“Had a good time....”

Barcelo Bavaro Beach - Adults Only
Ranked #22 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 25 June 2014

We Just got back from a 1 week stay, Celebrated our 10yr Anniversary.

Pros:
* The resort itself was beautiful. The hotel was kept up well and maintenance was always being done. Decorated nicely

* Despite reading some reviews of the rooms being outdated, ours was great and looked newly renovated. The A/C worked great and the bed was pretty awesome. House keeping did a good job for the most part. We did notice our bath tub wasn't cleaned too well when we got there and on one day they didn't leave us towels. I called them and they never brought more so we used our beach towels after we showered. However, in the shower they have a mounted dispenser that has body wash, shampoo and conditioner. The body wash section wasn't working and when we asked the housekeeping lady, she was able to fix it. (room# 2031) Garden/Pool view

* Pool was nice but needs music….can’t really hear the music from the bar.

* The food was more a hit than a miss. Breakfast was always good. The desserts aren't that great but the Coffee....Greatness!

* The beach was very nice. The palm trees are your only source for shade and after the first day, we needed it.

* Drinks were good. We took our own mugs and they filled them to the brim.

Cons:
* La Brisa ( a restaurant on the resort) seemed to be the only place where the hospitality was overflowing. Everywhere else, not so much. When we arrived, it was a "Hi..Welcome...Here is your key...Thank you.." Not a welcome drink or an explanation of the hotels amenities and not even an offer to see if we wanted to upgrade our room (I probably would have paid for the upgrade). It may just be me, but since it was our anniversary I was kind’a hoping for a better welcome. I guess Mexico has me spoiled.

*WiFi is $45 for your stay if you want it.

*Room Service was not included (might be if you upgrade but not sure)

* No swim up bar

* No Beach Bar

* They only serve Presidente beer, Dominican beer. Budweiser and Heineken are available for $3 or 2 for $5

* The beach is pretty loud. Every 10 min there was a party boat going by and the music is LOUD! I'm a musician and when I say loud, these boats were blast'n....no joke. There were also Helicopters and there was this wind glider/boat thing that was flying around as well. Add in the glass bottom boat, the speed boats (i think that’s what they were), the boat that pulls the big banana around and another boat that pulls this big raft that you can sit on....there is just too much going on. I tried to drown out the sounds to relax but sometimes they were just over bearing and annoying after a while.

* No night life other than the shows. You'll have to walk (10 min) or take the transport to the Palace Deluxe, the family section. There is a Club, A Casino, Strikers (sports bar) and a Cigar/Coffee bar.

Tips:
* If you want to do some souvenir shopping there is a little shopping area that is a very short walk on the beach. Just get ready to get mobbed. haha...you can really haggle with them and get some good deals. For example, a coffee mug in the gift shop will cost you $9, you can get the same one for half the price.

* For the beach, Find a spot near La Brisa restaurant. Its less crowded when it comes to getting drinks and a very short walk since there isn’t a beach bar.. Andrea is amazing! she'll hook you up. You can also lunch there and the hospitality at this restaurant was the best in the entire complex. Saludos a Marion, Lucia, Peter, Andrea and Eric! Wonderful people!

* For my Cigar friends, I would not buy the Cigars they sale at the shopping area on the beach I mentioned. I bought some and were not good at all. And for the Cigars on the resort, get ready to spend at least $25-$50 for a decent smoke. There is a free shuttle that can take you to the shopping center where the cigars are more affordable and fresher. If you can, although the taxi there might be pricey, there is a cigar maker called Rancho Real....Best cigars I've had. We went on an excursion with an offsite company and they took us here...the cigars here were great. I bought 20 for $50...That was the cost of 2 cigar at the Palace Deluxe.

We did enjoy our stay here for the most part. For our first time, it was a fun experience.

Cheers Amigos!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank fkytwn
Director Sandy P, General Manager at Barcelo Bavaro Beach - Adults Only, responded to this reviewResponded 29 June 2014

Dear guest,

We thank you for choosing Barceló Bávaro Beach for your holidays and for sharing your experience with the online community and give us your feedback.

I have read thoroughly your comments because they are very important for us as a responsible and professional hotel chain. On behalf of all our team, we would to extend our most sincere apologies for any difficulties you may have experience during your stay. For us it is very important the experience our guest have about their stay with us. I accept your feedback for continuous improvement in a future stay.

With regards to your comment about the noises at the beach unfortunately it’s something that is out of our hands once the beach is public not private.

Barceló and its team are working very hard to improve our service on the daily basis.

We hope to give us the opportunity to provide the care and quality you deserve at a future visit. We remain at your entire disposition for any assistance you might need before your visit.

As with any business like ours, the greatest advertising we can have is word of mouth from a satisfied customer. It’s our goal to retain you as a satisfied customer and will hope to serve you again in the future.

