“Okay.....there were issues”

Ranked #49 of 111 Hotels in Punta Cana
Upper Marlboro, Maryland
“Okay.....there were issues”
Reviewed 7 June 2012

Went there with a good friend for Memorial Day weekend (stayed 5 days). We had a pretty decent time. The grounds and hotel rooms were very nice. A sorority sister of mine went a week before I did and enjoyed her stay. In fact, there are discussions about a few more of us all going back together before the end of the year. That will be the only way I would return, to party with my girls. If I go back to DR I will probably choose another resort. Here is why:
-the staff were very professional, but not “friendly” of course there are some exceptions, but for the most part didn’t get their vibe.
-our fridge in the room was restocked with an open water bottle continuously...to the point we were beginning to wonder if they just refilled the bottle everyday...weird!
-the BIGGEST TURN OFF for us was the presentation at the Privilege Club. DO NOT GO!!!! We were told we would sit for an hour to hear about returning cheaper. In return, we would receive a gift. We went for 2 reasons, to help the 1st sales person out with stats and to hear more about returning. The presentation ended up being 2 hours. When it came time for the sales pitch, the manager was rude and condescending. For how we travel, the price quoted was not economical. He proceeded to call us stingy and cheap. When we politely declined for the 3rd time, as we proceeded to exit, he informed us that if we did not listen to him, we would not receive our gift. I about lost it and started to ensue with profanity what he could do with his gift. At this point, I lost 2 hours of vacation and had just sat through the insults....really didn’t need, want, or care about the cheap gift. My friend was also pissed, but took the stance of since you just told me I could not have it, there will be a battle till I get it....she won...

The experience left a bad taste in my mouth. The presentation is optional, I would advise not to go.

Given all that transpired on this trip and at a negative experience at another Grand Bahia Principe in another country....I will look at other resorts when choosing my vacations.

Room Tip: There appears to be several properties as one (Punta Cana, Bavaro, Esmerelda and Ambar). I may be m...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
4 Thank SMJ08
Marco P, Manager at Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar Blue Don Pablo Collection, responded to this review, 9 June 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience with others and the management of Gran Bahia Principe Ambar. We appreciate your detailed review and we have taken notes based on your experience to evaluate the different areas mentioned in your review.

I am really concerned and surprised with the comment that our staff is not friendly, we have received much praise from past guest for the friendliness of our staff. Our staff members are trained three times a week for language and etiquette behavior and as I stated we really get good feedback from our guest with regard to the staff, this is why this comment is surprising.

Furthermore, I have discussed your concerns with the Director of the Privilege Club and he has visited all of the reps in the resort and they have been re-trained on how to approach our guest to offer the wonderful services and benefits. Please know that it was not their intention to disappoint you in any way and if so please accept our sincerest apologies.

Once again, thank you for sharing, we hope that when visiting the Dominican Republic that you would consider once again Gran Bahia Principe Ambar!!

gerenteresidentegbpbpamb@bahia-principe.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,698)
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
St. John's, Canada
Reviewed 6 June 2012

I recently travelled and stayed at the Ambar on May 11 for 7 days. There was 5 of us that went and we had very little to no complaints! Service, Drinks, Rooms, Beach and Food was great. The only a la carte that I wouldn't recommend is Don Pablo....don't waste your night but the others were all great. The Beach Grill on the main resort was our favorite! We never had any issue getting good spots on the beach and we normally never went to the beach until 9:30 or 10am. The best drink to order is the Mudslide and as usual no complaints on the beer. We emailed and asked for our a la cartes in advance and they had everything we requested waitng for us. Also we requested Building 65 which was awesome...in between the main complex and the pool/beach.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
5 Thank JMA2012
Dear Guest,

We are very happy to know that you had a ¨Great Vacation¨, your review is our motivation to continue our team efforts on providing exceptional service.

Its nice to hear of guest experiences and when they are positive it is a strong indication that our efforts are taking us in the correct direction.

On behalf of the staff and management, thank you for sharing your experience, we look forward to your prompt return to Gran Bahia Principe Ambar.

