“Inconsistently good”

Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar Blue Don Pablo Collection
Ranked #50 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
Reviewed 16 November 2013

Travelled with wife and buddy to Bahia Ambar from November 10th to 15th. I will touch base with the three points my wife and I look for at these all inclusive resorts; facility, food/drinks, and throughout service.

Facility (resort interior and exterior): The resort is huge, compromised of multiple Bahia sections. The grounds throughout are magnificent and well kept. The lobbies though at times can get quite hot but that's expected especially in the Caribbean. The beach seems to have the best layout compared to the other resorts nearby; lots of palapa in the premises.

Bedroom space is sufficient and the fridge is well stocked daily. Cleanliness though seemed to be inconsistent. My buddy's bed smelled musty all week while mine smelled fresh. There were times when they arranged your toiletries and times when it looks like they just mopped the floor and left you towels.

In regards to the butler service, for our group it was nonexistent. I inquired the first day and the porter who led me to my room had no idea about it...not a good sign. It was not a big deal for my group but it's quite a disappointment when you read such great reviews from other guests. Turndown service also only occurred once within 5 nights, we knew it happened because who ever did it left us a box of chocolate.

Food and drinks: Not a big fan of having to make reservations for dinner. We tried to make reservations for the week the first night we got there. We were told that reservations can only be made from a time period during the day. Hence, we came back first thing in the morning the first full day. Most places, if not all, that we wanted to try we're already full for the week. We ate our breakfast, lunch, and dinner the first couple days at the buffets. Buffets are ok but can get old fast right away. My recommendation for this resort to truly make this a great dining experience for the guests is to throw out the reservation concept. My wife and I have been to numerous all inclusive resorts the past couple years and never have we encountered a time where we weren't able to dine at a place we chose.

For the a la cartes we were able to get into, for the most part were excellent. The two French, Le Gourmet and Don Pablo met the expectations. Service was superb and food was delicious. The Japanese on the other hand disappointed. Again, the service was great but the food quality was inconsistent. I thought the miso soup was very good, I like the onion touch. But my entree though, fish, was quite dry. My wife was not a fan of her's also. The beef was a bit on the salty side. My buddy though I believe liked his entree (mix of shrimp and beef), an example of inconsistency we encountered all week.

In regards to the drinks, my group and I are not much of a drinker. My wife who is pregnant, can not currently consume alcohol. Going in, we had such high hopes about laying on the beach, relaxing, and drinking lots and lots of our favorite coconut juice. From our prior experiences from different AI resorts, coconut was included. When one thinks of the Caribbean, especially my wife and I, we think of beach and coconuts. Again, an example of inconsistency in this resort; coconut is not part of their definition of 'inclusive.' Guests have to pay $4 for each coconut. Also, we noticed that unlike other AI resorts, there were no bakeries or cafe parlors to be found that makes frappe and other cold coffee drinks. This truly makes you realize that for the most part, they truly don't cater much to non drinkers and might have forgotten how to include such. A note to the managers and decision makers at Bahia, there are guests out there who book AI resorts who actually just want to relax by the beach, drink their coconuts, and not want to get drunk. Please keep them in mind for the next executive staff meeting. Feel free to contact me if needed.

Throughout service: What's the deal with the system at the Bahia Ambar crashing? On our first night, we tried to pay with a credit card and guest service was not able to put through the transaction due to system malfunction. Socrates from guest service tried to help as much as possible but virtually could not do anything but urge us to go to the main lobby at the Bavaro to take money out from the ATM. This was not an option though for us due to the credit card we brought was not set up for withdrawals and had no pin. This issue was resolved four days later but could have been escalated to a major catastrophe if this was a checkout.

Overall, like most things in life; you make the best out of the situation. The grounds in this resort are impeccable. It is easy to notice how hard the gardeners and staff work to keep the exterior exquisite. The beach area and layout is superb. The bedrooms are sufficient for a vacation stay, just need consistency from the maid service. Buffet food was on par compared to other AI resorts. The two French restaurants are a must. Staff for the most part were cordial and willing to make the most out of your stay. It is understood that there are many things that are not within their powers and this is where upper management should take a look at their trainings and procedures. Overall, I give this resort a 3.5 review. But due to that is not an option on trip advisor, a 3 rating because of the inconsistencies suffice.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jmante2
Customer Servic... B, Customer Service at Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar Blue Don Pablo Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 18 November 2013

Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for the time you dedicated to express your opinion about your holidays.

