“Poor attitude”

Ranked #102 of 110 Hotels in Punta Cana
Kentucky
“Poor attitude”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 January 2012

I recently stayed at the Golden Bear lodge when I was in the Dominican Republic for a business weekend. The rooms were ok except for the roaches found in the bathroom. The biggest problem I had during my stay was with the security staff. I returned Cap Cana to retrieve my brief case and laptop for another meeting. In the car was a business associate and our translator, when we arrived at the gate, security refused to let us in because our translator was a Dominican national without a passport.
I attempted to explain that I needed to retrieve my briefcase and asked the security staff to call the hotel but they refused to call the hotel and laughed at me when I asked them to call a second time.. The Guard a Jose R, asked my translator for Propina, I asked her what that ment and she stated that he was asking for a tip to let her in. I refused to tip the guard and he refused to let us back into our hotel. We ended up having to get a hotel room in town for the night, We lost a night we had already paid for and I lost a contract because of the problems with the guards.
Do not stay here until the guards are properly trained. Do not pay them for services they have not performed. As far as I am concerned, When you pay a huge amount of money for a privete hotel, The guards should not have the right to stop you question you about anyone in your car.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
6 Thank wyattcl

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Lexington, Kentucky
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 January 2012

I travel a lot. I love Dominican Republc. I have stayed in almost each place there but this GOLDEN BEAR is more like the ROTTEN EGG.

The service is awful. It tooks us three hours to get checked in. No room service. No mini bar. SECURITY TREATS YOU LIKE YOU ARE CRIMINAL. THE SECURITY AT CAP CANA SHOULD ALL BE FIRED AND STATR OVER. I ALMOST GOT INTO A FIGHT WITH THEM ALL BECAUSE THEY WERE GIVING US A DIFFICULT TIME. They are thugs. Trump should be ashamed.

The room is dirty. TWO DEAD ROACHES IN PLAIN VIEW IN THE BATHROOM. Then went I went to bathroom late at night I saw at least 3 live roACHES going to hide. it was awful and I could not go back to sleep.

I got bites all over my body from bed bugs after I left. Please I dont like to complain because I love the dominican republic but this hotel is just awful.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
7 Thank TravelL0ver2009

Travellers are raving about these Punta Cana hotels

Saint Louis, Missouri
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 December 2011

Dominican Republic, Cap Cana and Golden Bear Lodge are just wonderful! Let me just start out by saying that we stayed here in March 2011 and loved it so much that we are going back again in a couple of weeks for Christmas break. We are a family of four, son 16 and a daughter 14. We love the beach, golf and great food and Cap Cana has it all. Yes, this place is empty but if you are content within your own family, why would you want the crowds? This is the prime reason why we are going back, we have the entire Golden Bear Lodge to ourselves, the staff is very attentive to our needs, the grounds are immaculate and the rooms are luxurious and large. Can't beat the Price at about $250/night (2 bed suite) inclusive of breakfast for all four of us! The golf at Punta Espada is equal to or better than Pebble beach at less than half the price, and nearly empty so you can play a round at any time your heart desires. The caddies make the experience all the more wonderful. The food at the various restaurants including the Marina, Secrets Sanctuary and Caleton Beach Club are exceptional and varied. Yes they are expensive but well worth it for the quality, service and location! The beachs here in Cap Cana are picture perfect! We rented two golf carts during our entire stay last March and some of the most fun we had was driving in them to dinner or to the beach as a family and racing down the empty roads with not a care in the world. This has given us an opportunity to enjoy quality time with our children before they start going off to college soon. Let me sum this up in a couple of sentences. This place is not for the "all inclusive" crowd. As long as you are content within your own family or group, love golf and the beach, eat great food, solitude and enjoy the hospitality and kindness of the Dominican People than you cannot go wrong with Cap Cana and Golden Bear Lodge!