Warm regards,

Reviewed 24 June 2014 via mobile

The resort was very nice, clean and big. Everything was really food. Food, cleaning and service. I especially loved mini me and snickers that made our vacation memorable. They were very entertaining and awesome!!! My vacation would not be the same without them. I would definetely go back!! Thanks everyone!

Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank Bachatapani

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay at our hotel. We sincerely appreciate all feedback.

We also are very pleased you enjoyed the all-inclusive program which includes a wide range of delicious food and beverage.

It is an honor to know that our staff is providing our guests with the natural warm and hospitality that characterize the Dominican people. Please be assured that your nice comments will be forward to our staff. They will be delighted to know that they are making a difference in each guest experience.

Best Regards,

Reviewed 24 June 2014

My fiancé and I stayed June 13-19 in the adults only section. We were lucky enough to be in room 4009 which is the last building. The room was clean and very spacious. The bed was huge and one of the most comfortable beds I have ever slept in. We loved the location, it was very quiet and private. There were no people walking by and we never even saw another couple when we were sitting outside on our lounge chairs.

The check in process was seamless. We arrived at about 2:40 and checked in without a wait. Our room was not ready so they gave us our wrist bands and brought us a drink. We took this time to make our reservations for dinner. We made reservations to eat at 5 of the a la carte restaurants. Times were tricky, two of the days were rather early, around 6:30. The other days we were able to get in between 7:45-8pm which was perfect. We did go back after our 3rd day to try to switch one of our early dinners to a later time but we could not get in anywhere until 10pm so we canceled and ate at the buffet instead. My one criticism about the reservation process was that the lady who helped us was less than friendly. She seemed a little fed up with her job, never smiled and appeared to be irritated.

I was a little apprehensive to book this resort based on the negative restaurant reviews however we found the a la carte meals to be very good. Service was well paced, food was cooked and seasoned well. We were definitely not disappointed. The buffets were decent for lunch, there was plenty of variety so I always found something enjoyable. I was not as big of a fan of the breakfast but there was plenty of fruit and an omelet station that was never very busy so I found it sufficient.

The beach and resort grounds were beautiful. Everything was well maintained and clean. There were plenty of lounge chairs on the beach and we were always able to get a good spot no matter what time of day we went.

The pool was also very nice. It would've been better if there was a swim up bar, but the bar is so close it really wasn't too much of an issue.

I couldn't help writing this review after reading the most recent negative one. I bought many items in the gift shop for reasonable prices including a new swimsuit for $33. We took an awesome excursion that included snorkeling, kayaking, swimming with sharks and stingrays as well as a 20 minute massage. It was a 4 hour trip for $120 per person. Not too bad in my opinion. We also took advantage of having a 75 minute couples massage which was one of the best massages I've had. The cost for the two of us -$220. We wouldn't get those prices in the US for the same thing.

I've read a lot of complaints regarding restaurant location. All but 1 a la carte restaurant are on the family side of the property. Yes it is a bit of a walk, especially for us being on the complete opposite end of the resort. But who doesn't love a nice sunset walk along the beach on their way to eat! We loved all of the walking we did. Most of the time we walked to the buffets on the family side to get some additional exercise.

There is definitely a language barrier but most of the staff speak and understand enough to get by. We had a few instances when it took awhile to get our question answered, but we were in a different country! We didn't expect everyone to speak English because we were tourists from the US. We wish we would've brushed up on our Spanish a little more. We really enjoyed using our limited Spanish and the staff was very patient with out attempts.

All in all, we had a great time and will definitely return!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Erica B

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your positive feedback pertaining to your most recent visit. I am truly delighted to read that our service team, our location, your room and your experience all together exceeded your expectations.

Comments like yours are a true inspiration to our continued pursuit of excellence in everything we do. Thank you also for recommending our hotel. Your patronage and loyalty are highly valued and appreciated. We will look forward to welcoming you back, hopefully in the not far future.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 24 June 2014

I loved it! Recommend the adults only side!! Amazing beach, large buffets and varied specialty restaurants... The bartenders at the lobby (Jose & Jensy) were the best ones. I will definitely come back again.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Julie N

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to leave such a thorough review of your recent stay with us. I went ahead and shared your remarks with our entire team and especially Jose and Jensy all humbled by your kind review. Our team has been working diligently to make this opening a success, and it means a lot to hear of your appreciative remarks.

