“Fantastic Vacation - as always - with Bahia Principe!”

Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar Blue Don Pablo Collection
Ranked #51 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
Reviewed 26 August 2014

My husband and I enjoyed another fantastic vacation, celebrating our anniversary at Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar. From the staff, to the food, to accommodations and attention to detail, BP knows how to ensure their guests feel like they're in paradise. A special mention to Dulce at reception who made every effort to recognize us as repeat clients - thank you!

For those contemplating this resort: keep in mind that while you are staying at the Ambar section, you have access to a multitude of activities and restaurants that are spread across a very large property (4 sections/hotels in total.) The tram will take you where you need to go; but I suggest walking around to appreciate the beauty around the resort. You'll be welcomed at every lobby where coffee, drinks, music and great ambiance can be found.

Accommodation: always impeccably clean, and no matter which direction you face, the balcony or terrace is a great, quiet getaway with lush tropical surroundings. The rooms are spacious and always stocked with fresh linens and amenities, including a variety of beverages and snacks in the minibar. Nightly turn-down and pillow menu services make you feel just that much more special, and very welcoming at the end of a long, hot day. And the pillow chocolates are always a nice treat! The staff are always responsive and accommodating. For example: sleep is a very personal matter, and while I like a firm mattress, I found ours to be a bit too firm. So at the risk of sounding like Goldilocks, I asked if there was anything they could do, and the staff promptly added a topper which made sleeping much more comfortable. When we requested down pillows from the menu, I was surprised (albeit pleasantly) that the staff returned the next day to replace them - apparently they fluff them up daily and refresh them to ensure proper sleep posture. That's attention to detail!

Food: fantastic variety, including meats, fish, veggies, fruits and sweets. With made-to-order food stations, as well as fresh, frequently replenished ready-made foods, you can't go wrong at either the buffets or the a-la-carte restaurants. The chefs make every effort to prepare that perfect meal for you, and if it's not on the menu, they'll go the distance to try to accommodate your requests/needs.

Pools/Beach: beautiful! I'm a sand & salt water kind of gal, but while I didn't take a dip in the pool, I recognized that they're always clean (regular monitoring and daily cleaning regimen.) Can't say enough about the beach area - love it! Some might say there was a lot of seaweed - indeed there was - but that's Mother Nature for ya! Yet maintenance staff are up very bright and early piling up and cleaning the seaweed from the shore (until the next tide brings a little more... such is...) But don't worry - you're not swimming in seaweed - you can still see the bottom of the ocean (along with some beautiful fish), and there are 'weed free days' :)

In general, a great resort! I highly recommend it and definitely plan to return!

Room Tip: Great rooms throughout the Ambar section. We've stayed on the 3rd floor in buildings 66 and 68...
11  Thank BeachGalToronto
Viancagraciano, customer service at Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar Blue Don Pablo Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 28 August 2014

Dear client,

As repeater clients your opinion is very important to us and make us feel proud of our job. That is the magic that makes our dear customers choose for their holiday destination one of our Bahia Principe Clubs & Resorts.

Thank you for recognizing the hardworking of our staff, who will be delighted to know that with their attentiveness made you a fantastic vacation.

Thank you for choosing us once again, this time to celebrate your anniversary with your husband.

Best Regards from my beautiful country “Dominican Republic”.

Bahia Principe Bavaro Resort

Write a ReviewReviews (10,569)

Reviewed 26 August 2014

My husband and I traveled to Punta Cana for the first time and stayed at this resort. We researched many all inclusive/ adult only resorts prior to deciding on this resort. We have stayed before at AI resorts and had expectations to be met. Let me first say that the resort is beautiful, well maintained and manicured! The staff works hard in keeping grounds clean and resort clean.
We arrived in main lobby and was greeted with a cocktail which I had to ask for one. The group that came in with us was given a cocktail but we were left out. It wasn't a problem because they brought one out for us but I shouldn't have had to ask for it. Check in went smooth. I requested a week prior my room choice and reservations to al carte restaurants and they honored requests that I had made. Our travel agent had let the resort know that it was our anniversary while we were there and we arrived to our room with nothing on our door or nothing in our room, I had read on TA that doors were decorated with banners, rooms and goodies left. I called to let the front desk know and they came and decorated and brought goodies. Again, I had to inform staff of this!
The room was large. Requested corner room and it is worth it! We stayed in room 64117 in building 64 which is close to pool and beach. One thing that disappointed us was we had no view of ocean at all:( this is in my opinion a big let down). Our maid spoke no English and it was very hard to communicate with her. I asked her to leave extra washcloths and she could never understand! I finally gave up and just tried to show her what we needed in the room. I have never been in a resort when you had to call every time you needed ice!! The maid never left any so therefore we needed to call room service for ice! I never received pillow menu and asked for it numerous times!

