“Beautiful Place!”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Baltimore, Maryland
“Beautiful Place!”
Reviewed 10 May 2014

I really, really loved this place! I stayed for 5 days and I loved every single one. The room was spacious and had a great view, and they kept it stocked with drinks and fresh towels. I spent plenty of time in guest services and they were extremely helpful and very patient with me, the foreigner. Particularly, Damely, the always smiling, super knowledgeable young woman who always found time for me. I would definitely recommend this place to anyone looking to relax or have a blast. I can't wait to come back!

• Stayed May 2014
Director Sandy P, General Manager at Barcelo Bavaro Beach - Adults Only, responded to this review, 13 May 2014
Dear Guest,

We thank you for choosing Barceló Bávaro Beach for your holidays and for sharing your experience with the online community and give us your feedback.

Thank you very much for all your comments regarding to our resort. I really appreciate your nice comments about our services in all departments. Your feedback will encourage us to continue providing the high level of service we believe our guests deserve.

Barceló and its team are working very hard to improve our service on the daily basis.
We remain at your entire disposition for any assistance you might need before your visit.

Director

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,365)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Mississauga, Canada
Reviewed 9 May 2014

The resort is very nice and had a lot of amenities on-site. The shuttle moved us back and forth to the Palace deluxe, which had a bigger pool and an actual swim in pool bar. The white sand beaches with all the palm trees were beautiful and clean, for the most part. The rooms were not the best out there but they were clean, tidy and we were very satisfied with them. The food was also very good with different cuisines everyday and the different a la carte restaurants were a welcomed change. The only downside about our experience was the service. Room service was average at best, they did not change water bottles neither did they add new shower products. We had to call twice to get everything refilled. All of the staff there hardly speaks any English as well. Ordering a simple cup of tea proved very challenging.

Room Tip: The ocean front rooms.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank msthedon
Dear Guest,

I have read thoroughly your comments because they are very important for us as a responsible and professional hotel chain. On behalf of all our team, we would to extend our most sincere apologies for any difficulties you may have experience during your stay. For us it is very important the experience our guest have about their stay with us. I accept your feedback for continuous improvement in a future stay.

Respectfully,
Cape Breton
Reviewed 8 May 2014

Travelled with my boyfriend for our third trip to Punta Cana and first time at this resort. Air Transat flights were excellent! Smooth check in to building 5. We were shocked to find that we had 2 3/4 size beds. We called front desk services and they arrived to our room only to push the two beds together, leaving the second headboard in its original place....a disappointment for sure but we had a corner room which was nice. Do not let the words "Superior Oceanfront Room Prestige Class" fool you. First of all, "Prestige Class" is from the airline not the hotel! We received nothing for this classification and paid for this upgrade--a total waste of $$. We received a booklet of coupons which were useless to us. For example, there was a $30 off coupon for Internet which turned out to be for THEIR computers, not wifi for my iPad, and the cost for a week of Internet on THEIR computers was 75$ US. I wasn't about to use the coupon plus 45$ and have no access on my iPad. The word "oceanfront" is also a grey area. We were "oceanfront" alright but could only see a corner of the ocean because of palm trees. Building 6 next to us was closer to the ocean with no palm trees in front but I'm assuming they were the "premium" room upgrades @$20/day/person. For the first day and a half we were wondering what was wrong with the staff...they were so unhappy and unwelcoming at the BBB! We ate breakfast at the BBB buffet and the staff hardly acknowledged us when we got inside. They hardly smiled at all and some staff seemed to be arguing with "supervisors" even hollering to staff while they were pouring coffee at a table. We ate all lunches at LaBrisa which was heaven. We loved that buffet! The staff was excellent, smiling all of the time and appreciated our tips. The pool bar staff at the BBB were very frustrating--they were not friendly and the drinks were awful. We stuck to the cold beer. I asked for a vodka, OJ and ice and I got a red drink. What? We gave a tip and they didn't even take it off of the counter. When my boyfriend tapped it and moved it forward, the bar tender just nodded his head and still left it. Did not appreciate the tips. One gal at the bar was beautiful and did not smile once! We had the best time when we went to dinner at the Palace. Loved the 19th hole, Italian Restaurant and the steakhouse. Did not really enjoy Le Gormet. Did not get our order correct--language barrier? LOVED the Sports Bar at the Palace--loved the wings there and the service was excellent! The shopping was excellent at the Palace. . Do not look for towel art at the BBB--it's not there. As a matter of fact--one day we had NO towels at all! Staff on the beach and grounds work very very hard and it shows. Excellent and clean! Pool is awesome--loved the bubble pool and spa taps. The beach is second to none--by far the best beach we've seen. No palapas on the beach--only palm tree shade but it was adequate. The lobby bar was excellent and staff were great! Entertainment was good. Great that the safe was included in the price. I would not recommend this resort to friends because of the poor service and poor drinks but would recommend the Palace side. If a friend told me they booked there I would tell them they will enjoy the beach, the pool and LaBrisa but eat and entertain at the Palace! I was mildly disappointed and will not return to this resort.

