“BEST VACATION EVER!!!”

Ranked #65 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
Gatineau, Quebec
“BEST VACATION EVER!!!”
Reviewed 8 April 2010

MY husband and I stayed at Grand Bahia Principe from march 27th to April 3rd and we had the best vacation ever! Having travel around the world and stayed a several hotels...we were extremely satisfied with this resort. We had a very good deal(price) and enjoyed every second spent there. The beach is beautifull, the sun always shinning, the pools are clean and fun; the food is amazing and the staff is professional.Go visit Heaven on Hearth.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,481)
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Northport NY
Reviewed 8 April 2010

We found our favorite vacation destination. The Gran Bahia. This resort does everything first class. The staff at the reception desk were great. There was never a communication problem, in fact throughout the resort some of the staff spoke three languages. English Spanish and French. We went with our good friends. We both have nine year old boys that had the time of their lives, snorkeling at the beach and pools all day yet still finding some time to build some pretty awsome sand castles! So much to do or so little, that's up to you... Do not hesitate booking this resort for any occasion! The Gran Bahia is beautiful, well maintained, and spotless. We spent seven days in paridise! Again the reception, the staff, the food, the nightlife, the rooms and the grounds were just great. Can't say enough about this place! This was our best vacation ever and we will go back again and again. Please wake up early at least once to watch the sunrise on the beach. Priceless!!! To everyone back at the Gran Bahia, Thank you so much!!! And from Long Island New York to you... HOLA!!!!!

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank LongIsland6112000
Halifax
Reviewed 6 April 2010

This is the most beautiful location i have ever been to, We stayed on the Anbar side of the resort (no kids and better rooms) I was there an entire week with a wedding party and had nothing to complain about other than i had to leave. Food was perfect rooms were immaculate service was top notch, I will definatly be back as many times as i can. The highlight of the trip was a chance meeting with a young man named LA at the pool on the Anbar side of the resort, We booked a catamaran day trip with him and his company scuba aquatic, I have to say i have met no finer human being in my life and you will all be very happy and blessed if you meet him. Peace out LA

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with friends
Sudbury
Reviewed 5 April 2010

I stayed at the Gran Bahia Principe for one week, and had the time of my life!! I was a little hesitant on booking this resort only because I was travelling with a few girlfriends and we wanted to have lots to do day and night, and some of the reviews said the nightlife sucked....well it's no cancun mexico...but we still had a great time at the disco and kareoke bar. We met lots of really fun people there so that may have helped.
Our room was sooooo clean and huge, the maids did an amazing job. Anytime we needed anything they were ALWAYS there to help!! The resort itself is HUGE!!! When I read there were trollys to drive you around I thought....I'm not that lazy I will walk. NOT!!! The trollys were great, you never had to wait, they were constantly going day and night. I can't comment on the a la cartes because we didn't want to feel obligated to keep reservations if we had something else to do. We didn't mind the buffet every night. They changed it up a bit, so we were satisfied.
The beach was stunning!!!! They were constantly cleaning the beach, and there were always enough loungers for everyone. I loved the fact the ship wreck was right in front of the resort, so we booked out the kayaks a few times and made our way out to look at it up close!! The beach bar staff were AMAZING.....Maria and Robert were my favorites!!! They were always singing and yelling YAHOOOO!!! They made the trip memorable for sure. I saw lots of different crouds, families with young children, big groups of familys, couples, and smaller friend groups (all girls trip) (all guys trip).
I would certainly go back in a heatbeat, the only bad thing I can say about my room was there was NO CLOCK!!!! I didn't have a watch either and I never knew what time it was. This drove me NUTS!!! Everthing else was great!!! Happy travels!!

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with friends
2 Thank daisyframe
Gibson City, Illinois

good trip
food was very good best we have had at a All Inclusive
buffet was as where the allacart
casino disappointment had to pay for your drinks in casino
beach was nice rooms clean nice

no waiters on beach or pool

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
TORONTO
Reviewed 30 March 2010

This place was just amazing. Great food. A lot to chhose from. Difference theme every night at the buffet if you just do not want to wait for the la a carte. Entertainment was fantastic. Staff were more then helpful. Curtious and Respectful. Beach was very clean and nice to walk on. Water very clear just like expected. Pools were wonderful to enjoyed the fast a curtious bartenders at the pools very professional people. What a wonderful vacation we had. Even my daughter who is a fussy eater enjoyed all the food and ate more then normal. She has been asking over and over again to return to this resort and that is why we are returning on April 2010 as April 2009 we had an unfortunate sickness in the family and 2008 we decided to try the Bahia Principe in Jamacia to she how it stood up to Punta Cana. Both were great but I would return in a flash to Punta Cana.

