“Terrible resort, terrible service”

Barcelo Bavaro Beach - Adults Only
Ranked #26 of 111 Hotels in Punta Cana
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Northampton, Pennsylvania
“Terrible resort, terrible service”
Reviewed 23 June 2014

My wife and I never had a honeymoon or 10 year anniversary. I decided to go to Punta Cana because our neighbors recommended it.

The food was all buffet, except dinner (and the buffet was gross, flies swarming all over the bland food). You had to make a reservation for dinner even though it was free and even though the restaurant was almost empty (we stopped by a few restaurants to check things out and see if they would take us in - they didn't and they were empty).

The ocean floor was mostly covered with whatever plant life grows under water, so you only felt comfortable with swimming in the clear areas.

The local shops right next to the resort, along the beach, can provide you with deals. However the people who run these shops will badger you so bad. The resort shops are stupid. I needed a bathing suit and only found one for $90 (cheapest). The others ranged from 288 - 375 USD.

The service was horrible. When you made reservations for dinner, there were only 2 reps working the reservation desk with each couple making reservations, looking through the menus and making reservations for the entire week. Add a couple of people in the line and you're suddenly waiting an hour to get to the reps.

It was very difficult to communicate with anyone in the entire resort. English is not even their second language. Also, don't expect anything quickly.

The rooms, well, the first one smelled like they painted the bathroom with a very strong paint. I don't exactly know what they coated the bathtub with, but they did and it stunk. They also used silicon to caulk everything. The smell gave us a headache even though we had the doors opened and the hair dryer on in there. The ceiling recessed lights leaked water also. We asked to be moved at that point. The next room had the same problem with the smell but not as bad. It was ocean front and opening the door was not as bad. It was a good location. When we were ready to move, they told us that we could not move in there and they had another room on the 3rd floor on the edge of the resort away from all of the ammenities (my wife cried). It was fine, except there was no sound proofing between the rooms and we had a noisy young couple that fought, threw up, loud music and had sex starting at 3:00am every morning (when the disco let out). We told the front desk three times and they lied to us the first time and said they were moving out, and then said they would look into it the next two times we complained.

The ammenities were ok, but expensive. In fact, everything there was expensive if it wasn't included. If you did go on an "excursion", the people running the excursion will have pictures for sale ($40 for about a dozen or so pics) - digital copy only, beer ($5 a can of El Presidente, which is the only beer you will be drinking for free at the resrt), massages were about $160 per hour - these are all in USD.

I ended up drinking too much or was drugged the second night. The resort is crawling with Russian couples, so what what you drink and who you drink with. I don't remember anything, but the next morning, I woke with bruises all over my body and hand cuff marks around my wrists that caused nerve damage to some degree (three weeks later and I still have no feeling in some parts of my right hand. I never get violent when I drink and I rarely drink that much. I feel a bit taken advantage of but I can't really blame anyone but myself for drinking at all.

All in all, if I were 18 - 26 I would go there. Nobody else should ever go there to visit or stay. IT IS a VERY DANGEROUS PLACE TO BE.

Room Tip: Don't stay here, whatever you do.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank dadof0005
Director Sandy P, General Manager at Barcelo Bavaro Beach - Adults Only, responded to this review, 29 June 2014
Dear guest,

We thank you for choosing Barceló Bávaro Beach for your holidays and for sharing your experience with the online community and give us your feedback.

I have read thoroughly your comments because they are very important for us as a responsible and professional hotel chain. On behalf of all our team, we would to extend our most sincere apologies for any difficulties you may have experience during your stay. For us it is very important the experience our guest have about their stay with us. I accept your feedback for continuous improvement in a future stay.

We hope to give us the opportunity to provide the care and quality you deserve at a future visit. We remain at your entire disposition for any assistance you might need before your visit.

As with any business like ours, the greatest advertising we can have is word of mouth from a satisfied customer. It’s our goal to retain you as a satisfied customer and will hope to serve you again in the future.

