“Excellent Vacation!”

Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar Blue Don Pablo Collection
Ranked #49 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
“Excellent Vacation!”
Reviewed 24 July 2014

We just returned from a week at the Bahia Principe Ambar and had a great time! We have been to other resorts in the Dominican Republic and this resort was by far the best. The pool and beach were beautiful. The food was great in the buffets and a la crates. We emailed for dinner reservations ahead of time and got most of our choices. The rooms were very nice complete with a very comfortable bed. We found the staff to be friendly and attentive. The resort is very well maintained. Ambar is part of the larger resort but the trolleys make it easy to get around. We really only needed to leave the Ambar area to go to a few excursions and a la cartes. When on Ambar everything is very walkable. You can use wi-fi in the lobby for free 1 hour a day. If you need more than that there is a small fee. I highly recommend this resort.

3 Thank Rachel B
Viancagraciano, customer service at Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar Blue Don Pablo Collection, responded to this review, 24 July 2014
Dear Rachel,

I greatly appreciate that you have chosen one of our Resorts as your holiday destination. It is a real pleasure to learn that you enjoyed an excellent week and consider this resort is by far the best.

I wish to continue providing the best of our personnel hospitality and friendliness, the quality of our services and facilities, and offer you another excellent experience at Dominican Republic in one of the best all-inclusive resorts, Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts.

Many hugs,

Bahia Principe Bavaro Resort

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,729)
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Cashiers, North Carolina
Reviewed 23 July 2014

Please note that I have traveled the world and stayed in many properties, this will be a complete review on amenities and service while staying at the Ambar in July. Also take into consideration I travel once a month and review properties and this is where I make my comparison, this is not just a once a year, saved up your money trip and have a great time trip with the wife or girlfriend.

Also note that while this is advertised as a Luxury Adult All-Inclusive that you are really staying in a section. There are actually a total of 5 resorts or 5 sections in my opinion and there are kids there all over the place, they are just not allowed into the section where you are checking in, pool or sleeping. They are on the beach and you will also see groups, families and kids as you go to any of the shows or other restaurants, so don't think you are going to Sandals Resort or Couples Resort and will see no kids.

Be sure to read at the end about the resort time share, don't be lured into this little car salesman sales pitch.

Check in process:
Arrived at the Ambar on a Sunday afternoon, the check in process was easy and smooth and room was already assigned. Please note that at check in I was not advised that I had to make reservations at all restaurants that were nice before 6 and you can not make reservations after 6PM or before 8AM, It would be good for the resort to tell you this as part of the check in process, so as soon as you arrive, go straight to guest services after check in and make dining reservations for your stay. Otherwise find out like me that you will need to make a reservation. Also note that although this is a resort with hot tropical weather in the summer, you are still required to wear long pants and be business formal for dinner, no shorts are allowed at dinner unless you are going to a buffet.

To the room:
Bellman was nice and friendly and walked luggage to the room. Please note that all rooms are all identical. Each building has 3 floors with steps only no elevators, so if you have a problem going up steps, make sure you request a 1st floor room.

The room:
You will need to use your room card to activate the lights and ac, etc....this is just inside the door, you can also use a business card to do the same trick. Please note that you will have a balcony, but if you open the door to the balcony and sit and enjoy it, be sure to close your door all the way or the AC will shut off. They have a magnetic sensor on the door and if it is just slightly cracked your AC will not work. The AC in this room would not cool down to 70 or lower, they do not use a filter on the AC and this could be the problem. The room is nice and large and has a nice sitting area, table, large bed, tv is standard, phone was broke and wrapped with tape and would only buzz once if being called.

The bathroom:
The bathroom is large with Jacuzzi and stand up shower, separate toilet area but no door and no AC in the bathroom area at all. The shower was missing the shower head, you would think they would have not missed this but it was completely gone, MIA. The toilet was dirty, had not been cleaned and had a paper over it stating it had been sanitized. I called several times and someone finally showed up from guest services and when showed areas of concern a simple I'm sorry was offered, areas of additional training for staff is needed to notice things like this if you want to claim to be a 5 star property. Also, when we decided to use the Jacuzzi, we discovered that the drain did not work properly and we called engineering again to fix something while we were out. The engineering department is great and they did fix everything, I would just expect that the Housekeeping department would do a better job of noticing these things and letting the next department know.

