“would never go back”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Edmonton, Canada
“would never go back”
Reviewed 29 December 2012

This was my first tropical holiday and the only good part of this resort was the beach. We stayed in the Adults only area and the beaches were never overcrowed and always kept clean. I would never go back and if I could I would ask for my money back. The food was horrible and was hungry for most of the week we were there. We tried a couple of the al a carte restaraunts and was disgusted. The steak I'm sure was not beef from the steak house and the seafood one was just as bad. I was looking so forward to the seafood at this resort but our cheap Red Lobster in Canada is a thousand times better. I realized half way through the stay that they just wipe out your room glasses with rags and the sheets were only changed 1 time it was disgusting. Its hot and humid so you sweat at nite so clean sheets daily would have been nice. We just about had to beg for clean towels on a daily basis. The language barrier is incredible even at the front desk we had difficulties communicating what we needed it was very frustrating. After realizing how they cleaned our room I looked at utensils before eating and everytime for 4 days I had to wipe them off with my napkin before eating it was gross having to clean your utensils before eating every meal. We tipped for every drink and meal but that did not improve our service so I would not waste your money tipping at this resort. We only did one excursion because I was so disgusted with the garbage EVERYWHERE outside of the resort. We went on the dune buggies and ended up going through mud that was mixed with their sewage waste running into ditches and were bombarded by peddlers at every stop which was very annoying and took away from the whole excursion. Do not waste your money we spent 4500 to stay 1 week here and I have never felt so ripped off before. I will never travel there again and will tell everyone I know not to go there. We are both still sick from our stay there which makes it even worse. We had a noon check out and our bus didnt come to pick us up until 6 pm which was very inconvient they leave your luggage sit out in the front lobby for 6 hours unless you insist on it being but into a luggage room. This is suppose to be a 4 star hotel in canada the food and service and rooms would be a 2 star in Canada I'm pretty sure the budget hotel in Canada is cleaner than the rooms at this resort. The drinks had maybe half ounce of booze in them but no more. What a waste of money!
Being Canadian we are sometime over polite so it was stunning to see and experience how rude some peope were 4 out of 5 of the french speaking tourist were extremely rude I dont even know how to discribe the level of rudness.

11 Thank Sandi R

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,349)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed 28 December 2012

There was a long lineup of tourists when we arrived at the airport. It took 2 hours from getting off the plane to leaving the airport on the bus. After a week at the resort, these are my main observations:

The good:
• Fresh towels and drink upon arrival at the resort, and small bottle of rum in the room as promised by Transat
• Quiet, compact and clean resort, beautiful beach
• Clear blue water (some weeds, but not enough to bother); the beach was cleaned every day
• Nice pool area, with water beds; sometimes hard to get chairs by the pool but apparently the resort was 100% booked
• There are a few sun beds available for early risers
• On Christmas Eve and Christmas Day, The Grinch and Santa Claus visited the beach posing for photos. Santa even gave away some small gifts. This was fun.
• Plenty of comfy chairs and sofas in the lobby and the lobby-bar
• Less bugs than in other tropical locations (but saw a couple of roaches in the room)
• Christmas dinner was very good
• Very good real fresh juices (orange, grapefruit, melon, watermelon) and milkshakes every morning
• Coffee machines dispensing specialty coffees (cappuccino, mochaccino etc.) at the buffet; usually long lineups
• Good dessert station, especially the crepes (served by friendly Gabriel)
• Amazing carvings decorated the buffet area
• Had a la carte dinners at the Steakhouse and Chez Gourmet, and they were both good
• Friendly staff everywhere
• Management walks around all the time to check and make sure everything is ok
• There are pool tables and tennis tables available
• There is a church on site (at the Palace Deluxe side)
• The walkway to the Palace is covered all the way – this was much appreciated as it rained for quite a bit

Could be better:
• Could use some plastic tables on the beach
• Tubs plugged; stayed in 2 different rooms, and the drains didn’t work in either one; by the time you are done with the shower, you stand in soapy water over your ankles
• Little variation in food from day to day; tried the buffet at the Palace Deluxe one evening, and it seemed better
• Did not receive good service at La Brisa restaurant
• Entertainment is weak
• Drinks don’t have much alcohol
• Couldn’t make the remote control for the TV work, even after getting new batteries
• Housekeeping not great, even with tips left in the room every day