Room Tip: Caleton Beach is better than Juanillo beach. There is an ATM between Golden Bear and Caleton Beach C...
  • Stayed March 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank sugarmull
new york
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2011

If you are a celebrity or simply hate the crowds, this is the place for you ! A fantastic resort built just before the global economic crisis that stands alone in the middle of nowhere as a ghost town. I didn't meet a single human being in the entire property during my stay. The structure is new and well mainteined , but defenetly not a 5 star resort . The beach is far as anything else, so you need the car or rent a golf cart to go anywhere. Prices are out of this world for mediocre food and service. I woulnd't go back.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
6 Thank cristianonyc
Lucerne, Switzerland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2011

This review is written by golfers (from Switzerland), regular travellers to fine quality golf-resorts in Europe incl. Canary islands / s. Africa / Mauritius / and more.
We saw a report on Golf TV-Channel about Cap Cana in late 2010. We checked out the hotels on the internet (‘Golden Bear’, as well as the ‘Secret Sanctuary’). Very impressed and enthusiastically we booked a two week vacation for April 2011 at the golden bear. The trip to the Caribbean island with exclusive/expensive hotel and golf-courses was meant to celebrate an “important” birthday…
When we arrived, no welcome whatsovever, unprofessional staff at the front desk. Instead of a warm welcome we were told there is a temporary problem with water and air conditioning in the rooms. As soon as we got to the room, there was a total electricity breakdown on top of this. Fortunately we had just left the elevator. The poor guy who carried our luggage to the room couldn't help at all, not a word of English or any other language (we speak English, French, German and Italian). No torch, no candles. We had to use the light of the cell-phone to find the way... Ok - the electricity came on after 20 or 30 minutes. As it was already past 8 p.m. We asked which of the restaurants were open. There was only one - and we were the only guests. We ordered a light meal which was fine. Back to the room we have warm water (not hot…) and take a shower. The shower head leaks and water spills in all directions.
The next day we go to the same restaurant for breakfast. Again we are the only guests. The waiters are friendly, but again they don’t really speak English. Our impression is that the locally hired employees (front desk, waiters, etc.) are not trained in their profession, and neither do they speak a foreign language. Though they try hard and are mostly friendly, the problem remains that you cannot communicate…
Then we use the shuttle to the golf-course and play a nice round on Punta Espada, a very beautiful and challenging course. The golf course is not busy at all (and so are La Cana and Corales, all of which are spectacular, but very expensive!)
Back at the Golden Bear, we notice the pool area is deserted. No other people, the pool bar and the pool grill are closed. The waiter tells us we could order food or drinks and he would carry it from the only restaurant that’s open…
We decide not to have dinner at the Golden Bear. The shuttle brings us to the ‘Marina’. Nice area, lots of construction going on – but (guess what) no people. There are a few restaurants, all of which are nearly empty.
The next day at Golden Bear we ask when the spa is open. The answer is that the spa is open daily. We go to the spa during the opening hours and find it closed. A glance through the glass door reveals there is nobody inside. We check back a few hours later and insist that somebody will show us around. One room looks like it is under construction or maintenance. None of the facilities are in operation (no sauna, steam bath, Jacuzzi etc.). This was particularly disappointing, because we asked our agent before we booked the trip to specifically reconfirm that the spa is open.
After 3 days we decide we don’t want to stay here. We visit the “Secret Sanctuary” and find out they have rooms available. There is “life” - there are lots of guests, pool activities, evening shows, gym and spa, 4 restaurants, bars and more. We call our agent who books a room and we move there the same day.
On the positive side: without much discussion Golden Bear allows a full recharge for the remaining 10 days. They know very well that they can’t expect us to stay!
Bottom line: the “Golden Bear” brand makes a very poor impression, in fact we feel robbed. None of the promises and nice words of Mr. Nicklaus’ statement (what “Golden Bear” stands for….) which can be found on a large wooden board on the wall near the front desk are true. They are a joke! I would like to invite Mr. Jack Nicklaus to visit the resort of his own brand and let us know what he found. It is not correct to charge full price when in reality most of the facilities and services are nonexistent.
We cannot recommend Golden Bear!

