“Great Hotel for couples”

Barcelo Bavaro Beach - Adults Only
Ranked #26 of 110 Hotels in Punta Cana
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
“Great Hotel for couples”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2012

Was there last week in July. This hotel is beautiful, my boyfriend and I had a great trip. I HIGHLY recommend that you do the Club Premium, you will feel like a celebrity. I especially liked the Club Premium breakfast, it is separate from the "mass buffet" and it is more intimate which makes it really nice for a couples trip. There is a smaller food selection, but you and your partner will much more enjoy the time together, in my opinion. The best part of Club Premium was Naomi (i hope i spelled it right), she was friendly and a pleasure. My boyfriend and I missed her the most. She did a fantastic job. If you are doing a couple trip, use this hotel versus the Bavaro Deluxe. When you go over to the Bavaro Deluxe you will see why, it kids running around, and has more of a theme park feel, which in my opinion is not what I wanted for a couples trip. You do have to go over to the Deluxe for the dinners, but that is okay.

I had a great time, and I can't wait to go back!!!!!

Room Tip: Upgrade to beach view club premium
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Kemay_Atl

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,335)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2012

Reason I say do your research is because it really just depends what your looking for. We are in our mid-twenties so we wanted a lot of things. If you want access to all the restaurants, entertainment, but also be able to relax and be able to find a layout chair by the pool and beach then i recommend the Beach hotel. If you want to be where the crowd is at all the time, then Palace is your best bet. I suggest talking to other guests about their experiences. Half the people I met have been there several times and are able to recommend other hotels. As long as my room is clean and i am treated well I am satisfied, others are more picky. It was very hard choosing a hotel based on reviews because everyone is different. Some expect to get treated like kings and queens while on vacation but at the same time they take the "all-inclusive" part very seriously and for example do not tip! I did not have any negative experiences at this hotel. When checking-in they give you a 'guide' to what you do and do not have access and if your not sure then just ask.

-The pool: nice, closes early (6'ish), no swim-up bar, jacuzzi in the middle of the pool but the water is not hot. Towel service, bring your used one & turn it in for a clean one before heading back to your room. Pool tables near by and the buffet is right across from it.
-The beach: lovely, clean, no vendors and always found layout chairs.
-Entertainment: I don't know about the activities during the day by the pool/beach because we always slept in but there is no night entertainment. We went over to the Palace every evening which is a 5-8 minute walk or took the free train from the lobby (runs 'til 4am).
-Buffett: there's 2 at Beach (Caribe & La brisa) the food was good at both but we preferred La brisa and the view was lovely. You can go dress as you'd like but you cannot go topless, meaning you need to have a shirt on. There's 2 other buffets at the Palace you can choose from. We made all of our dinner reservations at the Palace.
-Customer service: The girl at the front desk always answered our questions. They called our room the first & second day to make sure we were pleased. The blow dryer burned by the second night & when i called for them to look at it he came about 20 minutes later. He must've came later that night after to replace it; luckily i had my straightener because I don't think they have any external ones.
-Guest services: open from 8-4pm, this is where you want to make dinner reservations (whether at the Beach or Palace hotel) and also where you can book excursions. Joanna from guest services was great and very helpful. Always made calls for us for the excursions, taxis and golf course.
-Room: clean, stocked, safe deposit box, slippers, bathrobes, hair dryer. We never met our cleaning lady so i'm not sure what time she cleaned the room but it had to be late afternoon. We had the standard room and after inquiring about an ocean-view we decided it would be too much money & since our vacation consisted of excursions we decided to stick to standard, well it was great because we had a view of the beach anyway (room 2077). Mini-bar always had sodas, water, juice, beer and some snacks (complementary).
-Location: airport is about 20 minutes away. It was not far out like other hotels (excellence & hard rock). Don Lucas Cigars is about 10-15 minutes away. The shopping centers are also at a reasonable distance. I think they said the Punta Espada Golf Course was about 30 minutes away.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
7 Thank Angie1987
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2012

