“Amazing stay and wonderful service!”

Paradisus Punta Cana
Ranked #23 of 111 Hotels in Punta Cana
GreenLeadersGold level
New York
“Amazing stay and wonderful service!”
Reviewed 5 February 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Paradisus from Jan 12-19 and we had an incredible time. We originally reserved a Luxury Junior Suite, but upon arrival upgraded to the Royal Service which is absolutely necessary. We didn't have the butler (bc we didn't pay enough) but just getting the access to the private beach and pool with excellent concierge and the extra restaurant for breakfast, lunch and dinner was well worth it. Jose, Matiel and Jeremiah at the Royal Service beach made every day an incredible experience because they were always coming over to us to make sure that we were doing okay. At night, we would go to the M Bar by the beach and Jose, Mini Mike and Juan were awesome and made wonderful drinks and put on a great little show. If we didn't go there at night, we'd go to the lobby bar which brought a great crowd, but was quite a walk away from our room.

That brings me to my next point. Because we didn't have a butler, it was basically impossible to get a ride from our room to the lobby area where a couple of the restaurants were. While this wasn't a huge issue, it was still very difficult walking there (with a few drinks in you) because it was a good 8-10 minutes from our room. However, the scenery is beyond beautiful and getting a ride back from the lobby proved to be much easier.

Most of the staff speak VERY little English, so hopefully you know at least a little bit of Spanish (we know very little).

The food at the resort was...okay. It wasn't terrible for us because thankfully we didn't have to eat at the buffet for lunch bc we were in RS (thank god! the lunch at gabi looked and smelled terrible!) That being said, we were not aware until a couple of days before we left that there is another buffet right by the beach (something with an N that I can't remember) and also the Italian restaurant, Aqua, that serve lunch. The other buffet was much better than gabi

My other minor (sorta?) issue was the drinks. Not the best. We found ourselves drinking white wine and mimosas at the beach because anything other than the pina coladas and the daquiris (which were excellent) were not great. But, the bartenders were awesome so we didn't want to make a stink about it.

Overall, Paradisus was much more upscale than we had expected, and it was one of the only hotels we have ever been to where we would consider over looking other hotels to return to. Upgrade to the RS, get the butler WHEN YOU GET THERE (you'll probably need/want him more times than not, but it's a lot more when you book RS originally), and enjoy everything the hotel has to offer. Just make sure you ask other visitors about perks of the hotel, such as restaurants, because the employees tend to withhold some info like they did with us.

Room Tip: Royal Service by the beach. Massages on beach were okay if you are not used to actual spas (these w...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Adrianna R
Paradisus P, General Manager at Paradisus Punta Cana, responded to this review, 6 February 2014
Dear Adrianna,

Receive warm greetings from Paradisus Punta Cana.

First of all we would like to thank you very much for have sharing your amazing experience with the rest of the world; it has been a pleasure to host you at our incredible hotel.

Know that our priority is to make the best of all our guests’ vacations an experience to remember for life… an unforgettable one.

We would also like to thank you for the points that you have highlighted, we would like to inform you that good notes has been taken in order to avoid these kind of inconvenience in a future.

Our collaborators are always in the best disposition to comply all your needs and requests; we will congratulate Jose, Matiel, Jeremiah, Jose, Mini Mike and Juan for a well done job.

Thanks for have chosen us as your vacation destination.

General Manager.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,135)
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Reviewed 5 February 2014 via mobile

Hi my boyfriend and I came to Paradisus Punta Cana mid january for 1 week. The resort is huge.. I suggest you to take the Royal Service for 3-500$ more. Food was good too and loved the Passion restaurant. Topless is allowed at the beach and around the pool only in Royal Service area. 1 week is not enough next time will be 10 days :) 1st time in Punta Cana but will definetly come back ! Weather was great also everyday

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Receive warm greetings from Paradisus Punta Cana.

