“Great hotel”

Ranked #66 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
new york
“Great hotel”
Reviewed 27 April 2009

I am a hotelier and have been in the industry for 18 years. So, please take my word for it. The rooms are spacious, clean, simply decorated but functional. The resort is not really as big as it is drummed up to be and it is a good thing. You can walk from one end to the other in 15 minutes to give you an idea. There are shuttles running practically around the clock 6a.m. to 3 a.m. 21 hours a day. The only time we took the shuttle was when my 7 year old daughter wanted to ride it for fun. The beach is clean and nice. It is a little crowded but it is not like some of the beaches in Europe where you literally are putting your head next to someone else's. The staff was very nice. Having a few dollars with you always helps. These people work very hard so give them a dollar when they serve you a drink and they will remember you forever.

The drinks served were plentiful and great but if you want premium drinks - top of the shelf- or particular brand names, they have it ( and it is very cheap ). Drink the local rum ( ron ) which is fresh and sweet.
For the restaurants: The restaurants that are by reservation suck with the full sense of the word. They are slow, bad and too small. It is hard to get a reservation at the time you want it. Our travel agency booked us the spots we got there but after the first dinner, we canceled the rest. The buffet is great! try local fish caught and delivered daily, grilled very simply, fresh salads, fruits, and desserts. I recommend bringing your own wine or at least order the wine off the menu which is 15 to 30 bucks with dinner because the house wine is really not good. Overall, this hotel gets a passing grade from me if you can overlook some flaws and notice how hard the staff is working to keep it going. Thank you

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with family
3 Thank selcukny

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,481)
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Halifax
Reviewed 26 April 2009

April 9-16th; at the resort over Easter Holiday (hotel was sold out) and you would never know it was Easter as all services/water sports were in full service.
Beach>beautiful sand (don't need water shoes)/ no bugs at all/able to get chairs anytime during the day in the sun or shade even though many reserved with towels
Accomodations>were in building 71 just built a few months ago; 5 min walk to the beach or lobby (restaurant). Slight must smell due to humidity but very clean and comfortable; nice marble bathrooms
Food>huge variety; some things unable to tell what they were/every night a different theme for variety/ easy to eat lunch at the buffet by the pool/beach/were able to book "al la carte" but could only get after after 8:00 pm ; French (not good for kids) and Japanese very good (good for kids)
Entertainment>every night by the lobby/Michael Jackson and Disco show good but beware with young kids that the cast at times wear limited clothing

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank HalifaxSueC
Essex
Reviewed 25 April 2009

This is a complex of 4/5 Hotels, if you are in the Punta Cana Hotel you are restricted to two pools and selected bars?. There are a total of 2,700 rooms, soon to be expanded to 3,700.rooms, for part of our stay the Hotel was full to the brim with 6,000 guests. This is the largest complex that we have stayed, it took me a few days to work out that you must be up with your towels by 6.45am at the latest to secure your beds and shade. The average temperature was over 100f, the pool bars have no shade? The alternative was to go to the beach, an easy option . However the Hotel owns a small beach front, all the beds are crammed together and again there is limited shade! I wondered if it was the Hotel's policy to recreate the " Spanish Holidays of the 70's" something which most Brits would avoid like the plague. During our stay we came across a number of people who had tummy problems and ear infections, this I put down to the pool bars, the number of people (not the youngsters, the older one's) who sit at these bars for hours on end drinking, without leaving the pool for the obvious,
NOW FOR GOOD BITS!
The whole complex is the cleanest that we have ever come across, the food in the restaurants was of a very high standard, the salards were fresh as can be, hot food was hot, with a vast selection to tempt any palete, the restaurants were very clean well run and the staff wre polite and on their toes. The reception and bar areas were spotless, the waiters were quick and polite, I tipped our waiters $5US every evening. The drinks were good 90% of the time. Our room was large and clean and our maid very good we gave her $10US at the start of the holiday and $10US at the end, there were no ants bugs etc. The aircon was quiet as was the fan, even the fridge was quiet, the bathroom was large, the towels were faded at times but always clean.
Overall we had a great holiday and made some very nice friends.
What makes this Hotel stand out for me was, the staff, the quality of the food, how clean and well kept every thing was. The down side, it does get very hot there and having no sunbed and no shade was bad, there were a few problems with beds being taken having been reserved . For this reason I would not recommend this Hotel untll the problem is solved, which is a shame!