Guest Services:

These ladies are great, this is what made my stay the best that is was. The exceptional service and smiles from them. They made sure the room was decorated for the special event we had. They helped located our personal towel that housekeeping took with the regular laundry and returned it to us. Our hat was taken with the towel as it was part of the beach attire that was in the bathroom floor, this was the only thing they could not locate, I'm sure it is being used by someone related to housekeeping as it was a really nice hat. Overall, these ladies should be your best friend while at the resort and be sure to give them at least $20 your first day to let them know you appreciate them.

Don Pablo Restaurant
This is supposed to be the best restaurant and it was ok and maybe it is a great restaurant by DR standards. Bread was cold and bread is served cold/room temp in all restaurants on the property. When you order meat from the menu, a guy from the kitchen will come out with a tray and cut meat at your table or below if you are on the upper level and you will have to look down to the lower level to watch him cut your meat, rather odd they served the meat this way and not at the table or just prepared in the kitchen and plated. All restaurants serve the same red or white wine, any other choices of wine is an additional charge even though it is an All-Inclusive resort. Proper attire is required.

Maiko Japanese Restaurant
This restaurant is located at the Bavaro Section/Resort
There are two options when dining here, table with no show or sitting at the hibachi. Be sure you sit at the hibachi for the show. Although if you are wanting to be romantic and not talk or interact with others then the table only is for you. The difference is you pick your soup, app and entrée at the table. If you do the hibachi you are given all entrees, so you can have shrimp, salmon, beef and chicken this is a huge difference if you want to sample or try it all, you are given both apps the sushi and also the tempura apps. Regardless of table or hibachi you only choose one soup at either. When the chef cooks the meat you are not given the option of temp, he cooks it one way and that is med well to well done with the beef. Over all experience I would choose this restaurant over all I tried.

Garden Grill restaurant at the Punta Cana section/resort
While I was excited to go here and was told it would be one of the top restaurants in the complex it was not. This restaurant was another buffet except for the actual meat being cooked as this was brought by a server. So for salads, soups and desserts you served yourself and for the meat you placed the order with the server. Again, another restaurant with room temp cold bread. The food was good and enjoyed and this was the last night meal in a restaurant on the resort, it is also the restaurant that both myself and the person traveling with me both got sick and this happened within two hours of leaving. I was not as sick as my traveling companion, but believe me we both knew we ate something and we were sick for two days after and finally got better. I would be curious to know if others got sick after eating at this restaurant on this date which was a Wednesday.

Palmyra Restaurant located at Ambar is the main buffet restaurant.
This restaurant was good for breakfast each day and has a good variety of items. One thing I noticed is that the juices are not cold and are served at two ends of one serving table. One end actually has a very small ice bucket so you can put your juice on ice and it runs out, it appears that ice is a luxury within itself here, on the opposite end the juices are in larger containers for you to fill your glass but still no ice. Maybe ice in juice or actually cold juice is a regional thing, for me this was a disadvantage.

The El Olivo and buffet by the pool are good overall restaurants and one day the team was out grilling fish and meat, we ate here two days and overall it was good, the sangria is awesome.

The pool:
Make sure you get to the pool early as the umbrellas and cabanas fill up and lots of people never are there, they are at the beach or in the pool so it is very aggravating to see empty seats under umbrellas that you can not use. There are water and pool side exercise classes that are fun and entertaining.

The pool bar:
This bar does not have any premium beverages available, its house vodka and rums are things I have never heard of, they seem watered down and well this is just not the premium service of drinks I expected in a luxury 5 star resort, maybe they just advertise they are but believe me they are not.
The mini bar in the room frig is restocked once each day so basically what you need to do is soon as you arrive is take mini bottles from it and place in the safe or luggage and let them refill it while you are away at the pool, etc. and then start over the next morning. This was the only place I seen premium liquors. I asked for patron, 1800, Cuban rum and certain premium vodkas and these are not available in a place that advertises premium drinks at a charge and that international beverages are included, so don't be upset if this is why you are going.

