“BAIT AND SWITCHED”

Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar Blue Don Pablo Collection
Ranked #50 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
Reviewed 17 April 2014

The resort is extremely confusing and they play that to their advantage. We booked and paid for the Ambar resort 7 months ahead of time but were placed in a different resort. Make sure you are in a 50,60, or 70 building, the other buildings are not Ambar! They did not even tell us that we were in a different resort! They were literally going to leave us there without a word. Luckily we figured it out and went to complain. They "apologized" but I am just in shock that they would lie to us. This is an unacceptable business practice and I will never return. I hope someone reads this so it does not happen to them.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
24  Thank John M
socialmedia b, Customer service at Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar Blue Don Pablo Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 17 April 2014

Dear John,

We offer you a big apologize for this inconvenience you have experienced. Please rest assured that we have taken your observations into great consideration.

Kind regards,

Bahia Principe Bavaro Resort

There are newer reviews for Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar Blue Don Pablo Collection

Reviewed 17 April 2014

Two weeks with my partner at the end of 2013 was going to be the sum total of my break from an awful Canadian winter. Initially skeptical about the quality I could expect in a large all inclusive resort, well my skepticism turned to relief after the first few days. This portion of the resort is Adults only, the facilities are commendable, the staff were very helpful and the resort is well maintained and clean. We enjoyed learning how to scuba dive, explored the interior of the island famed for coffee and cocoa production and enjoyed the beautiful beach. I found the food to be excellent and certainly the restaurants provided very good fare. Overall, the resort provides excellent value for money, caters well to a varied group of visitors and provides amenities that should appeal to all tastes.

Room Tip: Try to avoid being too close to the swimming pools, they can get very rowdy!
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Christopher L

Dear Christopher,

Firstly, thank you for choosing to stay at Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar! We enjoyed reading your review and we thank you for your kind comments.

We are thrilled to know that we went beyond your expectations and you consider this is an excellent value for money.

Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, all-inclusive hotels in Punta Cana.

Reviewed 16 April 2014

We have just returned from a great holiday in this hotel. Rooms were lovely and spacious but not much information about facilities available, we had a butlers desk right outside our room but we didn't know what services he offered !! Food was generally OK but even in the a la carte restaurants it was at best Luke warm. Be prepared to get up VERY early to get a sunbed either on the front of the beach or with some shade by the pool,staff were very friendly and very respectfull to my mum and gladley drove us around the resort on the carts to other restaurants, Being one of the few brits in the hotel we noticed how rude the Canadians were who thought it was OK to just flash a dollar at the staff but totally forget to say please or thank you & a pool full of them got very very LOUD !!!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank jane b

Dear Jane,

We appreciate that you have taken the time to send us your comments regarding your great holiday with us, allowing us to analyze our daily development, improve our services, and this way guarantee our guest´s entire satisfaction. I apologize for some inconveniences and dislikes you have experienced in our property.

Thank you for your observation and we hope to welcome you back again.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 16 April 2014

Just got back from a 6 day stay at the Adults only Ambar.

Arrival: No shuttle bus, we took a taxi and was dropped off at the Bavaro (Main Lobby) then took trolly over to our hotel. We called a week before requesting rooms as close to the beach as possible. They pay no attention to this. Traveled with another couple and soon found out our rooms were very far apart. Was told to come back at 2pm the next day to switch, we did, and they switched them.

Grounds: Be prepared to walk! Maybe we were spoiled by our Jamaican vacation, but man there is a lot of walking here! There are trolly rides to the other hotel and bars which is nice, but it is just a very large property so no rooms on the beach, etc. The grounds were beyond well maintained. Highly impressed with the gardening, upkeep, etc!

Room: We stayed in building 70, it was very nice but don't go any numbers higher if you can help it! 65-70 is the way to go! The room was big, bathroom was amazing, nice bed, unfortunately has a view of the staff road, but we don't spend much time in the room so no big deal. Nice rooms, better than expected!

Spa: Had a couples massage and it was so worth it. these are knowledgeable masseuses for sure! Highly recommend doing a massage, well worth it!

Pool: Went straight to the beach, hung out a bit, then over to the pool, where we noticed it was 6pm and they were closed! Awful! We like to have the option of the pool most of the night, this was crazy early to close! Also, no hot tub! Major disappointment in the pool/hot tub department.

