Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar Blue Don Pablo Collection
Ranked #50 of 111 Hotels in Punta Cana
Timmins, Canada
“Best Vacation”
Reviewed 9 February 2014

Perfect vacation, stayed at the Ambar .No kids at this one. Rooms were clean, staff was friendly and the food was terrific . Could not believe how may staff members this place had .Had a slight issue with the safe , Within a few minutes the assistant manager was there to take care of the problem. Activities and entertainment were a lot of fun . Beach and the ocean were very nice.This is our second trip to Punta Cana and we'll be back . Excellent value . Many thanks to Lino and Jenzy , the beach bartenders and to Junior and Juckson who organized the activities . I would recommend this place to all and especially to first time travellers

4 Thank Ray R
Customer Servic... B, customer service at Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar Blue Don Pablo Collection, responded to this review, 11 February 2014
Dear Ray,

We are humbled to serve you and we feel happy to know that you had the best vacation thanks to our terrific food and friendly staff.

I would like to thank you for this kind of comment and hope to have another opportunity to cater you again and provide you once more an amazing stay in our Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar Don Pablo Collection.

Receive cordial greetings from the Dominican Republic!

Bahia Principe Bavaro Resort

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,702)
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
UK
Reviewed 9 February 2014

My Wife & I stayed here January 2014 and it exceeded our expectations. The check in process was quick & friendly. Our room was in building 61 on the 2nd floor; it was clean, quiet and comfortable.

The food was excellent in all restaurants (including the buffet); our favourite was the Don Pablo which we booked in advance to celebrate our wedding anniversary.

The spa was fantastic. We opted for the couples spa $320 and was well worth it to be pampered for 2.5 Hrs.

The hotel grounds were maintained to perfection.

We used the beach more than the pool but both were excellent. The beach was much more quiet than the pool.

All the staff were very friendly and helpful, and a special thanks to the Thomson/ First Choice rep Nathan who was exceptionally helpful with everything including booking excellent excursions (Outback Safari – excellent, Sanoa Island – excellent, Dr Fish – excellent and the Shopping trip was more than what we expected)

This was intended to be a relaxing holiday and that's exacting what we got. The Ambar being adults only resulted in the service being much better compared to the other hotels.

The only criticism we have to make is regarding the dress code for the Restaurants. This was poorly enforced which was a shame for the standard of hotel. Surly people could make an effort?

We have already recommended the Ambar and would definitely stay there again.

11 Thank gmot
Customer Servic... B, customer service at Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar Blue Don Pablo Collection, responded to this review, 10 February 2014
Dear customer,

It is wonderful to hear that you enjoyed an excellent anniversary trip with your wife and to know that you received more than you expected. Your comments represent us an inspiration to continue striving towards excellence.

Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, your home in Punta Cana.

Always at your disposal,

Toronto
Reviewed 8 February 2014

I stayed here with my best friend this past January. It exceeded my expectations. The check in process was quick; all the Air Canada travellers were taken into a conference room and handed our packages. Our rooms were on the 3rd floor of building 68; they were clean, quiet and comfortable. The food was good; my favorite was the Don Pablo. The spa was lovely. The grounds were maintained to perfection.

This was intended to be a relaxing girls getaway and that's exacting what we got. The beach was much more quiet than the pool and of course, more scenic. You definitely should get your chairs by 10am but it was never a problem. I'm grateful that this wasn't a party resort and we did go to the Bavaro a couple of times. The difference is that the Ambar is for adults only and in being so, I felt the service was much better.

I was overwhelmed by how friendly and helpful the staff were, including Johanny (who drove the trolley and helped with our luggage), Miguel (who kept the beach clean and offered to help us get chairs on the beach when we got there a little late), Edward (who was one of the servers), Kelvin (at the beach bar) and the kind gentleman, last name De La Silva, I can't remember his first name at the moment (in guest services who booked the tennis court and restaurant reservations for us).

I paid attention to the recommendations on Trip Advisor and they paid off. I emailed the resort 2 weeks in advance with my restaurant requests (location and approximate times), spa requests and room (I wanted quiet and on a 3rd floor).