THE SPCIAL PRIZE AND PRIVILEDGE CLUB LURE!!!
The special prize, the scam, the exclusive Privilege Club. You will receive in your room a black and gold folded invitation to stop by the Privilege desk for your free sunglasses, that is what you will get. Then you will be asked a few questions and then offered a special prize of a beach bag with towel, shirts and cap or the cigar and DR rum gift bag, you will then be asked to set a time that you are available and someone will take you to the privilege club, check you in, etc and then you are taken into a huge room with tons of full tables and people looking at the Privilege Club also located on the property. This is sold in three packages, the smallest package is 60 as in 60 weeks of vacations to use when ever, this Prepaid package is only 80k yes 80,000 USD. That day and that day only you will be given a bonus of 60 at Don Pablo Resorts and 60 at RCI, yes RCI. If you are a travel agent like myself you can not participate or even go in, but I went in undercover. People, do not waste your time going to this time share or unlimited weeks of vacation as they try to sell it to you. Why would you give someone your hard earned 80k, pay a yearly fee and then 215 a week for each of those 60 weeks when you decided to use them. That is another 12,900 so a total of 92,900 plus the yearly additional fees and this is the smallest package available. Trust me, taking a vacation should be liberating, not limited to a RCI book of where you can go and not limited to a Don Pablo Collection in just a few countries.......Do not waste your precious vacation doing this sales presentation, be strong and avoid this.

In speaking to the sales person I stated that I really enjoyed staying at luxury resorts, she asked me then why on earth did I stay at the Ambar when the Iberostar is located next door is far superior in quality and service than the Ambar Luxury 5star. I told her that the Ambar got great trip advisor reviews, was listed as 5 star, was reasonable priced and I wanted to see it in person. I was sold that I should of gone to Iberostar instead by an employee of Don Pablo because Ambar does not compare to 5 star service at Iberostar. Thank you Don Pablo for your advice.

Check out:
I thought I would be smart and call the bell stand an hour early and say hey, I need to have my bags picked up by 1145, I'm leaving at 12. Well simply stated no one showed up within an hour, I called again, at 12 I drug my bags and my companions bags down three flights of stairs, remember we are sick from eating at the Garden Grill the night before and yes it is bad. So after three calls and an hour notice, no bellman, bags to check out and although I had paid my bill earlier in the morning, the young lady did not give me a check out pass, something I have not experienced even in Cuba, but always in DR. So back to the front desk, get a check out slip and then I am allowed to leave the resort, its like I'm a hostage.

Overall experience, this is by no global standard a 5 star resort, if you desire 5 star, go to the Iberostar like the Don Pablo employee suggest. Check in was smooth and easy, make sure you make dinner res as soon as you arrive, check your room for proper ac cooling and that your bathroom has proper attachments. This being a 5 star all inclusive resort, one should not only have one hour of wifi a day if needed and charged such high prices after. Its all inclusive and 5 star, include unlimited wifi. Money exchange, just use your credit card as much as possible as the the exchange rate is 42 to 1usd, the hotel will give you 39 to 1usd and the airport will give you 37 to 1usd, so use your credit card as much as you can to get the biggest bang for your buck. Food, well it is advertised as the best in the world, but really I've had much better, I was not wowed at all and would never expect to see it on the food network. The grounds are maintained in good order and landscaping is nice for the area. The pool is large and plenty of room to have your personal time and talk, the beach is packed and this is where you will definitely see the kids and the locals trying to sell you stuff from cigars to tips from playing music.

If you are the average Joe and Susan and didn't arrive by private plane or 1st or business class seats, ground transport by private car, then maybe you will like this resort, it has all the basics, but if you are looking for true 5 star like The Sanctuary at Kiawah Island or the Leading Hotels of the World collection, this is not that kind of 5 star, I truly believe the 5 star is their version and not an accredited 5 star.

I hope you find this review eye opening and yes the shocker was a sales employee telling me to go to Iberostar if I wanted a true luxury resort and why would I even come here, I felt rather embarrassed to say the least and well Don Pablo, if you want me back for a follow up review, you will need to make this a true all inclusive from door to door.

All my best fellow travelers and I hope you make a good decision on your Punta Cana travels.

Room Tip: Best room location will be units closest to the pool near the beach.
6 Thank SaltLifeAdventurer
Dear travel agent,

Thank you very much for your extensive review, which help others so much. I would like to take this opportunity to extend our most sincere apologies for the inconveniences you encountered during your stay at our hotel and for let us know about your experience. As you are a traveling person around the world your opinion is very important for us.

