My wife and I never had a honeymoon or 10 year anniversary. I decided to go to Punta Cana because our neighbors recommended it.
The food was all buffet, except dinner (and the buffet was gross, flies swarming all over the bland food). You had to make a reservation for dinner even though it was free and even though the restaurant was almost empty (we stopped by a few restaurants to check things out and see if they would take us in - they didn't and they were empty).
The ocean floor was mostly covered with whatever plant life grows under water, so you only felt comfortable with swimming in the clear areas.
The local shops right next to the resort, along the beach, can provide you with deals. However the people who run these shops will badger you so bad. The resort shops are stupid. I needed a bathing suit and only found one for $90 (cheapest). The others ranged from 288 - 375 USD.
The service was horrible. When you made reservations for dinner, there were only 2 reps working the reservation desk with each couple making reservations, looking through the menus and making reservations for the entire week. Add a couple of people in the line and you're suddenly waiting an hour to get to the reps.
It was very difficult to communicate with anyone in the entire resort. English is not even their second language. Also, don't expect anything quickly.
The rooms, well, the first one smelled like they painted the bathroom with a very strong paint. I don't exactly know what they coated the bathtub with, but they did and it stunk. They also used silicon to caulk everything. The smell gave us a headache even though we had the doors opened and the hair dryer on in there. The ceiling recessed lights leaked water also. We asked to be moved at that point. The next room had the same problem with the smell but not as bad. It was ocean front and opening the door was not as bad. It was a good location. When we were ready to move, they told us that we could not move in there and they had another room on the 3rd floor on the edge of the resort away from all of the ammenities (my wife cried). It was fine, except there was no sound proofing between the rooms and we had a noisy young couple that fought, threw up, loud music and had sex starting at 3:00am every morning (when the disco let out). We told the front desk three times and they lied to us the first time and said they were moving out, and then said they would look into it the next two times we complained.
The ammenities were ok, but expensive. In fact, everything there was expensive if it wasn't included. If you did go on an "excursion", the people running the excursion will have pictures for sale ($40 for about a dozen or so pics) - digital copy only, beer ($5 a can of El Presidente, which is the only beer you will be drinking for free at the resrt), massages were about $160 per hour - these are all in USD.
I ended up drinking too much or was drugged the second night. The resort is crawling with Russian couples, so what what you drink and who you drink with. I don't remember anything, but the next morning, I woke with bruises all over my body and hand cuff marks around my wrists that caused nerve damage to some degree (three weeks later and I still have no feeling in some parts of my right hand. I never get violent when I drink and I rarely drink that much. I feel a bit taken advantage of but I can't really blame anyone but myself for drinking at all.
All in all, if I were 18 - 26 I would go there. Nobody else should ever go there to visit or stay. IT IS a VERY DANGEROUS PLACE TO BE.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Barcelo Bavaro Beach - Adults Only*****hotel is located on one of the 10 best beaches in the world, in the Punta Cana area of the Dominican Republic. This dreamy hotel has reinvented itself after a complete renovation to become an exclusive hotel for adults only. The hotel offers first class rooms 80% of which are located right on the beachfront. This makes it the most perfect place for a romantic getaway. Enjoy the exquisite range of cuisine on offer at the hotel through the Barcelo All Inclusive Programme with its Caribbean Buffet, Chez Gourmet and La Brisa restaurants; 9 a-la-carte restaurant options: Chez Gourmet (international), La Brisa (Mediterranean), El Coral (fish and seafood), Santa Fe (meat), La Dolce Vita (Italian), Mexico Lindo (Mexican), La Fuente (Spanish), Kyoto (Japanese) and La Comedie (Gourmet - additional charge except for Club Premium guests). Visit the facilities where you can find different options to fill your days: football pitch, tennis court, swimming pool, golf course, water sports, wellness centre, theatre and casino. This exclusive resort set on a virgin beach welcomes you with a cocktail, spoils you with drinks by the pool and offers you a 45 minute hydrothermal circuit, per person once during your stay. There are also 2 massage beds in the pool area (at an additional charge). Staying at this hotel also grants guests access to the facilities of the Barcelo Bavaro Palace Deluxe, a hotel which shares some of its services and facilities. This hotel is one of the very few in the country that boasts the international BLUE FLAG for compliance with the standards required by the non-profit non-governmental organisation the Foundation for Environmental Education (FEE). Come and rediscover the marvels the Barcelo Bavaro Beach - Adults Only***** hotel has to offer! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, LoveHolidays, Barcelo, Odigeo, Holiday Gems, Ebookers, Expedia, Travelbag, TravelUp, Hotels.com, Priceline, Traveltool, S.L.U., Cancelon, getaroom.com and Hotel.de so you can book your Barcelo Bavaro Beach - Adults Only reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Barcelo Bavaro Beach Hotel
- Barcelo Bavaro Punta Cana
- Barcelo Bavaro Beach Punta Cana
- Bavaro Beach Hotel
- Bavaro Beach Resort
- Barcelo Punta Cana Resort
- Barcelo Bavaro Beach Resort Punta Cana