With an excellent weather for a wonderful vacation at our hotel, let us express to you how proud and happy we feel to read the experience about your recent stay at our property, since it is our priority, to make of all our guests vacations a special and memorable experience.

Our property offers a wide variety of facilities for your enjoyment such as our Royal Service area an only for adults part of our hotel that offers a completely personalized service.

We want to thank you very much for your loyalty and recommendation; it will be definitely a pleasure for us to host you once again on your prompt return.

Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 5 February 2014

My wife and I went to Punta Cana for our late honeymoon. We just came back from Punta Cana today. This trip supposed to be a dream trip for us, but the first day I arrived there was a worst day of my life because of this resort!! I booked the trip through Expedia.ca. In case any reservation mistakes (saw that in other reviews), I asked and had an email confirmation from the resort 10 days before I arrived. After long flight from Canada to DR, my wife and I were really tired and would want to have some nice relax time in there. However, the resort told us it was overbooked and there was absolutely no room for anyone!! My wife and I could not believe what we heard. I have travelled to many places, but never saw anything like this. There were few other sad couples like us with no rooms as well. I tried to talk to different staffs and manager, but the only solution we got was to send us to another resort (Memories Splash Resort) for at least 3 days. I have never heard that resort before, but they guaranteed me the resort is equally good. While we were waiting to see if any other options available, we saw some people walked in and checked in without any issues. I asked the manager, he told me they had to pick someone by system. We were just not lucky enough to be picked!!! I could not understand the answer he gave to me. What a joke it is! I was told there was no room for anyone, but then they told me a different answer!! I feel like I was played! You can imagine how mad we are! After long discussion with them, both of us were really tired, so we said yes to go to the different resort (Big Mistake!). Once we arrived at Splash Resort, we noticed this is not an equal quality resort as Paradisus. It has only 4 restaurants and so far away from beach so we have to take train to get there (the one resort beside beach is called Royalton which is better one than Splash). There are no restaurant nearby the beach, so we will need to travel back for lunch or dinner. I booked an Junior Suite with King size bed, but I only got a standard room with two double size beds. The room smells weird with basic renovation! I am not saying the resort is bad, we paid so much to get a better service but we were downgraded! Paradisus made the mistake, why we had to pay the price! They should upgrade us instead of downgrade. With all the brand names at Meliá (Paradisus Palma Real and Reserve Paradisus Punta Cana), they have to cheap it out! We were so upset and my wife was crying for hours!! This was a nightmare and totally ruining our honeymoon!! I had to call Expedia to complaint the situation. Thanks to Expedia. They found Dreams Punta Cana Resort and transferred us to there. We arrived Punta Cana at 2pm, but we got to the room of Dreams after 10pm without eating anything in between! I had to re-schedule all my activities due to the resort change with extra cost. That is all because the poor management at Paradisus!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
10 Thank Leon L
Keller, Texas
Reviewed 5 February 2014

Couldnt have asked for more in a vacation! We were treated wonderfully at every level of service within our stay. We truly felt like we was appreciated by the staff. Special thank you to our Butler Nicolas Maracallo who provided us with excellent and personalized service.
The rooms and resort were perfect and the detail of ammenties were fantastic.
Only negative would be the pricing was a little higher than simalar Resorts.

Room Tip: Be sure to use your Butler for anything you want. Also, room service will provide you anything you c...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Receive sunny greetings from Paradisus Punta Cana.

We are glad to know how satisfied you felt with our services and accommodations during your whole stay, since it is definitely our priority, to take care of all the details during your vacations to make of it an amazing experience.

Knowing that we have made of your stay an unforgettable time through your review makes us happy and proud since it is a proof that what we are doing is the right thing. Know that all our collaborators are always in the best disposition to make everything possible for you, we will congratulate our collaborator Nicolas Maracallo for a well done job.

We will wait for your return with our excellence in service and best disposition at our Paradisus Punta Cana.

