“Summer Holiday to relax and unwind”

Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar Blue Don Pablo Collection
Ranked #50 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
Taunton, England, United Kingdom
“Summer Holiday to relax and unwind”
Reviewed 2 August 2014 via mobile

I've been to 2 other resorts in Dom Rep, Dreams La Romana and Grand Marien in Puerto Plata. I would start by saying that they are all very similar. The weather here is no different and the beaches are all the same.

Great rooms, good food, beautiful beach- what more could you want?

Stayed August 2014
Viancagraciano, customer service at Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar Blue Don Pablo Collection, responded to this review, 5 August 2014
Dear guest,

Posts such as yours delight us and gives us confidence to keep working hard to satisfy our customers and improve our services.

Thank you for choosing Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, a 5 star experience in the Dominican Republic.

Bahia Principe Bavaro Resort

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,729)
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
new york
Reviewed 2 August 2014 via mobile

First day when we arrived, there wasn't much of service, the front desk gave our keys and told us to grab lunch till our room was ready. They didn't tell us where to go rather than point and didn't give us an idea of the grounds at the resort since it was big. The food was okay. After lunch we got our keys and again no explanation of events, facilities or anything which rubbed me the wrong way. We had to wait for 20 minutes for a trolley to take us to the Ambar hotel. The room definitely is not 5 star it was an okay room but we were right in front of the lobby which was fine but at night the music was loud due to the events. Our room mini bar was not stocked, tv didn't work and there was sewer smell from the shower. These were my only negatives but overall the buffet was good, waiters/waitresses were nice, restaurants were good as well. The beach was crowded but always found chairs and the beach did have a lot of seaweed but overall not that bad. I would stay here again if I came back.

Stayed August 2014
Viancagraciano, customer service at Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar Blue Don Pablo Collection, responded to this review, 2 August 2014
Dear Karen,

I would like to thank you for bringing to our attention your comments about your stay in our Hotel. It is through communications of this nature that our customers give us an opportunity to assess and evaluate our performance, as well as to ensure that we maintain and deliver the level of service expected from us. I want to offer an apology if you felt you did not received the service you deserve.

Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, a dream in the Caribbean.

We are always at your disposal,

Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed 1 August 2014

The property itself is quite beautiful. Nice beaches, pools, and the rooms are typical of what you see in Punta Cana, Mexico, Caribbean, etc. However, the service is very poor. Every time I would call "Guest Service" or "Room Service", the attendant didn't speak English and would transfer up to four times (yes, four!). One room service order, I asked for 2 waters, 2 natural yogurts, and a mixed salad. I received 0 waters, 2 orders of nachos?, 2 weird fruity yogurts, and a mixed salad that tasted like it sat in the sun for an hour. I will say the buffet is good and the restaurants are very tasty. Anyway, if you're expecting first-class, look elsewhere.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank Colin B
Dear Colin,

Thank you for highlighting the beauty of the property, nice pool and beach, and good buffet.
Please I sincerely ask you to apologize us because you felt you did not received the service you deserve and also for the language barrier.

It is my sincere hope to have the opportunity to welcome you again in the near future in any of our Resorts.

Greetings,

US
Reviewed 31 July 2014

It was our first time all-inclusive. We bought a package from Orbitz for 5-nights including transportation from VIP Travel Services. They dropped us off at Bavaro Resort's lobby and we had to take the troller to Ambar. They told us to meet VIP Travel Services POC next day to arrange for transportation back to the airport, but we did not since we knew that it'd a waste of our time. You can meet VIP Travel Services POC at Ambar lobby from 11AM-3PM the day before to confirm the pick-up time at Bavaro lobby to airport. On 2nd night, they called us and said there was a black envelope in our room and we should take that to the lobby to "claim" our price. We knew that it was related to the privilege club membership so we ignore that.
The ground is very nice and clean. The room was OK, not that luxury. There was a moldy smell the first 2 days and "sewage" smell (??) from the shower stall, but sometime I can also smell that outside as well. I have experienced this "moldy" smell in most of hotels in Carribean. The first night we were there, the safe was not working. They send somebody to change the battery, and gave the wrong instruction to close/open the safe. Next day, another person came and gave the right instruction. The high light of this hotel is their service and their food choices. Don Pablo was full-service dinner. The food was just OK though. Portofino and El Olivio were not that great. You ordered entree and do buffet for appetizer and dessert. Food was served on plate that was not hot enough. Music was bad selection and was too loud. We though that buffet was much better: the food was hot, so many choices and the presentation was great. 2 nights we did buffet and lobster was served. There are 2 beach restaurants and we think food was better at the one closed to El Olivio. The beach was very nice, with the exception of too much seaweed, but it's everywhere, not just Ambar's beach. People was swimming and throwing the seaweed away from them, lol. Because of that, I don't think I want to go back to Punta Cana. However, I would consider staying at this hotel chain again.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank tripAdvTraveler
Viancagraciano, customer service at Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar Blue Don Pablo Collection, responded to this review, 1 August 2014
Dear Client,

I really appreciate that you have chosen our Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar for you first time in all-inclusive. I apologize for the inconveniences you experienced with the smell at the room.

