“Bad Experience”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Greenville, South Carolina
“Bad Experience”
Reviewed 7 July 2014

Overall my husband and I did not enjoy our trip to this resort. We stayed in the adults only area and our room had an amazing ocean front view. The view was one of the only things we enjoyed. The beach is very pretty, however the water is filled with sea grass and debris that constantly washes onto the beach. During our 7 day stay the sand was not even cleaned daily, it needed to be cleaned every hour.

I would describe the food as school cafeteria. This is far from fine dining. If you like Shoney's, Mc Donald's, etc. you will be very happy here. The food in the a la carte restaurants is no different than the buffet food except you get to order your entree and dessert from a menu. Not to mention after eating breakfast on the second day of our trip I became very sick with a stomach virus that lingered for 5 days. The staff was not surprised that I had contracted something likely from the food.

The alcohol is horrible as well. The beer and wine both taste very watered down. It's definitely worth it to buy a bottle of wine. What would be a $4 bottle of wine a store in the US costs $25 there, even that said it was worth it. The liquor was even worse. I ordered a vodka martini and there wasn't even a taste of vodka, it was more like 100 proof grain alcohol. One sip and I couldn't stand anymore.

If you do not speak Spanish, you will be at a huge disadvantage here when trying to communicate with the majority of the staff. The staff should be trained in at least basic words that are needed for serving at resort restaurants and bars.

We paid for club premium which granted us essentially nothing other than a private check in and in room internet. The private check in even got messed up. When we first arrived we were directed to the main front desk and after the gentleman and 2 others looked for our reservation for 20 minutes, the response was "we can't find your reservation so you must be club premium and you should go to their desk". If he had bothered to look at the printed reservation papers I handed him he would have immediately seen what type of reservation we had, instead of freaking me out thinking they didn't have reservation. Why when typing my last name into the computer he couldn't see our reservation I'm not sure. The food in the club premium lounge is the same buffet crap you get at all the other restaurants. You might as well skip "club premium" and pay for the internet service.

Our room was serviced very sporadically. The towels were replinished daily but that was it, some days we didn't even get wash cloths. We waited three days before complaining that our mini bar and coffee items had not been replinished since we arrived, then it was another day before it was replinished.

The gym was a 15 minute walk from our room and didn't open until 7 am.

Needless to say we will not be returning.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Melissa M
Director Sandy P, General Manager at Barcelo Bavaro Beach - Adults Only, responded to this review, 12 July 2014
Dear Guest,

I want to thank you for taking your time to share the experience in the community of Tripadvisor.com.

Yours comments are important to our company, because as a result we can improve in aspects mentioned by you.

Our main goal is the satisfaction of our customers.We have located your room number and we know all your complaints and we apologize for the inconvenience presented during your stay, we would have liked to come closer to talk with the management of the Hotel and be able to satisfy your needs immediately.

We hope that you will give us the opportunity to change the negative perception that has taken us.

Director

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,349)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Reviewed 7 July 2014

Evelyn is an amazing and wonderful representative of the hotel she is enchanting and sweet and very helpful, I was staying at a different place and the service there wasn't that amazing but once I changed to this hotel everything was great!!! For sure coming back next year the food is super good and restaurants are big and spacious and everyone at the hotel is friendly and smiley

• Stayed July 2014
Dear guest,

First of all we thank you for choosing our hotel Barceló Bavaro Beach for your holidays and for the time you took to share your review with the online community.

I will like to thank you for highlighting out the excellent service of our friendly staff and also for pointing out the beauty of our grounds and our excellent gastronomy. Thank you for naming those who made a difference during your visit like Evelyn Ramirez.

We will be honored to welcome you back. Do not hesitate to contact us prior your next visit.

Warm regards,

Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 July 2014

We stayed at the resort from 27 June until 6 July.I have been on Trip Advisor for some time prior to our holiday and was a bit concerned with one or two negative comments about various aspects of the resort.Almost immediately,on arrival,we received a friendly and prompt welcome from reception staff.
This theme continued for the duration of our stay,we were allocated room 2078,which was on the 2nd floor,with the most glorious sea view,quiet a/c,well positioned and ideal for all amenities but not too close in terms of noise level.Bathroom is probably due a refurbishment but still in an acceptable condition.Our room was cleaned daily,towels changed daily and everything replenished as we used it,even the mini bar which contained alcoholic drinks as well as non alcoholic.
The food in all a-la-carte restaurants is to a high standard,booking is essential but the buffets also carry a wide variety of choice and enough to satisfy any appetite.
We stayed at the Adults only section but ventured into the family area which at times appeared a bit manic at poolside.
The Bavaro beach is stunning and we could have spent all day just enjoying the incredible sea view.It is cleaned daily and it reflects well on the management of the resort.
All staff were helpful and could not have done any more for us.
All in all,it was paradise for us.

Room Tip: We e-mailed the resort 2 weeks before our arrival date,requesting a 2nd floor apartment with a sea v...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Allison M
Dear guest,

We thank you for choosing Barceló Bavaro Beach for your holidays and for sharing your experience with the online community and give us your feedback.