Thank you for highlighting the guest service team and Olivo restaurant with an awesome sangria.

Please be assured that your comments have been already brought to the General Management of the Privilege Club and our Bahia Principe Resort and we will give the proper attention.

We thank you for taking the time of sharing your opinion.

Kindest regards,

Warrington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 July 2014

This place is simply fantastic. The levels of service given by the brilliant staff give are just terrific. The people who have given this place bad reviews must be mentally challenged, honestly we could not fault it.

We stayed in the Ambar and the place is immaculate in every respect. The lobby, the gardens, the villas are all fabulous. We were dropped off at the Bavaro lobby and quickly we were transported via a golf buggy to the Ambar reception. Upon arrival there we were quickly checked in and given our room key and our pre-booked dinner reservations in an envelope. Our luggage was taken ahead to our room whilst we had a quick welcome cocktail. We stayed in building 61 on the top floor (just as we had requested via email). The room was large and spacious with very comfortable beds. The bathroom was huge and had a walk-in shower and large bath. Plenty of toiletries were supplied. The air con kept the place really cool (always a nice feeling after a day in the sun when your room is like a fridge when you return). A word about the maid, she seemed to be working 24-7 doing an excellent job and keeping the place immaculate. She kept our mini bar well stocked. We left her a note requesting extra crisps and beers and a small tip and she obliged. Bravo!

The grounds of the place are beautiful and the gardeners work round the clock maintaining them. The pool is lovely and the guys at the pool bar are very friendly. The waitresses are constantly walking round the pool offering drinks. Brilliant service yet again. I'm an early riser so I got us a space at the pool at 8am each day before a jog on the beach. However, there seemed to be space around the pool all through the day. 'The towel game' does go on, but more on the beach than round the pool. Having said that, there's so many loungers and parasols on the beach that there's always space to be found. The beach is white sand and gorgeous turquoise water. Really beautiful.

Probably our favourite part of the Ambar was the food; absolutely gorgeous. The buffet has plenty of choice and we ate here every morning for breakfast. There is a beach snack bar too, but snack bar is probably doing it a dis-service, it’s a large high quality self-service buffet. You can eat breakfast and lunch here too. When it came to evening meals we ate at the buffet a few times and it was very tasty with tonnes of choice. Anybody who didn’t like the choice on offer here seriously must not eat. At all. Ever! There was more than enough to choose from and the quality was good.

The stars of the show though were the A La Cartes. Don Pablo and El Olivo were utterly sensational. Real classy service and delicious food; steak, lobster, lamb, chicken, pasta, soup all cooked with style and skill. And once again the service here was sublime. Silver-service from the staff.

Please note: The complex is very large and the hotel run trains regularly to get you around the place. Part of the fun is finding your way around! People with limited brain function (some of whom have left bad reviews here) may find it hard to understand the transport logistics, but it really isn’t difficult. There’s a couple of shuttle trains running on a loop around the complex. Hop on them and hop off as you please. Go and explore and have fun. It’s all part of the holiday adventure.

Whatever you do, please do not believe any of the idiotic, brainless, negative reviews for this place. It’s wonderful and we will return one day!

Thank you Ambar!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank EmmaDamian
La Jolla, California
Reviewed 22 July 2014

The Bahia Principe in Punta Cana, Dominican Republic, has three separately named hotels areas under the same property. Two of the areas are for families with young children. We stayed at the Ambar which is adult only. The resort has beautiful soft white sand beaches with an azure, warm ocean. The room was clean and well appointed. The bathroom was huge with a shower area separate from the enormous tub. The hotel water was clean and drinkable. I was told by the staff that they have their own water purifier on the resort. There are several different restaurants to choose from each day which are open at specific times and a buffet which is nearly always open each day. All drinks were included but the bar in the lobby had the best drinks which seemed to be the least watered down. We felt the beach bars tended to water their drinks which probably if for everyones own good since too much sun and alcohol don't always mix and many people don't use good judgement. The Ambar pool was quite large with a swim up bar. The water was a little too warm in my opinion and I didn't spend much time in it. The hotel offers nightly entertainment and dancing in the lobby area which is open air and huge. There are also speciality drinks offered along with snacks and munchies. Much of the menu at the Ambar includes papas (potatoes). Lots of potatoes prepared various ways. Lots of bread. Lots of mangos. The staff is very eager to please and will cook omelets to order if you ask. Coffee is excellent. The beds in the room are medium to hard. There are pool towels available for each visitor in the room. If you need a clean or dry one, you must take the used one to the towel cabana at poolside and exchange it for a clean one. Landscaping on the property is beautiful. We very much enjoyed our stay at the Ambar and hope to visit again!

