“Excellent Hotel, very clean, great beach and good food”

Barcelo Bavaro Beach - Adults Only
Ranked #23 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Timisoara, Romania
“Excellent Hotel, very clean, great beach and good food”
Reviewed 19 December 2012

We stayed at Barcelo Bavaro Beach on December 2012 and we had the best holiday ever. This hotel is very clean, well organised and offers a lot of activites and entertainment. The food is very good and different every day. The hotel is very clean and the staff is polite and always willing to help you.

The beach and pool area is the best part(always clean very close to the hotel). White sand and cristal clear water.

We love this hotel, it is the best from Punta Cana.We had the best holiday ever and i strongly reccomend this hotel.

Room Tip: The rooms sector 1 offers a good pool,beach ,lobby and theatre view.
6 Thank Razvan O

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,388)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
senoia, GA, USA
Reviewed 18 December 2012

Was that Kenny G? I gotta say the piped music was pretty bad and annoying, and the dorado on the buffets was horrific, but I liked just about every single thing else. I guess that's because I've mainly been to resorts in the Bahamas (I think everybody there would really prefer to kill you), or Mexico, where nobody has any idea what I'm saying (Which is ok, I'm the tourist in their country who hasn't learned enough of their language). I thought the staff pretty much everywhere were friendly and accomodating and when I had a question or request it was honored.

Otherwise...

Food -

I thought the food in the Ala Cartes was OK (French), good (Steak House), Really great (Seafood resturaunt). I had read a review when researching that it was amazing that a caribbean resort doesn't know how to cook fish. They do in The Coral. It also had a salad bar that had endless stone crab claws and lobster (You can cross over from the steak house to raid this salad bar).

The buffets were good, nothing spectacular, but it had plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables and enough cooked stuff to get you through. And stone crabs!

The Grounds are fantastic, well land scaped and cleaned constantly. I saw one cup lying on the ground along the walk ways in 5 days.

The staff was polite and accomodating. Sometimes they didn't understand me, but I have a really thick southern accent, so they never had a chance. You had to ask for some stuff, but you got it every time.

The Spa- Loved the hydrotherapy area. Took the time each day to go and it was great. My only question is why no heat in the jacuzzi's? On the other hand the steam/sauna/contrast pool/assorted showers was something new for me, I don't know how I've lived without it, I don['t know how I'll struggle on.

The beach - Physically, as nice as you'll find just about anywhere. The palm trees are incredible and they're cleaning it all the time. Lots of activities like volleyball, aerobics, darts, bocce etc...Also, and I don't know if this is for all guests, but we got free access to the non motorized water sports. This mean's that I can now windsurf poorly and operate a catamaran at least passably. How awesome.

The casino - Small and really well run. The blackjack dealers were really fast and on the ball. They were a joy to watch operate if you appreciate that skill! One thing to watch, the dealers sit on soft 17 and don't show blackjacks immediately. My companion cleaned up on the slot machines. I don't think I've ever seen anybody win at slots, but she did!

We went to the floor show at the Palace, it was different and kinda fun, also gave me my title for this review. Missed out on Bavaro Beach show deal till the last night which was a comedy show.

We did use the club premium. I think it was well worth it. Research it on your own, but the late check out and the 7, counte 'em 7 each 10 dollar coupons I got to gamble with was good enough for me, yet there are many other elements, you owe it to yourself to check it out. Oh, and you get a bottle of Ron...Barcelo~

I think this is a great place, I will be happy to return next year and make sure I make it to a Bavaro baseball game.

Room Tip: We had the upgraded room that comes with Club Premium. It is beachside, but I think we got one of t...
8 Thank Fattuna2
Nanaimo, BC, Canada
Reviewed 17 December 2012

We stay there few days last week in the ocean front room.(Premium area)# 2079 Master suite fairly new.It was very clean two fridge full of drinks and fill everyday. We also have two showers and a jacuzzi in our rear balcony. This hotel is very clean the food excellent we highly reommend it. The Staff is very nice aways ready to help. Check in and check out perfect.

