“Okay Honeymoon”

GreenLeadersGold level
Temple, Texas
“Okay Honeymoon”
Reviewed 20 July 2014

My husband and I stayed at Paradisus Punta Cana between July 11th through 18th. When we first arrived, seven hours later than expected--thanks to our flight being canceled- we were told that we did not have a reservation!!!! I spent a 1.5 hours trying to explain to them that I did have a reservation. I had a receipt, emails proving my reservation, and printed documents showing my reservation and room. I even had an email from the manager from that day welcoming me to the resort. But still, it was as though they didn't believe me. They argued with me that I was not "royal service" even though I had all the information stating that we did pay for the royal service. Finally, at 2:30 in the morning, they assigned us a room! However, we were told that we could only stay in that room till 12, because someone else was going to be staying in the exact room that day. They said they weren't sure where we would be staying the rest of our honeymoon.

They finally took us to our room and it was 80 degrees inside the room. We had just spent 1.5 hours in the lobby in absolute humid conditions with mosquitoes biting us everywhere. I thought the air would get cooler if we just gave it a little while. At 4 a.m., we could not handle it any more. It had not gotten any cooler. I called to the front desk and they said they would move us to another room. I'm sorry, but at 4 in the morning and after everything we had gone through just to get to a room, I was not about to repack part of our suitcase and be shuttled off somewhere else at 4 a.m. I asked for a fan, which they did send right away.

We woke up the next morning to talk with the royal service people about our room and situation. The ladies had already worked out that we would stay in the same room for the whole stay--please keep in mind that it was still 80 degrees in the room. I was happy to have a room, but not about the AC. They said they would send someone to fix it. At that point, my husband and I just wanted to get out of the room and start enjoying our honeymoon. We went for breakfast and were served "okay" food. We then went to the beach for this rest of the day. The beach was beautiful and the beds and chairs they provided for the royal service guests were very comfortable and relaxing. That night, we went back to the room and the air was still not fixed. I went back to the royal service office and complained and she said that she would upgrade us a ocean front suite! We were excited to be upgraded and most importantly, get out of that awfully hot room.

Our butler, Argie (who was definitely our lifesaver during our honeymoon) moved all our things to the new room. It was a little bit cooler in the new room, but we were told that if we gave it a few hours it would get to the temperature we wanted it at. Yeah right, never happened. For the next two days, I called at least 7 times asking about the air. Each time, they said that someone would come down and look at it. No one EVER came. When I'd call, they would tell me someone was already there and said it was okay. No one EVER came to our door. I would tell them this and it's like they didn't believe me. They kept questioning me. We finally just gave up with the AC and asked for a fan again. They offered to move us again, but three rooms later, I was done with moving my things!

The food was okay. The buffets served the same thing every day. Thank goodness we were royal service because that meant we would go to a different restaurant for breakfast and lunch that wasn't buffet. The dinner restaurants were much better than the buffets, not great but not bad. There were two times we ordered room service for snacks, and NEVER got the food. We gave up on room service after that.

Our butler, Argie, was absolutely wonderful. He checked on us every day to make sure things were going well for us. He made all of our reservations for dinner. When we told him about the AC problem, he tried to fix it himself because, he knew how frustrated we were with the maintenance and royal service. He got us whatever we needed and tried to make up for all the things that happened during the first few days of our honeymoon.

Regarding the room: if you don't mind your room being at 74 degrees of humidity and every piece of clothing, the bed linens, and paper being damp from the humidity in the room, you should be fine. We finally learned that the air throughout the whole resort was set on a certain temp and it could not be changed. We asked this question about the AC at least five times if this was true, but everyone always told us that we could adjust it to whatever we wanted--which is why we were getting so annoyed with the AC.

The beach and grounds were absolutely beautiful. You can tell that they cared about making sure everything looked pristine. The workers there worked incredibly hard making sure the grounds looked beautiful.

Overall, the experience was okay. We appreciated the upgrade to an ocean front suite. But, we didn't like how we constantly felt like we were being lied to. I don't know if it was miscommunication or the staff not knowing what to say. Parts of the staff were helpful and wanted to please us, so they tried to do everything possible to make sure we had a good stay. If you do decide to stay here, I would definitely recommend paying a little extra for the royal service room and extras that come with it. The adults only pool and beach were wonderful. Kids would be in the adults only beach sometimes, but I'm sure that is hard to manage at times.

We most likely will not be returning to this resort because of the problems we experienced, number one being the AC issue. The beach definitely saved our honeymoon!

Room Tip: Definitely go with the royal service experience if you are traveling as a couple.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank cdemartino88
Paradisus P, General Manager at Paradisus Punta Cana Resort, responded to this review, 21 July 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments and feedback; we very much appreciate your trust by letting us know about our areas of opportunity.

