Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar Blue Don Pablo Collection
Ranked #49 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
Reviewed 24 July 2014

I'm here now and it is wonderful. I think by now we all realize that there are some that just can't be pleased. This is a wonderful place and all staff are friendly and delightful. The info regarding tips is true regarding drinks. I can wait the 4 minutes to get what I want rather than tipping every drink and having your drink ready when you reach the bar. It makes sense, if someone is going to feed you money every time you wait on them you would have their drinks ready to. A very small disappointment.......I read on here that the room staff would really appreciate perfumes and such so I brought 7 bottles of perfume to leave one each day along with a generous monetary tip, but don't seem to be getting anything like towel birds or extra mini bar. Perhaps that was wrong of me to expect that.......but thought I would try. Everything is Fantastic here!! I really understand now why the bubba king dude keeps coming back here.......it is Awesome. ,!!!

4  Thank sammy5358
Viancagraciano, customer service at Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar Blue Don Pablo Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 26 July 2014

Dear Sammy,

Thank you so much for your comment.

I really appreciate that you have chosen one of our Resorts as your holiday destination. It is a real pleasure to learn that you are enjoying an excellent time together with us.

I wish to continue providing the best of our personnel hospitality, the quality of our services and facilities, and offer you an unforgettable experience at Dominican Republic.

Keep enjoying this paradise!!!

Reviewed 24 July 2014

My husband and i have been to this resort five times, the first four with Iberostar. We are always wary of change as we have always had great holidays with iberostar hotel.But we decided this year we would try Bahia hotel.

From the moment we arrived we knew we had made a good choice, the receptionist a lovely lady made us feel so welcome. :)

We were celebrating our wedding anniversary during our stay and when we arrived at our room the door was decorated with balloons and a banner as was our room it was such a lovely welcome after a long journey.

As other travelers have said go for a ground floor room or first floor if you are perhaps not so fit, we were on the third which was fine for us the first week, but after a week of fab food and drink it got tough HA ha but it was our only exercise for two weeks so it did us good lol.

The beach is fantastic and the staff work so hard to keep it clear of seaweed. It is more popular then the pool. if you want to be seated in the first three rows you need to be down by 8am the first row is gone by 6am. There are plenty of beds with shades but the further back you go the hotter it gets, us brits dont cope so well with the heat lol.

The pool there are loads of sunbeds we were swimming alone at 9am and there were only a few beds reserved.Even when we came off the beach there was loads of beds free.

The restaurants were we found easy to book we normally liked to eat around 8.30. We had some lovely meals loved the gourmet, Mediterranean and steak bar.The buffet restaurant has a good choice and cant believe the great standard of food when they are serving so many people.

In the evening we only went over to the next hotel once it was enough lol we loved the the Bahia bar area and the entertainment at night, so laid back. If you were lucky you could get a seat on the patio area which was cooler then inside. But we were pleased to see they are in fact extending this area and im sure must be finished now so there will be a bigger area outside.

The best thing though about this hotel are the staff they really go the extra mile to make your stay great, they all work so hard in all area's.

The waitress's at night were fantastic they never let you look at an empty glass. We loved Franklin on the beach he cleaned our beds and feet of sand, always smiling always trying out his English and i bet other languages such a star,also the lovely chambermaid in the ladies bathroom always there with paper towel in hand for you to dry them ( i did not get her name)

The Bahia staff really are credit to this company and really made our holiday.

So to sum up Iberostar kind of pip Bahia with speed of service in the specialty restaurants but that really is all. So im so glad that my husband and i decided to be brave and book with a different hotel chain. We will for sure be booking the Bhaia Principe again.

This really is a lovely relaxing hotel, good food all branded alcohol but the stars of the ship the wonderful Bahia staff.

Thankyou all for making our holiday so lovely :)

Room Tip: Corner suites look great, go for ground or first floor rooms
4  Thank luke00
Viancagraciano, customer service at Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar Blue Don Pablo Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2014

Dear client,

In the name of our General Manager and all staff members, I would like to thank you for choosing our hotel for your wedding anniversary and it is good to know that you liked the special decoration and details for your celebration.

I am very pleased to know that you found the best thing was the hard working staff that made your holiday lovely.

I wish to see you once again in this paradise and provide you another blissful holiday.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 24 July 2014

I stayed at a Grand Bahia 3 months ago and had an amazing time. I was disappointed this hotel did not live up to my expectations.

