“Liked the Paradisus Punta Cana”

Paradisus Punta Cana Resort
Ranked #26 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 28 December 2008

My husband and I divided our vacation to the Dominican Republic b/t the Paradisus Punta Cana for the first four days and the Paradisus Palma Real for the last five (see our review over there- we preferred the Palma Real greatly). We had a nice check in/ welcome drink and were taken to our room- we had a RS Ocean View room though we chose not to do RS. This was great, but WAY far from the main building. Our concierge was HORRIBLE, as was the whole foraging for dinner that took place. Nothing was ever available and for the first two nights we had to settle for room service in our room. Our concierge claimed he would take care of everything for our dinner reservations, not to worry- thank God we sensed he was a flake and we fought for our own reservations- of course found out that he hadn't done any of the reservations as we feared. If you choose to put faith in your concierge- get your dinner reservation IN WRITING. Our vacation took a turn for the better when we discovered the Gabi area. We paid for using that pool for the day and got our massages up there/ ate lunch. SO much nicer than the actual resort- which I would call 'fine'. The pool is nice, not luxurious. The beach was beautiful but there was a sandstorm when we were there, and when that was over it just wasn't very convenient to move from the beach to the pool. We spent a lot of time walking around and that's just not relaxing. Our last two dinners were at Vento and that was something outstanding at the resort. It's less expensive than the Palma Real and I'm happy we went to this one first or it really would have been a letdown. I would pay the extra money and go there.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled as a couple
3  Thank luvthebeach22

Reviewed 26 December 2008

This resort, like most all inclusive resort, has different levels of service, room and restaurants in accordance to your room rate. We stayed in the "Reserve" area of the resort and it was amazing and worth the additional cost. The design of this area of the resort is very Euro-trendy and includes amazing food, private beaches and spa like atmosphere. The service and staff was great! The only issue was the language barrier. I was surprised the staff did not have a better understanding of English.

We were able to visit friends at other resorts and the Paradisus Punta Cana , by far was the best resort we visited. If you are not able to stay in the "Reserve" area I would only give the resort an average rating. If you do stay in one of the upper end areas it is an excellent rating in all categories.

You will need to check out resorts carefully in Puta Cana our experience was great, but most of the resorts are on the level of Daytona Beach, Florida. If you can not afford to go all out, save your money and stay closer to home.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Travelovekevin
Reviewed 23 December 2008

Pluses - nice beach with beautiful white sand, nicely decorated and trimmed property, the pool is great, with a swim-up bar. Dinners in restaurants are OK, the Mediterranean and French restaurants are very decent

Minuses - personnel is trying to be friendly, but they are very sloppy. For example, there was the housekeeper's or previous guests' hair all over the floor in our suite. So, my wife had to do extra cleaning herself. Also, the personnel are not fluent in English.
Buffet is open only for breakfast, poor choice of tasteless food.
Lunch in the restaurant by the beach is not bad, but same dishes every day. One day, my wife found a rubber band in her food at this restaurant!

The main reason we chose this hotel was the all-inclusive activities, such as scuba diving. Howvever, because of the constant waves (and as we found out later, there are huge waves at this particular place of Punta Cana because of its location), I couldn't do any scuba diving. So, we had to book a separate trip to Catalina Island in the Caribbean sea (near La Romana), where I did scuba diving, and my family enjoyed snorkeling, both for extra charge, obviously. We did not feel safe at the beach, especially for our little daughter, because there are a lot of strangers there roaming around trying to sell you smth or sign you up for smth.

The nightly entertainment shows are very poor and of low quality.
We also had problems with our keys, twice. When we tried using them to open the door to our room, they did not work. And mind it - because of the huge hotel territory, it takes you 15 minutes to get to the lobby to fix them.