Most important is that you know how much it sadness us to learn that we weren’t able to meet your expectations; please accept our sincerest apologies for the unpleasant experience with your air conditioner and please be sure that with these comments we will take the opportunity to improve ourselves and make sure that any other of our guests has the same experience.

We would be honor if you could give us a second chance and provide you the quality service that characterizes us.

Please do not hesitate to contact us in case you decide to visit us again; we will be looking forward to hear from you.

General Manager.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,175)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Pembroke Pines, Florida
Reviewed 20 July 2014

This was one of the best experiences I have had! The hotel staff was very friendly and helpful, and was always there to assist. The rooms were very spacious, and the hotel overall was gorgeous from the pool to the beach to the lobby. I enjoyed the variety of food, and the seafood was very fresh! My friends and I also liked the variety of shows they had every day, and the enthusiasm of the performers made you want to get up and participate!!
The only negative is that the website says that there is Wi-Fi in the rooms, but that is incorrect (you can only connect to wi-fi in the lobby). I went to the front desk a few times to have them look at it, but it was never rectified.
Overall, it was an excellent experience, and I highly recommend everyone to go to the Paradissus Hotel for the view, friendly atmosphere, and to just relax!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us; we dearly appreciate your confidence.

We are glad to learn that you enjoyed the friendliness of our team, our maintained grounds and our location. However, we deeply lament that our internet service and facilities didn’t exceed your expectations, and we assure you that we will work based in this areas of opportunities in order to improve ourselves and provide to our guests the quality service they deserve, at the same time clarify that all of our rooms count with a free of charge Wi-Fi internet connection, we would have liked to identify that your room internet wasn’t working properly before your departure in order to fixed it and have made of your stay a better one.

It will be a privilege for us to receive you once more at our resort and make the best of your holidays.

Please do not hesitate to contact us in case you decide to visit us; we will be waiting for you.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 20 July 2014

My wife and I had a great week at this resort. Before reviewing the resort I'll give everybody a very good tip. Pay your tourist tax on line and avoid the lines at the airport.
Now onto the resort.
The biggest negative has to be the breakfast buffets. The pancakes waffles and French toast are always cold and the bacon has enough grease to lube a car.
The other BIG problem is having to avoid the people selling time shares every morning. This is totally annoying!
The good: We upgrade to Royal Service and we're right by the beach. Our room was comfortable although a few items in the room were dated. The bed comfortable and the A.C. Worked great. We did have a small issue getting items restocked.
Our butler (still sounds funny to me) Manual was fantastic! He checked in with us every day and the two minor issues we had he handled promptly for us. What a gentleman he was and always had time just to chat with us. If we ever return I will ask for him.
The grounds are immaculate and even with the resort being the largest we have stayed at finding our way around only took a few hours.
The longest we waited for a shuttle was around 10 minutes but you could easily walk to anywhere.
The staff from the groundskeepers on up make this resort. Everybody says hello to you as they pass by.
The best food for dinner was Lapalpa and the Vento. All the drinks were good and our new favorite is the Dominican Flower.
Night time entertainment was good and the Michael Jackson show was terrific!

One note to people with children: Please control them in the restaurants. There were about 15 other couples and us that had our dinners ruined by four children running around like little terrorists while we were eating. The staff tried several times to corral them back to their parents but they kept terrorizing the place.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank L R
Dear Guest,

Receive sunny Greetings from Paradisus Punta Cana; thank you for taking the time to share you experience with us.

We are glad to learn that you had the relaxed and calm holidays you were expecting; also, it makes us happy to know that you found the service our team excellent and that they were able to exceed you expectations. Nevertheless, please be certain that our Food & Beverages director highly appreciates your comments regarding your experience and he and his team will ensure that we improve this area of opportunity.

It will be a privilege for us to receive you and be able to regain your confidence.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 20 July 2014