The room was not cleaned the entire four days we stayed. The first day we were happy to enter the room and see fresh hibiscus blossoms scattered across the beds and in the bathroom. The next day we returned from the beach around 5:00 and were surprised to find the room hadn't been cleaned, and the hibiscus blossoms were all dead. Chalking it up to an oversight, we didn't think anything of it. I washed out the cups we had been using and a lime fell out into the sink. We came back from dinner and someone had left the now-dead hibiscus blossoms scattered on the floor and sink, taken the lime out of the sink and placed it on the counter, and placed one new towel on the sink. We thought it was very odd.

The next day we returned from the beach, again around 5:00 pm, and found the room still had not been cleaned, beds hadn't been made, bathroom not cleaned, and no fresh towels. We went down to guest services to complain since the hibiscus blossoms were still lying around in various spots and the lime was still on the counter. The guest services rep was very nice, apologized, and assured us it would be handled first thing tomorrow. Day four (and our last day) came around, and we returned from the beach to again not have a clean room. We complained to guest services, and the rep came to "inspect" the room with a housekeeper. The housekeeper was practically yelling in Spanish, pointing out that the lamp was not dusty, the trash was not full, and that the leaf she took from the bathroom was not dead. We replied that there were dead blossoms everywhere, and besides leaving a towel on the sink, nothing had been done. The guest services rep offered us a complimentary bottle of wine, but we refused, since, after all, it was all inclusive and therefore not a particularly meaningful gesture. We also requested the housekeeper to not return to our room as we felt uncomfortable with her being around our belongings with that sort of an attitude. The guest services rep apologized, but did nothing else to assist.

Although not having a bed made, not having a room cleaned, and not having clean towels for 4 days is not the end of the world, it is something I expect to have done when paying for a "luxury" all-inclusive. The lack of housekeeping definitely put a damper on a trip that I otherwise enjoyed. The beach was beautiful, the drinks were good, the bartenders friendly, and the food was excellent. The housekeeping, however, left much to be desired.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Betsy S
Viancagraciano, customer service at Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar Blue Don Pablo Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2014

Dear Betsy,

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your experience at our Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar. It is through communications of this nature that our customers give us an opportunity to assess and evaluate our performance. We are really sorry to hear that you felt you did not receive the service you were entitled to with the housekeeping team.

As you being you here 3 months ago, it is unfortunate that you felt disappointed this time with your stay!!!

Always at your disposal,

Reviewed 24 July 2014

This is my first review ever but i felt compelled to share my experience at this fine hotel. I recently traveled to the Ambar from July 11 thru 17th for my birthday. The lobby, hotel gorunds and pool are well kept and the staff is phenomenal. Major Kudos to the manager Emmanuel, Enerio and Dio, they truly helped make my birthday the most memorable ever. The food at all the resturants were great but my favorite was Don Pablo. They even decorated my room and provided champagne and cake on my birthday. I was so wowed by my time there that im planning on coming back In November with my mom for her birthday. Only con is the WIFI is free for a hour each day and the Lobby dies down by 11pm if you are a young partier like myself. Outside of this I will give the Ambar 5 stars for hospitality and great customer service and the best dinning experience.

Room Tip: Room 67 is near the pool.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Christle,

It is an honor to read that Emmanuel, Enerio and Dio were above and beyond to make your birthday the most memorable ever and you enjoyed so much the details they prepared for you.

It´s amazing to know that you had the best dining experience in the Don Pablo´s restaurant.

Please feel free to contact us for your future stay in November in order to prepare all the details before arrival, and make your next visit the most unforgettable experience in the Caribbean.

Warm greetings,

Reviewed 24 July 2014

We stayed at the Ambar part of the resort which is only for adults. Food,staff,service,grounds, rooms, pool and the beach were great. I was surprised about the amount of seaweed in the ocean but it did not stop us from enjoying it. I was also surprised how early (7:00 a.m.) people got up to put their belongings on the loungers to save them for the day! We went on the Saona Island excursion which made for a nice relaxing day. You should bring water shoes because there are lots of rocks on the bottom of the ocean at the island you visit. Overall, I would highly recommend Bahia Principe Ambar (adult only) resort.

• Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank Robert C

Dear Robert,

I am very pleased to know that you enjoyed our all-inclusive adults only. It is a pleasure to read that you had a wonderful 25th wedding anniversary and you found the services was great.

Thanks for recommending us and I wish you all the best.