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 5 February 2014

I was new to this type of holidays but I have to say it was very difficult to get back to real life. Service was amazing, location was amazing, people were cool and food was excellent! Perfect to relax! We were there for about 1 week and everything was perfect. The island has a lot to offer and the village had everything you need to break from normal life and jump into a paradise.
Every night you could do something different and we even got good deal to get to know more the island with some of the guys working in the village.
Although for my concept of holiday it was a bit expensive I think it completely worth it and I would go back immediately if I could.
It does make sense to have an all inclusive of this level because you seriously turn off your brain as everything in the village is high quality so you don't have to worry about getting the right deal. I also got a box of sigars and the guy said: "no worries for paying me, go to the beach, smoke one, and when you have the wallet you come here to pay me" (which was cool given that I could have just run away with it).
Rooms were AMAZING. Cleaned twice a day, with all kind of extra luxurious things you need, room service free 24/7, liquors and other alchool always available in your room, mini-bar with food also available (and always filled with fresh stuff).
Bars were excellent. 1 bar has everything fresh (real fruit) so cocktail were absolutely fantastic. One of the best Negroni I ever drunk was from there.
It was very sad to leave this paradise.

Room Tip: If I had to choose, I would go for a room near the sea and close to the restaurants.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank BefanoPagano
Dear Befano,

Sunny greetings from Paradisus Punta Cana.

Thank you very much for sharing your amazing experience with the rest of the world.

We are glad to know that we have made of your vacations an unforgettable experience, since it is proof that we are achieving our main goal which is make the best of all our guests’ stays.

Know that we always put our biggest effort to comply all your needs and requests.

Our property offers a wide variety of facilities for all our guests’ enjoyment, always making good memories for a prompt return to our paradise on earth, Paradisus Punta Cana.

Our amazing rooms, facilities and accommodations will be waiting for your next stay, it will be a pleasure for us to host you one more time.

Thank you for your loyalty and recommendation.

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 4 February 2014

We were in Paradisus for the first week of Feb.

In general this resort is not bad. What bothered me was lack of honesty and lack of customer service. They advertise in their website, in all their brochures and ads, that this is a great place with a great customer service..... well, let's see:

#1: at the arrival time, we asked for an upgrade: they told us for a family of 3, it was $125/night. then we negotiated and agreed on $95/night, then after 5-10 min.s waiting with a child in the lobby at 11pm (after another family said they pay $125), they came over and said the room was not available!!!

#2: During the presentation for time share, they told us it would take only 90mins. of our time which is mostly during breakfast time,,,, it took 3.5 hrs, they promised us a free excursion for one person, instead they gave us $55 certificate, which worthed nothing.

#3: one afternoon, the glass wall/door between the bathroom and the vanity shattered and crashed on the floor. Pieces of glass were all over the floor. it took them 3 hrs. to come, take pictures and clean up the floor. One of the staff told us, they can offer us another room in the same area, but my response was that I would not pack and unpack our belongies unless you give us an upgrade for 2-3 nights, they were very polite and told us that they wish they could but there in no room available.

I checked the bathroom and still observed many pieces of glass in the bathroom area, under the vanity and also on the towel rack. I went to the main lobby and I asked the customer services for an upgrade myself. To my amazement!!! there were ROOMS available and when I told them why they DID LIE to me they backed up and said that they made a mistake and there was no room available!!!!

My point is, it is not really important if the food is not that great, if the pools are not that fancy or there are little things here or there that are not up to my standards or expectations,,, hey this is another country with a different culture and culinary,,,,,; however, I care if the service is not what I was promised, and also I care if people lie to me.

I will not recommend this place or any other affiliated place to anyone, since this issue is something systematic. this is they way they run their business, and based on the competition in this area/business, I would never go back or I would never recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank MaryToronto127
Dear Mary,

Sunny greetings from Paradisus Punta Cana.

We would like to sincerely apologize for the inconveniences encountered during your stay since it is not what our standards represent. Know that for us is a priority our guests satisfaction and we put our biggest effort to identify all our guests needs in order to follow up their whole stay to make the best of their vacation.

