“A return trip after 3 years - has it changed?”

Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar Blue Don Pablo Collection
Ranked #50 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
Montreal, Canada
“A return trip after 3 years - has it changed?”
Reviewed 27 November 2013

We last visited this resort in April 2010. I am writing this review at the same time as I complete the Bahia Principe's on-line post visit survey. So I will address each feature as they present it. We were there from November 17 to 24.

Check-In. It is rather quick but lacks the "welcome" you'd like to see. Everyone gets huddled into a dreary meeting room and asked to all check in at the same time. It would have been nice to arrive and have a cocktail (or water for that matter). It's efficient but lacks the "I'm on vacation" feeling. Once you complete the required documentation, off you go until 3PM when you can return to pick up your key.

Housekeeping. The staff is friendly and the rooms were always immaculate. I mean really clean. It was never consistent when they did the room and hanging a "Make Up Room" sign on the door does not make a difference. We played golf 5 days in the morning and left the sign every day. No matter.... you spend the day outside anyways.

Rooms. They are a good size and quite comfortable. The bathroom is a good size as well. There is little to no English on the TV so bring along your favourite Blu-Ray or DVD (and the player) if you are so-inclined. On the downside, we had no control on the temperature. It was set to low the entire week and did not change. They do offer a pillow menu which we took advantage of as the standard pillows were "durable". We got taken by surprise when they removed our soft pillows the next day when they cleaned the room. We found them again and make sure they stuck around. The refrigerator in our room was not working very well, however, there is no shortage of cold drinks if you need to find one. In terms of location, I have attached a photo with a map of the hotel and the building numbers. It's up to readers to decide where they would like to be located. It's quite simple actually. Rooms are 5 digits. First 2 digits are building number, third digit is floor number (1 through 3) and then the room (2 though 17 I think). I know 8 and 17 are corners. It all depends on how far you want to walk and what you enjoy to do. I found some people were not very courteous as the floors are ceramic and the sound travels easily. Not the fault of the hotel.

Beach. It is very nice and they do offer lots of water sports. During our week, although nice and sunny, it was too windy with the exception of one day. I would suggest that the water sports are an exception and not the rule. I say that as I went scuba diving one day and the surge of the coastline is strong. If you do scuba dive, have your sea legs. 2 of the 5 divers on our trip did not. The beach boys do a great job of sweeping the sand off your chairs and cleaning around. I felt the beach had expanded but seemed more crowed than I had remembered. One thing that did change was the addition of a "Club" They had a zoned off area for seats and access to a close hut bar. I thought we were already at the top end of the Bahia Principe part of the hotel, but apparently not.

Food. There are lots of possibilities to eat. People have different tastes and I would be hard pressed to say this was great food. It was good food and served quickly and with a smile. The buffets are complete with something for everyone. If I had a favourite, like others, the Don Pablo is good. Booking your restaurants is an arduous task. I think there should be an app for that.

Staff. Very polite and I personally like that they do not all speak English. When in Rome.....Very efficient and caring people. I did not have too many empty glasses on my table. And hard workers. Some work split shifts so you see them at breakfast sweeping floors at 7AM and serving drinks at 6PM. Make sure to tip them well.

Spa. My back was in pain so I head off to the spa for a deep tissue massage. Awesome. Nice ambiance and real pleasant surroundings.

Pool. It seems like a ritual there to have everyone migrate to the pool at the end of the day. Far less wind and the water temp was good. The pool side activities are a little outdated, however, I doubt most of the crowd noticed. I did not find the constant use of small through-away plastic glasses to be an eco-practice. If you are a pool lover and want a good seat, get there early. Despite the warnings placed on the lounge chairs, it is not enforced so it has little bite.

Scuba. If you dive, the trips are better however, they cost and cut into your day. The local diving (located on site) is challenging and should be for experienced divers only.