The beach was beautiful!! Although, lots of seaweed due to a storm the week before. Always had a hard time finding chairs on the beach. If you want a good spot you need to get about around 7-8:00 am and claim your spot. We hardly ever got chairs at the adult pool. I am on vacation and I don't feel like I need to get up at 7:00 am to reserve a chair. This is something the management needs to address. Chair Hogs come out early and place towels on chairs and then sometimes don't even show up!

Food was ok. My husband didn't care for buffet but it was good to me. The al carte restaurants were ok not what I thought they should be considering you need ahead of time reservations.

It was so hot when we arrived. I would never go back in the month of August! The humidity was awful and there is not many places to go to be in air condition, lobby, bars, shows all outside! The Ambar really closes down early at night. We often wondered why they close after all you are in a all adult resort. No place to get a cocktail or entertainment after 11:00 p.m.
I have read on TA that the service was so good thanks to Butlers. I never saw one. I called the front desk to request butler service but no one ever came. I just didn't pursue it anymore.

Internet service was awful!!! We purchased the week package for $49.00 and had such a hard time using it. You could only have one device on it. You couldn't have your iPhone or iPad at the same time. You would need to log off and log back on and then it would drop service. I would not pay for it again! We did you Viber and Text Me app on iPhone which we could call family.

I would return to the Bahia Ambar Resort again but it wouldn't be a choice that I would make if I wanted to visit the DR again. I wanted to write a review on my experiences because I really think it is a great tool to use on Trip Advisor in planning a vacation trip. Please feel free to ask me any questions you may have and I will be happy to answer.

3  Thank Trish B
Viancagraciano, customer service at Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar Blue Don Pablo Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2014

Dear Trish,

We are really sorry for not being able to fulfill your expectations with our services during your first trip to our Resort in Dominican Republic. It is good to know that we could accommodate your room and dinner´s requests before your arrival but please let me inform you that we do not have ocean view rooms in our Hotel, what we have are rooms near the beach.

I apologize for some services you did not like and because you found you did not received the service you deserve.

I would like to cater you once again to experience the hospitality of our people, the quality of our services and facilities, and be able to change any negative perception.

Always at your disposal,

Reviewed 26 August 2014

These were the vacations of our lives for me and my husband. The amber part is a perfect place for those who enjoy spending their time completely relaxing in each other’s company, as well as for those looking to meet new friendly people. The location of the beach itself, the personnel, the tidiness of the entire resort, together with the food – was fantastic! Both restaurants, the one in the lobby and the one by the beach, served cuisine of which the quality could be easily compared to the ‘a’la carte’ restaurants. The food was excuisite and the staff was extremely polite! The people managing the resort deserve a great praise because everything was taken care of extremely well. The animators’ attempted to provide their guests with maximum fun – and succeeded! Especially Jose, he stole my heart with his yoga, pilates, tai-chi and zumba classes. It’s a place to come back to… time after time. My husband and I will definitely do that! Izabella and Pawel from Poland

5  Thank Izabella A

Dear Izabella and Pawel,

We are very pleased to read you enjoyed the vacations of your dreams at our Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar.

Thank you for highlighting the quality and extremely well staff and management, thank you for your praises to them.

Thank you for recommending us as a perfect place to spend a relaxing time.

Warm greetings from Punta Cana!