• Stayed April 2007, travelled with family
Toronto
Reviewed 30 March 2010

I read so many reviews before my trip and felt like I owed it to everybody to write one too.

Before I got the real experience I kind of thought all the people complaining about the bland food and hit and miss staff were just hard to please people that would complain about anything. However we have been to other 4 and 5 stars resorts in and around the Carribean and have seen better, so I felt I should write about it to give a heads up.

That being said, we did enjoy ourselves, regardless of the shortcomings. Some of the main complaints we had were the hit and miss staff. Some of them were really nice, but other couldn't care less. At a la carte restaurants it took them forever to get anything out too you. Not so good when you are traveling with an impatient toddler. It didn't bother me much that they didn't speak much english, as I actually found this normal. However what did bother me was that I felt the nice one's were trying so hard just for the tip, and they didn't come across as genuine nice people.

The maid was our biggest pet peeve as she would never come to our room when we were out even though she was in and around that villa the whole day long. Some days she came only in the evening to our room, when our toddler was sleeping and another day we didn't get any maid service at all. This might not seem like a big problems if your towels were not soaking wet or if the whole bathroom and room floor wouldn't be heel deep in water as the shower does not have any border on it whatsoever. They also made a habit of moving furniture around the other rooms at noon when our baby was trying to sleeping.

Moving on to the food, people are right, the buffet has lots of choice, but everything is bland and after a few days it gets really hard to find something to eat. You can survive on it, just don't expect to enjoy it. The morning omlets are good. So are the afternoon grill varieties and the A La Carte restaurant food is not bad. The Italian A La Carte was actually really great, with fantastic appetizers, the other one's nothing to write home about, but better than the buffet. We only drank and used bottles and filtered water, didn't eat any deli ( it didn't look too good) and out of the 4 of us I was the only one who got diarrhea, but it wasn't horrible, I took a few immodiums and was as good as new.

The Animation was not really too much present. We had our own entertainment anyway, so we didn't care much, but as far as I could see, they had a brief stint in the morning on the beach and then at 3pm at the pool and that was about it.

It is a very large resort with a few different resorts all rolled into one, and I knew that going in. We stayed close to the beach as we had the "Royal Golden" package but it was quite a walk to the lobby/restaurant area. That's not really a problem as they have shuttles. What did bother me, is that the shuttles idle at all times and the gas vapours are not pleasant, not too mention they are not good for the environment. I really would have been much happier with electric powered vehicles shuttling people around, but that's just a side note. The Royal Golden upgrade we got was totally worth it, we got our own reception area, beach towels in the room upon arrival, our own internet 15/min / day one extra A La Carte and a room very close to the beach and better service everywhere as they do treat people differently by the color of your breacelet. I would definitelly recommend the upgrade, we paid and extra $50 per person per trip.

The drinks at the pool and beach are kind of watered down, if you want a real one you have to go to the lobby bar, but they are all o.k. for cooling down.

I didn't enjoy the mosquitos too much, I had hoped they could spray for that seeing how Malaria is endemic in Punta Cana, but I'm guessing this is a problem in all resorts.

Wow , this is getting to be one of those really long reviews.

Anyway, the beach is great, but fairly crowded, it's not easy finding a lounger with a bit of shade if you get up late. There are plenty in the sun though. We walked up and down the beach and found most of the other resorts beach fronts were much less crowded.

And yes, there were topless women and men in speedo's but I'm sure you can find that at any resort and it really didn't bother us too much :) it was more fun than anything.

On a positive note, the grounds are beautifull, the weather amazing, the beach and water are great, but that would probably be true at other resorts.

Keep in mind, people only write about the bad stuff :)), but there is a lot of good and we did have fun. A few small things here and there shouldn't ruin your vacation, but I'm just writing them down, so you are aware and so that you can have a decent comparison with other resorts. I can honestly say I will try the Iberostar next time and that I'd much rather go back to Cuba than the Dominican. That being said, don't worry, you will have a great time anyway! :)

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with family