“A perfect family vacation with the family concierge service!”

Paradisus Punta Cana Resort
Ranked #25 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
GreenLeadersGold level
Newmarket, Canada
“A perfect family vacation with the family concierge service!”
Reviewed 22 April 2012

My husband and I just returned from a week with our two daughters (3 and 6). We stayed in the Reserve section and had the family concierge service. We felt pampered!

Check in: was very smooth, ensure when you get dropped off a the main lobby that you tell the men helping with the luggage that you are going to the "Reserve" and they will have your luggage put in a separate area and will call you a golf cart to take you to that section to check in.

Our room: we had the best room, location wise, for our family. It was a one bedroom with a king bed and pull out couch (the pull out couch looked LESS than comfortable but for 30lb and 60 lb kids I don't think they even noticed). We were on the main floor (never saw a bug) right outside of the kids pool. We would hop over our railing as often as we needed to get back to the room - it was so convenient. We could only hear the night time entertainment when we were sitting on the patio at night. It was very peaceful and quiet. We were in room 1404.

Family Concierge service: Ovidio was our concierge and he was wonderful! Extremely attentive and always available when needed. He was so attentive that we never used our cell phone that he gave us even though he told us to call him at any time. He made our dinner reservations and they were well thought out. He also ensured we had a cabana reserved at the beach/pool. He even called Mike at the beach, in advance, to let him know we were on our way down. Thank you Ovidio! You made our week!!

The pool: we spent a lot of time at the kids pool and the reserve pool. Many days we felt like we had our own private pool, it was so quiet. We lived in our little cabana by the pool and got to know the servers so well. Thank you to "Drinky Drinky wooh wooh" Emilio and Ramon Ramirez for taking care of us! By mid week Ramon knew our family drink order and ensured we always had our drinks even if we weren't at the cabana, they were there waiting for us.

Food: was ok. We weren't blown away by the Gabi. Breakfast was good enough and the kids loved when we ordered room service for breakfast since we had a dining table (its free for family concierge!). We only ate at the Gabi once for lunch as it wasn't all that great and we enjoyed just ordering from the grill and eating a 'picnic' in our cabana by the pool. Dinners were nice; Steakhouse was good, Japanese was very nice, Brazilian was neat and I loved the turkey, Chinese was 'ok' but make sure you wear bug spray I got eaten alive! Italian was very nice and we had a little private dining area which was a treat. I had the shrimp penne and really enjoyed it. We at at the Romantico which was good but note: men MUST wear long pants and buttoned down dress shirts but most importantly must have closed toe shoes - no sandals even if they are closed toed. They are very strict about this and you will be turned away. We also ate at the Fuego which is for Family Concierge and Royal Service only. It was very good but I do not recommend it for children. They do not have a children's menu (which you can ask for at any restaurant by the way). Our children didn't eat anything, which was disappointing.

General: the beach is spectacular, ocean is very wavy and I believe it is like that all the time. You can catamaran 1 hour a day which was lots of fun. There are always lots of chairs available. The grounds are beautiful and immaculate. One day a gardener opened a coconut for the girls to drink and eat, that was so nice of him, kids got a kick out of it. They have a couple trampolines in the activities area that the kids loved. The reserve section is far away from the beach but if you exit by the kids pool then we were at the beach within 7 minutes walking. We only took the trolley's at night when we were going between our room and the restaurants. We never had to wait too long for a trolley but I did hear of some people having to wait a long time.

One concern I had was all the traffic. I found it very disappointing that there was no service road. I was walking with two small children constantly worried that we would get hit by a truck or a trolley passing a truck. It really distracted from the calm and beautiful environment. It was also very smelly as the trucks passed us by.

We will, hopefully, most definitely return!

Room Tip: We loved our room in the Reserve section as it was closest to the kids pool, which was important to...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Kate_Newmarket_11

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,187)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
New York, NY
Reviewed 22 April 2012

My boyfriend and I just got back from 6 days at Paradisus. I read far too many reviews for this hotel before going, and I was somewhat scared of what I would find. Its not as bad as most people say. Its actually a very beautiful hotel with a few minor issues. This was our first time at an all-inclusive and we would do it again. We took the Coco tour minivan to and from the airport and it was totally fine.