Another thing - there is no alcohol in your room's bar, and the choice of alcoholic beverages on the hotel's property is very poor.
One more thing - they are trying to promote the Reserve area of this hotel by booking you on a 90-minute tour (which in reality took three hours), with the purpose of making you sign up for some kind of a timeshare. Our concierge said that if we attend the tour, we will get a one week of free stay at the Reserve, valid for the next two years. So, we attended this three hour tour and totally wasted our time, and the people were puttting a lot of pressure on us trying to make us sign up for this program. We refused at the end, and guess what? They did not offer us any free stay at the Reserve! (And the concierge later said that they recently discontinued doing so). So, we really very much regretted wasting our precious vacation time on this.
Here is our advice - stay away from this particular place, it is not worth your money, it is such a dissapointment. If you are planning a trip to the Dominican Republic, choose a hotel at the Caribbean coast. We decided for ourselves that Riviera Maya in Mexico is much-much better and costs less.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled with family
4  Thank khvanigor
Reviewed 23 December 2008

Date of stay – 11/14/08 through 11/28/08
Royal Service/Building 25

Warning: This may be slightly long. I apologize in advance. In my opinion, the more information the better, after all, if you are reading this, you are looking to be informed. We have been traveling to the Caribbean yearly for the past 11 years. This is our third visit to Punta Cana and our second to the Paradisus. Please read this review and understand this is only our perspective of the resort and that it may be different from other reviews. What I can say is that I will try to be truly honest and I can only hope that you find this review helpful. Your vacation is what you make of it and not everyone is looking for the same qualifications in a resort. If you have booked this resort or are looking to, I feel that you have made a good choice and will be happy with your selection.

That being said here goes:

First, you have three room choices: The Reserve, Standard Suites, and Royal Service.

Rooms:
The Reserve- This is the newest section (under 2 years old) and is also their time- share located close to the front (main lobby) of the resort (during your stay you may encounter employees trying to get you to tour the reserve and listen to their time-share speech). This section is very nice but more expensive. The suites are over-sized and large. The reserve pool is beautiful and huge; however, there are only 2 restaurants (Vento and Gabi) in this section of the resort. This is a resort within a resort which is secluded and apart from the rest of the Paradisus (The shows, casino, and the Latin restaurant Fuego are the only areas close to the Reserve). This area is at the complete opposite end of the resort AWAY from the beach and MOST of the restaurants. It is a good 10 minute walk to beach, but there are carts to take you where you need to go. If you spend most of your time at the beach, this area may not be for you.

The Standard Suites are anywhere in the main part of the resort and range in size depending on your needs. You have access to all restaurants except the 2 in the Reserve.

The Royal Service Suites occupy approximately 10/12 buildings closest to the beach. If you want to be close to the beach, this may be the better option. We were RS guests during our stay (The Paradisus was running a special in September that if you booked a standard suite, they would upgrade you to RS at no charge). Therefore, I am not sure how much more $$$$ it is to actually be RS. Before you book RS, the best thing to do is weigh the cost to what “extras” you actually get. So, here is a list of the extras:

1) Private adults-only beach. I did observe during our two week stay, strict adherence to this rule. Staff at the resort made sure that guests who did not wear the correct bracelet indicating that they were RS, did not access any of the RS areas. (Reserve, family concierge, and regular guests could not enter the RS areas). There is a personal wait staff that walks down to the beach every 20 minutes to take your drink orders. They will also bring you lunch from the grill or order room service for you and deliver it to you at the beach. You literally never have to leave your chair. The service on the beach was the best we ever had. I did not see a wait staff on the main beach. The RS beach was very clean and beautiful.
2) Private swim up bar/pool/towel service. The pool is small, but very nice and clean. It was never crowded. They also have private beds surrounding the pool area.
3) Private RS air conditioned building directly off of the beach. This is where you will check in. You can eat breakfast here away from the crowds. They have a fabulous fresh fruit and pastry buffet and you can also order from a menu. There is afternoon tea and cookies from 4-6 and hot/cold Hors d'œuvres from 6-8. Only RS can access this. This is also where you make your dinner reservations and use the internet. If you encounter a rainy day, they have sitting areas with a TV and DVD player.
4) Pillow Service and in-room aromatherapy. Honestly, the pillow service is silly. There are four different kinds. They really do not seem any different. Of course, we ordered everyone just because we could! The spa/ in-room aromatherapy was kind of nice, but it is nothing fancy. Your Butler will come to your room and fill up your Jacuzzi and/or bath with oils/bubble bath, surround it with candles and incense and flowers. We did this 5 times just for fun. If we didn’t have it, I would not have missed it. However, they will also deliver bottles of scented oil every night to burn. That was nice.
5) Personal Butler. Your butler will pack/unpack for you, iron one piece of clothing per day, and turn down your bed. We did not use our butler for these services.
6) Access to ANY restaurant and any area on the resort including the Reserve.