Regards from Grand Bahia Principe Bavaro!

Reviewed 24 July 2014

We just returned from a week at the Bahia Principe Ambar and had a great time! We have been to other resorts in the Dominican Republic and this resort was by far the best. The pool and beach were beautiful. The food was great in the buffets and a la crates. We emailed for dinner reservations ahead of time and got most of our choices. The rooms were very nice complete with a very comfortable bed. We found the staff to be friendly and attentive. The resort is very well maintained. Ambar is part of the larger resort but the trolleys make it easy to get around. We really only needed to leave the Ambar area to go to a few excursions and a la cartes. When on Ambar everything is very walkable. You can use wi-fi in the lobby for free 1 hour a day. If you need more than that there is a small fee. I highly recommend this resort.

3  Thank Rachel B
Viancagraciano, customer service at Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar Blue Don Pablo Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 24 July 2014

Dear Rachel,

I greatly appreciate that you have chosen one of our Resorts as your holiday destination. It is a real pleasure to learn that you enjoyed an excellent week and consider this resort is by far the best.

I wish to continue providing the best of our personnel hospitality and friendliness, the quality of our services and facilities, and offer you another excellent experience at Dominican Republic in one of the best all-inclusive resorts, Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts.

Many hugs,

Reviewed 23 July 2014

Please note that I have traveled the world and stayed in many properties, this will be a complete review on amenities and service while staying at the Ambar in July. Also take into consideration I travel once a month and review properties and this is where I make my comparison, this is not just a once a year, saved up your money trip and have a great time trip with the wife or girlfriend.

Also note that while this is advertised as a Luxury Adult All-Inclusive that you are really staying in a section. There are actually a total of 5 resorts or 5 sections in my opinion and there are kids there all over the place, they are just not allowed into the section where you are checking in, pool or sleeping. They are on the beach and you will also see groups, families and kids as you go to any of the shows or other restaurants, so don't think you are going to Sandals Resort or Couples Resort and will see no kids.

Be sure to read at the end about the resort time share, don't be lured into this little car salesman sales pitch.

Check in process:
Arrived at the Ambar on a Sunday afternoon, the check in process was easy and smooth and room was already assigned. Please note that at check in I was not advised that I had to make reservations at all restaurants that were nice before 6 and you can not make reservations after 6PM or before 8AM, It would be good for the resort to tell you this as part of the check in process, so as soon as you arrive, go straight to guest services after check in and make dining reservations for your stay. Otherwise find out like me that you will need to make a reservation. Also note that although this is a resort with hot tropical weather in the summer, you are still required to wear long pants and be business formal for dinner, no shorts are allowed at dinner unless you are going to a buffet.

To the room:
Bellman was nice and friendly and walked luggage to the room. Please note that all rooms are all identical. Each building has 3 floors with steps only no elevators, so if you have a problem going up steps, make sure you request a 1st floor room.

The room:
You will need to use your room card to activate the lights and ac, etc....this is just inside the door, you can also use a business card to do the same trick. Please note that you will have a balcony, but if you open the door to the balcony and sit and enjoy it, be sure to close your door all the way or the AC will shut off. They have a magnetic sensor on the door and if it is just slightly cracked your AC will not work. The AC in this room would not cool down to 70 or lower, they do not use a filter on the AC and this could be the problem. The room is nice and large and has a nice sitting area, table, large bed, tv is standard, phone was broke and wrapped with tape and would only buzz once if being called.

The bathroom:
The bathroom is large with Jacuzzi and stand up shower, separate toilet area but no door and no AC in the bathroom area at all. The shower was missing the shower head, you would think they would have not missed this but it was completely gone, MIA. The toilet was dirty, had not been cleaned and had a paper over it stating it had been sanitized. I called several times and someone finally showed up from guest services and when showed areas of concern a simple I'm sorry was offered, areas of additional training for staff is needed to notice things like this if you want to claim to be a 5 star property. Also, when we decided to use the Jacuzzi, we discovered that the drain did not work properly and we called engineering again to fix something while we were out. The engineering department is great and they did fix everything, I would just expect that the Housekeeping department would do a better job of noticing these things and letting the next department know.

Guest Services:

These ladies are great, this is what made my stay the best that is was. The exceptional service and smiles from them. They made sure the room was decorated for the special event we had. They helped located our personal towel that housekeeping took with the regular laundry and returned it to us. Our hat was taken with the towel as it was part of the beach attire that was in the bathroom floor, this was the only thing they could not locate, I'm sure it is being used by someone related to housekeeping as it was a really nice hat. Overall, these ladies should be your best friend while at the resort and be sure to give them at least $20 your first day to let them know you appreciate them.

