“5 Star looking hotel with 4 star service!”

Grand Bahia Principe Punta Cana
Ranked #65 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
philadelphia
“5 Star looking hotel with 4 star service!”
Reviewed 24 April 2009

The hotel is very large and beautiful. We had a wonderful time i would go back. Book Resturants as soon as you arrive.The only real prob we had was with the resturants being all booked up and we tryed booking them the morning after we arrived ) =. we could not get in for even 1 resevation! but we spoke to the manager about it and he was very kind to fit us in. when we went to the resturants they were all not even half full, witch upset us. but If ur looking for a 5 star hotel with with 4 star service, stay here. The resort is huge but i loved it, walking everywhere....if ur not up 4 the walk they have shuttles to the beach and lobby and inbetween!

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank philadelphia023

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,473)
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
BC
Reviewed 24 April 2009

Absolutely spectacular holiday. Stayed in villa 21, Sandra was our house keeper, what a great lady. My wife and 3 kids, 12 and under, had 2 adjoining rooms as requested and it worked out perfectly. We alternated between the pool and beach during the day to explore and experience the different activities available to all ages. They had ping pong, volleyball, slides and climbing walls (the inflatable kind) available just to mention a few activities. We went on one excursion to swim with the shark and ray, what a great time. Thanks to Mr. Sharky and crew for being so good to my kids. Very patient and supportive crew. I could go on and on about how much fun we had. The Royal Golden package was worth the extra money for us, as we liked being close to the beach, We booked well in advance so maybe that was why we had no problem getting adjoining rooms. Furthermore, if you are flying from Vancouver, I would recommend paying extra for the big seats (Air Transat) because it is a long flight, especially with 3 kids. We had 7 days of full sun, take lots of lotion SPF 50 for kids, very important!!!

Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 23 April 2009

This was my first trip to the Dominican Republic. I have been to Cuba & the Myan Riviera 3 times and this by far was the most beautiful place I have visited. Lets start with the Dominican people. No matter whether we were at meals, walking to the beach or just hanging out on the patio, the staff would be smiling, singing, dancing and asking us if we were ok, or needed anything. Don't get me wrong there were some staff that would barely look at you in the resort gift shop in particular, but for the most part so helpful & kind.
We arrived at 7:30 Am and our rooms were ready for us by 11 AM. The rooms were clean, well stocked & your maid left many small extra touches. ie: extra slippers, chocolates, your things folded etc.
The food was amazing, lots of variety and plenty of it. No line ups to make mention of . Hand sanitizer was at the door of each restaurant & a welcome addition to those of us with sensitive systems.
Any issues or concerns were dealt with immediately, for instance my room key did not work my first night. After a trip to the front desk to have it rekeyed, there was a repairman waiting at my door upon my arrival back to my room to be sure it was ok & save me another trip back, if it didn't.
The Transat staff recommended a shop in town called Nichole's with free transportation there & back. Save your time & don't bother going. It is expensive & small, no deals or real variety. The shops on resort had better prices & more items to look at.
They also recommended a Tropical Storm catamaran trip, again, save your money & time. We took the day trip & were cruised up & down the coastline of our hotel at a snails pace, rushed through snorkeling at the reef, offered an inflatable waterslide to use & a floating bar at a private beach the size of a Frisbee, no snacks & a dismal lunch of sandwiches & pasta salad. Not much for someone who was looking for open waters & new sights outside the resort coastline that I walked everyday!
I give the Bahia Principe chain a 2 thumbs up for a real trouble & stress free vacation.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with friends
Nova Scotia
Reviewed 21 April 2009

There were four of us on a girlfriend getaway week and we all agreed that this was the best relaxing vacation that we had taken in a few years. We usually take a vacation every two years since 2001 and normally go to Cuba but we thought we try the DR and were not disappointed. I'd like to first say please take some of the negative reviews with a grain of salt. After reading some of the other reviews I wondered if they were even at this resort. The only rudeness that I witnessed over and over again was from other guests. There is a lot of people that don't realize that you need to stand in line when there is one. I never saw staff being rude but I definitely saw guests being very rude to the staff. I guess my parents brought me up better. When tourists come to Canada they are usually not expecting us to speak their native language. That's why they learn a few english words to get by. When I go to a spanish speaking country I don't expect them to speak english. That is why I learned a few spanish words to get by and low and behold it worked....so lighten up all you worldly travellers and learn some spanish and manners. Now on to the review....