Pros: The hotel grounds are stunning. They take excellent care of the area. The open air feel to the entire place is awesome. I contacted the hotel prior to our arrival and requested a renovated room because of many of the reviews I read. When we got to our room, it was breathtaking. Definitely request an upgraded room. We even had our own outside bed off our back porch- it was awesome. The bed was big and comfortable and the shower was beautiful. We were a 2 minute walk to the beach. We were extremely satisfied with our room. Maria from Guest Services hooked us up and we're very thankful. There were even flowers on the bed and a bottle of wine left for us the first night. She left us a note on the last day hoping we had a good time- great service on her part.

The beach is amazing. It was my first trip to the Caribbean, and the beaches are so worth the trip. We laid on the beach every day and never had trouble finding chairs or huts to lay under. The pool was great too. Never had a problem finding a chair. The pool bar was a lot of fun too.

The best bar is the lobby bar. There is music and entertainment every night. We discovered the Disco lounge the last 2 nights we were there and it was a great time. Good mix of English and Spanish music.

Bar tip- I found myself hungry a lot of the time (more on that later), but the bartenders have peanuts behind the bar- all you have to do is ask. Also, you get much better service/stronger drinks if you tip your bartender. I noticed that a lot of people did not tip for drinks or food...

I am allergic to gluten and client services gave me a card in Spanish to show the staff letting them know of my food allergies- that was awesome.

Cons: Upon arrival, we were assigned a "personal concierge." Waring: This person is not there to help you, they are there to sell you their vacation club. He told us about the hotel and then asked us to meet him for breakfast the following day for a "tour of the hotel." We tipped him very generously with the hopes that he would help us out while were were there. He called and woke us up at 9:00 am on the first day of our vacation to come and meet him. Once we got down to breakfast, he began his spiel about the vacation club. We told him we weren't interested and he continued. He said we could talk to the vacation club people for 30 minutes and then opt out, and he would still get paid. So we said we would do that for him. This was not the case. They were very pushy and there was definitely a language barrier. It was getting very aggravating, so we just declined. He found us and asked us what happened so we told him it didn't work out like he had said. He continued to be pushy by asking us to do the presentation the next day, or the next day....We were nervous to see him because he was always pestering us. It really put a damper on the vacation. It should have been relaxing, not stressful. My advice would be to be very firm and direct if you want to say no. He also said that he would help us with reservations to Japanese restaurant and help us coordinate our transportation back to the airport and to our zip-lining trip, and he didn't do any of that. So we basically tipped him generously and he did nothing but pester us in return.

Food-(I'm going to preface this by saying that we live in Manhattan and eat the best food in the world, so our standards could be different. I also have Celiac and cannot eat gluten )The food was definitely below average. Breakfast is fine. Lunch at the restaurant by the beach is gross because all of the food is sitting out in the heat. The steakhouse, Italian restaurant, and Romantico are the best. We didn't eat at the Japanese place because we couldn't get a reservation. The seafood at Luna is awful. The room service food takes an hour to get and was exceptionally bad. Everything was overcooked. I was hungry alot of the time. I think I lost weight at an all-inclusive resort. They don't have any places where you can just grab something quick throughout the day like chips and salsa- something to hold you over until dinner. I spent $8 for a bag of chips at the gift shop because I was starving. I basically lived on fruit, chick peas, and rice and beans for a week.

Bring smaller bills for tips- they can't make change for you a lot of the time. I would suggest bringing $50 in 1's. And some 5's and 10's. Everyone there is looking for a tip.

The last thing I want to mention is that 2 of my bracelets disappeared. Put everything in the safe. We did not tip the housekeeping due to this indiscretion...