Don Pablo Restaurant
This is supposed to be the best restaurant and it was ok and maybe it is a great restaurant by DR standards. Bread was cold and bread is served cold/room temp in all restaurants on the property. When you order meat from the menu, a guy from the kitchen will come out with a tray and cut meat at your table or below if you are on the upper level and you will have to look down to the lower level to watch him cut your meat, rather odd they served the meat this way and not at the table or just prepared in the kitchen and plated. All restaurants serve the same red or white wine, any other choices of wine is an additional charge even though it is an All-Inclusive resort. Proper attire is required.

Maiko Japanese Restaurant
This restaurant is located at the Bavaro Section/Resort
There are two options when dining here, table with no show or sitting at the hibachi. Be sure you sit at the hibachi for the show. Although if you are wanting to be romantic and not talk or interact with others then the table only is for you. The difference is you pick your soup, app and entrée at the table. If you do the hibachi you are given all entrees, so you can have shrimp, salmon, beef and chicken this is a huge difference if you want to sample or try it all, you are given both apps the sushi and also the tempura apps. Regardless of table or hibachi you only choose one soup at either. When the chef cooks the meat you are not given the option of temp, he cooks it one way and that is med well to well done with the beef. Over all experience I would choose this restaurant over all I tried.

Garden Grill restaurant at the Punta Cana section/resort
While I was excited to go here and was told it would be one of the top restaurants in the complex it was not. This restaurant was another buffet except for the actual meat being cooked as this was brought by a server. So for salads, soups and desserts you served yourself and for the meat you placed the order with the server. Again, another restaurant with room temp cold bread. The food was good and enjoyed and this was the last night meal in a restaurant on the resort, it is also the restaurant that both myself and the person traveling with me both got sick and this happened within two hours of leaving. I was not as sick as my traveling companion, but believe me we both knew we ate something and we were sick for two days after and finally got better. I would be curious to know if others got sick after eating at this restaurant on this date which was a Wednesday.

Palmyra Restaurant located at Ambar is the main buffet restaurant.
This restaurant was good for breakfast each day and has a good variety of items. One thing I noticed is that the juices are not cold and are served at two ends of one serving table. One end actually has a very small ice bucket so you can put your juice on ice and it runs out, it appears that ice is a luxury within itself here, on the opposite end the juices are in larger containers for you to fill your glass but still no ice. Maybe ice in juice or actually cold juice is a regional thing, for me this was a disadvantage.

The El Olivo and buffet by the pool are good overall restaurants and one day the team was out grilling fish and meat, we ate here two days and overall it was good, the sangria is awesome.

The pool:
Make sure you get to the pool early as the umbrellas and cabanas fill up and lots of people never are there, they are at the beach or in the pool so it is very aggravating to see empty seats under umbrellas that you can not use. There are water and pool side exercise classes that are fun and entertaining.

The pool bar:
This bar does not have any premium beverages available, its house vodka and rums are things I have never heard of, they seem watered down and well this is just not the premium service of drinks I expected in a luxury 5 star resort, maybe they just advertise they are but believe me they are not.
The mini bar in the room frig is restocked once each day so basically what you need to do is soon as you arrive is take mini bottles from it and place in the safe or luggage and let them refill it while you are away at the pool, etc. and then start over the next morning. This was the only place I seen premium liquors. I asked for patron, 1800, Cuban rum and certain premium vodkas and these are not available in a place that advertises premium drinks at a charge and that international beverages are included, so don't be upset if this is why you are going.