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
8 Thank Peter M
Miami, Florida
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2011

Just one week, and it was a long boring week.
Cap Cana! What did I read about that region before! Donald Trump, big names. Hyatt will come, most exclusive spot in the RD!
What did I find? A nice hotel with an icredible staff, they try hard to satisfy the guests.
Huge rooms. No complains - but you already can see: dominican maintenance all over
and clean? Oh yeah, bugs and crawling animals are commun in the DR!
Animation? Not at all, beside you are constructor. Than you go and explore Cap Cana!
Construction here and there. Beside that: Whatever you can get in Cap Cana: it cost unfortune. Because it is Cap Cana. I would say: until nothing is finished, satisfy clients with specials, so they close an eye. But charging them full and have nothing to offer beside a nice view and a nice pool, with a stuff who try... no way. I think for the next 5 years Cap Cana is not the place to go on vacation, until something is ready and no half construction / half ghost town. At least: it was my fault, I didn't make a good research.
Since my stay in GBL and Cap Cana I know: Get informed before you start.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank travelfranky
california
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2011

We just return past evening from Cap Cana staying at the Golden Bear Lodge. We rented a 2 bedroom and a 1 bedroom unit for our family. The apartments are perfect. They have wonderful views of the golf course and out to the sea. They are quite large with individual splash pools and the furnishings are top notch. The folks at the front desk are very helpful, and do everything they can to help with your needs, especially Americo the bell man.

If we were to go again, there are few things I would do differently. For starters when we telephoned central reservations for Cap Cana the gentleman who took our room reservations (Giuliano Garufi) told us if we needed to book any tours or excursions he could arrange them for us since he is a concierge for Cap Cana. As soon as we checked in, he tracked us down at the pool and started the process of trying to arrange scuba diving, snorkeling and fishing for us. At first we were pleased with his service, and booked a full day (8 hour) private boat charter for $900 where we could do all 3 activities the same day. The boat was to have equipment for 4 people, and drinks and snacks. Although we have taken private charters around the world doing the same thing for less money we were advised by Giuliano, "this is Cap Cana, things are more expensive here", we still agreed to the trip. Less than 12 hours before the boat was to take us out, Giuliano called us to advise we needed to pay an extra $250 for equipment. We told him we would not pay an additional amount and if they didn't honor the original price we would cancel. We were then told if we cancelled, we would incur a cancellation penalty. I called our credit card company and found out our card was already charged the full $900 and the only way to prevent additional charges was to cancel our credit card which we did. When I was on the telephone with Giuliano discussing the charges etc. we were disconnected, and he never called me back. I immediately emailed him and told him we are canceling the trip and I will dispute the charge when I get back to the states.
The next morning Giuliano telephoned and told me if we go on the trip they will honor the price as it was quoted, so we decided to go. We arrived at the boat and there was only the captain who spoke NO english. He took us to a dive spot approximately 30 minutes from the harbor and basically tied up the boat and we were on our own. There was no dive master, no pre dive instructions, nothing. My husband and son went in and started the dive. The current was so strong there were mooring ropes underwater they had to hold on to or they would have been swept out to sea. They spent 20 minutes in the water and decided to call it a day since it was too dangerous. Next we asked the captain to take us to a beach, and he took us to a sand bar with 5 feet of water. We decided to try snorkeling there, and it was a bust. No fish, coral, just sand and grass. We then asked the captain to take us fishing and we could not communicate so we asked for a translator. He telephone Giuliano who proceeded to tell us the water is too rough to fish. All of a sudden we realized we had gotten ripped off. When we looked all over the boat they had only brought 1 fishing rod for a 6 person trip, and no live bait. We were on the boat for less than 3 hours and there was nothing to do so we asked to go back. In addition, when we asked for a drink, the captain opened the cooler and all they had was 3 water bottles, 6 beers and 3 sodas for 6 people for an 8 hour trip.
When we came back to Golden Bear Lodge, we asked the front desk people about Giuliano and they told us he is just a guy in central reservations and he is not a concierge for the Cap Cana Property. They also proceeded to tell us how much less we would have spent for our excursion had we booked it with them.
We were completely taken advantage of and it seemed like no one at Cap Cana could do anything to help us. Needless to say, we complained to Giuliano's supervisor, and he blamed a minor earthquake on the strong current, and the rough seas. Everyone we spoke to said they could not help us get any sort of credit. It was truly fraud and was done under the name of Cap Cana. Cap Cana is being classified as a "world class resort", but a telephone operator can take advantage of guests and it seems OK.
If I were to go back, I would not deal with anyone except the folks at the front desk of the property you rent. I addition, I would rent a car so you have options for meals. The restaurants are good but very expensive for the quality.
All in all, this was the most stressful and expensive trip we have every taken just for a week at the sea. Golden Bear Lodge was the only positive of the entire week.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with family