is Hotel was good although we had minor problems with house keeping, First off let me start with the food the buffet food at our food was a 4 out of 5 but the buffet food at the main resort was a 5 out of 5. The hotel has a free train service that takes you to each of the 5 resorts including the golf course and spa which is awesome and runs on time and runs until 4 am!!. If you do decide to stay here i would recommend booking all your reservations for dinner at the various restaurants the first day you get there because it can be very very busy if you don't. The Mexican food was 5 star quality so was the seafood in the Marisco rest. The steak house was 4 star quality and so was the only restaurant on our resorts. FYI if your into Baby back ribs try the sports bar at lunch time its all you can eat. The casino was rather small and no one seemed to win anything. We stayed in a regular room but found it very large which was a plus, the bed was very comfortable and the balcony was beautiful. The fridge was filled with beer and soda and they even gave you snacks for free and restocked every time they cleaned. The hotel even offered tooth brush razors shaving cream and bath robes all complimentary with every room .House keeping is the only thing keeping this hotel from a 5 star rating in my books. When they clean they do a good job it was just waiting for them to clean which was the problem. On avg they would clean the room at 3 pm which i found unacceptable. The drinks at the bars were very good and the servants were excellent beyond words. Another problem was no free WIFI which sucked the wifi is 1 bucks for a day is super slow. My tip here would be to not buy from the Hotel they sell 3X the prices walk towards the end of the beach and you will see vendors who give you all the same perks and are dirt cheap. Dont forget negotiate everything with those vendors and you will come out with alot of stuff for cheap. One last thing is use a cab there only 28 bucks from the hotel to the airport and wont give you the headache thee companies give you. I used Preito tours and there were horrible beyond belief we even almost got left behind due to their lack of responsibility. I strongly recomend either taking a cab or using another form of transport.

• Stayed August 2012
3 Thank Jonobx198
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2012

I stayed at Barcelo Bavaro Beach from June 29-July 4, 2012. Before I selected this property I had read many of the reviews here on Tripadvisor. All of them weren't stellar but the good ones outweighed the bad ones so I opted to stay here. I'm really glad I did because we had a great time! Our entire objective was just to relax in paradise and that's exactly what this resort offered.

Below I summarized the good and the "not so good" based on my stay:

Good:
--The property was beautiful. I felt like I was on an island plantation :) There were tons of palm trees and interesting flowers. The grounds keepers were out daily so the grounds were always immaculate.
--The water was beautiful! There was quite a bit of seaweed though, but it wasn't enough to ruin our vacation.Plus that's just something you have to deal with when going to the beach!
--The rooms were clean and spacious. Our cleaning folks came everyday and did a great job. We didn't have to "bribe" them like some of the reviewers did. Of course you should tip for a job well done but don't think that leaving a daily tip is the only way to get your room cleaned!
--Some reviewers complained about the toilet/shower area, but we didn't have any problems with it. It was a little outdated but it was not bad by any means.
--We reserved all of our a la carte dinners the first day we arrived. The staff in guest services were very friendly and helpful. We were in and out in about 5 minutes. There was no problem at all!
-- It was good that we could utilize the amenities at the Palace resort.
-- The spa was amazing! You could go an hour before your treatment to utilize the hydrotherapy areas (shower, dry and steam sauna, and pools). After the hydrotherapy and my massage I was in a completely relaxed state. It was great!
-- NO KIDS!! I am so happy we didn't stay at the Palace because there were kids everywhere! The Beach was nice and quiet which is just what we wanted. The security guards did a pretty good job of keeping the kids off the property, but a few would sneak in. Especially on the beach. I guess the life guards were supposed to keep the kids off, but they couldn't see all the areas.

Not so Good
-- The food at the buffet was okay. It wasn't horrible, but I wish it was better than it was. The best options were the made to order stations, for both breakfast and lunch.
-- We ate all of our dinners at the a la carte. I was hoping they would be have better food than the buffets but that wasn't the case. The food was just okay.
-- The service really was pretty slow. As we were on vacation we were in a "go with the flow" state so we were never in a rush. But the slow service was still too much to take! I think this is an area Barcelo Bavaro needs to work on.
-- It was harder than I expected to find someone who spoke English! I was a little surprised. But at the same time I couldn't be too mad because DR is a Spanish speaking country :) It just gave me more motivation to learn more Spanish!
-- The shows were alright, but nothing to write home about. We saw the MJ show and Cats (at the Palace) and a magic show (at Beach). They were cool to pass the time and that's about it!