Room Tip: Do not fall for the additional $$ to upgrade to oceanfront superior prestige class room. Not worth i...
5 Thank Freedom2004
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 7 May 2014

My Husband and I stayed here for our 10th year together and booked through transit holidays and upgraded to club premium level ocean front which I felt was worth the extra money, considering it gave us the luxury vaca we were looking for. This includes your private transfer so no waiting for others or dropping off other guests at different resorts first. It was about a 15-20 minute ride to our resort from the airport as listed. Once arrived your are escorted to the club premium lounge for check-in, with a warm welcome and glass of champane check-in was enjoyable. Our room was not ready yet so they held and tagged our luggage to deliver it to the room when it was ready. We were told to come back in a couple hours and our room would be ready. We had our flops and baiting suits in our carry ons so it was easy to change in there very clean huge washrooms and go for drinks and a bite to eat. Being club premium you have the flexiablity to make as many dinner reservations as you like and 24 room service, also in the club lounge fresh fruit, and daily snacks fresh cheese, Italian meats and breads, couple of hot dishes as well during off times when resturants are prepping for the next meal.
This resort is huge because it is attached to the bravaro deluxe which is the family side where as the bravaro beach side is Adults only which we loved. We chose this resort for the on site golf coarse which my husband said was decent and had fun. Also I enjoyed the on site horseback riding on the beach. This resort is huge so they have a small train that picks up and drops off from all places if you don't want to walk it. There was so much to do or do nothing by the beach which were most of our days. The beach at the time we visited was clean and water beautiful. It was quiet windy during our week but wasn't cold temp around 26-27 daily. We did encounter a few small sting rays in the water and I did see someone get stung but we were lucky no problems at all. The adults only side was very quiet and calm which is why we probably swam with so many fish and saw a sting ray,as a walked down towards the family end the water was very busy and full of kids and people which I didn't see anything in the water on that side.
All the food was amazing for an all inclusive. We had our favorite resturants,French la comidie was one of our favorites but they were all good and service very good. Tip your servers for drinks,food service,room service ext.. Living in Toronto we are used to tipping for everything so we did the same there, couple dollars a round of drinks or at dinner when we ordered wine,apps,dinner,dessert we always gave at least 10-15 dollars American, We brought $300 American ones for tipping and didn't use it all.
Over all we loved this resort friendly people and great location,accomadations,food for the price. We will be going back with our children to the family side one of these days for the many family activies, beautiful beach,3 waterpark areas for every age of child, one wadding pool area for babies,then a small slide and splash pool area for young children, looked suitable for children aged 2-6 then a bigger area with bigger slides and splash pool area suitable for any age of child, then a huge pirate ship waterpark for older children looked suitable for 6 and up. The pirate water park is an extra charge if not club premium.
Also other activities for extra charges,laser tag,excursions(swim with dolphins,dune buggy,ext..)

Room Tip: Club premium ocean front worth the money!
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Terra W
Dear Guest,

We are very pleased to know you enjoyed all services in our resort especially the Club Premium Services highlighting the friendliness of our employees, I’m glad you have been enjoying the a la carte restaurants.

we would like to thank you for taking the time to bring your observations to our attention since, it is through communications of this nature that we are given an opportunity to assess and evaluate our performance, as well as to ensure that we maintain and deliver the level of service expected from us.

Little Rock, Arkansas
Reviewed 7 May 2014

My 2013 review of the Barcelo Bavaro Beach property was extremely positive, almost too-good-to-be-true.

Well, we returned a year later and discovered it's tough to catch magic twice, at least with this property.

Literally EVERYTHING that was great last year was sub-par this year. And I mean everything. Check in was okay, but where were the smiling faces and helpful staff? Not there. Even the bellmen seemed disinterested.

We had a similar package as last year, Club Premium (still highly recommended if you still choose to go here after this review). Our suite was exactly the same layout as last year, just a little closer to the pool (last year's was closer to the beach, which my wife and I much preferred.)

The weather was spectacular during our 7 day stay, which is to say mid-80's with ocean breezes. Lovely. We spent most of our days laying out by the pool reading our Kindles or walking the beach.

The two primary reasons for the poor rating are (1) Service and (2) Quality of Dining.

Suffice to say the staff, almost universally, was just not that good or customer friendly. There were exceptions---our maid was cheerful and very sweet and we tipped her accordingly; there were a couple of waitresses who would happily tolerate my poor Spanish---but for the most part it was a case where the smiles were just not there and the wonderful Dominican culture not present.

But I could overlook occasional missteps with the staff (God knows these folks deal with a lot of obnoxious people, American and otherwise) had it not been for the food.

