Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar Blue Don Pablo Collection
Ranked #50 of 111 Hotels in Punta Cana
York, Pennsylvania
“Dream vacation”
Reviewed 30 June 2009

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the Ambar. It was exceptionally clean and well attended. The staff were friendly and very accommodating. Our trip went without any trouble, we booked an Apple vacation through Pan World travel and every detail was taken care of. The food was excellent and we enjoyed the variety. Our beach experience was wonderful. We spent our mornings on the beach under the palpas (which were plentiful) and our afternoons lounging in the whirlpool in the pool. It was very relaxing and we would surely go there again.

4 Thank mira0609

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,705)
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Missouri
Reviewed 30 June 2009

My husband and I stayed at the Ambar from June 15-21st. We are in our later 20s.

First of all I would like to say those who have posted bad reviews for this resort are probably not happy with anything anywhere. Bottom line is there are going to be not so perfect things in a not so perfect world.

This resort was absolutely beautiful and my husband and I had such a great time. The Ambar section is very peaceful and we did nothing but relax at the beach and sometimes the pool. The beach was white sand and the water was perfect. We could always find shade under a palm tree if there was not a palapa available. We could have played the chair game, but hey we were down there to get some sun, not hide under a palapa!! Like I said our section was very quiet, but if we wanted to liven things up we would go to the other sections for entertainment. We really enjoyed the nightly shows.

The people were very friendly down there and become quick friends when you engage them in conversation. We tipped always for everything, but we did that to show our thanks for the great service. Never did we feel like we had to tip to get good service.

The food was excellent. Keep in mind that you are in another country so the foods are NOT going to taste the same as where you are from. There was a massive selection of food on the buffets and the 3 al acarte restaurants we ate at had excellent food. I don't think I have eaten a better beef fillet than at the Garden Grille. The service was excellent to. They were always smiling and kept your wine and water glass full!!

The room was huge. The bathroom was really nice. The vanity was very large. The toilet was in it's own area with a door, large shower and a separate jacuzzi tub. We had a king size bed and it did sag a little in the middle, but that is small potatoes. The sitting room with small dining table was great to have as was the mini bar. Now I am going to address some of the complaints I have read. The mini bar wasn't stocked that day. Yes that happened once or twice, but all you do is call and let them know. They are at your door in less than a half hour to fill it. The toilet seat was broken. Yes the toilet seat was broken beause the seats are not the right size for the toilets. Once again you call the front desk and that is fixed by the time you get back to the room. The complainers also forget to mention the fact that you get a phone call at least once a day to your room asking how our room is, whether the mini bar was stocked and if there was anything that we require. It doesn't get better than that. Our maid was a sweetie. What a happy lady she was.

There was no confusion when we got to the resort or when we left. Everything was right on time and we had no issues getting to and from the airport. Although we did get a little car sick from the curvy, bumpy roads.

I think I touched on everything I thought was important. I could go into a lot more detail mind you. We have been on 2 trips to Mexico. I am not saying that the Dominican is any better than Mexico, because we really liked them equally, but I think this was the best vacation we have taken so far.

We did a tour with PC Mike. Highly recommended

4 Thank doodlemomMissouri
Orlando
Reviewed 29 June 2009

I would like to start by saying that this resort was by far the best I have ever stayed at anywhere. The staff was extremely friendly, the food was great, and the beach was beautiful. If you are looking for a place to relax and enjoy the beautiful weather, this is the place for you. When we arrived we were given a welcome drink and a cool towel. Our room was ready right away and the bellman took our bags to the room and showed us how everything worked. The resort is easy to find your way around. The room was very spacious and clean. We had a new towel animal everyday from the housekeeper. I have read other reviews saying that you had to get up a dawn to get shade on the beach...this is not true, we never had a problem finding a good spot. The best part about this resort was that is is adults only and we were able to make a lot of friends with others who were there for the same reason we were. If you have any questions please ask.