Room Tip: Request a renovated room on the first floor.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Ryann W
PARADISUSPuntaCana1, General Manager at Paradisus Punta Cana Resort, responded to this review, 1 May 2012
Dear guest,

Before hand we would like to thank you for taking the time to let us know your comments from your vacation here at our Paradisus Punta Cana. As we are deeply committed to achieving our guest’s total satisfaction, your opinion is very important to us.
I thank you for the compliments gave to the grounds, the rooms, the beach, the loby bar, the pool, and all the other amenities. It is a pleasure for me and all my staff to know you enjoy our Paradisus Punta Cana.
I am sorry to know that we did not fulfill your food expectations but please have in mind that our Resort is not only equipped with the corresponding amenities but also with well trained chef to make sure they give each one our clients the food service they deserve. I can assure you that your comment will be sent to the departments involve making sure they reinforce or find way to improve in case of need.
Also, we would like to offer our sincerest apologies for the inconvenience that you have experienced throughout your stay with the time share sale. At the same time you can feel assured that your comments helped us identify or focus and take whatever corrective actions may be necessary.

We hope to see you again in the Resort enjoying other vacations.

Regards,

Needham, MA
Reviewed 22 April 2012

Second time there. We had a great time. The tip about asking for a recently renovated room was definitively worth it. Service overall was excellent and found the staff to be attentive and courteous. The service at the pool bar was exceptional, in particular one of the bar tenders, Juan Ruiz. Extremely nice person and very creative. My wife wanted a passion fruit cocktail and they didn't have one on the menu but it didn't matter, he made one up he made something up and it was delicious.
Only two things were less than stellar. First, the drinks waiters at most of the locations were not great, often forgetting the orders. We had to keep placing the order over and over. Also the bell service did not come to pick us up at the requested time. Thankfully another hotel staff stopped over and loaded our luggage in his golf cart and took us to the checkout so we didn't miss our ride to the airport.
Overall a great experience. I will recommend this resort and would go back.

Room Tip: Ask for a recently renovated room
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
Dear Maurogon,

I would like to extend you my gratitude for selecting us to celebrate your vacation and for sharing the impressions of your stay. I am happy to know that you put such a confidence in us with your vacation for a second time.
I feel proud to know that each one of my staff participated in making your stay more enjoyable by providing you with excellent service. Also, I am thankful for the compliments we received from you.
I and all the Paradisus Punta Cana team await you soon at the resort for your next vacations.

Saint Thomas
Reviewed 22 April 2012

This is one of the nicest places we have stayed at. The staff were exceptional and the hotel was clean and elegant. My favourite was the food and the way you can go to any restaurant for supper and not just 3/ week

My only complaint was our Hola represtative through westjet. She was not at all helpful with even something as simple as getting the weather information. We booked an excursion through her for the Wednesday, she took our money and gave us a ticket but no one came to pick us up and she was not there to help us. She did return our money but offered nothing to compensate us for our lost excursion. We didn't trust her after that to even bother dealing with her again.

Room Tip: Try to ask for a room near the beach and restaurants. The resort is spread out and there is a troll...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Barrie, Canada
Reviewed 21 April 2012

just returned from a week with girlfriends at this resort.(zambuca girls!)
i have been to 6 other resorts in punta cana and this one would rate one of the top. each resort alittle different. i enjoyed the tropical setting and especially the pool offering the most options for both sun, shade and chairs.
resort-it is very large! we stayed in renovated building, not Reserve. ours was close to beach, pool and restaurants-it was perfect. offered wifi in the room but we couldnt get it to work.
food-italian and steakhouse our favourites.all great staff at the steakhouse-elaina and ernesto included .buffet always had something to offer. would not recommend chinese restaurant as i was sick all night from the food. no reservations required at these restaurants.
beach-the best anywhere-you can walk forever. windy this week but fun.
staff-they all work hard and willing to help. smile and say hola. treat them with respect and you'll get it back. language sometimes an issue-but its their island-try to learn it.
special thanks to the wonderful bartenders at the main pool and Hector from entertainment staff.