Hastings, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 June 2012

My wife and I had our honeymoon at Ambar, we stayed for 2 weeks from 1st May. Not our first trip to DR, so we knew what to expect, but first time in the south. There are plenty of positives about the Ambar and very few negatives, but unfortunately from our point of view, these couple negatives really let this hotel down badly.

The good stuff: Grounds very well looked after, lovely pool and equally lovely beach, nice room, good food etc etc. without trying to sound funny, that's what you'd expect from a 5 star hotel.
We also did a few excursions, most of them were fantastic, would highly recommend the zip-lining, it was brilliant, professionally run and totally safe. We went deep sea fishing (if that's your sort of thing) and again a great day out. We had 5 Mahi-mahi in our 5 hours, while the rest of the fleet (about 7 other boats) had 2 fish between them all, but that's fishing! Also the VIP dolphin experience was something special and would recommend it to anyone and everyone, although the photo's at the end were VERY pricey. One excursion I would not recommend is the "Adventure Boogies", no adventure at all, having to drive in a neat line of buggies and the reality is the buggies are really just transport to get you to the beach and a fresh water pool in a cave. You spend more time with the buggies parked up than driving them and when you are driving, you're either driving on the road or driving along side the road, not what I would call an adventure.

Now the bad: The first issue was the food room service. We ordered this 3 times during our stay, every time we were told, it'll be there within 45 minutes. This never happened! All 3 times we had to call back 1 1/2 hours later to find out where it was, to be told we needed to order again. The last time we ordered, no lies, we ordered at 9pm due to the Mrs not feeling well and after 3 calls we had a knock at the door at 01:15am, 4 1/4 hours waiting, 3 calls and...they'd brought us another rooms order, with us eventually getting our food at 2am. I know, not the end of the world but still not what you'd expect from a 3 star let alone 5 star.
The second issue is the room cleaning, don't get me wrong, the girls do a wonderful job, always friendly and were quick to help, if you caught one and mentioned you'd run out of water for example. It's the timing that's the issue! After going on an excursion and getting back to your room at 3pm to have a shower, surely it's not unreasonable to expect to have had your room done by 3pm? Also when they did turn up, the room appeared to be done in stages, 1 does the bed, 40 minutes later someone else turns up to fill the bar, half hour later someone else turns up to do the bathroom. 4 different people at 4 different times to do one room, even had someone knock at 1030pm to drop off a face cloth????? I don't expect to be treated like royalty but had better organisation and less intrusion at a 3 star in the north. Get in, do the room and go, people are on holiday and don't want constant intrusions.

Now all of the above I could live with, the real let down and reason I will not return to the Ambar is the Privilege Club. We were first jumped on in the lobby on the 2nd day and although politely declined the invitation to look at their time share, as we explained we were on our honeymoon and business was definately off the agenda, it would appear that NO was unacceptable to them. Every time we set foot in the lobby, one of the Privilege club reps would come over and try again, one guy tried 3 times in one day. It got to the point where we were avoiding going to the lobby bar during the daylight hours and walking around the outside of the hotel to catch the land train, just so we would'nt have to be harrassed again, BUT they had a trick up their sleeve!!!!
9 out of 14 evenings, 7pm on the dot, the phone would ring, "Hello, it's the Privilege club again, would you like to come to our meeting tomorrow? "Er no thanks, I told you yesterday I was'nt interested!" "Oh OK, we'll try again tomorrow night." And so it went on, till I pulled the phone out the wall. Finally, left alone in peace 2 days before we were due to leave. I HAVE NEVER FELT SO HARRASSED ON A HOLIDAY IN MY LIFE. Maybe I just caught them on a bad 2 weeks or something but just not needed while on holiday.

So in all, a lovely place, lovely food, a lovely 5 star hotel that fits the bill with 5 star looks. Did we enjoy ourselves? Big YES! Was it worth the money? Probably Yes. Will I go back? NEVER!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
7 Thank Justin U
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent review on Trip Advisor and for highlighting the good stuff such as grounds, lovely pool, lovely beach, nice room and good food. We appreciate these comments as they have been our general area of focus for the past year.

In addition, we thank you for making us aware of the problems that you experienced with our room service department. Please know that we have made major changes in this area to ensure that an incident of this nature does not occur once again to a future guest. We apologize that you had to endure that experience and we are thankful that you shared it with us, if not we would not have known that we had a problem.