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
7 Thank electronicpaper
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 21 December 2012

I don't even know where you begin, from the moment we arrived at the hotel we were greeted with amazing kindness! We had no issue checking in and every single person was willing to help us with WHATEVER we needed. The hotel itself is as perfect as the pictures portray it! From the tall mesmerizing palm trees, the crystal clear water and soft white sand, to the optimistic and grateful staff. Miguel the one man show always keeps the energy going! Yissell Esmeralda at guest services was absolutely a pleasure to deal with and made us feel at home. Abrahan at the La Brisa restaurant gave us a night to remember with one of our favourite A'la Carte dinners. Once again great service and a great atmosphere with a gourmet dinner right in front of the ocean. Everyone plays a vital role in making this resort an amazing vacation from the front desk staff, bartenders, maids, servers, cooks, security, lifeguards, and entertainers. This is definitely recommended for couples and friends! We can not wait to go back again and again!!

11 Thank Meghan C
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed 19 December 2012

My husband and I traveled to Barcelo Bavaro Beach for 5 nights. We loved it! We are already considering returning with a group of friends in the spring. For the price (we spent about $1,200 USD per person - after Premium upgrade - for hotel and flight), it is an exceptional value.

FYI: When I refer to my experience here, I intermix Beach (adults only) with Premium Deluxe (families), 2 separate but sister resorts. Since Beach guests get full access to Premium Deluxe, it was really like one big resort. They are all located on the same vast grounds so you can barely tell when you move from the central Premium to the Beach area towards the end.

When you book: Upgrade to an oceanfront room. The view was amazing, the breeze when we opened the door was wonderful and you get extra perks (free dinner at the French specialty restaurant at Palace Deluxe, special guest services, free massage, and on and on).

Rooms: We stayed in the 6000 Beach block on the 2nd floor. They are a tad outdated but clean and the bed is comfortable. Honestly, the average-ness of the rooms is my biggest complaint and that's mute because we barely spent any time in the room since the resort is so gorgeous and had so much to do.

Food: The food here is a lot better than most all-inclusives. Lots of choices. Favorite was the fresh pasta bar at the buffet on the Beach side and La Comedie (French restaurant) on the Palace side which you get free if you upgrade your room to Premium. If you like coffee (or cigars or rum) definitely visit the Coffee, Cigar, Rum lounge.

Beach: AMAZING! Since it's on a lagoon the waves are soft, the sand is perfect, the water so blue. Seriously one of the most beautiful, serene beaches I've seen.

Pools: Some of the cleanest I've seen and lots of them.

Activities: Lots to do. Free ocean kayaking and mini catamaran/sailboating by yourself. Dancing and aerobics on the beach. Volleyball on beach. Minigolf, lasertag, waterpark, disco, shows. It's all included. Plenty of things to do if sunbathing isn't your thing - but it's not overwhelming, in your face, which is nice.

Grounds: Pristine. Absolutely amazing. Beach (adults only) side is relaxing and quieter but still fun and Palace (families) side is bustling and energetic. People complain about the vastness of the resort but we liked it. It was a 7 minute stroll from where most all the attractions were at Palace to our room at Beach (much needed after all the food we ate). If you have problems walking or kids, get a room at Palace close to the pool. Very safe, never had a question about my safety.

Service: Service at the bars is just fine considering these people don't work for tips. The drinks are weak (spike your drink with the bottle of rum you get free in your room if you upgrade to Premium) - but it's like this in most all-inclusives. We liked the margaritas and beer the best. The staff is always friendly and helpful. Just don't expect them to get you a drink at the drop of the hat - they don't work for tips. And the specialty restaurants could have slow services sometimes, but that was because they were packed. But again, the staff was helpful, respectful and friendly.

