Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar Blue Don Pablo Collection
Ranked #50 of 111 Hotels in Punta Cana
“Very Nice Resort”
Reviewed 17 July 2014 via mobile

We were at the Ambar the first week of July and the weather was very hot. Overall the resort is very nice with well kept grounds. The beach is the star attraction.

Our room was in block 68 on the second floor. This was a good central location to pool, beach,restaurants & lobby. Only complaint about the room is that AC did not cool room down too much &lighting very poor for reading in evening. We brought an extension cord we used since there were no unused outlets & would suggest bringing light bulbs or reading lamp if you want to read in the evening.

There was a lot of food choices in the buffet to suit most folks need & the restaurants we tried were mostly good. However, both my husband & I got a stomach bug that spoiled our vacation. We are not sure where we got it since we did not leave the resort & were very careful to only drink the bottled water. Recovered now but symptomatic for a good week.

Most of the staff worked very hard to please the guests especially in the buffets and around the pool.
I want to say a special thanks to Bianca and Marlene who were very attentive around the pool bringing us drinks. These ladies work very hard & were very professional. Keep up the good work.

Speaking of staff. There is no excuse not to tip these folks. I was disappointed to see how many folks did not leave tips for any of the staff at the buffets, restaurants or bars. If you can afford a vacation you can afford to budget for tips too. No more excuses.

The Punta Cana airport leaves much to be desired but that is no fault of the resort.

This is an adult section of a very large complex. There tended to be an older less rambunctious crowd here that suited me for a quieter relaxing vacation. This may not be the best spot for someone looking for a livelier vacation with a lot of night life. Great for couples looking to reconnect.

This is not a luxury resort but is still very nice & would recommend as good value for the money.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Susan R
Viancagraciano, customer service at Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar Blue Don Pablo Collection, responded to this review, 18 July 2014
Dear Susan,

I would like to thank you for bringing to our attention your comments about your stay in our Hotel. It is through communications of this nature that our customers give us an opportunity to assess and evaluate our performance, as well as to ensure that we maintain and deliver the level of service expected from us.

Thank you for highlight the hard and good work from the staff that you consider deserve tips.

It will be a pleasure if you decide to return to our property. Thank you for your comments!!!

Best regards,

Bahia Principe Bavaro Resort

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,701)
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Plaster Rock, Canada
Reviewed 17 July 2014

Our fourth, 2 week stay at the Ambar was wonderful again! We had considered going somewhere else this year, but because of staff such as Maurice, Bianca, Marlene and Matos and because we knew quality and value for our dollar was assured, we return! And are glad we did. This year our room request of a third floor corner rooms was provided, please remember that there are only 48 corner rooms, so if you get one fine, if not, all rooms are good!
Our door was decorated on arrival with a 40th anniversary banner and when Maurice returned from holiday, she saw that we had a cake and wine delivered to our room! Please make use of your butler, they are there to support you in any way they can. Maurice arranged for a special pillow for me too.
Food: we only made two reservations for Don Pablo while we were there, because it is our favorite, otherwise we like the variety of the buffets. At lunch we ate at Los Cabos near the pool. This year they added a great barbecue offering. Our first week, we also ate breakfast at Los Cabos, but due to summer volume, management closed this restaurant for breakfast. We were disappointed because this altered our routine, but the variety at the main buffet was more extensive.
We are pool people, except for our daily walks on the beach. No problem finding a seat or palapa around the pool in July. No need to wake at the crack of dawn to save a seat, but we are early risers and enjoyed the quietness of the early morning and watching how staff works so hard to get everything in place for the day. We miss Bianca and Marlene at the pool, very personable and caring.
The grounds are immaculate!
What I like about the a Gran Bahia Ambar is that management does listen and read these reviews. I saw many new changes happening at the resort this year and I believe it is because they want to always be improving. So please try to make your reviews constructive, but fair. I really believe that the number of guests who return to this resort year after year is indicative of the calibre of the resort. We had never returned to the same resort before but now we hesitate to go any where else, we did one year and regretted it.
Met some lovely people again this year, some again were returning guests.
Tipping isn't required, but please be generous. Remember that if you were to eat a meal like those served in Don Pablo in Toronto, you would be paying hundreds of dollars for the same meal for 2 people with the expectation of a large tip. Many guests feel that it is "all inclusive" and just walk away, I don't feel that way. I'm impressed by the quality and service and acknowledge it with a tip.
All Staff working here are very dedicated, work extremely long shifts for very little pay.
Our only was excursion was an Eco Segway tour, loved it! Loved the Segway!
Have read reviews indicating that the clientele are "older", but from what I saw there was a real range in age from 20s to 70s. Everyone seemed to find something to match their needs or activity level.
One last comment doesn't relate specifically to the hotel, but to the airport, it was another reason, we had considered going elsewhere. This year it was far more sane and we departed from the air conditioned portion of the airport, much better.
Thank you, Luxury Gran Bahia Principe Ambar, we will be back!