Once again, thank you for sharing your experience, we hope that you reconsider and return visit with us so we can demonstrate the levels of service that you expected.

Galloway, Ohio
Reviewed 5 June 2012

How many times have you been to a resort in the DR? We have been 12 times now. This is good for the money - we paid about 1k pp for 8 days. Food was typical. I can always find something to sustain me at the buffet but I don't usually ever gain anything. That is just me. Pool is clean, grounds superb, rooms are a little dated but clean. Hey, we are in our rooms to change and sleep. Want to impress your facebook friends with incredible pics? Do Xtreme Buggys with Charly. Just finished a 12 hour tour thru 8 cities in a buggy. This was our third visit with Charley and we are still on an adrenalin high. Enjoy your visit my Peeps!

Room Tip: We were in Ambar 65212- central to the action.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank DOUOME
Dear Guest,

Its nice to know that your adventure to the Dominican Republic and to Gran Bahia Principe Ambar was an enjoyable one. We appreciate that you have taken the time to share your experience.

We wish you plenty of enjoyment on your Buggy adventures and we look forward to having you as a guest at the Gran Bahia Principe Ambar.

SLATINGTON
Reviewed 5 June 2012

This was our first trip to the Dominican Republic, but it won't be our last.
We will return and stay at the Ambar. Very clean and the grounds were well manicured. The food was good, typical of what you find in islands. Our favorite restraurant was Don Pablos, lobster tail (nice size) and for dessert we had the fried banana (like bananas foster) so good.
The only thing we found a little odd was the reservation system they used for dining. They make dinner reservations for you when you arrive and the restranurants they choose for you can be any of the restranurants in the entire complex. Review them immediately. They will change them, if you're not happy.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank 678Barbara
Dear Guest,

Greetings from Sunny and Warm Gran Bahia Principe Ambar!!

We are pleased that your experience at our resort was a positive one, its really nice to know that we met and exceeded your expectations.

We wish you a prompt return to Gran Bahia Principe Ambar!!

Manhattan, New York, United States
Reviewed 5 June 2012

My fiance and I went last year. We loved it so much we can't wait to go back. The food was great. The service was great. The staff was great and the beach and pool area were great. The room was very nice and clean. They have lots of excellent restaurants. I went to the spa and had a chocolate massage and it was worth the money.

Room Tip: If you are a beach bum ask for a room close to the beach and the pool so you don't have far to w...
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Tina L
Dear Guest,

Thank you for the Fantastic review based on your experience, we appreciate the feedback and we look forward to hosting you once again at Gran Bahia Principe Ambar!!

Nashville, Tennessee, United States
Reviewed 4 June 2012

The rooms were cleaned daily and the mini bar was replinished daily. The buffets and restrauraunts were not very good. After day 3 we were bored and wanted some good dinners. We never got it! Very disappointing! Also the beach does not have good waves if you want good waves. It also has lots of seaweed during the early morning hours. If you shop at the their shops on the beach, be ready to take much less than what they ask. The DR people asked for way too much for the product. I could live withoutit or get it for $1 in the US!!! Not to thrilled about the DR shopping.

Room Tip: I bought a deep tissue massage and it was not anything close to a deep tissue message. I even asked...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

We appreciate that you have shared your experience with others on Trip Advisor, we regret that we were not able to completely meet or exceed your expectations.

Its nice to know that you have highlighted our cleanliness and property maintenance. Also, I have discussed your concerns with our Food & Beverage Executives, please know that they will continue to monitor our daily services and continue to build upon our goal to excellence.

With regard to the beach, please know that we have a team that starts at 6:00AM to clean the beach and organize the area for our guest to enjoy. Seaweed is a natural element from the ocean and unfortunately during periods where their may be heavy rain or poor weather around us this may cause an abnormal amount of seaweed from the ocean.

Once again, we thank you for sharing and hope that you will allow us a second opportunity to cater to your needs.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Punta Cana
Luxury Bahia Principe Bouganville Don Pablo Collection
Hotel Riu Palace Macao
Hotel Riu Palace Macao
#45 of 111 in Punta Cana

Been to Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar Blue Don Pablo Collection? Share your experiences!