“Do NOT go to Paradisus Punta Cana”

Paradisus Punta Cana
Ranked #20 of 110 Hotels in Punta Cana
GreenLeadersSilver level
Houston, Texas
“Do NOT go to Paradisus Punta Cana”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2014

Having travelled throughout the world, and stayed at properties ranging from the Four Seasons to a Holiday Inn Express, I can honestly tell you that this was, without a doubt, the single most unpleasant experience I've had. When we selected this resort we assumed that a hotel chain of this calibre had high standards regarding it's guest's comfort. Allow me to briefly detail some of the unacceptable "events"
we suffered while guests at this hotel:

1. The air conditioning did not work in our room.
2. The toilet in our room did not work.
3. There was no WIFI in the room.
4. There were ants in the room that infested our clothing.
5. Housekeeping did not come at all one day.
6. Scubaquatic, their beachside vender, double charged us for a reservation, then cancelled a booking at the last minute.
7. The front desk routinely gave out misinformation.
8. The quality of the excursions offered were beyond sub-standard.
9. At no point did the hotel make any effort to rectify the situation in any way.
10. We spent over 6 hours at the guest services desk attempting to correct several of these issues - vacation time I cannot recover.
11. We rented the beachside hobie cat provided by the hotel, it broke (the metal cable holding the sail was rusted so badly it snapped in two), and we had to be rescued.

Travelers should be aware that there is no cocktail service on the beach or by the pool (even in The Reserve) and the bartenders actually seem offended when you place an order. There are no gym classes on the weekend.

Finally, after suffering all of this, the hotel has refused to right any of these wrongs and has offered no recompense.

6 Thank els007

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,106)
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Punta Cana
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2014

This place is huge, but way too spread out. It's hassle to walk to everywhere. I booked at a great price, so I can't complain too much but food was average. Best feature is the beach side bars and the white sand. However, I was bit a lot, not sure by what.

1 Thank Henry E
Paradisus P, General Manager at Paradisus Punta Cana, responded to this review, 26 June 2014
Dear Henry,

Receive warm greetings from Paradisus Punta Cana. Thank so much for choosing our hotel on your recent vacation.

I appreciate you have shared your experience with us and that you could delight the beautiful of our beach with white sand and the bar.

I do hope to welcome you once again at our Paradisus Punta Cana Resort and ensure you an unforgettable holiday.

Eduardo Perera
Beaconsfield
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2014

I had traveled to the Paradisus in 2007 on a very good deal and swore that if another promotion of the sorts showed up I wouldn't hesitate and we didn't!!

I traveled with my sister and mother in the hopes to find a quiet week in the sun, the Paradisus never fails to deliver on that front, even after the renovations, there are still beautiful luscious grounds, the food is much MUCH better than in 2007 the variety is unbelievable and the buffet has themed nights, we ate at the A la Carte restaurants most of the time but we still poked our heads into the buffet are to see what they offered. There are plenty of bars with a wonderful selection of top shelf alcohols no complaints in this department.

Our first room was located on the top floor but unfortunately our first night was tainted by a group of teenagers who were on their school spring break trip and did not care who knew it, their teachers were also spotted taking in copious amounts of alcohol on the beach so it's no surprise they had little to no supervision. We called security numerous times and they asked them to move elsewhere but upon their return at 4h am we had to call again. We were told by the hotel management that they were talking about revoking the spring break policy to schools as they were not that type of resort and didn't like the trouble that came with it.

We got moved to the Royal section the next day to a much quieter but surprisingly older room... We chose to keep the quiet as opposed to the new. Both rooms were gorgeous and modern and ULTRA clean! the balcony was our afternoon hangout as it was beautifully shaded and offered the perfect spot to relax after showers.

The beach is to die for! There are plenty of chairs, we never had a problem finding some but we did struggle a little bit with finding shade, there are umbrellas on the beach but people do reserve them early even if they dont spend the day there.

We would not hesitate to go back! 3 very different people found exactly what they wanted even though it was spring break!