4 Thank jglopga
United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 June 2009

Gran Bahia Principe Ambar 10 – 24 June 2009

As we always read reviews about holiday resorts before we book, we thought it was about time we wrote one of our own. Sorry it is a bit long

Hotel:
The hotel is made up of three parts: Bavaro, Punto Cana, Ambar. Ambar has a 5 star rating but I think it is really should be a four star, Bavaro and Punto Cana are also 5 star rating but I think these should be 3 star rating. The walk ways are clean, the rooms in Ambar are very good, and spacious, there are 6 pools within the complex, and if you book into Ambar, you can use all the pools. There is regular transport around the hotel complex, just hop onto the shuttles which will take you around the site, but maybe not exactly where you want to go. The beach is lovely clean and not too crowded in front of Ambar. There is not much around the hotel, however there is the usual souvenir shops a short taxi drive away, but the same things can be bought in the hotel souvenir shops and about the same price. There is a large American mall a little further, but I have heard the prices are high.

Food and Drink:
The food in Ambar buffet is very good considering it is a buffet. Of course I would expect higher class food in a UK “al a carte” restaurant, but it is high class for a buffet. They do change the menu at the buffet so you don’t have to eat the same kind of food every night. We have had Steak, Lamb, pork, Fish, Lobster, shrimp and various vegetables and other things all of which have been good. I am very disappointed in the drinks in the hotel. They are definitely watered down at the pool bars. We changed to Champaign, wine or beer to avoid this and a few cocktails, even the Bailey’s was tampered with, I think they added milk and cinnamon. We did see the people in Bavaro and Punto Cana queuing up for the buffet service, but never in Ambar. The food quality is much better at Ambar buffet.

Restaurants
There are eleven “Al a Carte” restaurants in the complex, if you book into Ambar you will be able to use 4 per week. They are Italian, Spanish, Mexican, Japanese, French, Steak grill and Seafood. Booking the restaurants is difficult and dates were limited. Unfortunately the quality in these restaurants is not up to scratch, and I think Ambar buffet offers better quality of food and service. The Seafood, Japanese and Steak grill were OK.

Currency:
Take US Dollars, don’t bother with Pesos, they give you a bad exchange rate in the shops because their APR in Dominican Republic is currently 28.5%. The people in Dominican Republic are poor but prices are still higher than the UK, example sunscreen cream is about 18 dollars.

Staff
The staff are friendly, however the staff whom book your restaurant reservations were not very friendly, and there were not many restaurants available when we wanted to book them, so book early to avoid disappointments.

Pool and Beaches:
The pools in Bavaro and Punto Cana can be very noisy, with Children, loud music and a DJ in Spanish, not very relaxing. There are quite spots within Bavaro and Punto Cana pools but you do have to look for them. The pool in Ambar is quite and peaceful. Maybe once a week the DJ turns on the music and has a pool aerobics class. People from Bavaro or Punto Cana cannot use the pools in Ambar. There is a pool bar in every pool. The beach has soft white sands. There has always been shade by the beach but maybe not in a spot where you can see the sea. The sea is calm, with beautiful still blue waters.

Weather
We have been quite lucky with the weather, when we left the UK, the weather report indicated tropical storms, but upon arrival the weather was sunny and hot. The hotel seems to be in a hot spot, where there is cloud all around the area but not above the hotel. Seems strange, but true. The quality sun tan lotion in Dominican Republic is very expensive so buy this before you leave the UK.

Excursions
I am one whom loves to go on excursions; therefore we participated in seven excursions. I think the excursions are overpriced and a lot of them are two short, but I think this is the way of the industry now.

