First to be fair this is the first all inclusive resort that I have been to. This was not my first trip to the Caribbean though. We were originally scheduled to go to another hotel within the resort property the Bavaro. We got there and were told it was completely full and we were then sent to the Esmeralda where they told us they were also all full. We needed to go to the Ambar. Yeah! we thought it was adults only and closer to the beach. We are all moms and had left the kids at home so that was a plus. Before I went I read all the reviews because I had never been to the Dominican or an all inclusive.
Here are some suggestions that I think will be helpful;
1) take a flashlight, a small one will do (the electric went out twice through the entire resort as we were trying to repack. There were only out for a few minutes, but it was nice to have light. Also the safe is in the middle of the shelf in the back of the closet so you can not see in there)
2) where a waterproof watch, it is inconvenient to figure out what time it is there since you most likely are not carrying a cell phone and there are not many clocks around- who cares what time it is on vacation- the person that has a dinner reservation does or the person that wants to catch a show.
3)take a cup, we took double insulated screw on top see through cups with us, like Tervis this helped we could take less trips to the bar and always knew which drink was ours. People kept asking where did we get these cups- we could have sold them.
4)take aloe or something for after sun care- you will get burned. One of us slathered in 100 proof sunscreen and hung out in shade and still got burned. A small bottle of aloe there is like 25 dollars.
5)take 1's and 5's for tips and bargaining.
6)learn a little spanish like "one more", "where's the bathroom", "thats to expensive"
7)2 out of 4 of us got sick we all ate and drank the same things. So take Pepto to be safe.
8) when you go into a restroom first locate the sensor to turn the lights on as soon as you sit down or are indisposed the lights will shut off they are on a timer. This way you know where to wave your hand in the pitch black.
Food on the buffet it is great the first day and then you see it again and again and again, and then you are not as thrilled. Also nothing is really hot and nothing is really cold. What I mean is I like to eat hot food hot and it was more like warm. Also cold food was almost warm.
Most people we talked to did not go off the resort for excursions, we did not either since we only had a short time.
All and all we had a great time 4 days was enough without any excursions. The beach there was great the sand was fine and felt like baby powder under your feet.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Facilities and services 2 pool Sun terrace with sun umbrellas and loungers Relaxation zone with Bali beds Outdoor Jacuzzi BAHIA SPA (additional charge) Sports facilities: gym, 3 tennis courts, multi-sports court Water activity centre Motorised water sports (additionalcharge) WiFi access in the lobby (free) and in rooms (free) Entertainment amphitheatre Wedding gazebo 1 buffetrestaurant 3 speciality restaurants 4 bars 1 snack- bar Gazebo de bodas Smokers' lounge with bar service (cigar menu with additional charge) Punta Blanca Golf Club: 18 hole Punta Blanca Golf Club, designed by Nick Price (additional charge) Pueblo Principe: Shopping and Leisure Mall with local craft stores, live music, shows, stores, bars, karaoke, disco and casino. Rooms 528 Deluxe Junior Suites Room facilities: King size bed or two full size beds Ceiling fan Air conditioning Sitting area with sofa Terrace Fully-equipped bathroom with hydromassage bath tub and separate shower, hair dryer Bathrobe and slippers Don Pablo Collection amenities Direct phone line (additional charge for external calls) Alarm clock with iPod docking station Flat screen TV Coffee-making machine Minibar Safe Butler service 24 hour room service Evening turndown service Pillow menu 2 disabled rooms for a maximum of 3 adults Prime location right on the sea front Exclusive lake-style pool Aroma menu WiFi (free) Other services Medical service (additional charge) Pharmacy (additional charge) Specialised service for organising weddings, incentive trips, events and anniversaries Personalised menus (for celiacs, diabetics, etc.) Available on request ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Ebookers, Hotels.com, Traveltool, S.L.U., Booking.com, Hotelopia, Odigeo, TripOnline SA, Priceline, Agoda, Travel Republic (UK), Cancelon, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar Blue Don Pablo Collection reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Gran Bahia Principe Ambar Hotel Punta Cana