Warm regards,

Director

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,349)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Omaha, Nebraska
Reviewed 22 June 2014

Amazing service, amazing beach, amazing water, amazing wedding! Planning our wedding was easy and quick, the photography and wedding correspondent were very helpful with all of the last minute changes. The adults only resort was exactly what we wanted - relaxing! The service was perfect throughout the resort and the beaches were beautiful. The only down side is the buffet food, it was okay. I definitely recommend making reservations at the available restaurants.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Amy V
Director Sandy P, General Manager at Barcelo Bavaro Beach - Adults Only, responded to this review, 23 June 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you to take your time to write a review and choosing Barceló Bavaro Beach as a destination during your holidays and wedding trip.

We also appreciate your personal opinion about the hotel, the staff and the food. We take all guest feedback very seriously, and we're constantly improving all aspects with honesty. Thank you very much again to give us your opinion.

We will be honored to welcome you back. Please do not hesitate to contact us prior your next visit.

Best Regards,

Carlisle, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 June 2014

This has been one of the best vacations We have ever had. To say the service has been exceptional is an understatement.
The variety of food and quality, again has been wonderful and exceptional,nothing was to much trouble for any of the staff.
I would like to give our personal thanks Elisco Kelly and all his team, top draw !!!!! Brilliant what a reception.
The resort is immaculate, the staff are constantly cleaning everywhere, the beach,pathways, everything.
All the restaurants were very good, with the exception of the Teppenyaki, where we found they wanted your money then have you out the door ready for the next bunch of money holiday makers, then to endure waiters demanding tips, but this is an American thing.
The only annoying thing wrong is, obnoxious,arrogant and ignorant Americans, who think by giving the staff a dollar deserve to be treated like royalty, where a simple please or thank you is all they want and respect, which we found the majority of Americans did give to anyone.
Manners maketh the man. It nice to be important but it is also important to be nice
We would certainly revisit this resort, this I rarely do has the world is to small, but again what a great place.

Room Tip: Ocean view
3 Thank Roger B
Dear guest,

We greatly appreciate that you have chosen one of our Resorts as your holiday destination. Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your experience at our Hotel. We greatly appreciate your feedback as it enables us to continue improving and providing our service for our guests.

I am happy to read that your recent stay at our resort was overall what you expected and I thank you for your valuable comments in regards to Eliseo kelly who did a very professional job.

Thanks for visit us!!!

Englewood, Florida
Reviewed 22 June 2014

We just returned from our fourth trip to Barcelo .We were there the week from the 13th through the 20th This time we stayed in the Adult section. It was wonderful .I think we had the best room in the whole resort. From what I seen they all look pretty nice. We stayed in building 6 on the third floor. The girl that cleaned our room was superior . We ate all our evening meals at the Alacarte restaurants . Where people would complain about these rooms I cannot even imagine. Our Favorite restaurant is the Frencn and knew we would have to pay extra which we had no problem. I was a little surprised that we had to pay for Kyotos. We had always had Club premium in the past so didn't know what to expect. They have a train that takes you to different places but we walked most of the time. In fact we probably walked at least 5 miles a day. both on the beach and under the covered sidewalk, We considered looking at other resorts while we were there but decided this is the BEST. We are returning to the Palace Deluxe for 2 weeks in October. Can't hardly wait to go back and we just got home . Love it there and we live in FL just a few minutes by boat from the Gulf of Mexico

Room Tip: In the past we have stayed in building 6 ocean front in the Palace . This time we lucked out and got...
1 Thank Nancy M
Dear Guest,

Receive cordial greetings from all the team working at Bavaro Resort.

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay at our hotel. We sincerely appreciate all feedback.

We also are very pleased you enjoyed the all-inclusive program which includes a wide range of delicious food and beverage.

It is an honor to know that our staff is providing our guests with the natural warm and hospitality that characterize the Dominican people. Please be assured that your nice comments will be forward to our staff. They will be delighted to know that they are making a difference in each guest experience.

Exceedingly grateful to return once more, even at the Palace Deluxe, we'll be seeing. It was a great pleasure that you enjoyed all our services ua again.

We will see you again in October.

Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed 20 June 2014

OMG!!!!! My husband and I was here on June 16-18 for our first anniversary and it was the most amazing experience we have ever had at a resort!!!!! Very nice staff.....great food......beautiful beach........very romantic.......very organized......plenty to see and do right on the resort property!!!!! Loved it!!! Can't wait to go back:)

4 Thank Charlotte S
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience at the Barcelo Punta Cana at Tripadvisor.

Comments like yours are a true inspiration to our continued pursuit of excellence in everything we do. Thank you also for recommending our hotel. Your patronage and loyalty are highly valued and appreciated. We will look forward to welcoming you back, hopefully in the not far future.

Kind Regards,

Tempe, Arizona
Reviewed 20 June 2014

The hotel is clean, the staff is super friendly, it is right on a warm, beautiful beach, and has a great pool. We stayed at the adults only hotel, which was great. We had a low key hotel with grown ups with the freedom to walk or ride to any of the other hotels in the Barcelo "compound". The dinners at the actually restaurants were great, but the buffet food was only decent. Since it was free that made it okay. There was SO much to do including water sports, a casino, and a dance club. The casino was smaller and older, but we had a great time gambling anyway. I would recommend this place for friends, couples, or families.

Room Tip: 80% of the adults only hotel have an ocean view!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your positive feedback pertaining to your most recent visit. I am truly delighted to read that our service team, our location, your room and your experience all together exceeded your expectations. Thank you also for recommending our hotel.

Best Regards,

Dallas, Texas, United States
Reviewed 18 June 2014

We visited Barcelo Adults Only resort 12-16 June 2014. I read many reviews prior to coming and want to fill you in on things that were missed in other reviews.

Rooms: No issue with the rooms, air conditioned and clean. Had the basics plus mini-bar that had no alcohol, but water, soda and juice. There were also a few snacks as well…not too appetizing.

Bars: There were 3 bars, the lobby bar, one in the Barista restaurant and one at the pool. (not a swim up bar) Drinks were bottom shelf, but potent if you asked for extra alcohol.

Food: Well, we all know not to expect great food and they lived up to that expectation. For those staying at the Adult Beach only side, it is well worth the trolley ride to go the Deluxe side for all meals. They weren't great, but better than the Adult only side. I was able to make reservations for 2 nights at decent times, 8:15 and 9:00. Food was again just average. I would recommend taking a taxi to Captian Cook off the resort. EXCELLENT seafood! You select the fish, shrimp, lobster etc. and they cook it for you. Homemade potato chips, salad and rice come with the entrees. Great price and great food.

Staff: Majority of the staff, (except front desk) does not speak English. It took 5 minutes to get a waitress to understand that I wanted a napkin. I had to use sign language LoL. They are quite rude and not at all interested in customer service like we expect in the U.S.

Resort: Overall, the resort was nice. This is NOT a resort that for party people. The piano bar played love songs and broadway tunes. The entertainment was less than entertaining. The pool played 95% Latin music, no top 40 music. Bring your own music and speakers. Also need to bring an adapter for their 110V. This resort is for those that have NO desire to party.

Beach was beautiful, but the beach at Macao (spelling) was BREATH TAKING!

Room Tip: We stayed in the 2000 building...great location
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Molo J
Director Sandy P, General Manager at Barcelo Bavaro Beach - Adults Only, responded to this review, 20 June 2014
Dear Guest,

We would like to extend our most sincere apologies for any inconveniences or difficulties you may have experienced during your stay.

Concerning your comments about the quality of our food, we would like to point out that our menus are composed by carefully selected products, and done taking into consideration the diversity of our guests. Indeed, our satisfaction’s questionnaires always reflect high punctuations. Your observations are taking into great consideration and have been share with the General Manager of our Resort for their analysis.

We apologize for the impression you could perceive for the language barrier with some of our staff members. Please allow us to inform you that most of our employees have good knowledge on many languages, such as English, French, Italian, German, Portuguese, and Russian and so on; and our Human Resources Department is constantly offering courses to all our staff to reinforce the level of conversation, especially to those in direct contact with our guests. However, please be reminded that Spanish is our mother tongue and our knowledge and/or pronunciation of a foreign language might not be perfect.

We would like to have the opportunity to welcome you once again at any of our Hotels, and that way is able to change any negative perception you may have about us.

Kind regards,