Room Tip: Get the new section
2 Thank Daniel R
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Reviewed 17 December 2012

I don't understand the people's review of The Bavaro Beach Hotel in Punta Cana. What as saved our vacation is that we had access to the Bavaro Palace De luxe. There is no comparaison with the beach. The restaurants are remarquables. Here at the beach it is below normal. Mind you the Golf is great and the beach is awsone and quiet...but we had to suffer Kenny G's chrismass album playing in loop all day: at breakfast, lunch, dinner, stores, rest area, lobby.... One record obly that can get you crazy by playing the same all the time. I know a lot of travel agents are pushing this resort. Hope they find out that this is below everything I experience in Punta Cana.

Room Tip: go to the Bavaro Palace de luxe if you want to come to the Barcelo. It is huge, but everything is a...
5 Thank Jean R
Shillington, Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed 16 December 2012

If you want to sit on a beautiful beach and relax...... this resort is for you! We just got back and had an amazing time. The resort looks just like the photos. The ambiance of this resort is a lot of fun. The grounds and beach are very pretty. I agree that the food is mediocre. But a vacation is what you make of it. We read the previous reviews so we knew the food wasn't good and dealt with it. My goal was to sit on the beach all day anyway not pig out. Since we went during the off season I never had an issue finding a beach chair or waiting in line for a drink. I also liked the fact that you could use the other resort. We went on the paddle boats and used the fitness center. The activities staff were a lot of fun they had yoga, dancing, and volleyball every day on the beach.

Tips

Food- The ambiance of the food is deceiving. Some of the food looks so good but you bite into it and its only ok. Not many flavors to anything. Plus they have a lot of food for the Europeans not Americans. Stick with the basics for example I had waffles or french toast, bacon, eggs, fresh pineapple, and fresh mangos every day for breakfast. Then for lunch I had steamed veggies, fresh fruit, turkey and cheese sandwich, or pizza (one day they had steamed shrimp). For dinner we went to the a la carte restaurants. I stuck with the pasta dishes and didn't have a problem. Also I was worried about the coffee ( I drink starbucks) but they have an espresso machine at the bars:-)

Staff- Like anywhere you go there are people that love their jobs and people that hate their jobs. If I smiled at a staff member and they smiled back I knew they were willing to help. If I smiled at someone and they didnt smile back I did not go back to that person. The activities staff are a lot of fun and the bartenders seemed fine.

Language- The staff speaks Spanish and a little English. But Rum is rum in any language. If you have any issues just ask guest service. They spoke pretty good English and helped us out. Also remember there are more Europeans there than Americans. Lots of Russian and French speaking people.

Beach- There is a dolphin habitat right in front of the beach so there isnt a full clear view of the ocean but still pretty. It looks like there is a floating dock in the middle of the water.

Rooms- Rooms are fine. There are cards around the room explaining what you have to do if you want new sheets or towels. Make sure you read them or you'll never get new towels. Make sure you put the do not disturb sign on the door. We had maids knocking on the door at 7:50 one morning because we forgot. There is a free mini bar full of water, beer, soda, and juice.

Excursions- If you booked an excursion or shuttle at 9:00 make sure you are there 8:40-9:15 right in front. The drivers stop for 5 seconds to jump out of the bus, wave the sign, and jump back in. If you are not there they do not wait for you.

Vendors- There are vendors down the beach. Make sure you check the prices at the hotel gift shop then go to the vendors. They kept telling me that they were cheaper than the hotel and they weren’t.

When I booked this resort it said 4 stars so we did not have 5 star expectations and for the average joe this resort is priced well and is great for couples who don't want to be around kids and want to relax. Never saw anyone get loud and rowdy sooooooo relaxing!