Room Tip: All are good, accessible to beach and dining.
1 Thank Carol J
Dear Carol,

For all our Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar team it is a great compliment to know that you are a repeat vacationer in this resort and you returned to your second home because of the staff, who put theirs heart and soul to please you

This is what is allowing us to make a difference in each guest experience and motivate us to continue striving towards excellence. It´s great to know that this year was better than the past and you decide to come back every time.

Happy 40th anniversary and hoping to see you next year!!!

Many hugs,

Chorley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 July 2014

10 days to go. We can not believe that we are going back for the third time, last two holidays have been fantastic, can't wait!! Believe all the good reviews, ignore the bad,. Felt like we'd died n gone to heaven, luxury, luxury all the way. My sister has a very sensitive tummy, no problems here. Treated like royalty, loved all the al la carte restaurents, the service and especially the staff at the beach bars. xx

Room Tip: We just like the top floors
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank JUPITER444
Dear client,

It is wonderful to see that you are so exciting with this trip and you can´t wait to return because you loved all of the Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts. You are welcome to come to your second home every time you want, we are already waiting for you.

Kind regards,

Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed 17 July 2014

First anniversary trip for me and my wife. It was a fantastic experience. Since it was adults only but still part of a bigger complex (4 hotel resort), we got the quiet and romance we wanted but we were only a short walk away from the restaurants and activities of the other hotels. There were plenty of other people there, but did not feel crowded (it even felt strangely secluded at times). The food was great. I've seen more variety elsewhere, and we certainly ate more than a few things that weren't very good on the main buffet, but we found more than enough that we did like and stuffed ourselves silly. The restaurants (El Olivo and Don Pablo Gourmet, we didn't get to try Portofino) were fantastic. Staff was friendly and helpful with only a few exceptions (I came across a grumpy towel guy and water sports equipment guy). The beach wasn't great, but served its purpose for us, a little swimming and tanning. Pool was clean, pretty, and generally uncrowded. The room was big, pretty, clean, quiet (I don't think I ever heard anything outside our room other than some cleaning in the hallway around midday) and stayed very cool and comfortable. The bed was a little firm, but my wife hates firm beds and still slept great on it. There was a representative at the hotel that helped us pick and reserve an excursion that suited us. All in all, it was a wonderful romantic getaway that earned me points with the wife for a long time.

Room Tip: Not sure what is best. We had a corner room on the 2nd floor facing inside the resort, and it was de...
1 Thank igrabtheheel
Dear Guest,

It is a real pleasure to read that you experienced a great romantic getaway in an enjoyable stay in our wonderful Resort and you got what you wanted, quiet and romance

It´s great to know that you earned some points with your wife in this trip :)

Thank you for your comments and looking forward to welcoming you once again in this paradise.

Best regards,

Cidra, Puerto Rico
Reviewed 17 July 2014

We visited GB Principe and we were upgraded to the Ambar all adults resort. The best vacation I've had, the staff was very courteous and respectful.. And the resort well maintained.

I highly recommend dinner at Don Pablo and Maiko, not so much Santa Fe. Arabelys from Guest Services went the extra mile to make sure we had everything we needed. Rooms are huge and beds super comfy. Must keep a key in the room to keep the air and fridge on.

Please tip your room and guest services staff!! Santos, one of the bellhops made sure we had a ride to the airport. I will definitely be back to Gran Bahia Principe.. Must likely to Ambar

Great shows and activities with Kelly, Stefania and the entertainment team from Ambar and Bavaro. If you're in for pampering, do the Doctor Fish Ocean Spa.

• Stayed July 2014
2 Thank valcaraz
Viancagraciano, customer service at Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar Blue Don Pablo Collection, responded to this review, 17 July 2014
Dear Valcaraz,

We are very pleased to read that the adults’ only section was excellent and you had the best vacation ever here. Our excellent staff, will be proud to know that they made your trip the best it could be.