I have recommended the Bahia Principe Ambar to friends already and would definitely consider staying there again.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
6 Thank bellamarie46
Dear customer,

Thank you for this kind of review and for already recommending us with your friends. It is a pleasure for all of us to hear that we were able to fulfill your expectations, and to know that you enjoyed an excellent trip with your best friend.

We are already waiting for you to provide you another wonderful time in Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, a 5 star experience in Dominican Republic.

Sudbury, Canada
Reviewed 8 February 2014

We returned from paradise 3 days ago...I had spent much time reading reviews before booking and after booking, and I must say, anyone who gives this resort a bad review is sad...First thing you have to remember, you're on vacation, so make the best of it...if you have to wait a little for your room, go explore the resort, or have a bite to eat...We arrived around noon, and had to wait a few hours for our room to be ready, so we just enjoyed ourselves and had a few drinks...When we did receive our room, I was pleased to see that it was the exact room I had requested via email a week before (corner, 2nd floor, by the pool). We were celebrating our anniversary, and they had decorated the room for us, and we had a few gifts (nice touch)!
The pool area is fabulous. Yes it's true that you have to get there early in the morning if you need shade, but I was up at 0630 anyway in order to soak up as much sunshine as I could, so we were fine with this. The beach usually always has shade regardless of the time of day since there are so many palm trees there....The beach is beautiful...white soft sand for as long as you can see...If you want quiet people watching time, the beach it is...if you prefer a livelier party atmosphere, head to the pool...
In the evening, we would hang out at the lobby, where there was music and dancing, and this is where we had so much fun! Yes, it closes at 11:00, but being up so early, we were usually ready for bed then anyway...
As for the food, well if you can't find something you like, you're above fussy...the buffets were always good, and we did not go hungry.
My final shout outs are to my favorite employees who left an impression on me...first, Juan in the buffet dining room with his huge smile, and my 2 favorites, Juckson and especially Junior, who both showed me how to latin dance, and just made us feel special! You made our vacation just that much better :)
We will definitely be returning :)

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank jrowlands
Dear customer,

We greatly appreciate that you have chosen our Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar Don Pablo Collection to celebrate your anniversary. It is a great compliment to read that you enjoyed your celebration and the especial decoration and gifts you received.

Juan, Juckson and Junior will be gratified with such wonderful appreciations and to know that they made you feel very special.

Greetings from Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, all-inclusive hotels in Punta Cana.

Allendale, Michigan
Reviewed 7 February 2014

Very nice resort. The people that work there are very friendly and willing to serve. The young men keeping the beach area clean work very hard and do a very good job. At the beach bar Lino, victor and Hector did a very very good job keeping us hydrated. If you want a good drink before dinner go see Murphy at the lobby bar when he makes the drink you do get what you ask for. Thanks to everyone at the resort we had a good time.

Room Tip: We were in villa 65 maid service was very good and it's in the middle of everything. Only time w...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank David T
Customer Servic... B, customer service at Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar Blue Don Pablo Collection, responded to this review, 8 February 2014
Dear David,

It is wonderful to read that you were pleased with how you were treated and how our personnel made you feel very special with their service. For all our hardworking staff, especially at the bar you mentioned will be delighted to know that they provided you great drinks and moments.

Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, all-inclusive hotels for your holidays in the Dominican Republic.

Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 7 February 2014

We just returned from our honeymoon at the Ambar. Before we left I scoured the Tripadvisor site for information. Some of my experiences were the same, some were different.

Check-in was a breeze - just hopped onto a shuttle to the Ambar lobby. I had emailed ahead of time for room and a la carte requests and both were granted. I think the trick is to keep the requests as simple as possible ... for the room I requested multiple buildings, 2 or 3 floor, king size bed. For the restaurants I liked 6 of them and told them there was no particular order.

Nice room, all decorated for our honeymoon. Air Conditioning worked perfectly, turn-down service, stocked mini-fridge, no bugs/broken items. My only complaint is the sound of the door slamming, which is the fault of our neighbours and not the resort.

Speaking of neighbours .. since this is an adults only resort you have the added benefit of no little ones running around. However, I must mention that the average age of the people at the resort is close to 50 ... I was probably one of the youngest people there at 26.