Reviewed 25 August 2014

We are very excited to be planning our fourth trip to Ambar in october. The Rooms are spacious,clean,and comfortable close to the beach and main building. The housekeeping staff are excellent and in the evening you can find your room freshened up for the night and if you choose from the pillow menu they are there at night for you when you get back from dinner.We go in october when it is a little quieter and have twice found that rooms in the resort are being worked on for the next busy season fresh paint etc.We stayed in building 65 twice and will request it this time ,great location.The grounds are beautifully maintained and make for an enjoyable walk.
The beach is the best we have been to and while the pool is very nice we love the sand and ocean and there are no children so it is generally very quiet and relaxing and again well maintained and clean,year over year we see improvement in the beach service and last year was the best. The beach restaurant is great but we prefer the main buffet for lunch to cool down and of course more selection.Plus a little walking is nice mid-day.
Food ..we love the food, there is lots of selection and always something new to try, when they have calamari it is amazing,I love all foods but have quite a few diet restrictions and never have a shortage of choice at the buffet or the restaurants. Don Pablo is our favorite and were able to go twice last year. The service is wonderful both in the buffet and the a la cartes.
There is always something to do at the resort if you want; we go to every show at the main building, and sometimes go for a walk but this is our week to just relax and read on the beach. We went on the tour of the Dominican town and thoroughly enjoyed it and the people we met.We went to a farm , a school ( take candy) a family home, a sugar cane field and a few other stops it was a great day.
We cannot say enough good about Ambar and all the people who work there , We go at approximately the same time every year and find it the most relaxing week of our year.and would recommend it as the best vacation for your money.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Michelle S
Viancagraciano, customer service at Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar Blue Don Pablo Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 25 August 2014

Dear Michelle,

It is a real pleasure to know that you spent another wonderful and awesome vacation with us.

We do not know how to thank you for this kind of comments. Posts such as yours delight us and gives us confidence to keep working hard to satisfy our customers and improve our service. We are glad to know that we provided you an excellent vacation, and that you find worth to mention our helpful and friendly staff.

As a repeater client your opinion is very important to us. It represents a challenge, an opportunity to improve our services, and maintain the magic that makes our dear customers choose for their holiday destination this paradise called Dominican Republic.

Looking forward to see you for a 3rd year visit!

Reviewed 24 August 2014

My first visit of Ambar was in April 2014 and I returned in July 2014 again because I missed very much. The resort is so beautiful, so green – royal palm trees, flowers, orchid in a vase in lobby. The lobby such light and air. Beach…. Mmmm!!! The beach is magic, amazing, awesome - white sand like a powder and ocean of turquoise color. Most part of time I and my friend were on a beach. Incredible relaxation!!!
The food was delicious and various. I very much like porridge with cinnamon, fruits and such tasty omelet for breakfast in main restaurant Palmyra. The cook, who prepares omelettes, Miguel, is magnificent. He sings for you while prepares your omelet, it`s so touching! In the afternoon we had lunch with pleasure in Las Brisas: paella, avocado, fish and vegetables on a grill, pizza with a wine glass… Yum-yum! Every evening in main restaurant Palmyra was a thematic dinner: Italian, Dominican, Spanish, Mexican, Japanese. Sometimes in the lobby there were tasty chocolates. From all of variety my favorite is papaya, avocado, mussels, shrimps and mango. Ah, mango!
Every day the room prepared for sleeping and put chocolates and new towels.
But the most great value of Ambar is people, who work here!!! Each of them is so sunny, so friendly, helpful, polite and sociable!!! They work hard all day, but they always smile and happy. The staff is AWESOME, FABULOUS!!! I cried when I left them. Emmanuel Pena is high professional on his job, very caring and very artistic: a bottle of champagne on arrival day and at the last day, bubble bath with flowers after excursion, it`s so cute. He is excellent! Carlos is so attentive. He accompanied me to the beach party, we chatted about everything. Girls meeting guests at Palmyra is very nice, try to speak Russian words. The waiters and barmen in Ambar are incredible, wonderful. They are perfect, they always know what we want to drink: Hipolito in Palmyra, Eduardo in Las Brisas (unfortunately I don`t remember all their names), Luis, Domingo, Marlene, Bianca and Maximo in the pool bar, Maximo is the best barman!!!
In my view the animation team is the best, incredible: Juckson, Alexis, Kelly and charming Steffani, Jose – aerobics and zoomba instructor. They are like batteries – full of energy all day. Two weeks in their company were unbelievable. Every day games, aqua gym in the pool, dances - bachata, merengue, salsa and zoomba! In the evening in the lobby music and dances, but unfortunately dances finished very early at 23.00 o`clock! On Saturday we enjoyed the Beach party in white and danced on the soft sand, ah!
I spent 4 weeks with these amazing people, but there isn`t enough for me. I miss them so much!
Being in Ambar I want to purr with pleasure!!! I can`t wait when I'll be back at the lovely Ambar! Maybe I'll be back for the third time in this year. I hope very much!