Outback Safari $89 (half day)
Looking at a typical Dominican home. Seeing the production of coconut oil, coco and cigars. Tasting the local drink, Mamajuana. A change to do some local shopping.
Soana Island $90 (full day)
This includes a two and a half hour bus ride to the harbour, then sail to the island, lunch and relax on the island. Then a speed boat to the middle of the ocean where you can stand in the ocean and find large star fish, finally a speed boat back to the harbour. Recommended.
Zip Lines $89 (half day)
These are fun but very quickly over. Some zip lines take 3-5 seconds while the longest takes 23-27 seconds. A total of 10 zip lines. Recommended
Quad Biking $89 (half day)
This was fun but at the start they were pushing for sales of local merchandise. Swim in the small caves and swim at the beach. There was a lot of mud so wear old clothing if possible. This excursion was a lot of fun after the hard sell. I wish the beach ride was a lot longer though. Recommended
Reef Explorer $89 (full day)
Very short boat ride, swim with sting rays and nurse sharks, snorkel, massage, canoe.
Speed Venture boating $75 (half day)
Ride in two man speed boats, then snorkelling. Highly recommended.
Horse Riding $65
Riding on a stunning beach. Served coconuts just picked from the tree. Highly recommended.

Ambar Upgrade
If you have booked into Bavaro or Punto Cana you can upgrade to Ambar for 15 dollars per person per day, this is a well worth it upgrade. Obviously if available.

8 Thank Clinton_Ping
Toronto
Reviewed 27 June 2009

First Off I'd like to state that this resort IS Pretty darn close to a 5 star.
The grounds are beautiful!!!!!!!!!!!! the food is what you get when you travel down south and you will not die or get sick from it. They have plenty selection even for me and I AM A VERY PICKY EATER!!! The rooms are spacious and clean, the mini bar is re-stocked daily and we didnt even tip.
They come around at night and ask whoever needs more towels and supplies with how ever many you need. They customer service was around and did there very best addressing any concerns or needs you have. And people, they do speak enough english for you . I mean, if you travel to Canada and dont speak english you will NOT find anybody at any store, very rarely, that can communicate with you in other languages. So please dont critisize a third world country that has its ppl take basic ESL classes to communicate with such unappreciative guests.
I also have to add that the beach is beautiful, the ocean is warm and you should have no trouble finding shade unless you sleep in until 11 am.
You can also use the internet for about 15 mins free each day.
I have travelled to a few other Caribbean Islands and this resort ranks second to the (suite oceanview room) Riu Palace in Aruba.

6 Thank HolidayLoverToronto
Michigan
Reviewed 27 June 2009

I'm going to make this short and sweet. My husband and I traveled for the 1st time to the Domincan for our honeymoon. I find this resort has some improving to do. From the food to the rooms. Yes, the rooms our somewhat nice but certainly not a 5 star. As for the food it's less than desirable at most restraunts. DO NOT GIVE OUT YOUR ROOM NUMBER NO MATTER WHAT!!!! We had a waiter ask us for our room number and my husband and I simply told him no. He got mad at us and then began to make rude comments about how I like pork and making pig sounds. Keep in mind I weigh 115 lbs. It was quite disgusting. If you give your room number out your room will more than likely be ransacked at some point in time. It's an all- inclusive resort and you wear a wristband for one reason only. That should say enough. We heard that there had been alot of changes in management when we got there from the minibar guy who was selling the liquor on the streets instead of filling the minibar to the manager. As we heard both were fired. Maybe these changes in management will improve this resort. One thing that was breathtaking were the beaches. They are the most beautiful beaches I have ever seen and they stretch for miles. Overall the vacation was OK. The people that we met from Canada and New Jersey made our vacation. Keep in mind there is not much to do in the Dominican so if your looking for nightlife I would recommend somewhere else.

2 Thank bankerbabe415
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 26 June 2009

Stayed at this resort for two weeks, May 22-June 5/09. We were attending a destination wedding, which was originally planned for GBP Riviera Maya but had to be changed due to the H1N1 flu. It all came together about 10 days before we were set to leave!

Grounds: Absolutely beautiful, lush and immaculately cared for. The resort is huge but very well laid out, easy to walk and/or to get around by the trolly if you choose to. We found it was very well lit at night and all your amenities are really close by.