We stayed here the week of April 4 - 11. We stayed in the Royal Golden section and the upgrade was worth it. We arrived before noon and our rooms were not ready yet. We were given our bracelets on the bus ride to the resort and were told to come back after lunch and they might ready then. Checkin is not until3:00 so we weren't overly concerned. We left our suitcases in a designated area and went off to explore and have lunch. We came back around 1:30 and the rooms were ready so we were able to get rid of the suitcases and hit the beach by 2:00. I had sent an email about a week before we left asking to have our two rooms together and on the 2nd or 3rd floor. We got exactly what we asked for and were in bldg 8 which was great. The resort is large but very easy to get around. They have at least two trolleys that go back and forth from the main front lobby to the beach continously. Where our bldg was we were maybe a 2 minute walk to the beach and a 3-4 minute walk to the front lobby area.

The food was great. We ate at the main lobby buffet for breakfast and supper - huge selection of foods for either meal. The supper menu usually had a theme each night such as spanish, italian. The main lobby bar is just outside of this buffet and we were pleasantly surprised to see a spanish coffee bar set up on the night of the spanish theme....nice touch. They usually had a corresponding after-dinner coffee bar set up every night. With the Royal Golden package you get 4 al a cartes for the week. We booked them all on sunday morning for the week. We tried the Mediterrean (not bad), the French gourmet (not bad) and the Japanese (our fav - was an awsome meal). We passed on our 4th one - the BBQ near the beach - so can't comment. We ate lunch at the El Pescador which is right by the main pool area and it was great. We also ate a few breakfasts there too and they were fine. We also ate lunch at the two open air restaurants beside the main pool areas and they were great also.

Yes everyone seems to save their chairs with their towels at the pool areas and the beach. We usually took turn running down with the towels around 6:15, 6:30 and never had a problem. If you dont do this then you will have a problem trying to find chairs in the shade.

The beach is incredible. It is one of the busiest beaches that I have been to but it gorgeous and worth getting up to go save your chairs.

Shopping - we walked down the beach to the shopping "shacks" and it takes about 20-25 minutes to walk. You definitely haggle with the vendors on the pricing but it is all fun and you can get some really good deals. Plus there is this little tiny bar and imagine our surprise when we ordered some beer and it was ice-cold quart bottles of El Presidente beer (which isn't bad when it is cold). A great way to top off a shopping excursion! The shopping within the resort is more expensive and they don't haggle the price in the shops. There is a entertainment area on the other side of the main lobby and there are shops, karaoke bar, disco, casino and shopping kiosks (they'll haggle with you)in the inner courtyard area. There is also a stage area where bands will play during the evenings.

Our rooms were great and were very clean and spacious. They were cleaned every day and we never once had any issue with our rooms/towels etc. We had to call the concierge twice - once because we didn't program the safe correctly and another time when one of the ladies in our group locked her suitcase key in the suitcase. Both times we had a repair guy within an hour - not bad considering the size of this resort and it was fully booked the week we were there. When we first checked into our rooms, ur beach towels were already in our rooms so that was nice and we all had bathrobes and slippers in each room. Room Service is part of Royal Golden (I don't know if it was avaible in the other rooms) and this was a really nce touch as we did use it a couple of times for those nights when we were just tired and had too many cervesas and didn't feel like going out to the restaurants. The menu was limited and we only tried the chicken nuggets/fries and caesar salad. The nuggets were actually chicken tenders in a nice crunchy batter but the salad was not the best as they use iceberg lettuce and a very bland dressing.

We did the Saona Island Catamaran excursion and what a blast it was - would highly recommend it but would not recommend that you take any kids on it as it was a party cruise and the rum and beer flowed freely.