We are very happy to know that you were delighted by the rooms and the beach.

We are really sorry that we did not fulfill your expectations in some facilities as we pride ourselves on guest satisfaction. However, we would like to inform you that all your comments and suggestions have been reviewed by our management team so that they take strong steps to improve where is necessary.

We hope you decide to visit us again; we assure you we will exceed your highest expectations.

Warmest regards,

Bahia Principe Bavararo Resort

Reviewed 16 November 2013

We stayed here the week of July 4th and had a good time they celebrated the holidays and each evening had a different theme like the 4th of July. Food was good, dinner at the restaurants was better than the buffet. Drinks were always available bartenders added extra alcohol when asked. Staff was always willing to help and were friendly, the entertainment was cheesy but fun, pool area was good and clean. The beach was always clean and the staff even swept the sand off your lounges, there were non- powered watercraft available for free on the beach. The resort is huge we always used the free trolley to get around and visit the other locations.

Room Tip: Not too many rooms with a view of the beach.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

We are very pleased to read that you enjoyed your holidays thanks to our rich gastronomy as well as the good service from our employees. At Bahia Principe our goal is to make your stay become an unforgettable experience.

Looking forward to seeing you soon at our Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar Don Pablo Collection !

Always at your disposal,

Reviewed 15 November 2013 via mobile

We were there Nov 8-15. Buffet food good. A LA carte's not so good other than Don Pablo's which was excellent. We stayed in room 65108. Room was clean and up to standards. Only thing wrong the maid wouldn't leave facecloths for some reason. We had to keep requesting them. Lol. Beach and pool were great. The pool bartenders could learn something from the hardworking beach servers. The pool boys like to ignore you even when u show a tip is coming. I would return to this resort. The positives dar outweigh the negatives at this resort. Oh BTW I hate the towel game ppl play so if u found your chair was gone because u were not there for four hours blame me.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank Madwayne
Customer Servic... B, Customer Service at Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar Blue Don Pablo Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 16 November 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay at our hotel. We sincerely appreciate all feedback.

Please be assured that we have analyzed each point you have mentioned on your recent review.

Looking forward to seeing you soon in this tropical paradise!

Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, your best hotel in Punta Cana!

