“4 Day Trip with 4 Friends”

Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar Blue Don Pablo Collection
Ranked #49 of 111 Hotels in Punta Cana
Honey Brook, Pennsylvania
“4 Day Trip with 4 Friends”
Reviewed 20 August 2014

First to be fair this is the first all inclusive resort that I have been to. This was not my first trip to the Caribbean though. We were originally scheduled to go to another hotel within the resort property the Bavaro. We got there and were told it was completely full and we were then sent to the Esmeralda where they told us they were also all full. We needed to go to the Ambar. Yeah! we thought it was adults only and closer to the beach. We are all moms and had left the kids at home so that was a plus. Before I went I read all the reviews because I had never been to the Dominican or an all inclusive.
Here are some suggestions that I think will be helpful;
1) take a flashlight, a small one will do (the electric went out twice through the entire resort as we were trying to repack. There were only out for a few minutes, but it was nice to have light. Also the safe is in the middle of the shelf in the back of the closet so you can not see in there)
2) where a waterproof watch, it is inconvenient to figure out what time it is there since you most likely are not carrying a cell phone and there are not many clocks around- who cares what time it is on vacation- the person that has a dinner reservation does or the person that wants to catch a show.
3)take a cup, we took double insulated screw on top see through cups with us, like Tervis this helped we could take less trips to the bar and always knew which drink was ours. People kept asking where did we get these cups- we could have sold them.
4)take aloe or something for after sun care- you will get burned. One of us slathered in 100 proof sunscreen and hung out in shade and still got burned. A small bottle of aloe there is like 25 dollars.
5)take 1's and 5's for tips and bargaining.
6)learn a little spanish like "one more", "where's the bathroom", "thats to expensive"
7)2 out of 4 of us got sick we all ate and drank the same things. So take Pepto to be safe.
8) when you go into a restroom first locate the sensor to turn the lights on as soon as you sit down or are indisposed the lights will shut off they are on a timer. This way you know where to wave your hand in the pitch black.

Food on the buffet it is great the first day and then you see it again and again and again, and then you are not as thrilled. Also nothing is really hot and nothing is really cold. What I mean is I like to eat hot food hot and it was more like warm. Also cold food was almost warm.
Most people we talked to did not go off the resort for excursions, we did not either since we only had a short time.

All and all we had a great time 4 days was enough without any excursions. The beach there was great the sand was fine and felt like baby powder under your feet.

Room Tip: ground floor no elevators
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank Tracy O
Viancagraciano, customer service at Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar Blue Don Pablo Collection, responded to this review, 21 August 2014
Dear Tracy,

We feel happy to learn that in your first all-inclusive experience you enjoyed a great time and to read that you were impressed and happy with the change of staying at our adult’s only Hotel. Also, it is gratifying to know that you had a great time with your 4 friends and, of course, I´m very grateful that you take the time to give some recommendations to other reviewers before coming to this paradise.

Looking forward to seeing you with your whole family at this property!!!

Always at your disposal,

Bahia Principe Bavaro Resort

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,698)
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 20 August 2014 via mobile

Had an excellent vacation at the Ambar!

Food was great! Buffet gets repetitive. After the second day we just ate breakfast at the buffet, (the omelet bar is fantastic) had lunch at the beach snack bar or room service and made reservations for suppers. Beach BBQ was good, buffet style. Italian was ok. don Pablo was good. But the Japanese was fantastic, great atmosphere great chef this was my husband favorite. My favorite was the garden grill steak house. Absolutely delish! All waiters were great friendly and attentive!

Rooms were comfortable and well air conditioned. We stayed in villa 68 corner room. 2nd floor. Would haver preferred top floor. Housekeeping cleaned our room every day. Always fresh towels. Fresh flowers and fruit. Chocolates and more fresh towels every night! (Tip them well!)

The grounds are Absolutely amazing a lot hard work by the gardeners!!

The beach is beautiful! A lot more seaweed then I expected but still beautiful! No trouble to get a hut! Not too many people selling stuff. If you just politely tell them no thanks they go on their way. Bartenders are also great at the beach!

Pool was nice a bit too warm for our liking. We spent most or our time at the beach. But the bartenders are great! Was a good atmosphere to meet other couples!

Done 2 excursions. Both were fun. However leaving the resort was unnerving for me. Not use to the crazy driving, seeing guards with guns in the street also not a Canadian thing to see. But we made it safe and sound!

The main lobby is Hot! But free wifi and excellent staff make it worth visiting!

Overall if you are looking for a beautiful clean resort with a relaxing atmosphere This is a place to consider! It is a large resort and has something for everyone!