Beach: After breakfast we like to go straight to the beach. The towel game is REAL! All palapas were taken so we dragged some loungers out closer to the water and relaxed most of the day. Shade is a luxury for sure! Had waiters come around for drinks once in a blue moon but not often. We finally figured out about the third day that Ambar has exclusive palapas right by the bar and buffet, so we woke up at 4am and played the towel game for a great spot! TOTALLY worth it! e had waiters constantly, workers who came around to sweep the sand off our chairs and feet, shade, front row view, AMAZING! The beach is beautiful! They not only keep it clean of trash, they also pick up washed up seaweed and sticks every morning! The water was beautiful! A bit chili, not sure if it's just the time of year but it was hot outside! There are a few sales people walking around but not bad, once you start waving them on, they don't really come back.

Food: The buffet inside was not good. Lots of variety but no quality. The buffet by our palapas (close to El Olivo restaurant) was much much better! We also ate at Don Pablo (which was good) and the asian restaurant at Esmerelda (can't remember the name), AMAZING! The wine they offer is crap! We like a good Cabernet, but not stuck up in the wine department, the house red was awful!

Staff: If you don't know your Spanish it is very hard to communicate, but the staff was extremely friendly and probably one of the best things about staying here! Had a rude encounter maybe twice which is good! There may be more staff than guests which is nice and you can tell they are trained to pamper you! Great job!

Excursions: Didn't do any because the beach was so amazing! My hubby rented some snorkel gear but that's about it.

Overall: Definitely recommend staying at this particular resort in the Bahia Principe collection. The reason being because this is the only resort that has access to all bars and restaurants and the exclusive palapa section. We witness a couple being refused a drink at our lobby bar, yet we could go to any bar with our wrist bands. This was a major plus. Also noticed other lobby bars did not carry premium liquors like Jack Daniels while ours did. Also, wake up at 4 am and get your spot. It sucks, but majorly worth it! The difference between having a palapa is major! And the exclusive Don Pablo ones by the beach bar are the way to go for constant waiter service! We like to travel around so probably won't be back but we probably would if we were to stay in the area again.

Room Tip: Buildings 65-70 at most. Do not get anything higher or you will be doing a lot of walking to get to...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank TinaManagerDSM

Dear Tina,

I would like to thank you for bringing to our attention the comments about your stay in our Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar which we will take in the highest consideration.

It is grateful to know that you recommend us and overall you enjoyed a great vacation and you have chosen us to spend your vacations despite the size of the Resort.

Thank you for your comments and it is good to know that you will probably return to our premises.

Greetings,

Reviewed 16 April 2014

Sorry this review is so late in coming but I hope it still helps. My husband and I stayed here last May for our anniversary with two other couples. The property is beautifully kept..from the grounds to the pool area and the beach. It has to be the cleanest property I have ever stayed at in the Punta Cana area of the Dominican Republic and this was our third visit to Punta Cana and we also have stayed in La Romana. They were always cleaning something. One nite before we went into the Italian restaurant for dinner they were scrubbing the front stairs with soap and water. Also, and this is something I really like, at the entrance to every restaurant there was a woman with a pump bottle of handsantizer and gave everyone a squirt. The food was very good at the buffet with a lot of choices. The speciality restaurants were pretty good but needed a little bit of improvement. Nice atmosphere at all. Service was great at all. The rooms were very nice and they also were very clean. But we did have a problem with leaking water. We returned from the Don Pablo after dinner on our second day to find our room had water pouring down from a pipe in the room above us. The bathroom was floating in about two inches of water when we returned from dinner. As we were phoning the concierge to report the problem water started to come pouring down the bedroom walls. My sister and brother in law had a water problem in their room earlier in the day as their airconditioner leaked all over the tile floor and when they came into the room she slipped and feel and hurt her hip. They were moved to another building while the airconditioner was repaired. After the leak in our room we were informed that there were no other rooms for us and we had to move into the room my in laws had vacated for the night and the air conditioner was repaired. We entered the room and found towels still on the floor and nothing had been cleaned since my in laws vacated the room. But we were tired and Christian assured us it was only for one night. We quickly moved our belongings from our old water soaked room to the temporary room. In the hurry my husband lost his wallet with his credit cards, money and license. The next day we spoke with Amy who enlisted the help of Marco the Assistant to the General Manager to help us ask the people who were now staying in our old room if we could check the safe for the wallet left behind. The people in the room were very uncooperative and refused to let us examine the safe for the lost wallet but after a while relented and needless to say the wallet was not there at this point. Amy helped us all morning to call the various credit card companies to cancel the credit cards, etc. and was very patient with us. She was wonderful! Marco the Assistant Manager was very rude and indifferent and treated us as if we were invisible hardly even speaking to us. Christian who handled the problem the night before moved us to a nice room the next day and had it decorated with balloons and sent us fruit and pasties. He also sent us for a wonderful couples massage and did the same for the other two couples we were traveling with. I have to say he saved our vacation and anniversary celebration and turned a bad situation into a wonderful vacation which was great the rest of the week. He was professional, helpful, courteous and caring and understood the value of customer service. He should be the manager of this property in my opinion and I hope that the managers at this hotel value and appreciate the employee they have in Christian. Other than the leak which could have ruined and turned us off to this place if it were not for Christian, I have to say it was a wonderful vacation and this resort was great all around.

Room Tip: We requested rooms that people previously recommended on trip advisor but rarely do you get what you...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank debdam56

Dear client,

Thank you for taking the time of sharing your opinion with us which we will take in the highest consideration. I want to offer our sincerest apologizes for the situation you have mentioned that almost ruined your vacation.

We regret not having been able to achieve our main objective with you, which is our guests´ entire satisfaction. Your gratefulness will be forward to Cristian, who created you a better anniversary despite the inconveniences you experienced.

We hope to have the pleasure to welcome you and be able to change the tarnished image.

We are always at your disposal,

Reviewed 15 April 2014

My husband and I had a great experience at the Bahia Ambar. The staff were extremely friendly and did whatever they could to accommodate what we asked. A few pros and cons:

PROS:
Everything was very clean from the rooms to the pool. The resort is very well maintained.

I thought the food was good at least for what you can expect at an all-inclusive. There were plenty of options at the buffet. The breakfast is amazing. TONS of options and Miguel is a master making omelets (and got out mushrooms per my request).

We arrived a day late due to travel issues. We had our travel agent call to let Ambar know but we're not sure if that actually happened as the front desk seemed a little puzzled to find us a room when we got there. We didn't get a room in the location we wanted at first (just outside of the Ambar area) but we requested to be moved, they didn't balk at. We got a room closer to the pool and lobby, which was nice.

I had a minor medical issue and used the services of the physician. Having to see a doctor in another country was a terrifying thought to me, but Dr. Perez was awesome. She spoke great English, was able to communicate with me on what she was able to do for me and was nice on top of it all. Very satisfied there.

CONS:
My husband and I were celebrating our 6 year anniversary. We're both 33 and we felt we were the youngest couple at Ambar by far. Not a big "con" but something to consider if you're thinking about honeymooning there and want to be around other honeymooners.

The entire place is HUGE! Ambar is just the adults only side which is nestled in the entire Bahia property. So we felt it was maybe a little too big for us, but that also gives you more options on things to do on the resort.

But that's also a con when it comes to reservations at the restaurants. We didn't get into the restaurants we really wanted to go to. We were only there for 4 nights and the first night for sure you'll have to do the buffet. I guess you can make reservations in advance on the app you can download. I wish I would have known that first.

All in all, great experience!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank sayler_d
socialmedia b, Customer service at Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar Blue Don Pablo Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 16 April 2014

Dear client,

We greatly appreciate that you have chosen our Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar to celebrate your 6th anniversary with your husband. We feel proud to read that you had overall a great experience and I want to thank you for highlight the cleanliness of the entire Resort.

We will wait for you another time to give another deserve vacations!!

Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, all-inclusive hotels in Punta Cana.

Reviewed 14 April 2014

Wonderful girls trip! Staff were fantastic. No complaints about this trip. Food was good not great. Choose the buffet option instead of restaurants due to flexibility. Perfect weather. I would definitely go back to this hotel

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank CCSims96
socialmedia b, Customer service at Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar Blue Don Pablo Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 15 April 2014

Dear Guest,

We are very pleased to read that this is a perfect place to stay. This is what is allowing us to make a difference in each guest experience and motivate us to continue striving towards excellence.

All-inclusive luxury hotels on the Dominican Republic with Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Punta Cana
Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar Green Don Pablo Collection
Luxury Bahia Principe Bouganville Don Pablo Collection
Luxury Bahia Principe Esmeralda Don Pablo Collection
Now Garden Punta Cana

Been to Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar Blue Don Pablo Collection? Share your experiences!