All in all it was a wonderful vacation and we are already planning on going back to this resort. We met a lot of nice people and if you are reading this, hi to Brenda and Andrew fron NB and to Joy and her daughter from the UK.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with friends
2 Thank FromNStoCuba
Montreal
Reviewed 21 April 2009

My mother and I went to the Bahia Principe (Golden section) for a week of relaxation at the end of March 2009. We read all the great reviews on here, which influenced our decision to go. When we arrived, our vision was slowly destroyed.

The UGLY: They stole my credit card number. You have to pay to use the safe in this hotel, $35 per week. This is a ripoff, but but wanted to use the safe to feel more secure. Ha! I paid for the safe by credit card and thought everything was fine. Then last weekend (3 weeks after the trip) Mastercard called and said that someone had tried to make a huge long-distance phone card from the Dominican Republic. The only time i used my credit card the entire time we were away was at the Golden Club desk to pay for the safe. They are THIEVES. Do not stay here.

The Bad: There is construction right next to the resort. Any room that is close to the beach is also close to construction. if you get up before 7am and don't go back to your room until 11:30pm, it will not bother you. But believe me, if you are in your room trying to sleep with the construction nooise, you can't. it was awful. i dreaded going back to teh room beacuse of the noise. Also, the walls are VERY thin and you can hear EVERYTHING that goes on outside your room and also in your neighbours' rooms. We asked to cahnge rooms several times but we were told this was not possible. I am fluent in Spanish so it was not a translation problem.

The food is terrible too. It was the exact same crappy buffet for every single meal. I am not a picky eater but we were both sick of the food by day 2. The only restaurant that was slightly different was the japanese one.

The service is really bad. People are rude and act bored, and the guy at teh internet place (3 computers for the whole resort) sexually harassed me despite NO encouragement. The staff don't even try to accomodate a simple request- e.g. "Please have the room cleaned by 4pm" was ignored. The maid service was slow and we never had enough towels (all we wanted was 2 bath towels and 2 hand towels). This was despite tipping a few dollars per day! Terrible.

There is a fitness centre, which i was looking forward to using, but it is a few tired bicylces, 2 broken treadmills, and some free weights in a small windowless room. Quite disappointing.

The Good: The resort is very clean. I never saw one bug in our room and there were very few flies. No mosquitoes either. The landscapers work very hard, unlike most of the other staff. The beach is really beautiful- long pale yellow sand beach, you can walk for miles. We spent all of our time on the beach to avoid being in our loud, unrestful room (even in the rain- yes, the construction goes on through the rain). The water was a bit cold and wavy but fun to swim in. The beach is very crowded but if you look hard enough you always got a chair. The shows were good, especially the Michael Jackson one and the acrobatic one. The performers are really talented and work hard every night.

If you want to have an overpriced, so-so vacation with a nice beach, no rest and your credit card number stolen by hotel front desk staff, then this is the place for you.

If you want more info, please email me: christopher@gmail.com.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank montreal12345
new jersey
Reviewed 20 April 2009

