My husband and I just returned from a week long stay at the Gran Bahia Principe Punta Cana. For the size of the resort and the occupancy rate, we were surprised at how empty the resort seemed. The beach and pool were the busiest spots during the day however we never felt crowded. It is an extremely large resort so there are a lot of quiet places for you to get away from the other guests.
We stayed in the Royal Golden section, to be closer to the pool and beach (where we spend the majority of our vacation time). The tram running through the resort was convenient, quick and was a nice scenic ride through the resort. We would walk to the buffet in the morning but it was nice to have the tram during the heat of mid-day.
The food was good - we had no issues with it whatsoever. I am in my first trimester and need to watch what I eat carefully but even with this new picky diet, I still had a lot to choose from at each of the 4 a-la-carte restaurants that we visited and the buffets. There was a lot of selection for most any type of palate, including specifically designated vegetarian dishes.
The beach was STUNNING. White sand as far as the eye could see. The ocean water was turquoise and warm (well once you got in) but wavy. If you don't like waves, this place will not be for you as there were always waves to play in.
There was always a breeze to help cool you off in the heat of the day. I would recommend getting up early (we got up around 6:30am) to reserve a chair with some shade with your towels either at the beach or the pool. They say not to do this but everyone else does and if you don't, you'll be left in the sun with no shade. Just a recommendation we learned from our first day stuck in the sun :)
The nightly entertainment was some of the best I've seen in the Caribbean. Lively and they definitely put on an excellent show. Unfortunately we missed the Michael Jackson show that everyone else was raving about :( Maybe next time.
The staff was always friendly and helpful so I'm not sure what the other guests that wrote bad reviews regarding the staff were talking about. We found them to be helpful and always saying "hola" to you throughout the resort. You couldn't pass a staff member without them saying hello you to. It was fantastic. The grounds were clean and there were always people out doing maintenance.
Our room was clean and spacious. We have no complaints about the accommodations at all.
Overall - if you're expecting white glove service, being waited on hand and foot and 5-star gourmet meals rivalling any of the best restaurants in North America, pay the extra $4000 and visit a Sandals. If you're looking for a fabulous getaway with a great beach and friendly staff, you won't be disappointed with Gran Bahia Principe in Punta Cana.
Now if I can JUST get their theme song out of my head... ;) It's catchy!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Facilities and services 2 lake-style pools Jacuzzi Sun terraces Lounger, sun umbrella and towel service BAHIA SPA (additional charge) Sports facilities: gym, tennis court, multi-sports court Water activity centre Motorised sports (additional charge) WiFi access in the lobby (1h per day free of charge) and in rooms (additional charge) Meeting and convention room 1 buffet restaurant and 5 speciality restaurants Japanese restaurant 16 bars Wedding gazebo Punta Blanca Golf Club: 18 hole Punta Blanca Golf Club (additional charge) Pueblo Principe: Shopping and Leisure Mall with local craft stores, live music, shows, stores, bars, disco and casino Rooms 756 rooms including two types: Superior Junior Suite and Club Golden Junior Suite Room facilities: King size bed or two full size beds Fully-equipped bathroom with Jacuzzi, hair dryer and a full range of amenities Balcony or terrace Air conditioning Ceiling fan Telephone Satellite TV Coffee-making facilities Mini-bar Safe (additional charge) WiFi (additional charge) Club Golden Junior Suite (See page 18 Club Golden, Club Hacienda). Children Bahia Scouts The hotel is perfect for families, offering a range of facilities tailored especially for children, including the following: Children's pool Mini Club for children aged 4 to 12 Baby Station Bahia Scouts Water Park Fun Area and Adventure Park (additional charge) Teen's club Other Services 24 hour medical service (additional charge) Pharmacy (additional charge) WiFi in the lobby (1h per day free of charge) and in rooms (additional charge) Specialised service for organising weddings, incentive trips, events and anniversaries Personalised menus (for celiacs, diabetics, etc.) Available on request and subject to circumstances ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Southall Travel, Odigeo, TripOnline SA, Travel Republic (UK), Priceline, Agoda, HotelQuickly and Evoline ltd so you can book your Grand Bahia Principe Punta Cana reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Gran Bahia Principe Punta Cana Hotel Punta Cana
- Punta Cana Gran Bahia Principe