Is a pleasure for me and the all team of Barceló Bavaro Beach that you chose us, hoping to have you here. We are grateful for all your comments and hope to see you at our hotel and make them feel a true paradise.

There are no words to express my most sincere gratitude about your valuable and helpful comments about your recent stay in our hotel.

New York
Reviewed 6 July 2014

Great time which exceed any expectations I had since this isn't the most expensive resort in Punta Cana. The food was amazing, the staff was always helpful and in great spirits, The beach is BEAUTIFUL! I've been to other resorts and have to Rank Bavaro at the very top. I will be back again very soon.

• Stayed July 2014
2 Thank TripLuver81
Dear guest,

We thank you for trusting in Barceló Bávaro Beach for your holidays and for sharing your experience with the online community and give us your feedback.

Thanks for choosing us as a destination for you stay. For us is very important the experience our guest have about their stay with us. We are glad to know that every time you have stayed with us, you have been able to enjoy of many unique and memorable experiences due to the amazing staff, the high quality food and drinks and resort facilities.

We remain at your entire disposition for any assistance you might need before your visit.

Best Regards,

Bielefeld, Germany
Reviewed 6 July 2014

Firstly I would say the beach is gorgeous, the sea is clear and warm and you are never short of finding a sun bed and shade. The pool is exceptionally clean and 98% of the time you could find a sun bed with shade, the only time I found you may have trouble was around 12o'clock when people tended to come of the beach to go to the pool, I advise not to ever leave your towels as people were stealing them and the hotel can charge $20 a towel (I emphasise the word can as we had ours stolen on the second day and the hotel kindly allowed us to have another 2 at no extra charge for which I was very grateful). There are plenty of restaurants to try out (even though they are in the Palace Deluxe side) and we never had a problem getting a reservation as long as you are not demanding on your time slots and particular days, saying that we managed to get all of ours around the 7 pm time (the Japanese was my favourite). The main buffet restaurant has a great choice and I can honestly say the food didn't bore us during the whole 2 weeks we were there. We didn't see the entertainment every night but I will say some nights were fantastic others were good and there were a couple that were not so good. The rooms were large definitely in need of refurbishing but that certainly didn't ruin our holiday and the beds are extremely comfortable with plenty of pillows. I can honestly say that I never had a single problem with the staff not speaking English because they do, some may only know a little but this never caused a problem. All in all the staff there work incredibly hard, the restaurant staff never stop, there are never dirty plates left all tables are cleared immediately and they are always refilling your drinks when your glasses run low. The staff who serve you at Mamey's Bar and the surrounding tables (which is in the lobby) are a credit to the hotel, their service is impeccable and the girls never let our drinks run low, constantly emptied the ashtray and always had a smile on their faces.
Now for the few bad points that I feel let the Hotel down but certainly didn't ruin my holiday:- The Gift Shop, they do not accept money you either pay by credit card or charge to you room which we personally found frustrating as we had taken dollars with us. The second thing is the room maids, I found them to be inconsistent with the cleaning and restocking of the mini bar, coffee, milk etc and not once did they do any displays on our bed with the towels which I have never experienced normally I would take photos of what they had done but sadly no photos this holiday :-(.
Lastly the shopping trip... we were put under the impression we would be taken to a shopping centre called San Juan but sadly not, you are taken to a cigar museum which had a few windows of tobacco leaves, information as to how they dried them out then you see a guy making cigars to the inventible buy our cigars, then into the gift shop which is considerably more expensive then the Hotel gift shop. They then take you to another museum (chocolate) but I am unable to comment as I had made the cigar museum call the hotel to take us directly back to the hotel angry that we had wasted half a day of our holiday on something we didn't want or ask for. My suggestion to you all is get a taxi to the shopping centres yourself it is only $10 each way and well worth it, do not be scared into the fact it's not safe because it is there are plenty of police and security at the shopping centres.
The only other trip we did was the luxury catamaran cruise slightly expensive at €189 per person but well worth it we had a fantastic day and Emilio and the staff catered for our every need. Despite my few bad points all in all we had a fantastic holiday and will definitely go back :-) The last couple of bits of information I could give which I couldn't see on trip advisor before we went on holiday is, internet is $45 for 7 days and the signal is fantastic even on the beach, and Mosquitos there are some so take repellent :-)

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
5 Thank Emma R
Dear Guest,

Thank you to take your time to write a review and choosing Barceló Bavaro Beach as a destination during your holidays. We also appreciate your personal opinion about the hotel, the staff and the food. We take all guest feedback very seriously, and we're constantly improving all aspects with honesty.

Thank you very much again to give us your opinion and I hope you see you soon in our Barceló Bavaro Beach.

Reviewed 6 July 2014 via mobile

My wife and I just visited the resort for 7 days. We used Viva Travel from miami to reserve our trip. Everything was great, good food, beautiful people, and great venue. All restrooms were amazingly modern and still fit with the beaches decor. Most employees were nice and attentive. We had and issue with room service and the manager took care of us and excuse the charges, very nice. Highly recomend.n

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Dayan J
Director Sandy P, General Manager at Barcelo Bavaro Beach - Adults Only, responded to this review, 8 July 2014
Dear Guest,

We thank you for choosing Barceló Bávaro Beach for your holidays and for sharing your experience with the online community and give us your feedback.

