“Birthday weekend, Fabulous hotel!”

Barcelo Bavaro Beach - Adults Only
Ranked #22 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 25 July 2012

My boyfriend, my best friend, and I stayed at Barcelo Bavaro Beach (adults only) 7/19-7/23. Celebrating my birthday in Punta Cana this year was more then what I expected expecially staying at Barcelo Bavaro. This hotel is completely astonishing from the entry of the hotel, the beach, & to our room. We were first greeted by a gentleman who directed us to the "club premium" check in where they greeted us with champagne. They escorted us to our ocean view room with an amazing view, a bottle of rum and champagne, a mini bar with all types of beverages, and a fruit tray. All the restuarants on Barcelo are simply great, just make sure you make reservations ahead of time, unless they're al a carte (no need for one). There is about 3 to 4 hotels that you have access too. There is a trolly that runs by each hotel every 10-20 mins. Spanish is a must in DR. You may pay either with Dominican $ or American, just expect for everyone to receive a tip. Barcelo offers excursions also, just make sure you reserve those ahead of time also. My last night in Punta Cana, we decided to dine at Chez Gourmet where the food met our expectations and more. Since I had mentioned it to Jazmin (young lady with braces) the check in cleric inside the 'club premium' who checked us in the day we arrived, the reason of my trip was because of my birthday, she requested the waite staff at Chez Gourmet to bring out a small birthday cake and sing to me. The staff at Barcelo Bavaro Beach went out of their way to make our stay very most memorable. I'll definitely be returning back to Punta Cana and I wont hesitate to book this hotel again!!

PS: MUCHAS GRACIAS JASMIN POR EL LINDO DETALLE, ERES INCREIBLE Y MUY AMABLE!! xoxo

Room Tip: get the club premium package, it includes literally EVERYTHING..Free room service, unlimited food an...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank BrendaHouTX
There are newer reviews for Barcelo Bavaro Beach - Adults Only

Reviewed 25 July 2012

Me and my girlfriend stayed at Barcelo Bavaro Beach from June 25 to July 1. We read a lot of reviews from expedia and Tripadvisor and were ready for a good time. We loved our stay and have all the good things to say about it.
We reached at the reception at 12 and Magdelina at the check in was nice and gave us our bands and told us it will be an hour before our room is ready- but we were OK to go and start vacation. Thats the time one needs to make all the dinner reservations at A la Carte restaurants. Go for Chez Gourmet and Coral. The mexican restaurant was so so.Good part about Adults only resort is that you can stay at Adults only or go to Bavaro beach. Our room was great with strong AC but i have to say bathrooms were very outdated. Vanity and sinks are great BUT shower needs immediate attention.
Pool is great and water is amazing, we had drinks all day long. Beach is just out of this world. There are plenty of chairs at the beach all day long. Chairs at the pool get filled quickly so you wanna go put your yellow towel and take your seats before you go for breakfast. People and staff was very nice. If you are american and pretend to be entitled and demand stuff you will get attitude. Just respect and tip the staff and they will do anything. They love if you order drinks in their language, una presidente or una pina colada muchas rum will do it. You can get fresh towels all day long and there are no bugs so you can stay at the beach even late night. Security staff is around the beach all the time. There is plenty to do including pool tables, ping pong, chess and nightly entertainment including Michael Jackson show which was awesome. It is great to be watching nightly entertainment while smoking cuban cigars and drinking free drinks.There are plenty of excursions that you can choose from, e.g.Trip to Saona Island.
Something we missed was internet. You can have internet for money. $3 for 15 minutes or $12 for a day. Buffet food was great, if you like seafood, you will be in heaven. all the food was fresh and delicious. Concierge people were very helpful and helped us with a lot. we would love to go there again.

Room Tip: Close to pool.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Phun_Times
Reviewed 23 July 2012

My boyfriend and i stayed at barcelo bavaro beach (adults only side) july 14-21. We are both in our mid twenties and have had 5 prior experiences staying at all inclusives in mexico and punta cana. Overall, we had a really nice time at this resort. Because of the so so reviews we read before coming, we were definitely nervous and preparing to be disappointed slightly. That was not the case! We were pleasantly surprised and very happy with our choice of resort. There were some things we absolutely loved & others we would suggest some improvements. The best way to explain is a breakdown:

Check in-
We arrived at 12pm and were greeted with a nice welcome drink (which i was hoping for!). Although check in went smoothly, we had to wait until 3pm to be able to actually get a key for our room. That was annoying, but to be expected since check in isnt until 3pm. We just explored and stayed on the beach until then... Not really a huge deal.

Room- 2nd floor room, building 3
This is where we were most disappointed. The room itself wasnt all that bad...average when compared with other resorts weve stayed at, although we have seen nicer. The problem was the bathroom! Very very old and seems not clean, even if it was. This made our time in the room (although not much time besides showering, sleeping, and a power nap) uncomfortable. At other all inclusives, even in DR, weve experienced great bathrooms that are much more modern and made our time in the room more pleasant. Please upgrade/ redo your old bathrooms barcelo!!! What we did love was there were NO bugs. Not only in the rooms, but we hardly saw any on the resort and did not have to wear bug spray at night as we usually do at other resorts. Also, our air conditioner worked amazing!!!! Very happy about that.