THE SPCIAL PRIZE AND PRIVILEDGE CLUB LURE!!!
The special prize, the scam, the exclusive Privilege Club. You will receive in your room a black and gold folded invitation to stop by the Privilege desk for your free sunglasses, that is what you will get. Then you will be asked a few questions and then offered a special prize of a beach bag with towel, shirts and cap or the cigar and DR rum gift bag, you will then be asked to set a time that you are available and someone will take you to the privilege club, check you in, etc and then you are taken into a huge room with tons of full tables and people looking at the Privilege Club also located on the property. This is sold in three packages, the smallest package is 60 as in 60 weeks of vacations to use when ever, this Prepaid package is only 80k yes 80,000 USD. That day and that day only you will be given a bonus of 60 at Don Pablo Resorts and 60 at RCI, yes RCI. If you are a travel agent like myself you can not participate or even go in, but I went in undercover. People, do not waste your time going to this time share or unlimited weeks of vacation as they try to sell it to you. Why would you give someone your hard earned 80k, pay a yearly fee and then 215 a week for each of those 60 weeks when you decided to use them. That is another 12,900 so a total of 92,900 plus the yearly additional fees and this is the smallest package available. Trust me, taking a vacation should be liberating, not limited to a RCI book of where you can go and not limited to a Don Pablo Collection in just a few countries.......Do not waste your precious vacation doing this sales presentation, be strong and avoid this.

In speaking to the sales person I stated that I really enjoyed staying at luxury resorts, she asked me then why on earth did I stay at the Ambar when the Iberostar is located next door is far superior in quality and service than the Ambar Luxury 5star. I told her that the Ambar got great trip advisor reviews, was listed as 5 star, was reasonable priced and I wanted to see it in person. I was sold that I should of gone to Iberostar instead by an employee of Don Pablo because Ambar does not compare to 5 star service at Iberostar. Thank you Don Pablo for your advice.

Check out:
I thought I would be smart and call the bell stand an hour early and say hey, I need to have my bags picked up by 1145, I'm leaving at 12. Well simply stated no one showed up within an hour, I called again, at 12 I drug my bags and my companions bags down three flights of stairs, remember we are sick from eating at the Garden Grill the night before and yes it is bad. So after three calls and an hour notice, no bellman, bags to check out and although I had paid my bill earlier in the morning, the young lady did not give me a check out pass, something I have not experienced even in Cuba, but always in DR. So back to the front desk, get a check out slip and then I am allowed to leave the resort, its like I'm a hostage.

Overall experience, this is by no global standard a 5 star resort, if you desire 5 star, go to the Iberostar like the Don Pablo employee suggest. Check in was smooth and easy, make sure you make dinner res as soon as you arrive, check your room for proper ac cooling and that your bathroom has proper attachments. This being a 5 star all inclusive resort, one should not only have one hour of wifi a day if needed and charged such high prices after. Its all inclusive and 5 star, include unlimited wifi. Money exchange, just use your credit card as much as possible as the the exchange rate is 42 to 1usd, the hotel will give you 39 to 1usd and the airport will give you 37 to 1usd, so use your credit card as much as you can to get the biggest bang for your buck. Food, well it is advertised as the best in the world, but really I've had much better, I was not wowed at all and would never expect to see it on the food network. The grounds are maintained in good order and landscaping is nice for the area. The pool is large and plenty of room to have your personal time and talk, the beach is packed and this is where you will definitely see the kids and the locals trying to sell you stuff from cigars to tips from playing music.

If you are the average Joe and Susan and didn't arrive by private plane or 1st or business class seats, ground transport by private car, then maybe you will like this resort, it has all the basics, but if you are looking for true 5 star like The Sanctuary at Kiawah Island or the Leading Hotels of the World collection, this is not that kind of 5 star, I truly believe the 5 star is their version and not an accredited 5 star.

I hope you find this review eye opening and yes the shocker was a sales employee telling me to go to Iberostar if I wanted a true luxury resort and why would I even come here, I felt rather embarrassed to say the least and well Don Pablo, if you want me back for a follow up review, you will need to make this a true all inclusive from door to door.

All my best fellow travelers and I hope you make a good decision on your Punta Cana travels.

Room Tip: Best room location will be units closest to the pool near the beach.
6  Thank SaltLifeAdventurer

Dear travel agent,

Thank you very much for your extensive review, which help others so much. I would like to take this opportunity to extend our most sincere apologies for the inconveniences you encountered during your stay at our hotel and for let us know about your experience. As you are a traveling person around the world your opinion is very important for us.

Thank you for highlighting the guest service team and Olivo restaurant with an awesome sangria.

Please be assured that your comments have been already brought to the General Management of the Privilege Club and our Bahia Principe Resort and we will give the proper attention.

We thank you for taking the time of sharing your opinion.

Kindest regards,

Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar Green Don Pablo Collection
Luxury Bahia Principe Esmeralda Don Pablo Collection
Luxury Bahia Principe Bouganville Don Pablo Collection
Now Garden Punta Cana

Been to Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar Blue Don Pablo Collection? Share your experiences!