We are pleased to know that you enjoyed the Don Pablo restaurant and the full service.

Welcome to our chain Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts.

Thank you for your comments and we are looking forward to welcome you once again!

Cordial greetings,

Eldridge, Iowa
Reviewed 31 July 2014

We spent June 30 - July 5, 2014 at the Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar and had a wonderful time. The service from our butler, Roberto, was exceptional. He was very attentive to us, and made sure we had everything we needed for our stay. He even pushed me in a wheelchair to the resort doctor (who was also very attentive) when I injured my knee, and then continually checked on my well being during the rest of the trip. My wife and I would come back just for the service Roberto provided!

Our room was very clean, and the accommodations we enjoyed greatly. We had several problems with our room from the air conditioning not cooling enough to the batteries in our safe dying out; however whenever we called with an issue, someone was sent to resolve it immediately. The maintenance service was excellent!

The food at the resort was pretty decent, but we found the buffets to be average at best. There was one particular server at the main buffet restaurant whose name was Juan, who was wonderful at making sure we were well fed and always brought us a morning mimosa! The Italian and Mexican restaurants were our favorites.

The beach was clean and the service on the beach was quite good considering the number of people who were there. We didn't spend a lot of time at the pools because the beach was so beautiful, but found them clean and the swim up bars provided good service.

Please know this is a very big resort, but the Ambar is for 18+ only and seemed so much more intimate and quiet. We were able catch shuttles quite easily, but also found the walk to other areas of the resort to be an easy stroll.

We loved the DR and if we return will definitely stay at the Bahia Principe Ambar.

Room Tip: Ask for a corner suite on third floor. They are bigger, quieter and give a better view.
3 Thank Jeff A
Dear Jeff,

I would like to thank you for your beautiful review and for acknowledging our butler Roberto, who was amazing with you and you are so grateful with his service. Also, we want to affirm you that we are happy to see that you enjoyed a relaxing vacation and you love my beautiful country

Thank you for your comments and will be a pleasure for us to have the honor to serve you when you come back!!!!

Hugs for you,

Cobourg, Canada
Reviewed 31 July 2014

My husband and I celebrated our 3rd Wedding Anniversary/Honeymoon there July 4-18. We had saved up for a few years to go to a 5 star adult only hotel because we were not able to take a honeymoon due to my husband having cancer. Check in was long and after being sent to our 1st room we noticed the air conditioning was not working. After them sending a maintenance person to our room and him spending 45 minutes looking up at the ceiling my husband went down to the lobby to demand another room. We were moved to that room .. which was not that cold but it was cooler than the 1st room. We stayed in that room for 4 days and then told Charleston our Air Transat rep we were not happy so he got us moved into a room that was much cooler. He was an amazing rep. Room service was crappy, when we did order we would get the wrong order about 90% of the time. The mini bar was not cold or stocked daily and our room was cleaning most days after 4pm which was a pain. We complained over and over again to the front desk staff, Guest Services women and nothing was done about it. The fact that the Adult section of the beach is divided by a small pathway by the BBQ restaurant (that is open to all of the other resorts) is a bit misleading. i thought we were going to an adult only resort but there were kids everywhere except the Pool, Villas, and the restaurants. The pool entertainment at the hotel was awful. Darts, Zumba, Bahia dance done by the pool everyday by the same 3 staff members. There is NO nightly entertainment at the hotel as far as shows. in the lobby there is something until 11:30 pm every night and then it's fans off, lights out. We felt like we were being told to go to bed. if you wanted to see a show or go somewhere for more entertainment then you had to wait at a bus stop for a tram to take you to another resort. When people pay a premium the this so called 5 star hotel you would expect these trams to be available outside the lobby for the Adult Only guests. Thank goodness we met some wonderful people that made our trip pleasurable. Going to a 5 star resort and paying the money we did i certainly didn't expect to have to go searching for my own towels, toilet paper, soaps or water and pop everyday at the maids room at end of the villas. After complaining for a week i had finally had it and the night before we left I told the assistant manager that 2 stars needed to be removed from behind the front desk, there is no way this is a 5 star hotel. He told me that it was the first time he was hearing my complaints so I pointed out in the lobby to each person I had complained to and told him that in my job when a complaint is made I FIX IT and if I can't then I find someone who can. I told him that the hotel is saving money by not stocking the mini bars daily.. something that guests have paid for. The food was the same at each buffet had the same food and desserts. The Dom Pablo restaurant wasn't all that it was cracked up to be for my husband and I. When you first get to the resort you are advised to book your restaurants on and off the resort. We did and we received print outs of the restaurants, dates and times. They will tell you if the men have to wear long pants or not and on the Bella Itallia and El Portifino they said long pants and when we arrived men were in shorts and sandals. The grounds are very well maintained and the grounds staff, restaurant staff work their butts off. They don't get very much credit from the 3 shirt, tie and suit men that seem to be walking around. The front desk staff are not the friendliest, nor are 2 of the Guest Services women.