Best Regards,

Reviewed 13 November 2013

If this review is helpful to you, please vote it as such. Many of us tripadvisor regulars spend a lot of time writing reviews to help others get the best out of their vacations !
First I have to vent my gripe .... just got back from 2 weeks at the Ambar. This was an important Anniversary celebration so I contacted the Ambar in advance. Being this is not my first booking at Bahia resorts I know they usually are VERY good at accommodating room requests and for returning guests celebrating a special event they often give us an upgrade ... sad to say not this resort !
I requested a top floor with an ocean view, preferable a corner unit in building 60. When I got there I queried the front desk about the room, she stated and I quote " in this complex we do not have any ocean view rooms" this was totally not true ! and I hate being lied too ! So we did not get a 3rd floor corner, did not get a 3rd floor, nor a second, nor a view but in all honesty the worst location considering our request that I have ever received. We got a 1st floor, which I have never had before ! no view and in building 64. A good building for location close to the pool but everyone coming or going to the pool uses this as a walkway as the pool exit comes to the start of the hall so everyone going to the 2 buildings behind it use it as a walkway. The room walls are quiet but the doors are not and you constantly and through the late hours here people taking etc. I am a very light sleeper and this was a disaster .... NOT HAPPY AT ALL WITH THIS CUSTOMER SERVICE AND LACK OF APPRECIATION, this was the second vacation I have purchased this year at a Bahia resort, expected much better service and got it last time.
So vent over .. sorry :-) so it seems most flights get to this resort early ... your room will not be ready until 3:30 so a tip ... prepare ! put some shorts or better yet bathers in your carry on and take advantage of this. People complain but this is day one of your vacation so make the best of it ... you can walk to the pool, get towels, go to the beach, relax and enjoy, don't wait in the lobby or go eat .... this is day one so be prepared .. better then getting in at 11 PM and that is day and night one, because they all count !
Oh before you do that .. go to customer service and make your dinner reservations ! this is a good resort in that you get 1 for every day there if you want it. We were very pleased with the buffet at this hotel, much much better then the Bavaro up the way, and the Ala carts are also good. No complaints here ! hey and how do you complain about a buffet where you are greeted by Yuan # one at the mimosa station and given Champagne and orange juice every morning :-) We have traveled all over and there is nothing wrong with this food ! some complain after 2 weeks it gets boring at a buffet but OMG what do you eat at home every day in 2 weeks, probably the same thing then you complain ? no complaints with any of the food here ! all restaurants were good, some very very good ! none bad in our books except Bavaro buffet but you don't need to go there ! it wasn't bad just not near as good as the one you will have.
Speaking of the Bavaro, Ambar is the smaller resort, adults only, be happy :-) Most of the activities are at the Bavaro so familiarize yourself with its location. Some complain it is far, oh my, with the food you need the exercise, out the lobby, turn right, walk 3 - 5 minutes and you are there, if you don't want to walk they will give you a ride on a cart but I suggest the walk. At the Bavaro there are all the shops and the area with the large out door entertainment, the area is surrounded by shops, there are vendors with booths inside, there is a piano or more like a sports bar, yes all included, and the casino if that is your thing. There also have more venders on Wed. and Friday nights .. but speaking of vendors !
Our favorite are always the beach vendors, these guys here are the lease infringing we have ever seen, in fact my wife got upset they would walk by you sometimes and all but ignore you, we like to shop and love to speak some Spanish to and get to know the vendors ... they also have the best prices but you have to bargain with them ... example, we bought several paintings on canvas, they started at over $100 and we paid about $25- $35. We also bought several wood carvings, very very nice, one large one the guy wanted $120.00 for, I traded him my Coleman watch,. $25 value and about 25 cash. We were lucky it just fit in our luggage .. phew
So speaking of vendors, the ones at the Bavaro are a bit more aggressive but nice, and you can also walk down the beach to the markets but they again are a bit more aggressive, but nice, they just all want to get you into their shops to look but are always pleasant, sometimes you just have to say, no gracious and walk on as many have the same product. We did get a great deal on coffee here but for the most I would totally recommend the beach vendors.
Room service ... our lady was GREAT ! wish I had her name ! we tipped her and bright gifts which we gave to her and other staff we appreciated ! the room was very nice, modern clean, large bathroom with jet tub and walk in shower, king bed which was very comfortable, the mini fridge was stocked well ! not only with beer and several types of soft drinks but also with 2 - 3 small bottles of liquor, usually vodka, scotch and rum, a pleasant treat !
Yes this place has bar service on the beach, and our favorite for the beach and pool was our friend "Confessor" I know an interesting name but this guy was friendly, great ! always happy and pleasant, loved to joke around, one day he walked past us on the beach with our mugs of drinks, smiling and waving back saying hi ... being a jokester which we appreciated, when he came we all laughed, I got him back, I got my drink and looked at my wife and said, Gracious and handed her his tip, he laughed his head off ... just a great and fantastic person as the Dominican people are !!! we love them !!! Most of the hotel staff were also great .. going beyond what one would expect to be nice, friendly and appreciate you coming to their country.
One last mention, we travel twice a year so have done most excursions, if you are not into swinging through trees etc. and want to find out more about the Dominican people, country, origin, villages and schools, check out the “Outback Safari” we had Angel for a guide, he was GREAT ! yes drinks are included, a VERY good lunch and BBQ was provided, he gave us some incredible facts about the country and people and we visited village schools that they help to sponsor kids to attend. To us a very informative and GREAT tour to take ! check it out.
So the resort at least did put an Anniversary banner on our door and give us a bowl of fruit and a very small bottle of local rum, tip to the resort, a bottle of bubble or wine is much more conducive to a Wedding, Honeymoon or Anniversary. The other major problem here is people putting towels on beach and pool chairs and cabana's to save them. They do not control the towels here even though they say you can only have 2, the towel guys will give you more. We went to the beach at daybreak and often just got a cabana on the beach. We would put all out stuff out and then go for a jog or long swim which should be okay ... but ... We saw some that left towels on the chairs all night and then came at 9 AM after a sleep in and breakfast to get their chairs, they had 7 towels. Now don't worry you will always get a cabana on the sand because the beach is about 150 ft deep although you may not be able to see the water. Some actually prefer this as it is more spaced out and quiet but management needs to control this ! OH last one ... our Air Canada Vacations lady ... she was the BEST ! dedicated, honest, lovely. We had our credit card suspended cause charges showed up out of country. Deborah let us use her cell phone to call the international number as I couldn’t do it from the hotel without paying big bucks. She wasn’t there ot make a buck off you, genuine about the tours and being there for you ! undoubtedly the best airlines rep I have ever had and we travel at least twice per year. Thanks Deborah.. you rock !!! So ..... despite my being very upset about the room I do and have already recommended this resort and if I received a better room may even stay here again ! Best of fortune and happy holidays to all ! make the best of every vacation and instead of looking for the worst, look for the best and guess what ... you will see what you are looking for. Look at this as a third world country, not yours and look at their houses and then appreciate yours.