Room Tip: Bring your own flotation equipment if you want to use it in the pool. There are floaties for purcha...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Skipadee
Viancagraciano, customer service at Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar Blue Don Pablo Collection, responded to this review, 23 July 2014
Dear Guest,

Posts such as yours delight us and gives us confidence to keep working hard to satisfy our customers and improve our services. It is wonderful to read that in our Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar you enjoyed so much your stay and this is a beautiful hotel for you.

Thank you for recommending us and highlight the beautiful landscaping. Please feel free to contact us for your next visit in order to prepare all the details before arrival, and make your next visit the most unforgettable experience in the Caribbean.

All-inclusive luxury hotels on the Dominican Republic with Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts.

Tampa, Florida
Reviewed 22 July 2014

My wife and I recently spent a fun filled all-inclusive week at the Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar resort in Punta Cana, Dominican Republic. The service was simply exceptional. The resort featured dozens of excellent restaurants on the resort site. The evening shows and entertainment were incredible. The beach is gorgeous. I highly recommend.

7 Thank Canetrap
Dear Guest,

We are very pleased to read that you enjoyed with your wife a wonderful and fun week at our adults only. At Bahia Principe our goal is to make your vacation become an unforgettable experience.

You are welcome to contact us for your next visit to organize an excellent celebration for you.

Regards from Punta Cana!

Reviewed 22 July 2014

My son and I stayed for a week at this outstanding Hotel, the service, the rooms, the food and the grounds were first class, I only wish we could have stayed longer, I would like to make a special mention to Murphy and William from the main lobby bar also Kelly and Stephanie from the Animation team and Scala from the main buffet, they all entertained us and made us feel very special, thanks guys

• Stayed July 2014
3 Thank Jim M
Dear Jim,

It is wonderful to read that our staff made your trip the most enjoyable stay and made you feel very special. People you mentioned will be happy and motivated to know that they contributed in creating you a memorable experience.

Thank you for sharing your experience in our hotel.

Warm greetings,

Reviewed 22 July 2014

We stayed at the ambar from 28th june 2014 for 14nights. The Ambar is a fantastic resort and exceeded all our expectations. The rooms are very large & kept spotless (we had a ground floor corner room in block 60). The maids ensure that the rooms are kept to a high standard, & the turndown service with chocolates on a night are a very nice gesture.

The whole resort is beautiful, and every room is close to all amenities. The gardening team are always at work making sure the grounds are kept in pristine condition.

The food in the buffet is excellent, and there is such a wide variety, you do not really need to use the a la carte restaurants, but the mikido a la carte was outstanding we visited this restaurant twice. All of the staff at the Ambar are very happy and friendly, and the service is excellent.

Since the ambar is adult only hotel it is nice to be able to relax during the day around the pool but also have the opportunity to use other facilities & visit the other hotels during the evening, where there is more atmosphere. The complex put on trams that will transport you around the complex until 3am, so no walking is involved, these are very regular. All guests at the ambar seem friendly, & you will not struggle for conversation around the pool during the day.

Finally when we arrived, it was my boyfriends birthday during our stay and the hotel identified this with a gift and personalised welcome message, & banner on the door, these extra finishing touches go along way.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Holmes88
Dear Holmes,

It is a pleasure to read that you had an excellent time celebrating your boyfriend´s birthday and you enjoyed the especial touches at the room. We are enchanted with your nice review and because we exceeded your expectations in this fantastic Resort.

I wish to welcome you once again at Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar to experience the hospitality of our people, the quality of our services and facilities.

Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, a dream in the Caribbean.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Punta Cana
Luxury Bahia Principe Esmeralda Don Pablo Collection
Hotel Riu Palace Macao
Hotel Riu Palace Macao
#44 of 112 in Punta Cana

Been to Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar Blue Don Pablo Collection? Share your experiences!