In a word, it was AWFUL. In Spanish, it was "caca". Really, it was almost inedible at times. I am talking breakfast, lunch, and dinner. I am talking EVERY single restaurant (with the exception of the Mexican Restaurant, Mexico Lindo, our ONLY good meal) was just plain bad.

Even room service (free if you are Club Premium) was so bad it wasn't even worth peeling the cellophane wrap off the plate. I can't describe how bad it was---the eggs were yucky, the meat was unrecognizable, grease overused, salad bar so-so....

I could go on, but will spare you. The good news? My wife and I both lost weight on the trip! That's about the only positive for the entire week. That, and we did get plenty of sun---but that certainly cannot be attributed to Barcelo!

Room Tip: Upgrade to Club Premium. Worth every dollar. Stay further away from pool if you seek quiet. Tip the...
1 Thank DoogieWhite
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 7 May 2014

Let me start by saying that this is my first review on tripadvisor, but since I relied on it so much when booking this trip and read so many reviews about the hotel, it only feels right to write one now myself.

We have just come after a 10 days stay at Barcelo resort (April 26th-May5th). We stayed the first 6 nights at the Barcelo Palace Deluxe and the last four nights at the adults only sector, the Barcelo Beach, hence this review talks a little about both. Both hotels are next to one another, same resort and you can pretty much use the facilities of both at any time. We wanted to experience both, as prior to arriving we did not realize that it basically a part of one grand complex. To be honest, the only thing that changed between both is the rooms themselves (we had to do check-out of the palace and check-in to the Barceló beach). The Barcelo Palace Deluxe was our favorite, as the rooms are gorgeous, so modern, large and with a Jacuzzi on the balcony (or on the patio). However, for the actual beach time, we preferred to spend it on the Barcelo Beach side (it’s nicer, only adults and entertainment caters applicable: with yoga classes on the beach, volleyball, aerobics next to the beach, etc.). The rooms in the Barcelo Beach are older and not as nice, hence for future stay we’ll would go back to the Palace.

The resort is Gorgeous! So Spacious (always could find a table easily at the buffet, bed on the beach/pool, etc). It does not feel overcrowded at all and also plenty of activities and entertainment (golf, mini golf, paddle/tennis courts, etc.). It goes without saying what a beautiful beach the hotel is located on. The food (which I read a few complaints about here), we both really liked. Yes, maybe the buffets are not Michelin star quality, but the food was great, so much variety and we enjoyed the taste. The restaurants at night (for which you need to make a reservation) were great. We tried them all, all different but very good. The international restaurant (which is at the adults side) was delicious, but all others are great too (the only one which we did not enjoy was the seafood, as the food/atmosphere were not great). We had no troubles at all making restaurant reservations (yes, you can’t always dine at 7:00 pm maybe, but we were flexible with time and could easily try each).

The entertainment at nights was fantastic, we watched most shows at the palace, as the theater there is bigger and the shows were very good. The staff are friendly and for most helpful (we do not speak Spanish, but had no problems at all with English, just need to be mindful of course that English is not their first language, we so we did not expect everyone to speak it fluently). The cocktails are best at the lobby bar next to the Japanese restaurant, very well blended, the margarita there was our favorite!

All in all, it was a fantastic vacation, we are so happy that we chose this resort and will be glad to come back with friends and family.

Thank you for this great vacation!

Room Tip: Read the reviews, make the restaurant reservations when you arrive, try the different activities (yo...
3 Thank Simona L
Dear Guest,

We thank you for choosing Barceló Bávaro Beach Resort for your holidays and for sharing your experience with the online community and give us your feedback.

Thank you very much for all your comments regarding to our resort, we are very pleased to know you enjoyed all services in our resort. We are a complex divided in two hotels offering their different concepts for the enjoyment of all.

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your experience at our Hotel. We greatly appreciate your feedback as it enables us to continue improving and providing our service for our guests.

Strongsville, Ohio, United States
Reviewed 6 May 2014

My husband and I came back to this hotel after two years.... We chose the adults only (quieter)
We had previously stayed at the palace deluxe (better rooms) and this time we upgraded to the club premium, I thought we were going to get premium liquor, (no such luck). Also, the 24/7 room service.... Well, if you deviate from their menu, they don't know what to do.... If you drink decaf coffee, you better bring your own, they look at you like you are out of your mind!
The complex is gorgeous, the people very nice, and if you slip a couple of bucks.... Well, that'll get you very far.
It was our fifth time in punta Cana, now we have other hotels to compare, and unfortunately don't think barcelo is a match for them, it's good, but there are a lot better out there....

Room Tip: The rooms at the palace deluxe are a lot nicer and more updated
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

We hope to give us the opportunity to provide the care and quality you deserve at a future visit.

Warm regards,