4 Thank Tanya N
Lubbock, Texas
Reviewed 12 December 2012

My wife and another friend couple of ours stayed at Barcelo Bavaro in Punta cana back in August. We spent over $4,000 which was a little over our budget but we thought "what the heck, it'll be nice". We were wrong. The resort is so huge and there's so many people there we ran into all kinds of problems. They didn't explain to us how the dinner situation worked, you have to schedule your whole week of dinners the first day and pray that the resteraunts have the time you prefer or your stuck eating really early or really late. The food was not that great but we kind of expected that going in after reading other reviews. Apparently they had some kind of tropical storm a few weeks before and there was seaweed everywhere and the ocean looked more like a lake than a 5 star beach. The rooms were bad too, we couldn't see the ocean from our "ocean view" suite which we paid extra for because we weren't faceing the ocean. We had to lean over our balcony and look right to catch a glimpse of blue between all the palm trees. Also, the bathrooms are basicaly part of the room itself. They have stalls and you can actually see the person in the shower or on the toilet...we went with another couple so obviosuly we couldn't hang out in each others rooms cause it was awkward if somebody had to go. Our room wa very far away from everything and it literally got exhausting walking back and forth from our room to the beach or to dinner or whatever. The service wasn't great, we know how to travel and usually if you tip the staff pretty good early they will treat you a little better and keep an eye on you. Not the case here, I tipped our bartender at the adult pool with our favorite bar $20 the first day and he could have cared less. The drinks or watered down and took forever. The buffet was by the worse and good like trying to get a refill of water during dinner. I would give this place a 3 out of 10. We've stayed at places 10 times better for half the price. You always meet fun people on vacation and the general concensus was the same, this place, while grand and nice looking from the lobby, was trash. I def recommend staying somewhere else in Punta Cana.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
7 Thank cadechastain
Tarporley
Reviewed 12 December 2012

Having visited DomRep three times before I thought it would make the ideal venue for a sunshine and golfing holiday with my wife, golfing chum and his wife. With the help of my friendly Travel Counsellor Sue Verrall we researched numerous hotels seeking an all-inclusive, adults only, five star resort that included golf. After several weeks we all agreed that the Barcelo Bavaro Beach Adults only section Club Premium option fitted our requirements. We booked our flights with Thomson separately and upgraded to Economy Plus and reserved our booking at the hotel via our credit card. As all this had taken place earlier in the year we entitled to a 20% discount, which was very nice, additionally we did not have to pay for the hotel until we arrived. The actual two week holiday was taken between 26/11/12 and 10/12/12 On first seeing this venue you will now believe how huge it is. It must stretch for over half a mile. The adults only section is basic in the extreme. Whilst the pool and the beach are outstanding the buffet restaurant the bar and seating areas are all open. The only enclosed area to sit and have a drink the restricted Club Premium Lounge. As part of the Club Premium package we were allocated ocean front rooms. The view was amazing and the rooms had had partial renovation - flat screen tv coffee machine fridge hair dryer and large comfy beds. BUT the bathrooms clearly had not enjoyed to same refurb they are very tired and 3 star at best. Through the very helpful staff in the Club Premium reception we were able to book all the restaurants that we need at no extra cost. The French and the Gourmet are far and away the best with the Japanese 'show cooking' and the Spanish close behind. The Golf Club was also excellent for breakfast, lunch and evening meal with waitress service all day. The Italian and the Steakhouse were very disappointing The seafood was just OK only. All of them served a variety of wines none particularly good. The bars and lounges in Deluxe section of the Hotel are far superior to the adult bit and as this is where most of the restaurants are at least you can sit on comfort and enjoy good quality premium drinks like Bombay Sapphire gin. The regular road train is ideal to get around the site and the gardens are impressive. Whilst we were there they turned on the Christmas lights - each tree is wrapped in them, there must be millions!
We played golf seven times but did have some difficulty getting any time to play between 9am and 12.30pm nobody could or would not explain why. The course was good and a good challenge for me and my golfing pal. Strangely for a hotel of this standard all of us suffered upset tummies with my golfing partner hit the worst for four days. The staff and their service can be very hit and miss with their language being very limited. The good ones were very good the rest were poor.
Additionally if you are considering going be aware that our 'friends' from Eastern Europe have clearly discovered the great value that this Island represents. We have all travelled extensively and I have never come across such gross bad behaviour, ignorance and sheer greed as we witnessed on this trip. All in all rather disappointed with the general standard of this part of the complex, I am sure we would have had a better trip staying in the De Luxe section on the Club Premium basis of even the accommodation that is attached to the Golf Club House.

Room Tip: The Ocean view rooms have fabulous views but be careful which part you select. As I have said in my...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends