“THE perfect location for a destination wedding!”

Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar Blue
Ranked #52 of 114 Hotels in Punta Cana
Reviewed 9 October 2010

We started out with over 2 dozen resorts and narrowed it down to this one because of their friendly & timely customer service and TripAdvisor feedback. Contrary to destination wedding advice, we felt there was no need to visit the resort as the reviews and photos spoke for themselves. Because of a family emergency a mere month before the big day, we had to reschedule our nuptials. The wedding department (Rossely, Lady Mar, Ligia) was outstanding, caring and supportive. Without question or penalty, they were able to accommodate our wedding in mid-July! When it came to choosing details for the wedding, everything was so easy and efficient. We were blessed with a beautiful ceremony and a crowd of new guests/friends we met at the pool. We had our wedding on the beach and the reception was in a separate room at El Pescador. The DJ and service was fabulous. We met our wedding photographer that day and the photos look like they belong in a magazine.

Ambar is the most amazing resort we've ever seen. The grounds are immaculate, the rooms are gorgeous - I have nothing negative to say about the place. We never got tired of the buffet - the freshly prepared food is delicious and there is lots of variety and vegetarian choices. Don Pablo and the Italian restaurant at the newly opened "Esmeralda" section were our favorite (you must make reservations for non-buffet locals ahead of time). We also used the spa services at Ambar - loving, fun ladies there.

The entire resort is GINORMOUS. It took us 2 days to learn the tram system. It was frustrating at first, then funny as we just hopped on any tram headed the direction we thought we were supposed to go.

We stayed for a total of nine days and got to know quite a few staff. They work so hard - double shifts, 10 days in a row. Service is always warm and with a smile. If you speak Spanish or make an effort to speak Spanish, it is well appreciated (if you don't know the language, never fear - staff we've met know 2-4 languages). We brought many $1 bills and were not stingy with tips. We tipped the maids daily and they always left us extra water, beer and alcohol.

Try to venture out to Saona Island - the day trip is well worth ~$85. You travel with a very knowledgeable guide, take a catamaran to the island, which is all inclusive food/drink, dancing, etc. A speed boat brings you back to the landing and you also stop to check out giant starfish. We also went on the snorkeling/shark/ray excursion.

We're definitely headed back to Ambar and want to explore more of Dominican Republic!

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank supadupastef
Write a ReviewReviews (10,754)

Reviewed 9 October 2010

Loved this resort, pay a little extra and stay at the ambar section which is for adults only. For families there is the esmerelda which we did not stay in but which looked amazing as well. The food was very good, the service wonderful, the staff helpful and welcoming. We would definitely return. The entertainment was amateurish but the staff try their best, you can choose to skip this. The beach is lovely and nicer than some of the other resorts nearby. Shopping available on the resort, shops pricey , stands you need to bargain, be prepared to walk away.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank lou984039
Reviewed 8 October 2010

We went to Ambar to celebrate my brother-in-law's retirement. What a place. We loved the Micro-cuisine at dinner time. Beach was beautiful. Food was delicious. Staff was really nice, Pool was beautiful. The junior suite was beautiful, clean and loved the size of it (in the tower). I would not recommend a communicating room if you want to sleep at night and you have neighbors that come it late, but very late, you can almost follow the whole conversation and it is the same for the doors of the rooms which make at lot of noise if they are let go to close. The complex is very big but there is a shuttle that brings you around. I would recommend this hotel and loved the fact that it is 18 and up.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 October 2010

stayed sept 26 to oct 3, despite 5 days of rain we had an amazing vacation. this place is very clean and im talking everywhere even the public washrooms ,the food is very good and the rooms are first rate. service is also good. the resort is huge but i had everything i needed on the ambar side of the resort. great job to all the staff at the resort i will be back.thanks.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled on business
2  Thank frankMontreal
Reviewed 1 October 2010

The hotel was clean and beautiful, beach was fantastic, food was excellent, rooms were spacious and clean. The only complaint I have about The Ambar is that the bars close early. We got married there last year and it was fantastic. The wedding cake had the best frosting I have ever eaten, my flowers were gorgeous, the trio that played was lovely, the gazebo was perfect. We are going back again this year for 2 weeks this time!

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank smacwhirter
Reviewed 29 September 2010

Beautiful Resort, great location, beach was fantastic. Adult only section, meant that pool area was fairly quiet for the whole week. Did not see many animation staff members for the better part of the day. If you are looking for a more active resort, this is not the one for you, definitely a place to go and relax, you do have the option of visiting other sections for a change of pace. I would not consider this resort a five star, lobby bar closes at 11:30pm nightly, the 24hr grill section leaves a lot to be desired, no decent cappucinos to be found anywhere, a 5 star resort should not be using powdered coffee and passing it off as an expresso. I have received better selection at a Cuban 4 star resort. Staff were extremely friendly, and food was great. Recommend this hotel for those who are truly looking for a place to just relax.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank scoop9
Reviewed 26 September 2010

My husband and I had a very good time. THE STAFF MADE IT GREAT. They are sweet and helpful and really seem to care. The hours they keep is ridiculous though. Almost everyone we spoke to work 10 hr days minimally and work 6 days a week. Only one day off. Still, they work so hard and try so hard to please. They always smile and say HOLA to you.

The food we weren't so keen on. But it wasn't terrible ... it just wasn't all that appetizing to us. However there was lots to choose from...but some was very repitious. As for the ala carte restaurants ... Don Pablo restaurant was the best and the lobster was the best my husband ever had. Portions were small at this restaurant however ... the good thing was that you could always order more if you were hungry :)

Of course it was super hot and muggy (it is the tropics after all!) but it was so hot at times I found it a bit much to take. I imagine if we had been there longer our bodies would have begun to become more accustomed to it.

Strange thing was that out of all the people I met, I seemed to be the one most affected by mosquitos. I was bit from my knees down a total of 58 times (I counted them the day I arrived home). It began the first night when I had around 10 of them. This wasnt the hotels fault at all ... it was something about Punta Cana and me!! Very strange. Especially since my husband did not get one bite and we did all the same things. I use no perfumes or lotions, we used the same soap and ate the same food most of the time. I met only one woman there who was getting bit like me ... and she had nowhere near as many as me. What I would say to anyone exposing their skin (legs) at night ... use deet bug spray on their legs !!! My husband always wore long pants and closed in shoes ... and I wonder if that was why he was okay.

Otherwise fabulous fabulous fabulous and yes, we would recommend the hotel to people and will very likely visit again sometime.

Go and have a great vacation!

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple