“Cheap Caribbean (CC) and Barceló Bavaró Beach Resort (All Inclusive),”

Barcelo Bavaro Beach - Adults Only
Ranked #26 of 111 Hotels in Punta Cana
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
“Cheap Caribbean (CC) and Barceló Bavaró Beach Resort (All Inclusive),”
Reviewed 3 June 2013

We were first timers for Cheap Caribbean (CC) and Barceló Bavaró Beach Resort (All Inclusive), however as couple in the 55-65 group who has traveled and lived internationally well-seasoned travelers. The CC agent was polite and professional handling questions and travel arrangements as well as follow-up e-mail. The CC agent somewhat pushed us into staying 8 days instead of our originally planned 7 days, pointing out the extra day would make us eligible for extra redeemable discount coupons for room upgrades, meal, and services.
We wanted the Jr. Suite and the CC agent told us the extra days made us available for a $400 Jr. Suite Voucher, however he would not be able to do it but all we had to do is present the coupon upon check-in. This turned out to be a classic “Bait & Switch”, as upon check-in we were told all Jr. Suites were occupied and in 2 days we could change our room in the golf course section to a Jr. Suite… no problem! Day 3 turned out to be a day that I not forget, as the front desk indicated that all Jr. Suites were considered ocean view, yes the $400 coupon was redeemable, and surprise surprise the Jr. Suite required another $1,200 in addition to the coupon and they pointed out the fine print on the coupons that we were issued after checking-in. Classic Bait & Switch and in my view both CC and Barceló should probably share the responsibility in this shameful & dishonest ruse and we didn’t reward this behavior with more of our money.
Barceló Bavaró Beach Resort rates as the top of our list in the 4-5 Star category. RESORT: professional impeccable STAFF: professional friendly courteous extremely well trained ROOM: updated clean great maids A/C excellent BEACH & POOL: great choice of pools & bars beach was well cleaned and well groomed.
RESTAURANTS: The trick of the restaurants is too immediately after check-in reserve a table at each restaurants for your total stay, as the reservation systems is total mess. We tried to book at several restaurants at a specific time and were told they were completely booked or not available for our time. We took the time and looked in at restaurants we were told were booked and at least 20% of the tables were vacant. Not sure what the issue is, however it’s a mess and frustrating and can be mitigated by booking at all restaurants after checking-in. BUFFET: Good to above average choices & quality FRENCH: Good $20 surcharge each with voucher SPANISH: Very good JAPANAISE: Excellent MEXICAN: Excellent ITALY: Excellent STEAKHOUSE: Excellent SEE FOOD: Average to poor MEDITERRANEAN: N/A SPORTS BAR: Average to poor.
We will definably go to another Barceló property in the future as the staff and property impressed us. The poor practice of Bait & Switch by both Barceló front desk & Cheap Caribbean staff by will surely cause many to leave with a bad experience, however we will have our eyes open and will require written confirmation of all verbal promises before booking.
Jeff

2 Thank jeff270
Director Samuel J, General Manager at Barcelo Bavaro Beach - Adults Only, responded to this review, 19 June 2013
Dear guest,
We thank you for choosing Barceló Bávaro Beach for your holidays and for sharing your experience with the online community and give us your feedback.
Thank you very much for all your comments regarding to our resort.
I have read thoroughly your comments because they are very important for us as a responsible and professional hotel chain. On behalf of all our team, we would to extend our most sincere apologies for any difficulties you may have experience during your stay. For us it is very important the experience our guest have about their stay with us. I accept your feedbacks for continuous improvement in a future stay.
Barceló and its team are working very hard to improve our service on the daily basis.
As with any business like ours, the greatest advertising we can have is word of mouth from a satisfied customer. It’s our goal to retain you as a satisfied customer and will hope to serve you again in the future.
Director

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,366)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Maspeth, New York
Reviewed 2 June 2013

Just returned from five nights at the adults only part of the resort and overall am very satisfied.

Pros: THE BEACH AND PROPERTY ARE BEAUTIFUL. I mean, perfect. I could have laid on that beach and by the pool all day long. No problem with finding chairs whatsoever, and no people being in your face or annoying. There was also plenty to do without even taking any excursions off the resort. Pool tables, ping pong, chess, mini golf and a golf course at the "sister" resort (Barcelo Bavaro Palace Deluxe, just a few minute shuttle "train" ride away), shops, the spa, you name it. They had activities during the day that we didn't really participate in but were fun to watch too--dancing, water aerobics, etc. There were hilarious silly/pretty bad shows every night that we loved to laugh at but kept us entertained. Drinks were yummy and plentiful :)

Cons: The rooms. Decent enough, but the bathrooms are TINY and in serious need of upgrade. Was NOT thrilled with the room (it skeeved me a little--saw TWO roaches in five nights), but hey, we had a nice view of the pool, had air conditioning that worked, and the beds were comfortable. Next, the food. For buffet, pretty decent. It DID make us sick to our stomachs pretty much every day though. Not the best quality, but what else can you really expect? I did like the variety they offered: we ate at a different beautifully decorated restaurant every night and still didn't visit them all. Can't really complain but it really was just "meh" food for the most part. Finally, service. Everyone was very pleasant, but not very helpful at all. Most people BARELY spoke any English so they never understood us when we asked a question or had a simple request. Luckily we are very low maintenance people, because we would have had a rough time otherwise. Also mildly annoying was that upon checking in we asked for one king bed (we had two double beds which makes no sense for a couple), and they couldn't accommodate us. Asked us if we want someone to come into the room to push the beds together. I said yes, no one came. So we did it ourselves the next day. Unfortunately the floors are tile, so the beds kept shifting apart. Not great....oh, and you have to pay for wifi. We decided to cut ourselves off from the world for a week instead!

Anyway, I do think that it is worth it to visit this resort at least once. They try so hard to keep it beautiful, and maybe the more expensive rooms are nicer. I was willing to look past mediocre food because I had such a relaxing and great time overall. Tanned and ready to return to work!

Room Tip: I'd say go for the more expensive rooms...they might be nicer.
3 Thank Rangerholic
Director Samuel J, General Manager at Barcelo Bavaro Beach - Adults Only, responded to this review, 30 June 2013
Forest City, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 2 June 2013 via mobile

Last year we stayed at the Palace and this year decided to stay at the adults only Bavaro Beach side. Check in was very quick and easy. We had requested a room area before arrival and we were given those rooms. The beach and pool are so beautiful and everything is always so clean. We did not have a bad meal the entire trip. The service was great! Around the pool there was always someone asking you if you needed a drink. We can't wait to start planning our trip back next year!

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank Jamie M
Director Samuel J, General Manager at Barcelo Bavaro Beach - Adults Only, responded to this review, 18 June 2013
Dear guest,
Thank you very much for all your comments regarding to our resort. We are very pleased to know you enjoyed all services in our resort especially our Restaurants and our wonderful beach highlighting the friendliness of our employees.
Thanks for choosing us as a destination for you stay.

Middletown, New Jersey
Reviewed 31 May 2013

This was my 4th trip to DR, I have now stayed at 3 different places, the rason I decided to try this place was were I usualy go it was too expensive for 1 week. I was quite surprised, I ate at the buffet each night and it was pretty good for a buffet enought variety etc.. The staff was great very friendly people and helpful. The rooms were clean and the mni bar was always stocked. I was in a room far away from the entrance which was nice it was quiet, relaxing. The beaches were cleaned 3 times a day and they were great.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Mike S
Dear guest,
Thanks for choosing us as a destination for you stay.

Irvine, California
Reviewed 30 May 2013

I just returned from this resort last night. We were two couples who stayed there for 4 nights. Before I go into detail, I want to share that we are big travelers and have alot of experience with all inclusive resorts, however this was our first time visiting DR. The resorts that we have previously been to were all in Mexico.

We upgraded to the club premium level (not for the room, just for the services). It was probably worth it because we took full advantage of the WIFI access and the A la cart restaurants that we didn't have to pay extra for.

Room: the rooms were nice. They were very spacious. As everyone else mentioned, the bathroom and showers def need an upgrade but they were good enough. Also, even though we didn't pay for ocean view, both rooms we got had a nice partial ocean view and pool view.

Club Premium Services: the club premium staff were all very friendly and helpful. Thanks to Joanna, Ricky, and Jasmine who all tried to make our stay as comfortable as possible.

Beach: the beach was the best beach I've been to. Better than Cancun. The color is a beautiful light Turquoise color, the sand is white and soft, the water is calm and warm, there are plenty of chairs on the beach, and there are beautiful palm trees on the sand, all up and down the beach. This is where we spent most of our time.

Pool: we didn't use the pool much but it was very nice. They didn't have hot jacuzzis which was kind of strange.

Spa: we only used the spa once. We went there to take advantage of our free premium access to the wet and dry sauna and hydrotherapy showers which we enjoyed.

Overall service: I would have to stay that the overall service at the resort was slightly below average. Its not that the staff wasn't helpful. They were all very friendly. It was a management issue really. This hotel has many RULES and they will not budge in order to provide you with the simplest service. For example we had free 24 hour room service due to our club premium status. However, when we called to get coffee in our room at 5 pm, we were told we could only get coffee in the morning!!! When we would order bread for breakfast, we were told they didnt have it but we had eatten it the day before! Or they would bring us the wrong items. Lots of inconsisitencies. Lots of times, the items on the menue were not available. When we called at 11 pm to order food, there was only 2 items available to order. You can not claim to offer 24 hour room service and then refuse to bring certian food items or only offer such limited service. That's just poor service in my openion. Also, they didn't have pool/beach food service. You had to go into a restaurant (buffet) for lunch. That again, to me, is poor resort service!

Food: this would have to be our biggest complaint. I would give it a 3 star at best for food. I'm not sure if only the food at Barcelo was poor or if all food in DR is not to our standards. Disclaimer: we live in CA and we do alot of fine dining. However we have visited all inclusive resorts before and this one had the worst food by far. Perhaps the food wasn't bad but just that it was so different than what we are used to. To us, the food was bland, didn't have much flavor, and everything was overcooked. First night we went to La Comedie. This was very average. Not great, not bad either. The second night we went to Kyoto, the japanese restaurant. This was definitly the best food we had. Everything was overcooked but it was still yummy. We all enjoyed it. We sat at the table where they cook in front of you and that was fun! The third night we went to the Italian, Le Dolce. This was average as well. One of the entres was very very good though. The last day we went to Hole 19 on the golf course. Again eveyrthing was average. My hamburger, however, was horrific to say the least. I have never seen beef in that color and in that texture before. And I did get an upset stomach and slight nautia that night which I'm convinced was due to the burger! The room service food was also average or below average. We had breakfast twice at the the Carrib buffet which was decent. The other two days we ordered spa breakfast in our room and we actually enjoyed that more! Even though we are picky with food I guess, we still didn't let it ruin our trip.

Drinks: there are no premium drinks in this resort. The cocktails they make are very sweet. But if you like sweet drinks, then you'll be fine.

Language: there really is a slight language barrier if you don't speak any spanish so if you don't speak any Spanish, you might want to take a little dictionary with you. We were fine because one of our friends was fluent in Spanish. But the staff really did try to make us happy. It wasn't their fault if they weren't allowed to break the rules or if the food was not good. My boyfriend stayed at Barcelo in Cabo and he said the food was good there so I think maybe DR just has different taste buds and different style of cooking that we are not used to.

So overall, would I go back to Punta Cana? Yes. Would I go back to this resort? No, I wouldn't. It just wasn't a 4 star or a 4.5 star in my openion...but the beach was beautiful!!!

2 Thank Salmira J
Thank you very much for all your comments regarding to our resort.
Thank you for your feedback about our employees, it makes us feel very proud to do this job for you. Thanks for choosing us as a destination for you stay.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 30 May 2013

My husband and I went here for our honeymoon at the end of April. We loved it! We could walk our of our room and be on the beach! The ocean water was pristine, hardly any waves and so relaxing!

The hotel was only about 20 minutes from the airport which was a perk because we both hate when you have a long drive after air travel. The wait staff was always kind and friendly. The bartenders on the family side were a little more heavy handed which seemed backwards, but we still had a good time regardless of which bar we were at :)

The food in the buffets was fair, but the food in the ala carte restaurants was much much better. We booked the adults only side so we didn't have to be faced with kids splashing us in the pool and whatnot, but honestly we could have stayed over on the family side and have been just as happy because the pools were so big!

