“Very Quiet”

Ranked #102 of 110 Hotels in Punta Cana
New York City, New York
“Very Quiet”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2012

Access to the great golf course is a plus. You need a car while staying on this property - don't rely on the shuttle, and you need to go grocery shopping off site. There is a great marketplace right outside the Airport. A real supermarket and several cute restaurants. On site spa and gym were average. Pool was very nice. Best to check out the nearby Sanctuary to actually see anyone else, and enjoy a beautiful beach with access to food and beverage services. The Marina was also nice, but deserted. We were two couples and enjoyed a beautiful two bedroom suite that was well appointed. It would have been nice if the outdoor tub had heat! There is only one convenient wifi spot within walking distance of the rooms.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Avinash1

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2012

The last time that I visited Punta Cana it was all about music, food, entertainment, pool and beach. This time around I went with my husband and 3 year old son. The location and the whole hotel was great for us a family: very quiet, excellent rooms, not crowded and excellent beach (Juanillo). The menu at Juanillo beach was better than the menu at the hotel restaurant.
Tips:
1. as soon as you get your room, leave your lugage and ask for a shuttle to the mini grocery store at Las Canas. Having a mini or full kitchen was great for snacks in the middle of the day.
2. Bring your books, kindle, games, etc. you will need to entertain yourself
What I did not like?
1. No entertainment
2. Buffet options are very limited and I had to wait for them to fill the trays..... Not nice when you are hungry. They can improve the menu options.
3. A heater in the pool will be nice, that pool was super cold. It was great after a whole day at the beach to refresh, but not to go in the middle of the day..
4. Take a shuttle to go around.. Don't take me wrong, they are always available, but common a shuttle to go to the beach..

Will I go back? Not sure....For a weekend of relaxation and peace YES!!!! For a weekend of fun and party NO!!

• Stayed February 2012
3 Thank Ortiz-fam
Nevele, Oost-Vlaanderen, Belgium
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 February 2012

I don't understand all the issues of the other comments.
the rooms are wonderful/so hudge, meals are great and the environment heavenly!
we'll certainly return to this hotel!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
5 Thank An S
Monaco
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 January 2012

Was there in the beginning of January 2012. 1 bdr apt is awesome! Lots of space in the living room, huge bathroom with shower for 2, deep pool on one of the 2 terraces. Quiet place all around, no annoying people, that you usually can see in all resorts in Punta Cana. Haromony with the nature and yourself!!! Another issue is with the staff. Almost all of them are good enough, except Tony, the receptionist, who is rude and unprofessional. So, good advice to the management - get rid of him ASAP, or he will ruin all the perfect impression of the place.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
10 Thank Alex W
Kentucky
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 January 2012

I recently stayed at the Golden Bear lodge when I was in the Dominican Republic for a business weekend. The rooms were ok except for the roaches found in the bathroom. The biggest problem I had during my stay was with the security staff. I returned Cap Cana to retrieve my brief case and laptop for another meeting. In the car was a business associate and our translator, when we arrived at the gate, security refused to let us in because our translator was a Dominican national without a passport.
I attempted to explain that I needed to retrieve my briefcase and asked the security staff to call the hotel but they refused to call the hotel and laughed at me when I asked them to call a second time.. The Guard a Jose R, asked my translator for Propina, I asked her what that ment and she stated that he was asking for a tip to let her in. I refused to tip the guard and he refused to let us back into our hotel. We ended up having to get a hotel room in town for the night, We lost a night we had already paid for and I lost a contract because of the problems with the guards.
Do not stay here until the guards are properly trained. Do not pay them for services they have not performed. As far as I am concerned, When you pay a huge amount of money for a privete hotel, The guards should not have the right to stop you question you about anyone in your car.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
6 Thank wyattcl

Travellers are raving about these Punta Cana hotels

Lexington, Kentucky
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 January 2012

I travel a lot. I love Dominican Republc. I have stayed in almost each place there but this GOLDEN BEAR is more like the ROTTEN EGG.

The service is awful. It tooks us three hours to get checked in. No room service. No mini bar. SECURITY TREATS YOU LIKE YOU ARE CRIMINAL. THE SECURITY AT CAP CANA SHOULD ALL BE FIRED AND STATR OVER. I ALMOST GOT INTO A FIGHT WITH THEM ALL BECAUSE THEY WERE GIVING US A DIFFICULT TIME. They are thugs. Trump should be ashamed.

The room is dirty. TWO DEAD ROACHES IN PLAIN VIEW IN THE BATHROOM. Then went I went to bathroom late at night I saw at least 3 live roACHES going to hide. it was awful and I could not go back to sleep.

I got bites all over my body from bed bugs after I left. Please I dont like to complain because I love the dominican republic but this hotel is just awful.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
7 Thank TravelL0ver2009
Saint Louis, Missouri
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 December 2011

Dominican Republic, Cap Cana and Golden Bear Lodge are just wonderful! Let me just start out by saying that we stayed here in March 2011 and loved it so much that we are going back again in a couple of weeks for Christmas break. We are a family of four, son 16 and a daughter 14. We love the beach, golf and great food and Cap Cana has it all. Yes, this place is empty but if you are content within your own family, why would you want the crowds? This is the prime reason why we are going back, we have the entire Golden Bear Lodge to ourselves, the staff is very attentive to our needs, the grounds are immaculate and the rooms are luxurious and large. Can't beat the Price at about $250/night (2 bed suite) inclusive of breakfast for all four of us! The golf at Punta Espada is equal to or better than Pebble beach at less than half the price, and nearly empty so you can play a round at any time your heart desires. The caddies make the experience all the more wonderful. The food at the various restaurants including the Marina, Secrets Sanctuary and Caleton Beach Club are exceptional and varied. Yes they are expensive but well worth it for the quality, service and location! The beachs here in Cap Cana are picture perfect! We rented two golf carts during our entire stay last March and some of the most fun we had was driving in them to dinner or to the beach as a family and racing down the empty roads with not a care in the world. This has given us an opportunity to enjoy quality time with our children before they start going off to college soon. Let me sum this up in a couple of sentences. This place is not for the "all inclusive" crowd. As long as you are content within your own family or group, love golf and the beach, eat great food, solitude and enjoy the hospitality and kindness of the Dominican People than you cannot go wrong with Cap Cana and Golden Bear Lodge!

Room Tip: Caleton Beach is better than Juanillo beach. There is an ATM between Golden Bear and Caleton Beach C...