We stayed at this hotel from April 5-15. Because of an overbooked missed flight in Newark, we had to leave two days later. Our travel agent notified the hotel of our change in arrangements and we were told there was no problem.
Of course upon arrival at the hotel they had no info about our new arrangements. To make matters worse they really seemed totally unconcerned with our situation. During our conversation the hotel clerk kept answering his phone. Initially we thought this was related to our problem but he was pretty much serving as a switchboard operator. After a lot of back and forth we were put on a list and finally assigned a room at 4 pm. Upon our arrival to the room we realized we were in the handicapped room. No big problem exept the shower had no curtain, door, tub, any kind of division from the rest of the bathroom. We were told we could change in the morning but decided against this because of the nighmare at the front desk. Two days later a family member slipped on the tiles(After a shower the entire room became a skating rink) We did change (the hotel clerk seemed totally unconcerned that someone fell in a room and yanked out a towel rack trying to save their fall, never asked if they were ok, nothing) and surprisingly got a nice room. Unfortunately they never changed our reservation so two days before our check out they locked the room. Oh, did I mention this resort is HUGE. We had to track down our kids to let them know they had no access to the room and then off we went to the front desk. Same service. A guy on the computer and answering phones. We were told to wait in the lobby until they figured this out. After an hour my irate husband went back to the desk and finally fixed the situation. What they wanted was more money. Had we known this initially we would have been happy to comply just to get on with our vacation
Food- Barely edible. We are so not picky eaters. We're there for fun and sun, not gourmet dining. Everything was sloppy, greasy and all the same food but at different stations. The a la carte restaurants were a joke.
The only positive thing about this resort is the how nice all labor staff working there were. No, not the management but the maids, bartenders,groundskeepers etc. My husband has worked in resorts at the management level for 25 years. He said he has never witnessed such a lack of compassion and service ANYWHERE. Normally, when a problem arises the manager on duty will always be notified. Even when we asked to see the manager we were asked Why?
God forbid if something happens to you while at this resort. We kept a close eye on our teenagers because we were scared that if they went missing or something happened we would be in BIG TROUBLE. Stayed at the Grand Palladium last year and had the best vacation ever, wish we had been there...

Baltimore
Reviewed 19 April 2009

Took full family - 2 adults, 1 17 year old, 2 10 year olds, and 7 year old.

The place is HUGE. Make sure you get a room somewhat close to the beach. We got lucky with our's but try to get a Golden Principe or Diamond Principe villa. Those were prime. We didn't have those, but we were pretty well located between the beach and the main lobby.

Other people staying - pretty much from all over - but from most to least, I'd say Canadians, US Americans, South Americans, Europeans of all countries...

Talking to people - most of the workers speak little to no english. After going to Cancun my family was spoiled with the quality of english. Just something to know before going. Brushing up on your spanish would be helpful.

Food - the buffet was solid and changed themes each night of the week. I had one waiter, Francisco, who always had 2 beers in front of me, so that was nice. But if you don't get a decent english-speaking waiter, you may not see them much and have to chase them down.

Dinner reservations - if you want to stray from the buffet, you really need to make your reservations at the 'restaurants' the second you arrive at the resort. We stayed a week and ended up with only one reservation option on our last night -- at 9:45pm! Folks staying 2 weeks like a lot of the Euros probably wouldn't have this problem. That being said, the Japanese restaurant we ended up going to wasn't really worth the wait.

Beach - water and sand was beautiful. They have a 'policy' that says you can't reserve the beach chairs but everyone does it anyway, which is really frustrating unless you are willing to wake up at 5:45am and snake yourself a prime umbrella spot and then go back to bed and get breakfast. It really sucks that you have to do that, because at 9:30am the beach is empty but ALL of the good spots are taken.

Transportation - they have a set of trollies that take people around the compound. Never have to wait more than a few minutes.

Partying - pool bars open at 10am but close around 5 or so. That could improve. The Puebla Principe area is a lot of fun after 10pm. They have some sort of show, and then you can hit the Disco (full of 17-early 20's) or the Karaoke bar. Lots of outside seating too with waiters bringing drinks.

Teenagers - might want to be careful. Some girl got her nose broken while partying. She thinks someone might have put something in her drink. Maybe she was just drunk, but either way, keep your teens informed of what can happen.

Entertainment-they have a entertainment crew which seemed ok, not great. The shows they do each night are pretty solid and they put a lot of effort into them. They did a Lion King show on Friday and if your kid goes to the Kids club that day, they can be in the show as a baby lion or something. That's pretty cool.

Kid Stuff
Swim-up bars have plenty of kid-friendly drinks.
On Saturday, they had this floating obstacle course in the pool and they had an olympics of sorts on it. Very fun for the kids.
Mini-golf - pretty sad course but I guess my kids still enjoyed it. They don't have lot of putters apparently, so they have to share.
Kids club - my kids didn't get too into it. Not 100% sure why but they didn't have too many english-speakers to talk to. No big deal.

Internet - you have to pay to get connected. It's in the Puebla Principe.

1 Thank MarshFromMd