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Ashley K
Dear Ashley,

First of all thank you for choosing our fantastic Resort for your holiday destination in Punta Cana. We feel proud to read that you enjoyed our comfortable rooms, amazing grounds, beautiful beach and fantastic staff.

Thank you for recommending us for anyone who wants to be in a relaxing atmosphere and rest.

We hope to cater you once again in this tropical paradise!

Kind regards,

Laval, Canada
Reviewed 20 August 2014

This hotel is very Excellente. We receive everything than we need. We want to salute Jensky the best server on the beach. He is incredible,always happy and so proffessional. We enjoyed
those two weeks. The staff is the best. We want to salute the excellent service room staff Altagracia and the dinning room service Orchidea there the best. Franklin on the beach what the godd service . we will come back this winter. I hope you will enjoy your vacation like us. We went there the 1 august until the 14e

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank minogh
Viancagraciano, customer service at Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar Blue Don Pablo Collection, responded to this review, 20 August 2014
Dear Minogh,

We are very pleased to read that you enjoyed 2 weeks in this paradise thanks to our incredible and professional staff, who is the best. At Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts our goal is to make your vacation become an unforgettable experience.

All-inclusive luxury hotels in Punta Cana with Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts.

Kindest regards,

Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed 19 August 2014

This resort was beautiful! ...The only downfall of my trip was the grossed out shower. I asked for a different room and the shower was just as bad. Me and my husband just showered in the jacuzzi tub which had a shower head attached.

The location of this hotel is amazing. It was right next to this beautiful pool with an all inclusive bar in the middle and after the pool was the beach.
I liked that the Ambar hotel is adults only!

The customer service was just spectacular! Everyone was so friendly and helpful.

I was very surprised that the all inclusive food was soooo delicious! And I didn't expect it to be an upscale atmosphere. The waiters were great! My fav was Rudy! We went to him every lunch and dinner.

Overall I would not recommend the Ambar hotel. I would recommend the resort but the Esmeralda Hotel was better!! We was convince to listen to a vacation package promo they was selling and they took us to the Esmeralda to show us what the rooms look like and the bathroom was clean and no mildew.

• Stayed July 2014
2 Thank AleciaEd
Dear Alecia,

Your recent review motivate us even more to continue providing our valuable guests the most amazing experiences with a delicious food and excellent service. Our hard working team will feel proud to hear that their effort and friendliness is so well appreciated.

I would be absolutely pleased to have the opportunity to welcome you once again, next time in one of the sister´s hotel.

Enjoy an all-inclusive holiday with Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts.

Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 18 August 2014

Stayed at the hotel for a little less than a week with some friends. I thought the resort was great!
This is the very quiet hotel of the resort. The age range is older, and/or many couples. For a group of friends, wee enjoyed the stay here, but visited the other hotels for more action. I thought it was the best of both worlds, honestly.

Food: Good. The buffet was good. We ate mostly there. We also ate at Don Pablo, which was good but not as excellent as I thought it would have been. Nobody in our party got sick or anything while we were there. We brushed our teeth with bottled water, and did not ingest any tap water. The water they serve on the resort, and the ice on the resort are safe to consume. All of the restaurants we attended were all air-conditioned.
Cleanliness: Good rating. The staff do work extra hard to maintain the grounds, beach, and pool. Front desk was also very pleasant! Room service cleaned our room daily and re-stocked the mini bars & towels. No problems.
Staff: Very nice. BEST part of the vacation. Everyone was nice, professional, and hard working. Please tip them, as they earn every cent. Waiters were AWESOME, the best. Be polite, and a little patient, and you'll get the same treatment. Try to speak the language if you know some Spanish. They'll appreciate it.
Room: I got a room on the 3rd floor. I recommend the higher level rooms also, closer to the pool/beach. The air was adequate. It is HOT in the DR, and sometimes it did seem cooler in the room than other times. Open the closet door. There's a vent in there that will help give additional air. You can tell they're trying to conserve energy, I'll say that. I thought the bed was confortable, I slept well.
Lobby: The lobby will be hot, yes, but not much you can do about it. The free wifi in the lobby was enough for me to keep in touch with family daily. No issues there.
Pool: Awesome. Not much activity, very quiet. If you want more excitement, walk along the beach 2 pools down. It's like another world. More entertainment since there's a younger crowd and families. The Swim- up bar is nice.
Bars: drinks at the bars do appear to be watered down, as mentioned in other reviews. I bought a bottle of my own at the duty free shop, and added it to my cup, as needed :). Also, bring a insulated mug, as suggested by others, so that you can have enough to sip on.
Beach: Clean, but MUCH seaweed, but I expected it based on the other reviews. Quiet also. No issue getting a spot to sit. If you want more excitement, again, walk down the beach, and you'll be good. More cloudy than I thought in the DR, but when the sun comes it's hot! I wore sun block and still got slightly burned.
Airport: Taxi was $40 one way, and $50 going back. Airport is hot, no air conditioning. Duty free shops are available both coming and going. I paid the $10 tourist tax upon arrival but I didn't pay any $20 departure tax to enter back into the USA. I don't know what that was about.
General: Be prepared for peddlers on the beach and at the pueblo (located in another hotel on the property). It can get tiresome saying "no." if you're an attractive, single woman, be prepared for LOTS of attention and advances from the men. Must be a cultural thing.
Excursions: some friends went on an excusion they bought from someone selling them at the pool. They enjoyed it. Keep in mind the DR is 3rd world. What you see off the resort is VERY different than what you'll see at the resort.