Room: Comfortable with a king-four poster bed, sitting area, 27 inch flat screen tv, and the mini bar restocked daily with pop, water, beer, small bottles of hard liquor and a small can of Pringles. The electronic safe is free, coffee maker, an umbrella in the closet, as well as your two beach/pool towels. The bathroom was spacious with separate shower, toilet & jetted tub. There’s also a make up mirror and some toiletries (note—no hair conditioner provided). Housekeeping did a good job daily (always when we were out for breakfast) and the nightly turndown service was a nice touch (with 2 chocolates). We used the pillow menu (free) and ordered various scented/therapeutic pillows daily. Our favorite was green apple. Room service is included and we used it twice for a late night snack (sandwiches & fries) as well as breakfast one morning. Service was prompt.

Pool: The Ambar pool was clean and always warm. There are two jetted tub areas and a nice swim up bar. We never had a problem finding a place. They built 8 more palapas while we were there, but I think guests get up pretty early to secure one of those shady spots. Note that the stools at the swim up bar are very rough, so be careful if you sit on one as you may either rip your suit or the skin on your legs. The swim up bar closes at 6:00 pm, as does the pool. The towel shack is open 8:00 am - 5:30 pm to exchange your towels. No pools games, just water aerobics daily. There is a security guard at the pool for when guests from the other resorts try to use the Ambar pool and they are politely asked to leave.

Beach: Beautiful soft white sand, palm trees, lots of palapas for shade and crystal clear water. We walked the beach in both directions and enjoyed it thoroughly. About 30 minutes one way (turn right) is a market directly on the beach, which was fun to visit. We went kayaking (free) and parasailing ($$). They also have paddleboats, windsurfing, boogie boards and hobby cats. There is a bar on the beach, which was handy as well.

Food/dining: The Ambar allows you unlimited a la carte dining. We ate at 7 of them, the service and food was excellent. We enjoyed the appetizer buffet at each a la carte, which had a lot of interesting things to try. I suggest you make your reservations the first day, as we found several of our choices were either closed or full on the nights we requested. Our favorite was Italino Porto Fino and least favorite was El Meson (Spanish). The buffet was very good as well with the made to order egg stations at breakfast, an abundance of fresh fruit and salads. The buffet by the pool was handy for lunch with another great selection of fresh food. They enforce the dress code and do not allow men into the buffet at dinner if they aren’t wearing long pants.

Entertainment: The Ambar lobby has an indoor (non smoking) and outdoor (smoking) seating area, with the bar closing at 11 pm. Everything else you could want is at the Bavaro. Many shops, a casino, karaoke bar, disco, live outdoor band (11:00 pm) and a theatre with nightly shows (9:30 pm) that were very good.

Wedding: This resort was able to accommodate 48 guests and Clarabel, the wedding planner did an excellent job. We attended a rehearsal diner (Garden Grill), ceremony on the beach and a wedding dinner/reception (Café De Paris) with dj/music. The dinner service was very attentive and the food delicious.

Other: We had a couples massage at the Ambar spa and it was great (30% discount if your vacation is booked with Transat Holidays). The women in the wedding party had their hair and make up done and were very pleased. Guests are allowed 15 minutes per session (not monitored after midnight) of free internet on one of the two computers in the Ambar lobby. There is also a cigar shop, gift shops, pharmacy and doctor’s office on site. I did seek treatment for mosquito bites (I got at the Bavaro & Punta Cana) that I reacted to. The doctor was efficient, professional and spoke clear English. I felt better within 1 hour of her treatment. We found the front desk staff to be accommodating.

Overall, we were very impressed with the GBP Ambar and everything that was offered on the property. Feel free to contact me if you have any questions.

• Stayed May 2009
Luxury Bahia Principe Bouganville Don Pablo Collection
Hotel Riu Palace Macao
Hotel Riu Palace Macao
#43 of 111 in Punta Cana

Been to Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar Blue Don Pablo Collection? Share your experiences!