We stayed at the Paradisus Punta Cana from June 23rd – June 30th 2014. We read reviews and saved all year to take our two kids to what we thought was going to be a family vacation of a lifetime.
Upon our arrival we were checked in and were taken to our room. As soon as we walked into the room we were hit with the worst odor of mold and mildew. The kids were extra excited to get to the beach after the long trip, so we opened up the room and turned on the fan (in an attempt to air the room out). When we returned from the beach the odor was still present.
There was no way we could stay in this room for 7 nights, so we went to the reception desk and notified reception that we needed a different room. They advised that we could not get the same type that we were in but they could mover us to a lower grade room. We were left with no choice due to the condition of our room. So while my family began to explore the resort I was losing time with them by switching room locations.
The “new room” also had an odor of mold (but not as extreme as our first room). The fridge was not stocked; there were large areas of paint falling off of the ceiling with small spiders on ceiling. My wife and I tried to ignore these things and attempt to concentrate on having a family vacation but the problems and conditions continued.
We agreed to a Melia presentation that we were told would take 45 minutes. We then signed something that actually said 90 minutes and we ended up being there for 3 hours.
The large pool had several pool lights broken and floating on the top of the pool water with the electrical wires still attached. One pool light was completely gone from its hole in the side of the pool and hanging from the hole was an electrical wire with the ends exposed sticking out into the pool. My daughter who is seven discovered this while swimming with her goggles on and I found her holding onto it. Words cannot even express the danger of this and the fear that went through my mind.
Our next problem began as neighboring rooms surrounding ours became full 19 to 20 year olds. They were screaming profanity and inappropriate remarks in front of my young children and wife. I immediately went the VIP section of reservations (while my family ate dinner) and described the actions. I even gave room locations of these individuals. (This is obviously not behavior for a family resort). I advised that I have already had to move rooms because of extreme mold and mildew and that my current room was not up to any standard that was advertised. Christopher in Reception told me that the hotel was completely booked for the night and that he could not help me. He advised that I should come back in the morning and that he would notify the front desk of our situation and that they would have a solution by morning. That night we had to listen to doors being slammed, profanity and screaming until about midnight.
The next morning, while my family went to the beach & breakfast, I took the long walk to the reception desk and found the individual who I was told would be expecting me and ready to help me. They knew nothing of my situation. I had to explain the whole story again, she advised me to wait while she spoke with a manager. Upon her return she advised that they could not help me at this time and to come back to reception around lunchtime. I left and went to find my family (who were trying to enjoy their vacation even though I was not with them). I waited the hour and a half for lunchtime and returned to the reception desk, while my family ate again without me, only to find the female who was assisting me earlier was gone. I stood around for 30 minutes and finally another female walked over and asked what I needed. I had to go through the whole story for a third time. I was furious that I was missing my lunch and more family vacation time. She advised me to wait while she went to find a manager, she returned and I asked if I could just speak with the manager myself but was told they were to busy. But she assured me that if I came back after 3:30 they would switch my room.
I left the lobby in disbelief and anger; my family vacation had turned into my wife and kids vacation and me dealing with the resort. I returned again to the reception area after 3:30 (which is not close to the beach where my family was trying to enjoy their vacation). After waiting for approximately 30 minutes, I was given another room. Now I had to return to my room, pack everything, and go to another building and room. This whole process took almost 24 hours since my complaint and cost me irreplaceable time from my family on our or I should say their vacation.
I have tried to add up the irreplaceable time that I missed with my family while trying to deal with all of these issues but I can’t even get the total number of hours. Nor the fact that myself and family had to endure all of these issues (especially changing rooms 3 times) after spending our hard earned money to sit and relax for a week. This is completely unacceptable that no one helped me and I was told to come back 3 times. It was at that point that we wanted out of the resort. My wife emailed the travel agent to move us off of your property. We decided we had enough moving around and to stick it out. When we arrived back home my wife became ill from eating food that was prepared in unsanitary conditions. She was provided medication and is finally back to normal.
I sent this letter also to the resort upon our return home and their response was (they had no record of any of my complaints or room moves????) Unbelievable!!!!
I would not recommend this companies resorts to anyone, they advertise a product that they do not provide.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
10 Thank Raymond R
Reviewed 19 July 2014 via mobile

Pros - 1. Family friendly! Great Hotel with a lot of great details from excellent up keep and art sculptures everywhere. Very tropical and upscale feel. Not cheap looking. 2. Awesome beach just like the pictures and plenty of seating. No locals bothering you to sell you stuff. 3. Great entertainment with daily activities scheduled like live music and shows like the lion king & MJ. Also there is a nightclub open each night until 2am. 4. Food was good not great multiple restaurants like Aqua which has seating on water. 24 hr room service with ok selection. 5. The staff was for the most part very Nice! Except when we ate the "The Grill" the host was not friendly she had no personality and the Manager or man that stood out was very angry looking and did not greet us and messed up our food order. ***CONS - 1. If you do not make dinner reservations early before 11 am NO JOKE then more than likely you will be given a late time like 930pm or no time. I understand they want to plan ahead but when you Pay ahead and are on Vacation you should be able to enjoy all the Free restaurants they offer so proudly. I strongly noticed when we did eat a restaurant it was not packed Or super busy! At times I saw empty seats. So why declined others ? 2. The big complaint and heard from a lot of other Guest No Joke! Time share presentation which can last over 2 hours. When we arrived our front desk staff who was very friendly informed us he would pick us up for breakfast and shows us around the resort. However he never mention a time share Sales presentation! Not only was it Mis leading but took over 2 hours NO JOKE! Bottom line to the Hotel we paid a lot of our own money and traveled a long way to enjoy not be mislead and take up our morning Which limited us from our personal time.

