“Beautiful Resort, Disappointing service”

Barcelo Bavaro Beach - Adults Only
Ranked #24 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 8 July 2014 via mobile

This was my 9th trip to an all inclusive, and my 7th to a Barcelo Resort. Most of my trips were to the Mayan Riviera in Mexico. Barcelo Maya being my favorite.

I will start with the positives... The resort and beach were beautiful, the rooms were clean and comfortable, and the food was good for AI standards.

And now the negatives... If you do not speak Spanish you will have a hard time communicating the easiest things. This being such a tourist area I was really surprised at how many servers could not speak any English. And on top of not speaking any English most of the servers did not seem very happy to be there, which kind of brings down the mood when you feel like you are burdening someone to wait on you. And the last complaint is about the nightlife. The nightly shows were embarrassingly bad (except the Michael Jackson show). I've seen many resort shows, and a lot of them are kind of corny, but I have never seen shows that had such bad choreography it looked like every person was doing something completely different, or trying to watch what the other person was doing so they could copy it. I would maybe even expect this from a small resort but this is a huge resort with hundreds of people watching. They do have a smaller show on the adults only side but we didn't watch that one. And if you like to go dancing at night you better know how to dance to Latino music because that is 80% of what they played.

So in conclusion... If you are English speaking and you have never been to an all inclusive you would probably still really enjoy this resort, but from my experience it doesn't compare to the service and friendliness you get in Mexico. And to be fair I am sure the longer the DR is a tourist area the more English speaking employees they will have.

Stayed: July 2014
5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Director Sandy P, General Manager at Barcelo Bavaro Beach - Adults Only, responded to this reviewResponded 12 July 2014

Dear guest,

We thank you for choosing Barceló Bávaro Beach for your holidays and for sharing your experience with the online community and give us your feedback.

I’m really sorry for you experience during your stay in our resort. In relation to language, this country is in Spanish, but in our resort we have different department where employees are multilingual as: English, French, German and Russian. These departments are Reception, Guest services, Club Premium and Supervisor at restaurants and bars.

We hope to give us the opportunity to provide the care and quality you deserve at a future visit.
We remain at your entire disposition for any assistance you might need before your visit.

Reviewed 7 July 2014

I was a little hesitant staying here with all the negative reviews but I'm so happy I went. I had an amazing time. I was placed in building two on the third floor and my side was very quiet and I had a balcony with a view of the ocean. Beds were comfortable would have preferred a king as a solo traveler but worked well in the double. The pool was clean and I never had to fight for a chair, the only bad part is that there is no swim up bar. Was able to enjoy the pool without children and that was a plus. Never went to the beach as I am not a beach person but it is steps from the pool and private access only. Check is was smooth but they are firm with the 3:00pm check in so I suggest you explore or bring a change of clothes to partake in the pool. The staff was super friendly at all times especially Evelin in guest services. I would definitely return to the hotel as a solo or with friends.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
5  Thank Jasmin C

Dear guest,

First of all we thank you for choosing our hotel Barceló Bavaro Beach for your holidays and for the time you took to share your review with the online community.

I am happy to read that your recent stay at our resort was overall what you expected and I thank you for your valuable comments in regards to Evelyn who did a very professional job.

We would like to have the opportunity to welcome you once again at Barceló Bavaro Beach.

Reviewed 7 July 2014

Overall my husband and I did not enjoy our trip to this resort. We stayed in the adults only area and our room had an amazing ocean front view. The view was one of the only things we enjoyed. The beach is very pretty, however the water is filled with sea grass and debris that constantly washes onto the beach. During our 7 day stay the sand was not even cleaned daily, it needed to be cleaned every hour.

I would describe the food as school cafeteria. This is far from fine dining. If you like Shoney's, Mc Donald's, etc. you will be very happy here. The food in the a la carte restaurants is no different than the buffet food except you get to order your entree and dessert from a menu. Not to mention after eating breakfast on the second day of our trip I became very sick with a stomach virus that lingered for 5 days. The staff was not surprised that I had contracted something likely from the food.