I would definitely stay here again. Two things though, make sure to pack your own toiletries. They are very expensive in the hotel shop (i.e. $20 US for 1 bottle of sunscreen - ouch). Also, the bathrooms could use an update, but other than that, it was truly a beautiful experience.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank emm265
Director Samuel J, General Manager at Barcelo Bavaro Beach - Adults Only, responded to this review, 4 June 2013
Dear guest,
Thank you very much for all your comments regarding to our resort. We are very pleased to know you enjoyed all services in our resort. Thanks for choosing us as a destination for you stay.
Utica, Michigan
Reviewed 30 May 2013

We stayed on the adults only side of the resort. We stayed in the 4000 block top floor in a master ocean front suite. Two huge balcony's, jacuzzi on one of them two giant rooms, two bathrooms, very very nice room. We had premium club so we had preferential treatment to the restaurants and reservation times (a lot of people had trouble getting good reservation times, we did not. All of those people did not have premium club wrist bands). From what I could tell that was the only benefit of the premium club, access to restaurants and decent reservation times.
Food - Just ok. Chez and the french place were very good meals. The Sante Fe, Sea-food and Japanese, and Italian were barely decent. Service was usually very slow. Most dinners took an hour and a half or more. We had dinner at the buffet only once because we overslept our reservation. It was not good for dinner. Lunch and breakfast at the buffet however were very good. Stay on the Adult side for the buffet much less hectic than the main island and better food. Men have to wear long pants and shoes at all restaurants. I found this ridiculous. Women could wear a g-string and a beach cover up but I had to wear pants. There are families with 6 kids in bathing suits and flip flops and running around screaming their heads off but I have to sit there in long pants sweating my butt off. Just silly.

Maid service - Average at best. Very inconsistent. Sometimes at 8am sometimes at 6pm. Never had cold beer in the mini-bar because the maid always shut the power off when she was done therefore the mini bar was always warm. Not the end of the world but annoying. We called the "premium club" several days to bring up cold beer and not once did it actually come. We bribed a maid to take cold beer out of someone elses room.

Bars - Jency at the bar between the front desk and the pool was amazing. Other than him we didn't find any particular service person at a bar or restaurant that stood out. Average to slow bar service that generally seemed annoyed to pour you a drink (other than Jency). After two days I found out you had to actually ask for Alcohol in the frozen drinks. My mind was BLOWN. I could not believe you had to ask for alcohol in your mixed drinks. What is the F is that about? and then most times, the bartender still didn't make it with booze even when you specifically ask for it and you watch him make the drink. Rum is like 7 bucks a liter at the gift shop. Rum has to be cheaper than the ice and mixers it takes to make most drinks. I don't understand why it was such a chore to get booze.

Beach / Pool - Amazing.

Excursions - We did sailing, boogies, and deep-sea fishing. Sailing and deep-sea fishing was well worth the price. Lots of good booze, good tour guides, all spoke great english and many other languages. Boogies I would not do again. Too many stops in the fields where it is basically a tourist trap. They make you stop and try to sell you things, kids begging for your watch and just uncomfortable. It was supposed to be 3 hours of riding, we spent maybe 40 min actually driving, maybe.

Overall we had a really good time just a few little things that were annoying. Resort was really clean and felt safe all of the time. Most people were friendly. We would go back, just get the premium club and eat at the French, Chez and Japanese restaurants and we would bring our own mugs for them to fill instead a 10oz plastic cup that the ice melted within seconds.

Room Tip: Premium club, 4000 block, ocean front master suite has two balcony's one with Jacuzzi. Away from...
3 Thank Matt L
Dear guest,
Thank you very much for all your comments regarding to our resort. We are very pleased to know you enjoyed all services in our resort especially our Services Club Premium, our Restaurants and our wonderful beach highlighting the friendliness of our employees.
We hope to give us the opportunity to provide the care and quality you deserve at a future visit. We remain at your entire disposition for any assistance you might need before your visit.