suggestions to management-couple of things that could be improved on.
-service in all 3 of our rooms were hit and miss for restocking the room. we all had to call for certain things, water, coffee, towels, etc. a better process of checking rooms after cleaning to enure restocked.
-nightly entertainment-we were disappointed that the theatre was rented out and entertainers had to work in a small area in the lobby with standing only. being shorter, we usually couldnt see anything. i understand the business decision to rent the theatre-but we are paying clients also.
-better signage and direction at the restaurants -had the map, but was still confusing. also, place a menu at the outside door of each restaurant so people can check it out beforehand.
-reserving for the japanese restaurant was terrible. we stood in line 2 mornings for 1/2hr to reserve and didn't get a sitting either time. we gave up. apparently they were either booked for weddings or the Reserve sections that get priority. better solution needed for everyone to have an opportunity to book.
This was a wonderful resort and would recommend to anyone. would be happy to answer any questions.
Thanks for a wonderful vacation!

Room Tip: ask for renovated room, if not in Reserve section
Barrie
Reviewed 21 April 2012

This was our first vacation at Paradisus Punta Cana, second time for me in Punta Cana! Loved the beach and the pool and the staff! Very friendly & helpful. Thanks Hextor for blowing up our air mattress for the pool. You are the best. Hope you had a nice visit with your family, we missed you on our last day in paradise. Must say all staff are exceptional at there jobs. Thanks Paradisus for the best girls week away ever!

Room Tip: We requested a unit close to the beach.
Schweiz
Reviewed 19 April 2012

SUMMARY
very content; I recommend the hotel; I would go again; a "warm" place to be where elegance is visible also through the visitors (the way of dressing etc.)

CIRCUMSTANCES
vacation with my sister; 1 week; I don't speak Spanish, she does.

HOTEL
the rooms are in different buildings spread over the hotel area; most restaurants are concentrated/connected with each other; the paths to the rooms/lobby/beach are nice and well taken care of (like a big garden); there are vehicules to transport you; a small shop with beach clothes, creams, jewelery, souveniers etc. the prices are though higher than "outside"; all in all I had the impression to be in a nice, small village that is not over-crowded. - watch out for slippery floors when it rains.

ROOM
positively surprised; cleaning good; comfortable decoration/accomodation (also for the eye); free WLAN; airconditioning; water in small bottles. - no electricity twice (that we noticed); eco-management not visible the way they promote it.

RESTAURANTS/FOOD
good choices between different restaurants and food; favorite ones for dinner: the Brazilian and Luna; food is fine.

BEACH
a wonderful place to be; check-out the pictures on their website which are no fake; towels available. - people reserve seats by putting down their towels and could disappear for hours occupying the "best" seats.

SERVICE/EMPLOYEES
restaurant: very kind and caring; attentive; they fulfill your wishes. - my sister speaking Spanish and me not, excluded me in every conversation, it was uncomfortable to not be considered at all. lobby/bar: attentive; clean; barmen are entertainer themselves; in general: English and Russian is spoken, some also speak German and French.

ENTERTAINMENT/FREE TIME
the different shows every night are well organized and nice; possibility to meet the artists afterwards is possible; at the lobby dancing is organised, beautiful because you are outside with the bar and sitting and chilling possibilities; there are dancers who invite you to dance, they are not pushy; after the dancing they have an own disco; during the day there are cultural, dance, artistic... courses. - disco is not smokefree.

PERSONAL
a big THANK goes to Pepe, Romeo, Hector, Erick and Edry (part of the entertainment team) with whom we spend a very good time!

1 Thank Lidia_158
Dear Lidia,

I would like to thank you for letting us know that you have a good experience during your vacations at our Paradisus Punta Cana. You have to know that here in Paradisus Punta Cana we have a commitment to provide quality service beyond our guest’s expectations. Also, thank you for the compliment you gave to room, the cleaning, restaurant, the beach, the entertainment and the staff.
I appreciate that you took the time to write and let us know your comments on the staff and the hotel.
I look forward to hosting you again at Paradisus Punta Cana Resort.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Punta Cana
Sanctuary Cap Cana by AlSol
#39 of 112 in Punta Cana
The Reserve at Paradisus Punta Cana
Paradisus Palma Real Golf & Spa Resort

Been to Paradisus Punta Cana Resort? Share your experiences!