The alcohol is horrible as well. The beer and wine both taste very watered down. It's definitely worth it to buy a bottle of wine. What would be a $4 bottle of wine a store in the US costs $25 there, even that said it was worth it. The liquor was even worse. I ordered a vodka martini and there wasn't even a taste of vodka, it was more like 100 proof grain alcohol. One sip and I couldn't stand anymore.

If you do not speak Spanish, you will be at a huge disadvantage here when trying to communicate with the majority of the staff. The staff should be trained in at least basic words that are needed for serving at resort restaurants and bars.

We paid for club premium which granted us essentially nothing other than a private check in and in room internet. The private check in even got messed up. When we first arrived we were directed to the main front desk and after the gentleman and 2 others looked for our reservation for 20 minutes, the response was "we can't find your reservation so you must be club premium and you should go to their desk". If he had bothered to look at the printed reservation papers I handed him he would have immediately seen what type of reservation we had, instead of freaking me out thinking they didn't have reservation. Why when typing my last name into the computer he couldn't see our reservation I'm not sure. The food in the club premium lounge is the same buffet crap you get at all the other restaurants. You might as well skip "club premium" and pay for the internet service.

Our room was serviced very sporadically. The towels were replinished daily but that was it, some days we didn't even get wash cloths. We waited three days before complaining that our mini bar and coffee items had not been replinished since we arrived, then it was another day before it was replinished.

The gym was a 15 minute walk from our room and didn't open until 7 am.

Needless to say we will not be returning.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Melissa M

Dear Guest,

I want to thank you for taking your time to share the experience in the community of Tripadvisor.com.

Yours comments are important to our company, because as a result we can improve in aspects mentioned by you.

Our main goal is the satisfaction of our customers.We have located your room number and we know all your complaints and we apologize for the inconvenience presented during your stay, we would have liked to come closer to talk with the management of the Hotel and be able to satisfy your needs immediately.

We hope that you will give us the opportunity to change the negative perception that has taken us.

Reviewed 7 July 2014

Evelyn is an amazing and wonderful representative of the hotel she is enchanting and sweet and very helpful, I was staying at a different place and the service there wasn't that amazing but once I changed to this hotel everything was great!!! For sure coming back next year the food is super good and restaurants are big and spacious and everyone at the hotel is friendly and smiley

• Stayed: July 2014

Dear guest,

I will like to thank you for highlighting out the excellent service of our friendly staff and also for pointing out the beauty of our grounds and our excellent gastronomy. Thank you for naming those who made a difference during your visit like Evelyn Ramirez.

We will be honored to welcome you back. Do not hesitate to contact us prior your next visit.

Warm regards,

Reviewed 7 July 2014

We stayed at the resort from 27 June until 6 July.I have been on Trip Advisor for some time prior to our holiday and was a bit concerned with one or two negative comments about various aspects of the resort.Almost immediately,on arrival,we received a friendly and prompt welcome from reception staff.
This theme continued for the duration of our stay,we were allocated room 2078,which was on the 2nd floor,with the most glorious sea view,quiet a/c,well positioned and ideal for all amenities but not too close in terms of noise level.Bathroom is probably due a refurbishment but still in an acceptable condition.Our room was cleaned daily,towels changed daily and everything replenished as we used it,even the mini bar which contained alcoholic drinks as well as non alcoholic.
The food in all a-la-carte restaurants is to a high standard,booking is essential but the buffets also carry a wide variety of choice and enough to satisfy any appetite.
We stayed at the Adults only section but ventured into the family area which at times appeared a bit manic at poolside.
The Bavaro beach is stunning and we could have spent all day just enjoying the incredible sea view.It is cleaned daily and it reflects well on the management of the resort.
All staff were helpful and could not have done any more for us.
All in all,it was paradise for us.

Room Tip: We e-mailed the resort 2 weeks before our arrival date,requesting a 2nd floor apartment with a sea v...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Allison M

Dear guest,

We thank you for choosing Barceló Bavaro Beach for your holidays and for sharing your experience with the online community and give us your feedback.

Is a pleasure for me and the all team of Barceló Bavaro Beach that you chose us, hoping to have you here. We are grateful for all your comments and hope to see you at our hotel and make them feel a true paradise.

There are no words to express my most sincere gratitude about your valuable and helpful comments about your recent stay in our hotel.