Lobby. What a nice place. Great decor, fun drinks and friendly atmosphere. You'll see everyone there as it is the only place to get free wi-fi so sometimes this detracts from the social gathering it should serve. As far as the internet goes, it's very basic and the idea is to up-sell you to buy a package. It's $49 for the week so if you need it, splurge. Kinda nickel and dime though.

Overall. I liked the place. Lots of variety of people from US to Russia to Canada to Germany. I would say that it has become a little more crowded sine I was last there and you can see that an efficiency expert has been involved. But hey, where has this not happened. Happy trails!

Room Tip: Rooms are 5 digits. First 2 digits are building number, third digit is floor number (1 through 3) an...
6 Thank AMorneau
Customer Servic... B, Customer Service at Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar Blue Don Pablo Collection, responded to this review, 28 November 2013
Dear Guest,

We feel proud to read that you had a great stay after three years, in the Dominican Republic.

It is an honor to know that our staff had provided you the natural warm and hospitality that characterize the Dominican people.

We will be delighted to cater you once again in our Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar Don Pablo Collection to enjoy our facilities and services.

Thank you for preferring Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, your best hotel in Punta Cana.

Bahia Principe Bavaro Resort

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,729)
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 27 November 2013 via mobile

We stayed at the Gran Bahia Ambar Don Pablo section of the resort for our honeymoon. Being our first time traveling out of the US we were super surprised at the cleanliness and welcoming atmosphere. We met a lot of super nice guests and staff! We loved the all inclusiveness of everything. We only pulled out our wallet only to tip and pay for excursions. We tipped the staff well because they truly worked hard to make us comfortable and have fun! The pool was our favorite spot - super clean and water felt great! The only bad thing that happened was that we had tummy aches a couple nights and the bugs were eating up our legs! We would most definitely go back to the Bahia Ambar!

• Stayed November 2013
1 Thank Whitwalk
Dear customer,

We have shared your nice comments with the entire staff at Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar Don Pablo Collection. They will be happy to know that their efforts in making sure that our guests have a good vacation are appreciated. It is a great compliment to read that you encountered an excellent service during you honeymoon.

Your honeymoon in Punta Cana with Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts

Best Wishes,

Fort Salonga, New York
Reviewed 27 November 2013

If only the service lived up to what was promised.

The Ambar is a good looking place but its staff -- whether they are overworked by management or poorly trained (I'm just not sure) -- will fail you. I see that other poor reviews get a note from the hotel that they take this feedback into account, but I don't believe it. Nor should you.

If you have a question and ask five staff members you'll get five different answers. It's just odd. No one on staff will admit to not knowing an answer. No one seems interested in pursuing the correct answer. The goal is simply to make you go away.

The only time I was greeted in a pleasant way was when a staff member tried to sell me an excursion.

The essential part of an all-inclusive experience is to relieve you of concerns. Time for dinner? Study the menu and pick what you want. Swimming up to the pool-side bar? Yes, have another cocktail. It's already paid for. Your little plastic wrist band says so. But at this place, the restaurant waiters try to dissuade you from ordering what is on the menu. The pool-side bar tender will actually claim he is out of your favorite cocktail ingredients. (Special note: This was odd. The frozen drinks contain no alcohol. You have to ask for it to be added. Yet another example of the systematic effort to deny guests the full value of the all-inclusive experience.) At the Ambar, our little plastic wrist-bands simply represented a series of missed opportunities for the staff to make its guests feel welcome.

At any hotel, resort, restaurant -- actually, any kind of business -- goods and services should be delivered as promised by the brochure or web site. But at the Ambar, the attitude seems to be that since they already have your money, there's not much you can do about it if they don't deliver.

Maybe the solution is to not stay at an all-inclusive resort? If a waiter or bartender or front desk clerk knows they have to earn your next meal, or cocktail, or reservation, then there's motivation to earn it. But I've stayed at an all-inclusive resort before, for a similar price, and was not subjected to dismissive staff with misleading answers and no follow through. So, instead, I think this is a problem with the Ambar and not endemic to all all-inclusives.

