market enclosing many cart sellers, who are very aggressive, but do not be intimidated into buying anything.

Health tip: My partner gets mosquito bites whenever we visit tropical climates and takes precautions to limit the number of bites. Mosquitoes bite in early morning and evenings, it is advisable to wear a light insect repellent.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
6 Thank SunnySiderToronto_ON
Hamilton, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2009

Just returned from a week at the Gran Bahia Punta Cana with my husband and two sons. We had an amazing trip and would highly recommend this resort.
I had followed Trip Advisor prior to leaving and was ready for anything. I knew that this was a large resort and there would be wait times, but I was very impressed by the service. On the occassion that there was a line-up for the buffet, it moved VERY quickly and the staff was very efficient and getting people into the restaurant.
The room was spotless. I was concerned that we would not have enough towels based on some of the reviews that I read. The second day we only received a couple of towels. But every other day the towels were restocked...and, at least three times over the coarse of the vacation, a maid knocked at the door to provide even more towels.
The service was excellent too. On the second day of our trip, the air conditioner stopped working and I was very worried that we would get no help. My husband cannot live without his air! We made a call to the front desk and within 20 mins of the call someone was at our room and quickly fixed the situation (tip - the sliding door to the patio is connected to the air conditioning, so if the door is not closed or off its tracks, as in our case, the air conditioner will not come on). The service man quickly put the door back on its tracks and the situation was fixed. We thought this was pretty good service for such a large hotel.
I am now an expert at the "towel game": On the first full day of our stay, we went to the pool closest to our Villa after breakfast and only managed to find one lounge chair in the sun for all four of us. The second day, I had my 10 year old son run to the pool before we left for breakfast - he managed to find two lounge chairs, but they were both in the sun. We like our sun - but are a pretty pasty family (lol) and would prefer to sit under an umbrella. So...on the third day, my son and I set our alarm for 5am and quickly ran to the pool and had the pick of the crop. Needless to say, for the rest of the vacay we had the BEST seats at the pool! My son and I loved this game and the early morning hours were beautiful and quiet.
We were in Villa 17 - so we were located close to the lobby and further from the beach. We couldn't play the "towel game" at the beach since we were so far - although my son wanted to. So, we spent the mornings at the pool nearest the room, had lunch and took a break. Then, headed to the beach between 2 and 3 pm. We had no problems what-so-ever finding a lounger at the beach. The breeze on the beach was beautiful - my husband and I enjoyed the ocean and a good book. My sons had a great time going between the ocean and the large pool (they totally enjoyed watching the drunk people and entertainment at this pool - the pool by our room was much quieter and more sedate).
We had dinner at 3 a la carte restaurants: Our fave was the Dominican Restaurant - the shrimp entree was fabulous and the ambiance was great - eating under a thatched roof with a cool breeze blowing. We also enjoyed the Seafood Restaurant - the appetizer buffet was super, you didn't need an entree after that! And, the French/Gourmet restaurant - we loved the lobster entree.
People who complain about the "language" barrier really need to get over themselves. A lot of the staff didn't speak English, but they were trying. Part of the reason that we go away, is so we can experience other cultures. I loved saying Hola! to everyone and "gracias". We always managed to get our point across and understand the response. It was all part of the fun!
My only complaint would be the venders in the Market Square. I found them to be a little pushy and I'm not good at bargaining. At the beginning of the trip I found it quite frustrating, because I like to "window shop". I had planned to look and see what I liked and at the end of my trip purchase something. Well - it was difficult to get near these guys without them trying to sell you ANYTHING. All I wanted to do was LOOK. After the first couple of days I got use to it and was less frustrated. I guess it is just all part of the experience! lol.
I would definitely recommend this resort to anyone. Because it is so large it has something for everyone. The resort is beautiful, the beach is beautiful and the staff is great. So go and enjoy!!!

• Stayed February 2009, travelled with family
8 Thank 4Lease
canada777_9
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2009

I went to the Gran Bahia last year with a friend and from the moment we arrived at the hotel, our problems began. We had to wait for a few hours for our hotel room to be ready, even though everyone else's was ready. When we finally got our room, it was a smoking room, which we requested a NON-smoking room. The television didn't work, the shower didn't work, the air conditioner was broken, the lock box didn't work properly. We called the front desk many times for assistance but we ended up waiting and wasting our first night their with no help. Not one employee could help us with selecting restaurants for the week, we were giving different explanations each time on how to go about and do this. We both woke up a few times in the mornings to bug bites all over our legs and feet. Again, called for service to maybe have the sheets changed or something, but they didn't do anything. The food was good, sometimes the service was slow, but overall, a variety to choose from that was always fresh and hot. The beach was nice and big, however, if you wanted to stay by the pool, good luck finding a chair. The extra curricular activities were a blast! This resort is definitely more for families, so if you're looking to get away from that crowd, try another resort. I personally wouldn't go again but I wouldn't tell anyone to not go. Everyone has their own experiences with resorts.

• Stayed November 2008, travelled with friends
Fargo, ND
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2009

We stayed at the Gran Bahia from Feb. 18th to the 25th. We had a great time. The place is kept up really well and very clean.
No one spoke english, but it's a spanish speaking country, so I can't really complain.
The pools were beautiful but you could NEVER find a chair unless you woke up at 7 a.m. and put your towel on one. Our towels were also stolen several times.
Another annoying thing about the pool is that the bars closed at 5 every night.
The food was pretty good for the most part. The buffet had a great selection but got a bit redundant after a few days. We went to the French restaurant for one of our meals. It was really good. Great lamb. The second one that we went to was the Seafood restaurant. Just okay. The last one that we went to was Japanese, which was our favorite.
This resort is huge. There are trolleys running all the time which was nice otherwise it was about a 15 minute walk to the beach.
We took a day trip to Saona Island. We really enjoyed it except for we were not told that it was a 2 hour drive each way to get to the boat. The boat was not exactly "luxury" like we were told either. The island was BEAUTIFUL though and it was the highlight of the trip.
I would definitely go back but I think that I would upgrade to the Diamond club just because there were LOTS of kids everywhere, especially in the pool area.
Overall, the staff was really friendly and the place was beautiful and clean and we hope to return!

2 Thank AnnaFargo
VIK Hotel Cayena Beach
VIK Hotel Cayena Beach
#80 of 110 in Punta Cana
Grand Bahia Principe La Romana

Been to Grand Bahia Principe Punta Cana? Share your experiences!