Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar Blue Don Pablo Collection
Ranked #48 of 110 Hotels in Punta Cana
New York City, New York
“Great Girls Trip”
Reviewed 29 July 2014

What a great trip! A friend of mine and I decided we wanted to take a girls trip and we're so happy we decided to stay at the Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar. The beach was great, including the drink service. A special thanks to Hensel for being so attentive to my friend and I as we lounged on the beach. The food was amazing at the buffet and specialty restaurants. I especially enjoyed my meal at Portofino (Italian fare). I've never been a fan of spending time at the pool with the ocean so close by. However, my experience at the pool was amazing and I'll now consider pool time as essential on my next resort trip. Our room was spacious, the beds were comfortable, and the entire room was spotless. All musts in my book when traveling!

My friend and I visited the spa and both of us enjoyed our massages and would recommend a visit to the spa. A special thanks to Karen for a great massage. I had never stayed at an all adult resort and I was a little worried that it was going to be boring. It wasn't! Plus, since the Ambar location is part of the Gran Bahia Principee complex guests of the Ambar can take full advantage of the offerings of the other resorts (4 in total in the complex). The trolley system that transported guests to different areas was so cool! Finally, the service at the Ambar was great...guest services, reception, concierge, waiters, bartenders, etc...

I only have one area of improvement for the resort. The service when you arrive at the main entrance for the resort complex wasn't that great. I think due to the sheer volume of people arriving and departing more staff should have been available for assistance. After traveling hours from NYC I didn't feel very welcomed when I first arrived at the main entrance. However, the welcome and service, once I arrived at the Ambar was better.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
5 Thank morningqueen
Viancagraciano, customer service at Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar Blue Don Pablo Collection, responded to this review, 30 July 2014
Dear guest,

Posts such as yours delight us and gives us confidence to keep working hard to satisfy our customers and improve our services. It is wonderful to know that you enjoyed such an amazing girl’s trip with your friend, and you think made the right decision choosing our Resort.

I am already looking forward to welcoming you once again next time and continue creating memorable experiences for you at our Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, your best hotel in Punta Cana.

Bahia Principe Bavaro Resort

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,648)
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Georgia
Reviewed 28 July 2014

I am almost a year over due for this review. Sorry about that Ambar. I went with my husband and brother-in-law and his girlfriend. We checked in with no problems. It took maybe 10 minutes and while they were taking our luggage to the room, we went to the snack buffet to eat. They came to the buffet when we were done to show us to our rooms.
The rooms where extremely clean and beautiful. The beds were so comfortable with tons of pillows. Of course I had to try some of the pillows on the pillow menu. The bathrooms where spacious and two people could get ready at the same time without bumping into each other. The balcony had great views of the garden and pool with a hint of beach at the end.

The food was great at all the restaurants and the wait staff was so happy to see you and you never had to want for anything. The buffet had an amazing variety and the a-la-carts had plenty of choices. The food was amazingly presented and tasted divine. Most of the restaurants were in the adults only section but occasionally we had to venture into the family areas and it was much more chaotic over there.

The beach had plenty of seating and you didn't have to fight for a seat in the shade. I also loved that you were not towel rationed like most hotels. The other parts of the hotel for families was sectioned off and far enough away that if you didn't want to see any children, you didn't have to. the tram that took them to the beach, dropped them off behind the adults only section and they had their own section of chairs and beach access.

Everyone that worked there was so nice and smiled all the time. I never witnessed an employee not smiling. They seemed to truly enjoy working there. They made us feel like family.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank jerseygirl74
Viancagraciano, customer service at Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar Blue Don Pablo Collection, responded to this review, 29 July 2014
Dear Jersey,

Your fantastic experience is a true statement of the dedication of our staff to guarantee that you have all the necessary components for a memorable stay. I don´t know how to thank you for such wonderful compliments.

We are looking towards your next visit to your second family and thank you personally this wonderful comment.

Many hugs,

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 July 2014

We recently returned from a 10 day stay at the Ambar. Having stayed at Gran Bahia resorts twice previously in the Dominican, we were disappointed with some aspects of the Ambar.

We liked the adults only aspect, the pool, beach, grounds, food, beverages etc. Most of the staff were great but some of them could learn to smile, mainly reception and the pool snack bar staff. It would also be useful if information such as a map was supplied when you booked in rather than have to request one as the resort is quite big and it isn’t easy to find all the restaurants.

Our biggest disappointment was with the housekeeping. With previous visits to the Dominican, housekeeping create towel displays, in the Ambar we didn’t and we were lucky if we received towels. The mini bar, tea and coffee facilities were also not replenished on a regular basis, even after reporting it several times. It’s the small details that make a holiday and I hope the management will work with housekeeping to make the Ambar a special holiday destination to bring it in line with other Bahia resorts.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank 66James224
Dear James,

I sincerely apologize for the inconveniences and I feel sorry that being you a repeat customer you felt dissapointed with the treatment you have received.

Your comments about housekeeping have been transfer to the management and make the correct improvements.