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
philadelphia
Reviewed 24 April 2009

The hotel is very large and beautiful. We had a wonderful time i would go back. Book Resturants as soon as you arrive.The only real prob we had was with the resturants being all booked up and we tryed booking them the morning after we arrived ) =. we could not get in for even 1 resevation! but we spoke to the manager about it and he was very kind to fit us in. when we went to the resturants they were all not even half full, witch upset us. but If ur looking for a 5 star hotel with with 4 star service, stay here. The resort is huge but i loved it, walking everywhere....if ur not up 4 the walk they have shuttles to the beach and lobby and inbetween!

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank philadelphia023
BC
Reviewed 24 April 2009

Absolutely spectacular holiday. Stayed in villa 21, Sandra was our house keeper, what a great lady. My wife and 3 kids, 12 and under, had 2 adjoining rooms as requested and it worked out perfectly. We alternated between the pool and beach during the day to explore and experience the different activities available to all ages. They had ping pong, volleyball, slides and climbing walls (the inflatable kind) available just to mention a few activities. We went on one excursion to swim with the shark and ray, what a great time. Thanks to Mr. Sharky and crew for being so good to my kids. Very patient and supportive crew. I could go on and on about how much fun we had. The Royal Golden package was worth the extra money for us, as we liked being close to the beach, We booked well in advance so maybe that was why we had no problem getting adjoining rooms. Furthermore, if you are flying from Vancouver, I would recommend paying extra for the big seats (Air Transat) because it is a long flight, especially with 3 kids. We had 7 days of full sun, take lots of lotion SPF 50 for kids, very important!!!

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with family
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 23 April 2009

This was my first trip to the Dominican Republic. I have been to Cuba & the Myan Riviera 3 times and this by far was the most beautiful place I have visited. Lets start with the Dominican people. No matter whether we were at meals, walking to the beach or just hanging out on the patio, the staff would be smiling, singing, dancing and asking us if we were ok, or needed anything. Don't get me wrong there were some staff that would barely look at you in the resort gift shop in particular, but for the most part so helpful & kind.
We arrived at 7:30 Am and our rooms were ready for us by 11 AM. The rooms were clean, well stocked & your maid left many small extra touches. ie: extra slippers, chocolates, your things folded etc.
The food was amazing, lots of variety and plenty of it. No line ups to make mention of . Hand sanitizer was at the door of each restaurant & a welcome addition to those of us with sensitive systems.
Any issues or concerns were dealt with immediately, for instance my room key did not work my first night. After a trip to the front desk to have it rekeyed, there was a repairman waiting at my door upon my arrival back to my room to be sure it was ok & save me another trip back, if it didn't.
The Transat staff recommended a shop in town called Nichole's with free transportation there & back. Save your time & don't bother going. It is expensive & small, no deals or real variety. The shops on resort had better prices & more items to look at.
They also recommended a Tropical Storm catamaran trip, again, save your money & time. We took the day trip & were cruised up & down the coastline of our hotel at a snails pace, rushed through snorkeling at the reef, offered an inflatable waterslide to use & a floating bar at a private beach the size of a Frisbee, no snacks & a dismal lunch of sandwiches & pasta salad. Not much for someone who was looking for open waters & new sights outside the resort coastline that I walked everyday!
I give the Bahia Principe chain a 2 thumbs up for a real trouble & stress free vacation.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with friends
Nova Scotia
Reviewed 21 April 2009

There were four of us on a girlfriend getaway week and we all agreed that this was the best relaxing vacation that we had taken in a few years. We usually take a vacation every two years since 2001 and normally go to Cuba but we thought we try the DR and were not disappointed. I'd like to first say please take some of the negative reviews with a grain of salt. After reading some of the other reviews I wondered if they were even at this resort. The only rudeness that I witnessed over and over again was from other guests. There is a lot of people that don't realize that you need to stand in line when there is one. I never saw staff being rude but I definitely saw guests being very rude to the staff. I guess my parents brought me up better. When tourists come to Canada they are usually not expecting us to speak their native language. That's why they learn a few english words to get by. When I go to a spanish speaking country I don't expect them to speak english. That is why I learned a few spanish words to get by and low and behold it worked....so lighten up all you worldly travellers and learn some spanish and manners. Now on to the review....