Overall, we had a great time! There were a few hiccups, but they weren't enough to ruin our good time!!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank MsWahine
Levittown, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2012

We just came back to NY from a beautiful 4 day vacation (just my husband and myself, leaving the little one home this time!) at Barcelo Bavaro Beach, Adults only section. I can't speak highly enough of how amazing this hotel was, it was beautiful, accomodating, spotlessly clean and so welcoming. We did the all-inclusive club premium package, which was a step up from the average package, but SOOOO worth it. We had ocean front room (stepped out the back door to the beach) and were able to eat at the buffets as well as the nicer resturants for meals... the french resturant (La Comedie) was DELICIOUS, (but we would suggest NOT to eat at the Coral seafood resturant, food is so/so there)...our room included a lovely bottle of champagne, fancy bottle of rum, and above and beyond service. The pools were spotless, the bars were a little crowded, but great. The most accomodating part of the trip was the club premium, private check in, welcome with champagne, and everything and anything you could need addressed by the mostly lovely staff, especially Aracelis, Mabel, Ana & Jazmin. The resort is so large (over 4000 rooms!) but they do handle it well with very frequent running train/trolleys between our section of the resort and the Palace deluxe. My husband enjoyed the golf course, and I enjoyed the spa services (also many of which were included in our package!) and we actually used the locals right next to the adult only side for a boat trip (about $140 for 2 people, 4 hours on a sail/catamaran, drinks, snorkeling, LOTS of fun)... Also, I have to say, I did not see one single mosquito or bug. I'm telling you (and I'm a clean freak), this place was SPOTLESS. GREAT JOB BARCELO BAVARO!!

***** one warning***** DO NOT USE _PRIETO TOURS_ TO GET TO AND FROM THE AIRPORT. THEY NEVER SHOWED UP TO RETURN US TO THE AIRPORT AND THIS WAS A SERVICE THAT WAS PREPAID FOR. THEY WANT YOU TO CHECK IN WITH THEM EVERY DAY TO "CONFIRM YOUR BUS RIDE" BUT THE TRUTH IS THEY WANT TO SELL YOU EXCURSIONS WHILE YOU'RE THERE. YOU CAN TAKE A TAXI FROM THE AIRPORT VERY SAFELY, AND FOR HALF THE PRICE. YOU CAN ALSO ARRANGE PICKUP AND DROP OFF THROUGH THE HOTEL.

We look forward to returning to this tropical paradise, and as for the hotel and the service, we wouldn't change a thing. We were treated like royalty.

Room Tip: it's worth it to pay the extra for the ocean front!!
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Melissa E
Tampa, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2012

I just arrived back in Tampa after a four day get away to the DR. We stayed at the Bacelo Bavaro Beach Adults only section.
Wow, what a great place. Although we had never really done an all inclusive before, and I was a little skeptical, we had the best time.
We only did the minimal all inclusove, but were able to enjoy just about everything that we could in 3-4 days.
We ate early and at lunch at the buffets, which we're a little different, being Americans, more European I would presume. But decent just the same.
Two night we at at different venues, and both were wuite good.
I think that best thing that I can say about the resort was how well we were treated. We understand that alot of what the staff gets is tips, but man, they treated us really good. I would have to say that if you can, stay in the 4000 rooms, as the staff there was the best, Nancy in particular...
Anyhow, what a great long weekend, and we for sure will be returning.
Scott

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Scott B
st. louis
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2012

My first trip to the Caribbean was fantastic. Spent the weekend with my mom and we had a nice time. This property is immaculate! The grounds were very well kept and very clean. The service at the premium was awsome. Aracelis, Mabel, Henrry and Joanna were so friendly and accomodating. The staff in general was great! Most speak some English or enough to get you where you need to go. The atmphere is very calm and relaxing. An all adult facility.So if u want more excitement travel between resorts was very easy. Never had to wait more than five minutes. one thing though was the food was just ok. we went offsite and ate at a plantation which was very good! one suggestion would be to have lawn seats on the deck - would have liked to sleep outside on the deck b/ cldnt b/c they just have regular chairs. also would suggest to have an adults only club on the beach property that plays salsa, merengue, soft rock, r&b and motown music.

Room Tip: Choose an ocean front room on third floor. the view was fantastic. Just wish the hotel would put...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family