It is unfortunate such a beautiful stretch of beach is being wasted by this under-performing resort.

In the end, an experience is made up of expectations either met or missed. I can give an excellent TripAdvisor review to a two-star hotel -- if it delivers as promised. And, as in this case, I can give a terrible review to a four- or five-star hotel, if it doesn't live up to its own professed standards. Make no mistake: the staff at the Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar Don Pablo Collection earned this poor report.

This hotel needs to decide what it wants to be. Does it want to provide the experience it promises? Or does it want to over-promise and under-deliver? Until that's been decided, I encourage you to take your business and your dollars, pounds, euros, or rubles somewhere else.

11 Thank wsafer
Dear client,

We regret for the impression you could perceive from our staff members. Please allow us to inform you that we continuously work with our Human Resources and Quality departments to reinforce the training of our personnel. Once again, we apologize for any inconvenienced experienced.

We regret that your vacation overall image may have been tarnished with the situation transpired. We sincerely appreciate all feedback.

Toronto
Reviewed 27 November 2013

We travelled to the Luxury Ambar Nov 14-21. We had a fantastic time! Here's a summary:

Check in - they checked about 20 couples in at once-in a little side room, which I am happy about since we didn't have to wait around for each room to get checked in individually!
We had requested a room with a king bed on the third floor overlooking the pool or ocean - and we got 2/3 which is amazing in itself since these are just requests! We were celebrating our anniversary which we also mentioned in our email to the resort and they decorated our room with a banner on the front door and balloons inside...if you are celebrating something, mention it!!

Room - We stayed in 60304 - not a corner, not overlooking the ocean, but still AMAZING! The room is so spacious, the a/c worked perfectly, the bathroom is comfortable, shower is comfortable, lighting in washroom was perfect...just amazing!

Pool/Beach - Pool is huge and clean and really beautiful. Pool bar is always hopping and Quintino and Elvis and Domingo (ask him for a Domingo Special) and the waiters Bianca and Jenson and Marlene were more than amazing!! They all were always ready to serve you and were happy to replace your drink without even asking!! They were amazing!!! At the beach bar, Confesor and Kelvin and Luis and the beach chair guys made the beach a fun place to be all day. The beach and pool were 3/4 full by 10 am, so I would say if you want a chair, you should be ready to be at the pool by 10am...if not, you may not find a good spot! The only downfall around the pool is that the chairs are very close together, but with so many people ( I would say it was fully booked) there wasn't alot of real estate to spread out around the pool, so I can't see how that can be fixed.

Restaurants/Food - The food here was one of the best we have ever had in the Carribbean - and we have travelled to quite a few islands and different hotel chains in the Carribbean. We only ate at Don Pablo and Takara (Esmeralda) - both were delicious, but I would say the service at Don Pablo was slowish...but who cares, we are on vacation and in no hurry!! The buffet at the pool for lunch was also so good. The food was delicious and fresh!!! It was repetitive, but there isn't much more you can offer for lunch. Did I mention it was delicious everyday???
The buffet at the Ambar was Fabulous! The food was always hot -- not sure who says the food isn't hot here! Unless you get your food and walk around for 10 minutes, then I could see your food cooling down, but otherwise, the food is hot and tasty. And definitely NOT bland!!!!!! It was truly, truly, truly delicious!!

The Desserts & Pastries - this deserves it's own category for my review. Normally we have found desserts in the Carribbean all taste the same even if they have completely different names, and are heavily fattening tasting. The Desserts at Ambar were THE best desserts ever! They were always fresh, always something different, the pastries at breakfast were so delicious - donuts and turnovers were so fresh...this was the best part of each and every meal ... and the fruit was really good too!

Overall, this was definitely a 5* - maybe not 5+, only because I have never been to a 5+ so I couldn't say what standard that is, but this is a solid 4+ - 5* hotel. We will be making this our annual vacation alone without the kids, and will definitely consider the Esmeralda for a family vacation next time as well!