We stayed here the week of April 4 - 11. We stayed in the Royal Golden section and the upgrade was worth it. We arrived before noon and our rooms were not ready yet. We were given our bracelets on the bus ride to the resort and were told to come back after lunch and they might ready then. Checkin is not until3:00 so we weren't overly concerned. We left our suitcases in a designated area and went off to explore and have lunch. We came back around 1:30 and the rooms were ready so we were able to get rid of the suitcases and hit the beach by 2:00. I had sent an email about a week before we left asking to have our two rooms together and on the 2nd or 3rd floor. We got exactly what we asked for and were in bldg 8 which was great. The resort is large but very easy to get around. They have at least two trolleys that go back and forth from the main front lobby to the beach continously. Where our bldg was we were maybe a 2 minute walk to the beach and a 3-4 minute walk to the front lobby area.

The food was great. We ate at the main lobby buffet for breakfast and supper - huge selection of foods for either meal. The supper menu usually had a theme each night such as spanish, italian. The main lobby bar is just outside of this buffet and we were pleasantly surprised to see a spanish coffee bar set up on the night of the spanish theme....nice touch. They usually had a corresponding after-dinner coffee bar set up every night. With the Royal Golden package you get 4 al a cartes for the week. We booked them all on sunday morning for the week. We tried the Mediterrean (not bad), the French gourmet (not bad) and the Japanese (our fav - was an awsome meal). We passed on our 4th one - the BBQ near the beach - so can't comment. We ate lunch at the El Pescador which is right by the main pool area and it was great. We also ate a few breakfasts there too and they were fine. We also ate lunch at the two open air restaurants beside the main pool areas and they were great also.

Yes everyone seems to save their chairs with their towels at the pool areas and the beach. We usually took turn running down with the towels around 6:15, 6:30 and never had a problem. If you dont do this then you will have a problem trying to find chairs in the shade.

The beach is incredible. It is one of the busiest beaches that I have been to but it gorgeous and worth getting up to go save your chairs.

Shopping - we walked down the beach to the shopping "shacks" and it takes about 20-25 minutes to walk. You definitely haggle with the vendors on the pricing but it is all fun and you can get some really good deals. Plus there is this little tiny bar and imagine our surprise when we ordered some beer and it was ice-cold quart bottles of El Presidente beer (which isn't bad when it is cold). A great way to top off a shopping excursion! The shopping within the resort is more expensive and they don't haggle the price in the shops. There is a entertainment area on the other side of the main lobby and there are shops, karaoke bar, disco, casino and shopping kiosks (they'll haggle with you)in the inner courtyard area. There is also a stage area where bands will play during the evenings.

Our rooms were great and were very clean and spacious. They were cleaned every day and we never once had any issue with our rooms/towels etc. We had to call the concierge twice - once because we didn't program the safe correctly and another time when one of the ladies in our group locked her suitcase key in the suitcase. Both times we had a repair guy within an hour - not bad considering the size of this resort and it was fully booked the week we were there. When we first checked into our rooms, ur beach towels were already in our rooms so that was nice and we all had bathrobes and slippers in each room. Room Service is part of Royal Golden (I don't know if it was avaible in the other rooms) and this was a really nce touch as we did use it a couple of times for those nights when we were just tired and had too many cervesas and didn't feel like going out to the restaurants. The menu was limited and we only tried the chicken nuggets/fries and caesar salad. The nuggets were actually chicken tenders in a nice crunchy batter but the salad was not the best as they use iceberg lettuce and a very bland dressing.

We did the Saona Island Catamaran excursion and what a blast it was - would highly recommend it but would not recommend that you take any kids on it as it was a party cruise and the rum and beer flowed freely.

All in all it was a wonderful vacation and we are already planning on going back to this resort. We met a lot of nice people and if you are reading this, hi to Brenda and Andrew fron NB and to Joy and her daughter from the UK.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with friends