Reviewed 6 July 2014

Great time which exceed any expectations I had since this isn't the most expensive resort in Punta Cana. The food was amazing, the staff was always helpful and in great spirits, The beach is BEAUTIFUL! I've been to other resorts and have to Rank Bavaro at the very top. I will be back again very soon.

• Stayed: July 2014
2  Thank TripLuver81

Dear guest,

We thank you for trusting in Barceló Bávaro Beach for your holidays and for sharing your experience with the online community and give us your feedback.

Thanks for choosing us as a destination for you stay. For us is very important the experience our guest have about their stay with us. We are glad to know that every time you have stayed with us, you have been able to enjoy of many unique and memorable experiences due to the amazing staff, the high quality food and drinks and resort facilities.

Reviewed 6 July 2014

Firstly I would say the beach is gorgeous, the sea is clear and warm and you are never short of finding a sun bed and shade. The pool is exceptionally clean and 98% of the time you could find a sun bed with shade, the only time I found you may have trouble was around 12o'clock when people tended to come of the beach to go to the pool, I advise not to ever leave your towels as people were stealing them and the hotel can charge $20 a towel (I emphasise the word can as we had ours stolen on the second day and the hotel kindly allowed us to have another 2 at no extra charge for which I was very grateful). There are plenty of restaurants to try out (even though they are in the Palace Deluxe side) and we never had a problem getting a reservation as long as you are not demanding on your time slots and particular days, saying that we managed to get all of ours around the 7 pm time (the Japanese was my favourite). The main buffet restaurant has a great choice and I can honestly say the food didn't bore us during the whole 2 weeks we were there. We didn't see the entertainment every night but I will say some nights were fantastic others were good and there were a couple that were not so good. The rooms were large definitely in need of refurbishing but that certainly didn't ruin our holiday and the beds are extremely comfortable with plenty of pillows. I can honestly say that I never had a single problem with the staff not speaking English because they do, some may only know a little but this never caused a problem. All in all the staff there work incredibly hard, the restaurant staff never stop, there are never dirty plates left all tables are cleared immediately and they are always refilling your drinks when your glasses run low. The staff who serve you at Mamey's Bar and the surrounding tables (which is in the lobby) are a credit to the hotel, their service is impeccable and the girls never let our drinks run low, constantly emptied the ashtray and always had a smile on their faces.
Now for the few bad points that I feel let the Hotel down but certainly didn't ruin my holiday:- The Gift Shop, they do not accept money you either pay by credit card or charge to you room which we personally found frustrating as we had taken dollars with us. The second thing is the room maids, I found them to be inconsistent with the cleaning and restocking of the mini bar, coffee, milk etc and not once did they do any displays on our bed with the towels which I have never experienced normally I would take photos of what they had done but sadly no photos this holiday :-(.
Lastly the shopping trip... we were put under the impression we would be taken to a shopping centre called San Juan but sadly not, you are taken to a cigar museum which had a few windows of tobacco leaves, information as to how they dried them out then you see a guy making cigars to the inventible buy our cigars, then into the gift shop which is considerably more expensive then the Hotel gift shop. They then take you to another museum (chocolate) but I am unable to comment as I had made the cigar museum call the hotel to take us directly back to the hotel angry that we had wasted half a day of our holiday on something we didn't want or ask for. My suggestion to you all is get a taxi to the shopping centres yourself it is only $10 each way and well worth it, do not be scared into the fact it's not safe because it is there are plenty of police and security at the shopping centres.
The only other trip we did was the luxury catamaran cruise slightly expensive at €189 per person but well worth it we had a fantastic day and Emilio and the staff catered for our every need. Despite my few bad points all in all we had a fantastic holiday and will definitely go back :-) The last couple of bits of information I could give which I couldn't see on trip advisor before we went on holiday is, internet is $45 for 7 days and the signal is fantastic even on the beach, and Mosquitos there are some so take repellent :-)

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
5  Thank Emma R

Dear Guest,

Thank you to take your time to write a review and choosing Barceló Bavaro Beach as a destination during your holidays. We also appreciate your personal opinion about the hotel, the staff and the food. We take all guest feedback very seriously, and we're constantly improving all aspects with honesty.

Thank you very much again to give us your opinion and I hope you see you soon in our Barceló Bavaro Beach.