Stayed July 2014
5 Thank SupremeTravler
Dear Guest,

Receive the sunniest greeting from Paradisus Punta Cana, thank you for sharing your experience with us. It is always important for us to read our guests observations.

Let me on behalf of our team, thank you for your comments about our shows and activities as our friendliness of our team.

On the other hand, we would like to extend our sincerest apologies for the inconveniences that might did not let you enjoy your holidays to the fullest, I can assure you that the reservation system that we have at our hotel, helps us keep a control of the seating’s at our restaurants. Also, it helps our visitors to organize dinner’s schedules of their preference.

Making reference to the situation experienced at our restaurant The Girll, let me kindly reiterate our apologies as it doesn’t represent our high excellence service and our custom great guest service. You can rest assure that serious measures have been taken in order to avoid similar situations in a future.

In relation of the Club Melia presentation, let us inform you that it is voluntary presentations with the only intention of introduce our guest’s new products and offers of our brand; however it is very well taken by us as we will definitely work on this specific area.

We hope to receive you back at our hotel in a near future.

Kind regards,

Jersey City, New Jersey
Reviewed 19 July 2014

Make sure take a repellent I was badly bitten by mosquitoes. Take enough suntan lotion, too. I had a sunburn, too. My white comfortable sandals were never found in room 1216? Other than that it's cool.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Dear Liz,

Thank you for bringing to us your observations and your experience at our hotel, it is always important to us to receive our guest’s feedback!!

Let me sincerely apologize for any inconvenience experienced during your vacation as it is definitely not part of the custom great guest service that we provide to all our visitors.

With reference to the remark you made about the mosquitoes, we can assure you that we have strict programs of fumigation, which are carried out continuously. However, due to the situation of the villas, the tropical climate and the lush vegetation surrounding our villas, it may still rarely occur that an insect is found in the areas.

It will be a pleasure for us to see you again soon!!

Best regards,

Houston, Texas
Reviewed 19 July 2014 via mobile

We take a Carribean vacation once a year and this year Stayed at Paradisus from 7/7/14-7/11/14 and had a great time! Everything was great but here is a list of the cons:

Check in process was a little long. Our room wasn't ready so the attendant told us to get a drink or grab something to eat.

My husband had to take an almost cold shower the first two days. I however had warmer water.

There were tiny bugs that looked like ants in the room.

There was a little mildew in the shower.
Wifi connection was in and out.

Buffet was average-not gross but not the best. I somewhat expect this at all inclusive resorts. However, if you eat right when the buffet opens, the selection is much better. I do wish that they would have switched up the menu some. For example, the same breakfast was offered each day.

We only had one not so great experience with a waiter at Gabi restaurant. One person in our part asked for a coke and the waitress rudely responded 'OK'

There was only one type of beer offered.

Pros:

Beautiful property! Although it is very big, it is well maintained. Shuttles came around every 10-15 minutes or so for the occasions we didn't feel like walking to the lobby or restaurants. (walks were between 3-7 minutes)
Food selections at the restaurants that were non buffet were pretty good. The portions were a little on the small side but food was good. We ate at Mole' ,Aqua and Fuego and were pleased. Dessert could have been a little better but it was ok.
Drinks were great! When we asked for strong or not strong, we got what we asked for. Most bartenders interacted with us a lot and made us feel great. Wendy was by far the best bartender we had. He looks like a young Denzel Washington so we kept calling him Little Denzel!
We did not upgrade to Royal service and had a pretty close room to the beach. Also didn't have any issues getting drinks or any issues being treated differently.

Beach is BEAUTIFUL! No issues getting a lounge chair and not overcrowded with people like at other resorts.

Overall, we had a great time and if we ever visit the Dominican Republic again, we would still consider Paradisus Punta Cana as a place to stay!

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank littlebit07
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. We dearly appreciate your comments and feedback.

Please accept our apologies for not being able to exceed your expectations during your most recent visit and we dearly lament the unpleasant experience you had; however, please be sure that with this we get the chance to become better and we give you the certainty that we have taken the right measures to prevent a similar situation in the future; our upmost goal is to always ensure a pleasant experience for our guests and we will do everything to keep improving ourselves.

In the other hand, we deeply thank you for evaluating the points you could enjoy to the fullest.
We hope that you can give us another chance to regain your confidence and honor the quality service that characterizes us.

We will be looking forward to hear from you.

Kind Regards,