Overall, it was a great trip, the people are nice, the staff is EXCELLENT, and we had a great time. I would recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: We chose a room closer to the beach/pool, on the third floor, and enjoyed it! Please note the pool i...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
7 Thank NicoleW726
Viancagraciano, customer service at Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar Blue Don Pablo Collection, responded to this review, 19 August 2014
Dear Nicole,

It is a pleasure to our Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar family knowing that we have provided you a memorable vacation and a great stay.

Our fabulous staff will be delighted and motivated with your acknowledgments, which gives us confidence to keep working hard to satisfy our customers and improve our services. I want to thank you for your review and highlighting all the good points you have mentioned.

Looking forward to seeing you soon at Punta Cana, Dominican Republic!

Warm Greetings,

Reviewed 18 August 2014 via mobile

Been at the Ambar for the 4th time and ounce again we had a wonderful experience.The staff was very accomodating and went out of their way to our stay enjoyable .
Special thanks to Hector (Lula) and his team.You guys were great.
Also thanks to Leonardo Astacio (hotel director ) for helping us with all our requests.
We definitely go back next year.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank Lfontan
Viancagraciano, customer service at Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar Blue Don Pablo Collection, responded to this review, 18 August 2014
Dear Lfontan,

We greatly appreciate that you have chosen for 4th time our Resort as your holiday destination. As a repeater client your opinion is very important to us. It is rewarding to know that all our team working were out of their way to made your stay much better and enjoyable.

We are already waiting for you!!

Regards from Punta Cana!

Lower Burrell, Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed 17 August 2014

The vacation was unbelievable. We had so much fun! The weather was perfect, the grounds beach and pool were beautiful. The food was delicious! Most important was the staff ..... I cannot begin to thank the wonderful caring friendly staff! We made friends and hated leaving them. They worked very hard and never complain! They were always positive and happy. Smiles and a hello at every turn. I'll mention our favorites, Emmanuel Pena ....... Very helpful , friendly and compassionate. He is excellent at his job. Steffani and Juckson animation and entertainment. We enjoyed talking with them and all the activities they had prepared. They were friendly , happy and kind. Excellent!! The bar staff at the pool Marlene and Bianca, they were so sweet and took care of us. They work very hard and so wonderful. The heat is intense and they never complain always smiling and a pleasant word. The last two I must mention are Jose the pool aerobic instructor and Francisco the man handing out towels. The are both hard working friendly and knowledgable. We spent a week with these wonderful people and got to know them each personally. I can't begin to express to the management how fabulous they all were...... They have a tremendous staff and are blessed to have them at this beautiful resort. They made are stay a lasting memory and I want to thank them all! I will miss you all and wish you all the best in all your endeavors!!

Lori, Randy, Maria and (big guy) Jim

Room Tip: We were near the pool and beach the other rooms are near the main lobby . Not one is a bad room!
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Lori E
Dear Lori,

It is a pleasure to read that your entire group loved their unbelievable vacation. Thank you for mentioning our friendly and helpful team, is wonderful to hear that they are the best you´ve seen and of course our entire team working is pleasing to know that we are the best resort you´ve been.

Thanks for your good wishes for all of us, we also wish you many blessings!!

A warm greeting for you and Randy, Maria and Jim.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Punta Cana
Luxury Bahia Principe Bouganville Don Pablo Collection
Hotel Riu Palace Macao
Hotel Riu Palace Macao
#45 of 111 in Punta Cana

Been to Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar Blue Don Pablo Collection? Share your experiences!