Best regards,

Reviewed 24 June 2014

This was our first time experience in a resort and the Barcelo Bavaro Beach team made sure this wasn't the last trip we would do. The calm of an Adult only resort combined with the accommodations of the Barcelo Bavaro Palace Deluxe was amazing. The boardwalk from site to site is calm and musical, either the one inside the site or by the beach. It was a pleasure to walk them every evening to go and come from our dinner at one the "à la carte" restaurants.
The food is great as you can choose from a general buffet to a mediteraneen one without forgetting the Sea Food, Mexican, Spanish, Steak or French restaurant. The resort is clean and well maintained all day long.
Le personnel de l'hôtel est souriant et nos conseillers sur place, Karine et Joseph, souriants et disponibles. Nous recommandons 2 excursions: le VIP Caribbean Safari qui nous montré tout au long de la journée Higuey et ses environs, le production de canne à sucre, cacao, canelle, etc. en plus de nous permettre de déguster de la langouste à bord d'un ponton; le Speed boating où nous avons pu expérimenter le snuba, une forme de plongée sans besoin de certification ainsi qu'un période de snorkeling. Une belle expérience.
We do not hesitate to recommend this place for all adults looking for a nice, calm and relaxing week.

Room Tip: In my opinion, all the rooms are well located, At the time of our stay, the resort was pretty calm p...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sourisabelle

Dear guest,

Thank you very much for all your comments regarding to our resort. I really appreciate your nice comments about our services in all departments. Your feedback will encourage us to continue providing the high level of service we believe our guests deserve.

Regards,

Reviewed 23 June 2014

My wife and I never had a honeymoon or 10 year anniversary. I decided to go to Punta Cana because our neighbors recommended it.

The food was all buffet, except dinner (and the buffet was gross, flies swarming all over the bland food). You had to make a reservation for dinner even though it was free and even though the restaurant was almost empty (we stopped by a few restaurants to check things out and see if they would take us in - they didn't and they were empty).

The ocean floor was mostly covered with whatever plant life grows under water, so you only felt comfortable with swimming in the clear areas.

The local shops right next to the resort, along the beach, can provide you with deals. However the people who run these shops will badger you so bad. The resort shops are stupid. I needed a bathing suit and only found one for $90 (cheapest). The others ranged from 288 - 375 USD.

The service was horrible. When you made reservations for dinner, there were only 2 reps working the reservation desk with each couple making reservations, looking through the menus and making reservations for the entire week. Add a couple of people in the line and you're suddenly waiting an hour to get to the reps.

It was very difficult to communicate with anyone in the entire resort. English is not even their second language. Also, don't expect anything quickly.

The rooms, well, the first one smelled like they painted the bathroom with a very strong paint. I don't exactly know what they coated the bathtub with, but they did and it stunk. They also used silicon to caulk everything. The smell gave us a headache even though we had the doors opened and the hair dryer on in there. The ceiling recessed lights leaked water also. We asked to be moved at that point. The next room had the same problem with the smell but not as bad. It was ocean front and opening the door was not as bad. It was a good location. When we were ready to move, they told us that we could not move in there and they had another room on the 3rd floor on the edge of the resort away from all of the ammenities (my wife cried). It was fine, except there was no sound proofing between the rooms and we had a noisy young couple that fought, threw up, loud music and had sex starting at 3:00am every morning (when the disco let out). We told the front desk three times and they lied to us the first time and said they were moving out, and then said they would look into it the next two times we complained.

The ammenities were ok, but expensive. In fact, everything there was expensive if it wasn't included. If you did go on an "excursion", the people running the excursion will have pictures for sale ($40 for about a dozen or so pics) - digital copy only, beer ($5 a can of El Presidente, which is the only beer you will be drinking for free at the resrt), massages were about $160 per hour - these are all in USD.

I ended up drinking too much or was drugged the second night. The resort is crawling with Russian couples, so what what you drink and who you drink with. I don't remember anything, but the next morning, I woke with bruises all over my body and hand cuff marks around my wrists that caused nerve damage to some degree (three weeks later and I still have no feeling in some parts of my right hand. I never get violent when I drink and I rarely drink that much. I feel a bit taken advantage of but I can't really blame anyone but myself for drinking at all.

All in all, if I were 18 - 26 I would go there. Nobody else should ever go there to visit or stay. IT IS a VERY DANGEROUS PLACE TO BE.

Room Tip: Don't stay here, whatever you do.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank dadof0005

Warm regards,

Reviewed 22 June 2014

Amazing service, amazing beach, amazing water, amazing wedding! Planning our wedding was easy and quick, the photography and wedding correspondent were very helpful with all of the last minute changes. The adults only resort was exactly what we wanted - relaxing! The service was perfect throughout the resort and the beaches were beautiful. The only down side is the buffet food, it was okay. I definitely recommend making reservations at the available restaurants.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Amy V
Director Sandy P, General Manager at Barcelo Bavaro Beach - Adults Only, responded to this reviewResponded 23 June 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you to take your time to write a review and choosing Barceló Bavaro Beach as a destination during your holidays and wedding trip.

We also appreciate your personal opinion about the hotel, the staff and the food. We take all guest feedback very seriously, and we're constantly improving all aspects with honesty. Thank you very much again to give us your opinion.

We will be honored to welcome you back. Please do not hesitate to contact us prior your next visit.

Best Regards,