Thank you very much for your comment and hope to welcome you again!!

norwich
Reviewed 28 July 2014 via mobile

Went here last year for two weeks the grounds are stunning and well maintained.
The rooms are huge and very clean.
Beach is very pretty for walks and sunsets but u will get bit by sand fleas.
The food was lovely the buffets were plentyful youd never go hungry here.
Lobster night m m m m and lamb from the bone melted in your mouth.
Some inconsistancies with a la carte, as in it would be very different every day but on the whole good.
The pools were nice until u got close and could see grime floating on the top and on one day someone had been sick.
Everyone we spoke to the second week seemed to have some degrea of illness from mild diarear to hospitalisation something wasnt right, hotel stopped serving water going back to bottles and all self service drinks stopped.
My friend had a ten day sick bug x

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank NorwichSam123
Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting a review of your recent stay and for acknowledging the lovely buffets, pretty beach and the clean and huge rooms.

We cannot conclude that our hotel is the causative of the illness you have mentioned. Please allow us to inform you that our hotel follows a very strict hygiene, quality and security program monitored by the international company Crystal.

Anyway we remain at your disposal for any question or assistance you may need.

Your holidays in Punta Cana with Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts.

Reviewed 27 July 2014 via mobile

Loved the resort. Staff was great, excellent customer service. Rooms are big and spacious, lighting needs improvement but good overall. No bugs. Clean and the grounds were kept in really good condition. Loved the adult only, very relaxing and peaceful. If you want to party you have the option of going down to the other resorts and Pueblo Principe; if you want a quiet and relaxing evening you can stay at the Ambar. Food was good, but make sure the meats are well cooked (if that's how you prefer them). Best Restaurant was Don Pablo, the manager is the best his name is Hector. Portofino was really good as well. Overall we had an amazing time and Will definitely go back!

• Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Arelis M
Dear Arelis,

Please allow us to reassure that we are extremely proud to learn that we exceeded your expectations and you loved the Hotel, which reflects the commitment and quality of service we have exhibited through the years.

It will be an honor to host you back again in Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, your best hotel in Punta Cana.

Receive cordial greetings,

Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 27 July 2014

This was our first trip to Punta Cana and we chose Gran Bahia based on other reviews. Upon our arrival we were guided to the Golden Club check in because we had paid the extra money for the "Golden Package"(which was not what I expected). Because the hotel was overbooked we were sent to the Ambar, which is a much better side of the resort, we got lucky on this. The room was nice and clean, it could have been a little more dated, also it has a musty smell that later went away.
As far as the food the buffet was average, the food was not warm, it looked old and it was the same menu everyday. If you are looking for a 5 start resort this definitely is not the one. The best restaurant in the place is Don Pablo, Hector the manager was awesome with accommodating us for dinner when there were no reservations left. Drinks are water down a bit but is all you can drink so I just kept going to the bar.
The pool at the Ambar was great, very relaxing. But if you decide for any reason to go to the Bavaro pool, please be warned! I had other family members staying on that side and we often when to their pool. Very disappointing with the entertainment. If you have children or teenage kids the shows are extremely inappropriate. I like to have fun and get wild here and there, but the shows were always about women with no self-respect, twerking in front of children and the entertainers in the resort cheer them to do so. They do not care if you have kids in the pool the shows go on. I don't think this part of the resort that is supposed to be for families is very family oriented when it comes to entertainment in the pool.

The only nigh club the had in the entire resort was so old inside and it was an OVEN! no air conditioning, it was like 100 degrees in there.

Lastly, the driver from Olympus tours that picked us up from the resort to the airport was apparently drunk or doing some sort of drugs. He was on the phone while driving and was driving crazy, he crashed into another bus while parking at the airport to drop us off and glass shattered all over my husband and my son, they were both cut and they had glass all over them, no one care or even asked if we were okay.

I'm not going back even if it's free.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
7 Thank Denise R
Dear Denise,

I greatly appreciate that you have chosen our Resort for your first experience in Punta Cana. Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay at our hotel and for giving us an opportunity to assess and evaluate our performance. I would like to offer my sincere apologies for the difficulties you have experienced and if you felt you did not received the service you deserved.

Please be assured that you are the most important for us and hope you can give us another opportunity.

Best regards,

Texarkana, Arkansas
Reviewed 27 July 2014

We spent a week at the Ambar, we were disappointed in the food, beverages and their lack of ice daily! Service was just average! The grounds were beautiful (very maintained) with beautiful palms & tropical plants. The distance to the beach was much further than what we prefer. Most frozen drinks were premixed and in slush (Icee) machines:-( We met and made some great friends while there. We travel to beach resorts because we love the beach and the ocean! One of the couples had money stolen within the first hour at the resort and management tried to sweep it under the rug. We have traveled to 5 star resorts and this by far is NOT one!!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
7 Thank DJ1012
Dear client,

I apologize for the inconveniences you have experienced. I´m really sorry for not being able to fulfill your expectations with our services and you felt disappointed with the food.

I sincerely offer my apologies and invite you once again to change the negative perception you have now.

Always at your disposal,

Hotel Riu Palace Macao
Hotel Riu Palace Macao
#38 of 110 in Punta Cana
Luxury Bahia Principe Bouganville Don Pablo Collection

Been to Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar Blue Don Pablo Collection? Share your experiences!