Room Tip: The reserve is fabulous but far from the beach (I stayed there in 2007) Luxury Junior Suite top fl...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2014

The resort, beaches, pools and restaurants were good. The lack of help when they wouldn't give us our $450 in vouchers and free bottle of wine which were part of our deal. Terrible! We never got either.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family

1 Thank Drenne
Fargo, Oklahoma
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2014

This was a beautiful Resort. Very few hiccups; The only negatives were: despite repeated reports that my fridge/bar was not cold, they checked and insisted it was...the floor of the fridge was room temperature and the beverages barely below room temperature at best (the fridge was iced up ) My son reported his repeatedly (12 times) and finally got a new fridge. My internet seldom worked..once a day at best, and at check out, the person in charge had failed to notify my transport service to pick me up to take me to the airport so I was 45 minutes late in leaving for the airport with another transport service. After a race and a stop for gas, I made it in time. Otherwise, I couldn't say enough great about the resort...room service, beach, restaurants, friendliness. Beautiful resort. Other than the fridge and wifi, I believe the other incident was just a fluke. The all inclusive aspect was wonderful.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family

Dear Ruth,

Receive warm greetings from Paradisus Punta Cana Resort. I would like to thank you for selecting us as a destination for your last holidays.

I do apologize for the inconveniences you may have encountered during your stay and we appreciate you have put it at our attention in order to identify those areas that might need to be improve.

Regarding the incidence you have presented with the minibar, we have transmitted this information to the correspondent department in order to take appropriate actions to avoid this type of situation to other guests.

In relation of the wireless connection, please let me inform you that we have evaluate this theme with our internet provider in order to correct the inconvenience with this service.

On the other hand, I am so happy learn that besides the incidence you have presented, this not deter you to enjoy your vacations at fullest and have experienced a wonderful time with us.

I do hope to welcome you in a near future and ensure you a memorable holidays at our Paradisus Punta Cana Resort, always a Paradise.

Thank you very much for your trust and for recommending us.

Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2014

I traveled with my sister and friends for her 50th birthday celebration. Check in was a breeze and the welcome drink was satisfying. The grounds of the resort are simply gorgeous and the beach was beautiful. We got the chance to eat at several of the restaurants and enjoyed the meals. Kudos to Julio Hiraldo and Wilking Jidal, our waitservers, for taking care of us each morning and sometimes in the afternoon. Paradisus Punta Cana is a resort I would visit again and again.

Room Tip: Our room was located in Bldg 11. It was very spacious and modernly decorated. I loved the patio with...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Paradisus P, General Manager at Paradisus Punta Cana, responded to this review, 25 June 2014
Dear Judy,

Warmest greeitngs from Paradisus Punta Cana. I am so glad to learn that you have experience a gorgeous vacation with us.

I appreciate you have transmitting us such a nice impresseion about your recent visit and that you and your friends could enjoy our beautiful resort and beach.

we have congratulate Julio Horaldo and Wilkin Vidal for their magnific job. Your recognition is so valuable; since it is a motive in order to continue bringing satisfactories experiences.

Be sure that Paradisus Punta Cana Family will be waiting for your next return.

Thank you very much for your trust and recommendation.

New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2014

I came here for the first time to a friends wedding May of this year (2014). What an amazing experience, I loved the resort I cannot wait to go back. The staff was extremely friendly and very helpful. The accommodations were beautiful the view at night on the beach is amazing. Our second night there, there was a beach party which was just incredible all of the performers were excellent and the dancers were so nice and energetic. Special thanks to Margaret Inoa for taking me out of my comfort zone lol and taking me out to dance she was awesome, great job involving the crowd and having everyone participate. The resort had transportation (Trollies) which came every 10 mins and they were on time every time, great service!! I rented a bike along with a couple friends of mine, I suggest if you don't like waiting a few mins for the trollies rent a bike, it was such a great time riding around and exploring the resort which was so beautiful especially at night! The pool was the best i have to say, I loved the pool bar everyone was so friendly including the guests I had such a wonderful experience with my whole trip and I am so glad because it was my first time in DR. I can't wait to go back there!!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Paradisus P, General Manager at Paradisus Punta Cana, responded to this review, 24 June 2014
Dear Robert,

Warmest greetings from Paradisus Punta Cana Resort. I would like to thank you for sharing your impressions with us.

what a pleasure for me to know that in your first time in Dominican Republic you have experience an amazing stay and give us the honor of hosting you and be part of your unforgettable time.

Your words have been transmitted to Margaret Inoa and all of our collaborators; since, this is the best recognition for their wonderful job. I can assure you that all of them work everyday in order to offer all of you the most memorable time you deserve.

Thank you so much for your confidence and be assure that all of us will be waiting for your prompt return.