Room Tip: Upgrading to an oceanfront room, in my opinion, is worth it. You get extra perks, too. We stayed i...
12 Thank RoamingRed
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed 19 December 2012

My husband and I just returned from our long-awaited honeymoon. We have never stayed on a resort before and had no reason to leave. Barcelo was so clean, friendly, beautiful and more! The only thing that bothered my, but not my husband was the noise you could hear from adjacent rooms and the hallway- nothing a sleep aid couldn't take care of though... There also were no hot tubs- but that could be normal in the DR? The food was pretty good, they use only bottled water and the staff was great!

Room Tip: We stayed in the Adults only because we were on our honeymoon and we had an ocean view and king bed...
6 Thank Maggie M
Timisoara, Romania
Reviewed 19 December 2012

We stayed at Barcelo Bavaro Beach on December 2012 and we had the best holiday ever. This hotel is very clean, well organised and offers a lot of activites and entertainment. The food is very good and different every day. The hotel is very clean and the staff is polite and always willing to help you.

The beach and pool area is the best part(always clean very close to the hotel). White sand and cristal clear water.

We love this hotel, it is the best from Punta Cana.We had the best holiday ever and i strongly reccomend this hotel.

Room Tip: The rooms sector 1 offers a good pool,beach ,lobby and theatre view.
6 Thank Razvan O
senoia, GA, USA
Reviewed 18 December 2012

Was that Kenny G? I gotta say the piped music was pretty bad and annoying, and the dorado on the buffets was horrific, but I liked just about every single thing else. I guess that's because I've mainly been to resorts in the Bahamas (I think everybody there would really prefer to kill you), or Mexico, where nobody has any idea what I'm saying (Which is ok, I'm the tourist in their country who hasn't learned enough of their language). I thought the staff pretty much everywhere were friendly and accomodating and when I had a question or request it was honored.

Otherwise...

Food -

I thought the food in the Ala Cartes was OK (French), good (Steak House), Really great (Seafood resturaunt). I had read a review when researching that it was amazing that a caribbean resort doesn't know how to cook fish. They do in The Coral. It also had a salad bar that had endless stone crab claws and lobster (You can cross over from the steak house to raid this salad bar).

The buffets were good, nothing spectacular, but it had plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables and enough cooked stuff to get you through. And stone crabs!

The Grounds are fantastic, well land scaped and cleaned constantly. I saw one cup lying on the ground along the walk ways in 5 days.

The staff was polite and accomodating. Sometimes they didn't understand me, but I have a really thick southern accent, so they never had a chance. You had to ask for some stuff, but you got it every time.

The Spa- Loved the hydrotherapy area. Took the time each day to go and it was great. My only question is why no heat in the jacuzzi's? On the other hand the steam/sauna/contrast pool/assorted showers was something new for me, I don't know how I've lived without it, I don['t know how I'll struggle on.

The beach - Physically, as nice as you'll find just about anywhere. The palm trees are incredible and they're cleaning it all the time. Lots of activities like volleyball, aerobics, darts, bocce etc...Also, and I don't know if this is for all guests, but we got free access to the non motorized water sports. This mean's that I can now windsurf poorly and operate a catamaran at least passably. How awesome.

The casino - Small and really well run. The blackjack dealers were really fast and on the ball. They were a joy to watch operate if you appreciate that skill! One thing to watch, the dealers sit on soft 17 and don't show blackjacks immediately. My companion cleaned up on the slot machines. I don't think I've ever seen anybody win at slots, but she did!

We went to the floor show at the Palace, it was different and kinda fun, also gave me my title for this review. Missed out on Bavaro Beach show deal till the last night which was a comedy show.

We did use the club premium. I think it was well worth it. Research it on your own, but the late check out and the 7, counte 'em 7 each 10 dollar coupons I got to gamble with was good enough for me, yet there are many other elements, you owe it to yourself to check it out. Oh, and you get a bottle of Ron...Barcelo~

I think this is a great place, I will be happy to return next year and make sure I make it to a Bavaro baseball game.

Room Tip: We had the upgraded room that comes with Club Premium. It is beachside, but I think we got one of t...
8 Thank Fattuna2