Maria, Russia, Moscow.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Maria K

Dear Maria,

It is a pleasure to read that you were glad and delighted on choosing our adult only hotel for your vacations and the fact that you're back so soon, fills us with great pride. At Bahia Principe our goal is to make your stay become an unforgettable experience, and it is wonderful to know that you enjoyed an amazing time with us and you are so grateful with the entire staff that work here.

We feel proud to have clients like you!!

Regards from the entire team working at Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar, your paradise!!

Reviewed 24 August 2014

First of all, this was our second trip to Punta Cana, and we decided to go to this resort again because of how much fun we had last time. The resort itself is huge, with six different groupings of hotels that are all a part of the resort, and you have mobility between each with the trams that are constantly running. We stayed at Esmeralda the first time and Ambar the second, which was a happy accident with booking but it all worked out in the end. Ambar is adults only, even on the beach, and has it's own pool and restaurants which are also adults only. The whole resort is family-friendly though, and we saw a ton of families when moving between resorts.

The staff is amazing and so customer-service oriented. You never wanted for anything while you were there. The grounds, rooms, pools, beaches, etc were kept perfectly clean, and we were pleasantly surprised with the quality of the food in the restaurants. Even the buffets were pretty good for what it was. I cannot recommend this resort enough, it's fantastic! We will probably be back again!

8  Thank Katelynn Z

Dear Katelynn,

I feel very happy to read that spent a great 2nd time with us. Thank you for highlighting our helpful and friendly staff.

We greatly appreciate that you have chosen for 2nd time our Resort as your holiday destination. As a repeater client your opinion is very important to us. It is rewarding to know that all our team working goes above and beyond to make you feel welcomed, pampered, and create a home away from home.

Thank you for your comments and looking forward to welcoming you once again!!!

Have a great day!!

Reviewed 22 August 2014

We traveled here in Mid-July...the hotel itself is nice and well manicured. However, the rooms are basic definitely not 5 star quality, but descent and clean. I love good food (self-claim foodie) and the food just was NOT good. This was very disappointing to me! Though plentiful, the food was left unseasoned...I'm not a salt lover, but many times I found myself shaking it all over my food just to eat. Most of the time, I survived off of the Chapata bread (which was delicious). As a matter of fact, two of my friends (who claimed to like the food) experienced severe digestive issues the last day.
The restaurant food was better, but the reservation policy was the worst. When on vacation you should be on leisure time not worrying about scheduling reservations at restaurants. One night we attempted to go to a restaurant without a reservation (Portofinos) and was rudely turned away. They claimed that all the tables were accounted for that evening, but there were at least 15 vacant tables. WARNING:They will not budge on this policy (despite the countless times we dined at several restaurants with empty tables the entire evening). This policy is beneficial to the Resort, but not to the "paying guest". Luxury Bahia Principe please revisit this policy as it is not guest friendly.

The staff were great and always had a smile. One staff member in particular blew us away with VIP treatment for my friends and I. Twice he sent a bottle of champagne to our rooms after finding out it was our favorite. He also sent a petite chocolate mouse cake to our room, so we could celebrate one of my friends birthday. Kudos to Emmanuel the best concierge ever!!

Would I return to this resort? Probably not.
See below for a list of pros and cons for this resort.

Pros
Well manicured grounds
Nice Staff
Superb Concierge
Beach Party lots of fun
Bartenders at beach bar were fabulous
Beautiful Beach
Offer fun excursions
Clean
Drinks at the lobby bar were excellent

Cons
Basic room
Food not so good. Fair at best
Pool closes early and don't think about getting in at night
Reservation needed in order to dine at restaurants other than buffets (No Exceptions)
Very hot throughout hotel especially in hallways
Pool/Beach towel policy
Room service menu for breakfast not up to par Pastries and fruit only (limited)
Bartenders at pool not that friendly (no smiles)
Lack of beach service had to walk to bar and get drinks
No foot mats in room next to bed since the room is covered in ceramic tile

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
4  Thank Shira R
Viancagraciano, customer service at Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar Blue Don Pablo Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 23 August 2014

Dear Shira,

We appreciate you have shared your opinion with us and we are sorry wholeheartedly for the inconveniences you have described.

Thank you for highlighting our nice staff, beautiful beach, excellent drinks and all that you mentioned.

In that regard, I would like to explain for our guests’ peace of mind, that we have launched for several weeks a complementary program with extra security measures to guarantee the total healthiness of our food, drinks and facilities. Please let me inform you that it is an external company and they have their own rules and prices.

I hope that your friends now feel better!!

Best regards from Punta Cana!!