Maid service-
Our room was cleaned before 12pm each day. We would usually be out of the room by 945am. We tipped the maid $2 a day and left a thank you note along with a list of things we needed (more towels, water, etc) Our maid always left what we asked for and left us with a clean room each day. We defintely did not mind tipping since, as i said, cleanliness is important to us.

Pools/beach/grounds-
Beautiful!!! We loved every minute of it.. Sand was so white and soft at the beach, although there was alot of seaweed the week we stayed. Two days there was no seaweed and the water was the most gorgeous ive ever seen anywhere. For that reason we spent alot of time at the pool, whoch was also great. The best part were the lounges and small tables in the pool. We spent most of our time ordering drinks from the pool waitress while relaxing on the lounges. So convenient! Not sure if there is always wind at the resort, but the week we stayed it was quite breezy. Although it did keep you cool, it sometimes made the pool chilly when the clouds were out. One more thing about the beach... Although there are lots of small boats going by every few minutes (ex. Party boats/speed boats) my boyfriend i felt that it made the beach a little more upbeat since there was no resort music playing there. We enjoyed that. At the end of the resort on the left side, theres a market and a place to rent speed boats and book party boat tours. Alot of people seemed to be doing it and appeared to love it!! We didnt do a party boat, but did tubing for 15 min and it was one of our favorite parts of the vacation.

Drinks-
They were ok. I think weve had better, although they did the trick. The bartenders at the pool usually skimp out on the alcohol, but didnt mind at all if you said 'with mucho rum!'

Staff-
We were nervous since many people were expressing experiences with rude staff. In my opinion, if you are nice and respectful to them, they will reciprocate accordingly. We never once had a problem and thought everyone there treated us wonderfully!! We appreciate that so much. It was obvious the restaurant staff works very hard to keep things moving (cleaning tables, getting drink orders)If they were slow with a drink, not a big deal to us, as it was accepted for you to go to the bar in the restaurants to get your own drink. So what?

Food-
Ehh. We ate at buffets for lunch and breakfast. We were nervous to get sick, so stuck with the simplest of foods to avoid that. Breakfast was best. At lunch/dinner buffet there were lots of weird looking things, but we didnt even think to try them. We stuck with plain chicken and burgers and rice. Gets repetitive, but we thought those things were ok and didnt get sick which we were thankful for after stories we heard. We ate at steak house, chez gourmet restaurants. They were good, you just have to choose the right thing to order. Make all reservations the day you arrive for the week or it will be difficult to eat anywhere besides buffet, which you dont want to do!!

The palace-
We visited a few times as we can use both properties. We liked the more upbeat atmosphere even though there were alot of kiddies running around. Enjoyed the pool and pool bar there. Good music. The disco was huge and nice. Opens at 11. If you want a seat at the bar like we usually did, get there by 1115pm or there wont be any left all night. Lots of merengue music, wouldve been nice to hear a bit more american music, but it was obvious people were having funnn! Casino is nice. We checked it out but didnt really play, as we didnt see many people winning anything.

Train-
So useful! Especially at night for dinner. Comes every few minutes and made what would be a 15 or 20 minute walk from the room to the palace about a 5 minute ride.

I know this is a long review, but hope it helps! Overall, its important to learn some basic spanish and treat others as you would like to be treated. Be easygoing, afterall, youre on vacation :-) enjoy!

• Stayed: July 2012
14  Thank Tags070
Reviewed 23 July 2012

Everything is included in the Barcelo, but in the spa, everything is nickels & dimes. The fitness center is spacious but feels like a Courtyard motel fitness center. You can't use the showers when you use the FC unless you pay an extra $35 for the Hydration Package.

I'd asked the Barcelo expressly about using the FC, sauna and showers before I went and was told that was fine, only massage cost extra. The Spa staff wasn't helpful at all --

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank SCDriver
Reviewed 23 July 2012