Room Tip: building 60 or 64 close to beach but seriously all buildings are close, only a few minutes to walk g...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
32  Thank PandGP
Customer Servic... B, Customer Service at Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar Blue Don Pablo Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 14 November 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience on TripAdvisor and for highlighting our friendly staff and our good gastronomic offer.

We sincerely regret that our overall image may have been tarnished as well as not being able to fulfill your expectations this time but please allow us to inform that room’s petitions are subject to availability on day of arrival and may not adjust to your exact request. We do not confirm request.

Your suggestions have been taken in the highest consideration and have been forwarded to the General Manager of our Resort.

It has been a pleasure serving you and we would love to cater to you once again!

Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, your best hotel in Punta Cana.

Best Regards,

Reviewed 13 November 2013 via mobile

Near perfect vacation. Fantastic place to spend a week with my sweetie unwinding and being pampered. Fab beach, lots of loungers, lovely water, great food, great drinks, great staff and comfortable surroundings. Need I say more? Jed

• Stayed: November 2013
13  Thank Jedder154995

Dear Guest,

It is fantastic to know that everything was excellent and that we fulfilled your expectations!
We thank you for choosing Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar Don Pablo Collection as your perfect holiday destination.

We look forward to you returning in the near future!

All-inclusive luxury hotels in the Dominican Republic with Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts.

All the best,

Reviewed 13 November 2013

Went for my honeymoon and birthday combined in one trip and it was great! When you first check in, you are assigned a personal butler and ours name was YEYSON ROSSO and he was awesome!! He made reservations for a different restaurant each night of our stay and on my birthday, he surprised me with a cake, champagne, AND balloons all over my room!!How cool is that!! They also have employees there that their only job is to entertain the guests! Our favourites were Junior and Juckson!! They were a blast!
The only thing I think the hotel should do better is that they need to update their rooms..,the room n shower area had a musky smell ... new tile in bathrooms n ventilation will help... the grounds, nonetheless are beautiful!!

• Stayed: November 2013
3  Thank Weata
Customer Servic... B, Customer Service at Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar Blue Don Pablo Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 19 November 2013

Dear Guest,

Please allow us to share our gladness to learn that you had the best butler service with Yeyson, who helped you, he will be pleased with your acknowledgements.

We are already looking forward to have you with us again in Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, all-inclusive hotels in the Dominican Republic.

Kindest regards,

Reviewed 13 November 2013

This is a great vacation spot. There was a large variety of food. I really appreciated how the staff was constantly refreshing the food, instead of just putting out large quantities at one time. It kept the food hot and appealing. The drinks were top notch and I was pleasantly surprised with the variety of mixed drinks that were available.

The beach is beautiful! I really wish there was more control over people setting their towels or other personal belongings to reserve beach chairs. I observed that some chairs were not occupied for hours, but were not available to others. I think the hotel should monitor these type of activities.

One comment on the Spa. I felt rushed from the moment that I entered. The massage felt very "mechanical", and routine. After the massage, I was led to the relaxation room, which really was just a water bed, a few loungers and a whirl pool. I had to ask for a glass of tea. After about ten minutes, the masseuse approached me and asked whether I was ready to leave. I told her no, and she said, OK -- ten more minutes. I thought this was strange, but in about ten minutes she reappeared and asked me to follow her, and led me to the locker room for me to get dressed. There were no other clients in the lounge area so I am not sure why I could not stay and relax longer. If you are accustomed to world class spas, you may want to skip this one.

Overall, it is a great resort. I will not return because I prefer a oceanfront room and this resort does not have any. Otherwise, it is a wonderful vacation spot.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
6  Thank hibis1198

Dear Guest,

It is great to know that you had a nice vacation staying at Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar Don Pablo Collection in the Dominican Republic!

Your suggestions about the Spa service have been taken in the highest consideration and have been forwarded to the General Manager of our Resort.

Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, your best hotel in Punta Cana.

Best regards,