IF YOU ARE LOOKING FOR A 5 STAR QUALITY RESORT .. THIS IS NOT THE PLACE FOR YOU. FUNNY HOW I AM NOT ALONE IN MY COMPLAINTS FROM JULY 2014. We spoke with a couple on our plane and this was their 2nd time here and they too said it was a let down this time. They said the service was awful and it was. i would not return to any Bahia resort for this reason.

Pretty sad because we had been waiting for this holiday for 3 years only to have been disappointed and felt let down.

Room Tip: Just don't go here at all.
8 Thank Deborah X
Viancagraciano, customer service at Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar Blue Don Pablo Collection, responded to this review, 31 July 2014
Dear Deborah,

I sincerely regret the inconvenience you have experienced and for not being happy during your anniversary celebration. On behalf of all our staff we ask our sincere apologies if you felt you did not received the service you received. I feel so sorry to hear that our service has not reach your expectations in this trip.

I hope to have another opportunity and honor us with your visit in order to change the negative perception about our services and staff.

Yours sincerely,

Quebec City, Canada
Reviewed 30 July 2014

We stayed at the Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar the week of June 24th to July 1st, 2014. Our initial welcome at checkin was incredible. Anyela was warm and greeted us as if we were family, which included a welcome drink. I had sent my room preference via email and not only was it granted, we felt we had been given the best room at the Ambar – room 67301 that has a superb balcony with an amazing view of the pool and is very close to the beach. This was a very nice surprise for us as we took this trip to celebrate our anniversary. The room was very spacious and comfortable. There is a Jacuzzi style tub in the bathroom in addition to a large walk-in shower. The mini bar was restocked daily with a variety of drinks and lots of bottled water. There was even a bag of chips – which was a great for snacking in the late afternoon (Note to management: it would be great to have 1 bag of chips per person, so as not to have to share the 1 bag :-)).
The room was very well cleaned every day and the maid left us beautiful towel art on 2 occasions. One was truly amazing; it was a lady lying down complete with a face. Thank-you for these little attentions, they made our trip so much more special. Every night, we even had turn down service with chocolates left on our pillows. Truly luxurious service!
I had also sent an email in advance to reserve our à la carte restaurants 1 week in advance – the majority of my reservations were granted and the slips were given to me when I checked in. The reason for this is that some of the restaurants were not opened on the night I requested them. I finalized the rest of my reservations the next morning at Guest Services, which can be found in the lobby. The representative was helpful and my reservations were quickly completed.
Our favorite restaurant was El Ovilo, our 2nd Don Pablo Gourmet. My boyfriend enjoyed Bella Italia but I did not like what I had ordered – the seafood pasta – the sauce was not tomato based but rather brownish seafood broth. We did not like El Pescador. The à la carte restaurants have beautiful décor and most have a mini buffet where you can choose your own entrées which is a nice touch.
We ate at Ambar’s main buffet the rest of the nights, as well as breakfast, and we both adored the food. It is not a huge buffet, but there are still some freshly made stations where they prepare foods fresh on demand. Other stations have little individual dishes, as well as the cold & hot stations, salad bar, bread station & a magnificent dessert station. The management staff which patrol the main buffet at breafast and supper have to relax a bit & smile more. They seem controlling and stress the serving staff. We want to staff to be friendly with us even though it is a 5 star hotel - we don't want a fussy 5 star hotel staff rather a friendly one.
For lunch, we ate at the beach buffet with its outdoor tables. We enjoyed this buffet very much. Lots of choices, including a BBQ section, a Mexican station, where you could make yourself fajitas, burritos & nachos and a freshly made station which changed its menu daily. The servers at the lunch beach restaurant were very friendly. We love it when the staff is fun and friendly, we try to talk with them but our Spanish isn't very good.

Room Tip: 67301 is hands down the best room
3 Thank BR097
Dear Guest,

I greatly appreciate that you have chosen our Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar as your anniversary destination. Our impeccable staff and our wonderful housekeeping team, will be delighted to know that they make your holiday excellent with their beautiful details.

Don´t worry if you don´t know spanish, I will teach you when you return.

It will be a pleasure to cater you once again in the most relaxing environment, which means our Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar.

Regards from Punta Cana,

Luxury Bahia Principe Esmeralda Don Pablo Collection
Hotel Riu Palace Macao
Hotel Riu Palace Macao
#44 of 112 in Punta Cana

Been to Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar Blue Don Pablo Collection? Share your experiences!