Thank you very much for all your comments regarding to our resort. I really appreciate your nice comments about our services in all departments. Your feedback will encourage us to continue providing the high level of service we believe our guests deserve.

Barceló and its team are working very hard to improve our service on the daily basis.

Best Regards,
Sandy Pfeil.
Pittsburgh
Reviewed 6 July 2014

We recently arrived home from our 10-day stay (6/17-6/27) at the Barcelo Bavaro complex. Four in our group of seven stayed at the Beach Resort while three were based at the Palace Deluxe Resort. Check-in was problem-free and those who work at the front desks were always friendly and helpful.

All of our travelers were quite happy with the accommodations. The rooms were clean, bug-free, spacious, and met all of our needs. The a/c was very efficient, the beds were sooo cozy, the maid service was tremendous, and the mini bars were always well-stocked.

The beach is incredible. Very long and with powdery sand. Calm turquoise waters. Snorkeling opportunities (plentiful fish, starfish, rays). For activity and action, the beach in front of the Palace is best. If peace and quiet is desired, long stretches of serenity are available elsewhere. Beach loungers are everywhere. No reserving required. Shade is available under the countless swaying palm trees.

The many pools throughout the complex are gorgeous, sparkling clean, and offer whatever any guest is looking for. There is a sports pool, a swim-up bar at the endless Palace swimming pool, adult-only pools, multiple children's pools, and a pool with multiple water slides (extra charge). There were pool parties at the Palace and fun times as well at the Beach pool. Sun loungers could always be found. We moved from beach to pool and vice versa. Never had issues finding seating.

Both activity and quiet were available by day at the beach and pools. There were games and sports in which to participate. The entertainment Life teams were friendly and encouraged participation without bothering the guests. We played beach volleyball, bingo, beach "Olympic" games, mini golf, bocce ball, shuffleboard, ping pong, tennis, paddle tennis, worked out at the gym, and joined in with beach aerobics. We won several great prizes while playing bingo. We took out the sea kayaks, paddle boats, tried wind surfing, and snorkeled every day. Lots of fun in the sun. And relaxation too.

We were never far from either food or drink. The drinks were not watered down and usually very tasty. Most bartenders were hardworking and offered good service. The food at the various buffets and restaurants was amazing. The buffets had many offerings and it was easy to find yummy dishes to suit every taste. La Brisa is an amazing choice to lunch seaside. We dined at all specialty restaurants for dinner except the Coral Seafood. We did have a reservation there but decided to try Hoyo 19 that evening. The "specialty" dining was over-the-top delicious. There were so many items on each menu and so many different appetizers, soups, salads, entrees, and desserts that were offered. There was plenty to eat and each person in our group was truly so happy with every meal and could find nothing to criticize. Our service was almost always efficient and friendly. We had no trouble communicating with the restaurant staff. Although some in our group spoke no Spanish, we were all able to express our requests. Chez Gourmet is very elegant while the Mexican is festive. Each restaurant had its own distinct atmosphere and ambiance, allowing us to experience variety in our dining adventures.

After dinner, we attended some great shows. The Michael Jackson show is entertaining and the Circus show is amazing. We enjoyed the Broadway show and other presentations featuring singing and dancing. The Beach theater is very intimate with 2 pool tables and 2 ping pong tables in the rear, while the Palace theater features two floors of seating and is huge. Both are great and provide good evening enjoyment. The shows start each night at 10 pm. We would have preferred 9:30 since some in our crowd began to tire after dinner from the sunshine. Our two 16-year-olds loved the Strikers Sports Bar. They played pool in the pool room with other guests whom they met there and watched the FIFA soccer matches in the huge sports viewing area. They enjoyed the Sports Bar buffet which is open 24-hrs a day. Our 18- and 19-year-olds hung out at the Sports Bar as well and visited the disco on several evenings. The parents in our group spent time at the Casino and enjoyed the lobby bars as well. It was also delightful to walk the scenic path along the beach at night as it is lovely with the lighting. In addition, we took several train rides just to view the gorgeous property. We felt completely safe wherever we went.

We had an amazing time and a great vacation. It was sad to leave the resort as our stay was so pleasant and good. We have wonderful memories from our trip and highly recommend the resorts. Both are terrific.

We especially would like to thank the Barcelo Bavaro Beach Resort Director, Sandy Pfeil. We had issues booking with our travel company and she came to our rescue to help with our reservation. She is amazing, gracious, and does a magnificent job with the operations at the Beach. Barcelo is fortunate to employ such a wonderful director.

Room Tip: Buildings 4 and 5 are closest to the pool area, theater, and lobby.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank Seaourworld
Dear Guest,

As with any business like ours, the greatest advertising we can have is word of mouth from a satisfied customer. It’s our goal to retain you as a satisfied customer and will hope to serve you again in the future.

Warm regards,