We have taken notes about the points you have mentioned and would like to count on a second opportunity from you to come back to our resort and make sure yourself of our improvements.

Thank you very much for have chosen us as your vacation destination.

Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed 4 February 2014 via mobile

I want to go back! It took a while to know where everything was located, and I think we missed out on some activities that we didn't happen upon. However, the resort has a lot to offer. We missed the orientation with our VIP gal because were scheduled and felt obligated to attend a sales presentation in the morning of our first full day. It wasn't a high pressure presentation, which actually made it more appealing. I was tempted and still considering as this is definitely a place I'll return to and it was nice to see other Club Melia options.
Our Room:
We had the 'basic' Jr Suite. It was sufficient for a couple, with plenty of closet/drawers space. Large shower with 2 heads. The 'King' bed was actually 2 full beds pushed together, so not ideal for comfort if you want to snuggle :). Would have liked a microwave to warm up our coffee. The maid came at various times, usually in late afternoon as we were coming in to get ready for dinner, so we only had her replenish water most days. They told us to only drink bottled water, including for teeth brushing, so could have used more than what was normally stocked. They also offer sodas in mini-fridge! Nice patio with view of well-landscaped grounds.
Beach/Pools:
Live the turquoise water and soft sand! Beautiful pools with swim up bars! Wish we'd known about Royal Service option when we booked with travel agent. No idea what the extra cost would be, but I liked their pool much better, had nicer beach chairs, and wait service on beach. (It was hard to find lounge chairs in sun at regular pool, and many of the beach chairs on 'our side' were broken). I prefer walking beach anyway, so wasn't huge issue for us.
Food:
We thought most of the food was fabulous! Nice buffet variety at Naos and Gabi Beach for breakfast and lunch. Our concierge reserved our dinners for us after asking our preferences. They only had 9:30 pm open each night when we arrived, so not sure if contacting resort before you go is an option? Our concierge did a great job of finding us cancellations for better times, and calling us with updates. Our favorite was Vento (Mediterranean). We also loved Fuego (Latin). The Grill was good (Steaks). We didn't care for Aqua (Italian). We didn't get to try the Mole (Mexican), but heard mixed reviews). I'd opt for Vento or Fuego each night when I go back!
Getting Around:
The resort is spread out, but we love to walk. You figure out the locations of everything pretty quickly, and signs with maps are along the paths. They do provide shuttles as well.
Activities:
Again, we didn't keep ourselves up on options. There was a bungee, rock climb wall and ping pong table near our room, but never saw staff there to be able to use. They offered beach and pool aerobics and dance classes... Enthusiastic/fun instructors.
Other:
The grounds were beautiful... Well- manicured.
Most staff was friendly, helpful, and spoke good English!
We weren't sure of appropriate tip amounts... Would have liked some direction. We went with $1-$2/ drink at bars, $2 breakfast and lunch and $5 dinners. Also, a few per day for Maid and had plenty ready for times we asked for help. It all seemed right, but most staff were always pleasant and smiling so hard to tell.
The gift shop stocks toiletries, sun products, tobacco..., but be prepared for high resort prices. To be expected at any resort, but bring what you can.
Again, staff was great and I wish I'd gotten the names of all our favorites, but shout out to a couple of great ones, Leonardo S (our concierge) and Juan
Diego (an awesome bartender).

• Stayed February 2014
2 Thank Ron K
Dear Ron,

Receive warm greetings from Paradisus Punta Cana.

Thank your for such warm words, it is definitely a pleasure for us to know through your review that we are achieving our main goal which is to make of all our guests vacations a memorable experience. Know that for us is a priority our guests satisfaction reason why we always try to identify our guests needs in order to comply all their requests.

There were maybe some things that you did not feel comfortable with and it does not go with our standards. We would like to apologize for any inconvenience encountered.

We will definitely wait for your next return to our Paradisus Punta Cana.