Just go with the reminder that you are on vacation and just try to enjoy the resort instead of looking for negatives...this place really is good, and you will enjoy yourself very much!!

Room Tip: if you want to be close to the beach/ppol ask for a room in villa 60, 61, 64, 67 or 68...all others...
2 Thank Jen G
Dear Jen,

We would like to thank you for acknowledging our professional and friendliest staff, who contributed in creating you an awesome anniversary. At Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar Don Pablo Collection our goal is to make your vacation become an unforgettable experience.

We are very pleased to read that you had a good time thanks to our excellent food and beverages, specially our desserts. It is a pleasure for all of us to hear that we were able to fulfill your expectations, and it is wonderful to know that you are considering coming back to our Resort with your kids.

Family holidays with Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts

Best Wishes,

Reviewed 26 November 2013 via mobile

Like many others who have posted here, I've been to many all-inclusive hotels. A few key points:

- If you want a different room type, you must wait until the next day and it will take two trips/conversations. One at 10a to confirm your request from the day before, and the second after 1p to see if they've been able to move you.
- I was not impressed with the specialty restaurants at Ambar. Try to book at Esmeralda or just go to the buffet.
- Clean beach towels are not available after 530p.
- Front row beach chairs are claimed early. Plan for 6-630a.
- The gym did not open until 8a. This is really disappointing. Any other hotel gym is open 24/7 or at least by 6a.
- The beach is cleaned every day.
- If you want to get to the hotel from the airport in less than 90 minutes, book private transportation. The transportation companies use large tour buses.

Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
4 Thank Betsyb1
Customer Servic... B, Customer Service at Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar Blue Don Pablo Collection, responded to this review, 27 November 2013
Dear Betsy,

We would like to take this opportunity to extend our most sincere apologies for any inconveniences you may encountered during your stay at our hotel. Please be advised room’s petitions and changes are subject to availability and may not adjust to your exact request.

We regret if you felt you did not receive the service you were entitled to. We are really sorry to hear that you were not satisfied with our services.

Best wishes,

VIanca Graciano
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 26 November 2013

We stayed at the Ambar from Oct 10 to 17 and we celebrated our 25th Wedding Anniversary. We loved it!! The Ambar takes pride in what they offer and made our anniversary very memorable one.

The staff, food, restaurants, and service were absolutely fantastic, including the buffet.

Room:

When we arrived at the room was decorated with balloons along with a Happy Anniversary banner on the door and the room was decorated too. The room was so spacious, clean, with robes, slippers, a Jacuzzi tub and glass shower. The beds were very comfortable and cleaned everyday. Our fridge was stocked daily with pop, water, liquor and we never had to ask to refill. We stayed in Villa 62 which was minutes from the main lobby, beach and the pool.

For our Anniversary they surprised us with a bottle of Champaign, roses and had the Jacuzzi tub decorated really nicely when we returned from dinner.

Ambar Resort really knows how to take care of their guests.

Beach & Pool:

We had a great weather sunny with exceptional of one day we had rain, that didn’t stop us to go to the beach and enjoy ourselves. The beach and pool were very clean and fantastic with lots of chairs. We found chairs at the pool and beach every day without too much trouble. The water in the pool & in the ocean was warm. The beach was clean; the sand was never hot to walk on and very soft. The pool bar service and staffs were excellent.

Staff:

All the staffs throughout the resort were very polite, friendly, professional and helpful. Everyone had a smile on their face, worked quickly and efficiently. The ground were stunning, very clean and also gardens of the resorts are unbelievable, everything is perfect specially the grass that I haven’t seen so beautiful on any resort.

Restaurants:

The ala carte restaurants: Don Pablo Gourmet, Portofino Italian, El Olivo Mediterranean, Japanese and 1 night at the Gala Dinner was absolutely amazing. And the buffet: breakfast, lunch and dinner were served excellent and the food was always great.

We also booked for our Anniversary Romantic Dinner by the beach which was excellent and a memorable one.