It is a great news that you liked the Maiko and Don Pablo and you highly recommend it.

We would be enchanted if you return to my beautiful country Dominican Republic.

Sunny Greetings,

Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 16 July 2014 via mobile

I've stayed at luxury Bahia principe Amber July 11-16
On arrival we pulled up to the lobby and I was unimpressed
We were then transferred to the Ambar lobby
Things started looking up immediately
We were then escorted to our rooms. There were no elevators to be found
Our room was in building 63 and room 63302
The room was very hot on arrival we were told then that we needed to leave the key in for the electricity to be turned on and for the room to cool down
We then went to the buffet to have lunch and into the beach upon arriving back to our room our room had only cooled some the room seem to stay warm for the whole entire time that we were there
That would be one of my biggest complaints at this resort
The best feature of this resort by far was the service of the staff the two young ladies that worked as greeters in the buffet not quite sure of the spelling of there names
Steaka and rosa I believe are the names I'm sure I'm spelling the first one incorrectly the tall brownskin young lady who was absolutely beautiful along with her sidekick will who always have an amazing smile and a great welcome for us when we can for dinner they were absolutely great I will miss you both and thank you for absolutely enjoyable vacation.
All in all I would say that it was a nice vacation
The con:
They most definitely need to invest in the printer for those that are printing out boarding passes the system that they had just does not work
I would recommend this location it does offer good value for the money and a nice beach vacation

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Dear client,

It is wonderful to know that you enjoyed this nice place and it is delightful to read that you recognize the friendliness of the Dominican people and the good service from the ladies you have mentioned at the buffet. On the other hand, I apologize for the inconvenient with the temperature in the room because this was your only complaint.

You are welcome to contact us for a next visit to any of our hotels that forms our Bahia Principe hotels & Resorts family.

Regards from my beautiful country,

Mansfield, Ohio
Reviewed 16 July 2014

The resort is gorgeous! We enjoyed many of the Staffa s they truly seemed to enjoy their jobs, there are always a few, but the others overshadow them! The Michael Jackson show was absolutely amazing! The performers were so good! The drinks were great and bartenders were very nice. Our room was beautiful and it was nice to be i. The adults only section. We loved our excursion booker, sigfriedo. He was wonderful! We also enjoyed our Caribbean party at the resort as well. Jose, number one sexy (lol) was great at the pool.

The disappointments: we ate at portofino on our 2nd night at the resort and both ended up being up all night with severe cramps etc. we definitely both had food poisoning. We were then stuck in our room for the next 30 hours as we could barely leave the bathroom. So unfortunately we lost 2 days of our vacation. The remaining days we ate at the restaurants everytime we ate we were running to the bathroom, I think the food practices are very different. We saw our Japanese cook cut chicken and beef with the same utensils...eew! Cross contamination. Everything was usually like warm on the the hot buffets, so I think food temp and bacteria breeding is a big issue. We also had our room not cleaned or stocked for 3 straight days, we had to ask everyday...it wasn't cleaned, finally on day 3 at night we went and had to push for it at guest services. Unfortunately another negative was the pool only being open until 6. We never saw anyone cleaning it after 6, so I'm not sure why it closed so early. We wanted to enjoy it much later! Unfortunately I'm home now and have been for 2 days and still unable to keep anything in my body. It's sad as we would pick a different resort next time mainly due to the food. When you save up and pay this much you expect top quality. It was our 10 year anniversary. Our first vacation since our honeymoon in Mexico. Thankfully my hubby and I enjoyed some other aspects, but overall we were disappointed.

1 Thank Rustygal12
Viancagraciano, customer service at Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar Blue Don Pablo Collection, responded to this review, 19 July 2014
Dear client,

It is good that you find some aspects worth to mention as the shows at night, great drinks and nice bartenders.

On the other hand, I regret not having been able to achieve our main objective with you, and the fact that you were disappointed with this trip.

We should take in consideration that certain risks are involved when traveling to the tropics. There are various factors that may contribute to illness, such as climate, temperature variation, combination of food and beverages, excessive sun exposure, personal reactions, among others, which is not an excuse of your situation.

Please let me inform you that our hotel follows a very strict hygiene, quality and security program monitored by the international company Cristal.

Always at your disposal,

Luxury Bahia Principe Bouganville Don Pablo Collection
Hotel Riu Palace Macao
Hotel Riu Palace Macao
#43 of 111 in Punta Cana

Been to Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar Blue Don Pablo Collection? Share your experiences!