It was impossible to get a seat at the pool, but there were so many awesome palapas close to the pool in the sand that I didn't even care. In fact, by the end of the week I think I was converted from a "pool-sitter" to a "sand-sitter".

I spent the week relaxing, so really nothing to report about excursions or activities. I can tell you that it is very very easy to be relaxed at the Ambar.

The great thing about this place is the little surprises you get on your trip. Every so often they would set up these displays in the main lobby with different drinks and snacks! Sometimes I would walk by the lobby and there would be doughnuts on the snack table!

Drinks were delicious and the bar staff were so friendly. I particularly want to mention Murphy Villa at the main Ambar lobby - he was excellent!

Food. Well, I have to say I was a little disappointed by the food. Breakfast at the main buffet was good, I usually had oatmeal, fruit, yogurt, and maybe the odd doughnut. For lunch at the snack bar I was all over the gazpacho (seriously try it!), the paella, and the maybe the odd nacho chip here and there. Those meals were fine ... but the dinners ... well ... I really was expecting more. There was no meal where I put my fork to my mouth and went "wow!" If you are curious, here is where I ate with subsequent marks out of 10:

El Olivo (Mediterranean) - 7
Don Pablo (Gourmet) - 5 (my lobster was very dry, overcooked, and sad)
Santa Fe (Mexican) - 6
Takara (Oriental) - 8
Los Corales (Dominican) - 8 (A lot of reviewers did not seem to go to this restaurant, I think it's a must to at least try it!)
Buffet - 8

We actually canceled our last a la carte meal to return to the buffet since the a la carte experience were so "meh". Any meal where you don't have to cook it yourself is a plus in my opinion, I was just surprised compared to our other 4+ star resort experiences.

But overall, a very nice trip. Would I return? I don't know, there were a lot of elements here that I think I could find somewhere else for the same price.

Room Tip: Second floor was a great combination of not that many stairs and above the street level noise.
4 Thank Morty_Moo
Dear Morty,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to share your experience, which gives us an opportunity to assess and evaluate our performance.

It is wonderful to know that you experienced a relaxing vacation with us and rest assured that we look forward to welcoming you any time soon at any of our All-inclusive Luxury Hotels in the Dominican Republic with Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts.

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 7 February 2014

Just spent a week at the Amber from Jan 17-24 with my husband and another couple. We had an awesome week and enjoyed the Ambar very Much. The weather was perfect when we were there and it was the perfect escape from our cold winter weather. I will keep my review simple and list below the pros and cons to staying at the Ambar:

Pros
Beach is Fantastic
The resort is beautiful and gardens well maintained.
Rooms, public spaces are kept super clean.
We requested rooms and restaurant reservations before we left home and they could accommodate us.
Staff were great about changing times of our reservations at times when we could not make on time.
We were located very close to beach and the pool which I loved and very easy to drop back to your room from the beach if you forgot something.
Loved having drink service at the beach.
Staff at the bar on the beach were awesome.
Lots of public space that were lovely to sit and relax or have a drink.
Easy to get ride on a trolley to bring you to restaurant or to your room.

Cons

Food was not the best.
I could not drink their wine, it was horrible but I am a red wine drinker.
Rooms were lovely but too dark for me.
Difficult to communicate with staff members at most places. Just imagine here at home starting a business serving people and giving them excellent customer service but none of the staff can speak the same language as the customers.
Drinks were not the best.......way too sweet.
Hard to find loungers on the beach in the shade and by the pool.

Overall, it was an amazing week and I would highly recommend this resort. The pros did out way the cons.

2 Thank jgillingham
Dear guest,

Thank you for highlighting our gorgeous luxury resort with a fantastic beach.

Please rest assured that your opinion have been taken in the highest consideration.

Looking forward to welcoming you once again in Dominican Republic and provide you another amazing week and thrilled experiences.

All-inclusive luxury hotels on the Dominican Republic with Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Punta Cana
Luxury Bahia Principe Bouganville Don Pablo Collection
Hotel Riu Palace Macao
Hotel Riu Palace Macao
#43 of 111 in Punta Cana

Been to Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar Blue Don Pablo Collection? Share your experiences!