Shows:

All the shows at the theatre were at the main resort the Bavaro. Getting up to the main resort Bavaro where the theatre was located & most excursions leave from, was easy a shuttle is by every few minutes. You can also walk and it takes 10 mins. The shows were excellent, especially Michael Jackson’s shows do not miss it, and it is on Monday night.

Casino and Disco:

The casino there is small, but we made a few bucks on the slots, so that was fun. Never went to the disco, too much sunshine and fresh air every day to stay up that late.

All together it was a great week and most enjoyable. This resort was AWESOME !!! The service was EXCELLENT. This was our first time and we would definitely return in future.

Room Tip: Junior suite in villa 62 was more than enough for us! (PS second floor is advisible)
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Alkarim N
Dear Guest,

For all our Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar team is gratifying to read that you were very pleased with the service received from this resort. It is a pleasure for all of us to hear that we could fulfill your expectations during your 25th wedding anniversary.

Thank you for for your excellent comments and sharing your experience, which plays a key role in our continuous process of improvement. We hope to host you once again in Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar Don Pablo Collection.

Enjoy an all-inclusive holiday as a couple with Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts.

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 26 November 2013

Reading all these reviews I was really excited for the upcoming trip. We booked four rooms for seven people and met up with eight others from our party for a total of 15 people. Trip dates are 11/8-11/18 of 2013.

Service:
When we arrived we found out that one of the people would be staying in a different building than the rest of the party. It would have been fine if she wasn't elderly and it was hard for her to get around. After some pleading, begging and angry words, the management finally gave in and "found" a room in our building. Why couldn't this be done right away?
In the same room, the phone wasn't working. After three days of the same pleading, begging and angry words, we finally found out that it's the problem with the line but apparently in DR the phone companies don't work on weekends so they couldn't get anyone over until Monday. That's understandable to a degree, but why couldn't we get the same answer right away?
Overall the service was not up to par. Drink orders were getting mixed up, coming too late or not coming at all. Reception people and bartenders (except for the beach bar) ALL had a look on their faces like we were there to eat their children. After a while the tips really did stop, why would I pay and encourage this type of service? It did get better when I started speaking Spanish but not really by much.

Rooms:
The rooms are average and no single room has a beach view. Ours had a limited pool view, which was OK but it was getting really loud with the music at times. The beds were more or less comfortable but the pillows were horrible. If possible, I'd recommend bringing your own from home.

Food: Aside from the French restaurant Don Pablo, the food really wasn't all that great. And even at Don Pablo the lobster was overcooked one of the nights. The buffet food was pretty much the same every day with just a few minor variations. Gazpacho was really good when they had it. Lobster night at the buffet was pretty bad, again the lobster was overcooked. My wife wanted to grab three tails but she was given a nasty look by the guy that was manning the station. He didn't want to give three to her until i intervened and just moments later I saw a person hand that same guy a few dollars and he had no issues giving her four tails.

Beach:
The beach was really good and clean, much better than the neighboring Riu. Seaweeds were cleaned up everyday and there were plenty of beach beds. The only negative is that we were constantly getting bothered by people selling trips and excursions. By the way, the same goes for the Privilege club salespeople. They were after you every time you were in the lobby and even at the beach sometimes.

Overall, the trip was nice and relaxing but only due to the weather and the water and the fact that this was an an adults only hotel.
No one from our party will be returning to this hotel or DR for that matter as the above seems to be a trend in that country.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank lordik
Dear Guest,

For all our staff members we would like to thank you for vacationing with us and we hope you could consider to give us the opportunity to host you again in the near future.

We apologize for any inconvenience you may have experience during your stay.

We deeply regret not being able to achieve our main objective with you, which is our guests´ entire satisfaction.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Punta Cana
Luxury Bahia Principe Esmeralda Don Pablo Collection
Hotel Riu Palace Macao
Hotel Riu Palace Macao
#44 of 112 in Punta Cana

Been to Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar Blue Don Pablo Collection? Share your experiences!