My husband and I stayed at Barcelo Bavaro Beach Adults section for about a week at the beginning of July.
PEOPLE: Dominicans are very friendly and nice people. A lot speak a bit of English. But knowing Spanish would definitely be beneficial.
TOURISTS: The majority I would say are from Europe and South America. A lot of Russians. Not too many Americans and Canadians. Hardly any from Asia.
ROOMS: The first room we were given in build.3 on the 3 floor was nice but the bathtub was absolutely disgusting mostly yellow and rusted. So I asked the cleaning ladies that I saw outside if all rooms were like that (it's handy to speak Spanish). They showed us a vacant room next door and the bathroom was better (still far from what you would expect). They even called the reception and we moved into that room. The room was clean. The TV worked fine, it's just took us a while to figure out where the English channels were since they didn't match the numbers on the channel listing. It was very quiet with the exception of peacocks screaming early in the morning a couple of times.
FOOD: Food was OK, I'd say you won't go hungry. We found the buffet restaurant in the Deluxe part of the resort to have more variety, like some reviewers had mentioned earlier. We didn't go to the restaurants where you had to make reservations because my husband didn't bring long pants and shorts weren't allowed, which wasn't a big deal.
ENTERTAIN.:The entertainment was very poor. There was hardly anybody watching it. It would be so nice if they had locals singing, dancing wearing traditional costumes. I would love that. But instead they had some boring lip singing and harem dancing. The beach was very nice! This is one thing I liked the most. It is very long and very wide with plenty of palm trees that provided plenty of shade. The entertainment on the beach was better. Aerobic dances were pretty good.
SHOPPING: There were a lot of expensive shops in the Deluxe part of the resort. Nothing we don't have in the US. There was one gift shop in the adult section. They don't take cash at the gift shops. A lot of African souvenirs, considering the history. There is a local beach right next to the adult resort with a lots of little shops and anybody can go there. Prices there were better than at the resort for some common souvenirs. But not everything.
POOL: nice but hard to find a chaise in a shady spot. We spent only one day at the pool.
TRIPS: We went on a wonderful trip Mega Truck Safari with Olympus Tours. Visited local school (only two students were there "on duty" I guess). I am a teacher so that was very interesting to me. We drove quite a bit here and there in the province of La Altagracia, visiting local villages and the town of Higuey. There is a 500 year old church there and a big Cathedral. We saw sugar cane plantation and went to somebody's house higher in the mountains, probably stage, but interesting nevertheless. We visited a little cigar stand and the girl who rolled the cigars offered us some, which we couldn't resist, though neither one of us smokes. It was fun. We went horseback riding for about 20-25 min - it was very hot. Than we had Dominican lunch - simple, but tasty. We last stop was at the Macao Beach, the only public beach of the area - beautiful! We were back at the resort at about 5 PM. There was a bartender on our truck serving beer, coca-cola, sprite, water, rum drinks all the time. That was all included in the price which was about $90 per person. We loved this trip!
Overall we loved our stay, but probably wouldn't go back because there are so many other places to explore!

4  Thank svetsp
Reviewed 23 July 2012

The resort itself was huge, clean, beautiful, and had excellent beaches. The food was disgusting, and making dinner reservations was a painful process. The restaurants were always "booked," but they were more than half empty when we did get a reservation. Reservations were usually very late -- after 9pm, and be mindful that men must wear short sleeves and long pants! Otherwise, the service was excellent and people did not hound for tips. The drinks were so-so -- often cheap with the alcohol. Plenty of things to do without needing to leave the resort. Pack your own food because the selection, even in the restaurants, was rather disgusting and made us sick. The Beach side (Adults Only) had much nicer beaches and was more serene; however, it does not have the balcony jacuzzis (Junior Suites only). Overall, very accommodating staff and a good vacation, but I gave it 4 stars because the whole food situation was a major turn-off.

2  Thank Kristen F
Reviewed 21 July 2012

We stayed from the 13 - 20th and wanted to write this review as everything is fresh in our minds. We checked in and were given a room with 2 double beds in the 3rd building on the 3rd floor, which is not what I had requested. We wanted a king bed, so went back to reception and the guy was rude. Probably the only person we found rude. He said we couldn't get a king bed and put our name down for one that would come up in 2 days - pretty awful. He just was lazy and couldn't be bothered to look. So the 2nd days we went back to reception and complained loudly, we insisted on a King bed and they finally gave us one, again after insisting they give us one - it's almost like they are too lazy to go the extra mile for you (if we were Spanish, I don't think it would have been a problem - they do cater to their own kind). Unfortunatley, it was like pulling teeth, and the room was in the 2nd building, but on the 2nd floor. So you can hear the people above you pulling chairs around. They need to put pads on the bottom of their chairs. Because the floors are tiled, as people move the chairs, they are so loud and we were constantly woken up by them. The room itself was nice, nothing fancy, small balcony, but decent. Beds are very comfortable, A/C works perfect, food is just o.k., nothing spectular. By far the best part was the beach which is what we came for. The beach is beautiful, so many chairs, lots of shade, all by palm trees. You never need to worry you won't get a chair in the shade. It was great. We love the Adults only part of it, and if we wanted, we'd venture over to the Beach Palace where all the little kids were, but we didn't stay long (they had better drinks over there). It was beautiful though, but we enjoyed the quietness of the adults only section. We saw a lot of the Palace people (younger people), constantly on our side - probably to get away from the noisy kids The shows are not very good- especially in the Palace - so loud - you would think people were deaf. But all in all, it's o.k. I don't think we'll be back again until they do something about the food - we seem to always to get sick on something and my husband and I both got something, and most people we spoke to also got sick, so it's a common occurence I think. The hotel is pretty good value for money and we had the nicest stretch of beach on the part of the Bavaro beach so we got our money's worth. We went on a excursion, which I would tell people to stay away from - the Saona island one - it's not worth the $100.00 - the beach there was horrible and we were so disappointed.

Room Tip: Choose a room (if you can), on the 3rd floor so you don't have to hear the noise from people ups...
2  Thank JoanneV095