We stayed at the Paradisus in 2000 in the same exact building. Our room did not smell or have any mold in it whatsoever. The bathroom was all marble and the room was clean and very nice. I am very picky when it comes to my room, and have been very disappointed at other resorts. I did not see anything wrong with these rooms at all. While I am sure that these rooms are not up to the scale of the Reserve, they are fine. Actually, four of the buildings adjacent to us were being closed for remolding and were not even occupied. So I assume that in a year the RS will be the place to be on the resort.

A couple of “complaints” that I have about RS:
The majority of the RS suites are not near the RS areas. While we had a room on the beach, we had to walk down the beach to get to the RS pool, beach, and VIP building for breakfast. I really do not understand why the buildings located directly off of the beach in the RS area are not for RS guests. That made no sense to me; however, it was a short 3 minute walk to the RS beach (30 second walk to the main beach if we wanted) and the restaurants (Steakhouse, Brazilian, Italian, Chinese, French, Seafood and the breakfast and lunch buffets) from our room.

The Royal Service staff in the VIP building was not the nicest group of people to deal with (However, the butlers were absolutely great). Sometimes they made you feel that you were bothering them. They also forgot to make our dinner reservations one night and never told me. If I would not have called to check, we would have arrived and been turned away. After I brought it to their attention, they were not apologetic and did nothing to rectify the situation.
Also, after an ATV tour in the mud and rain, my husband left his shoes out in front of the door at night because we did not want to track all the mud into our room. When we woke up the next morning, they were gone/stolen. Yes, was that stupid in hindsight. I guess we are too trusting. When we brought it to the RS staff’s attention, they again seemed uninterested in what we had to say. Oh well, lessoned learned. However, I DO NOT believe that it was an employee of the resort. I do believe it was a guest at the hotel, I have my own theory. So if you are reading this and you stole our shoes, shame on you, you mother did a horrible job in teaching you not to take what doesn’t belong to you.

Beach:
All areas of the beach are fabulous no matter if you are RS or not: soft sand, no rocks, large and spacious and CLEAN. We were out by 7am every morning. Crews were out cleaning up seaweed from the beaches, raking the sand and picking up garbage. We walked the beach in both directions and have to say that this beach is the nicest (Along with Bavaro Princess next door). The waves can be big and rough, but that is our preference and why we go to Punta Cana. If you do not like waves, this is not the place for you.

Food:
There is not much any one person can say about the food without personal taste coming into play. Yes, the food is not what you may be used to, but I thought it was decent and could always find something to eat. I never starved. Therefore, I am not going to state whether the food tasted horrible or was the best I ever had. However, I can tell you our favorites – Chinese, Brazilian, and Japanese, and Vento Mediterranean. There are only three restaurants that you can eat without a reservation and a dress code – Albufera (Steakhouse), the Pavilion (Chinese), and Rodizio (Brazilian). All others require a reservation and long pants for men. Not all restaurants were open during the two weeks we were there due to low capacity (Gabi or the Italian).We only ordered room service once. It is not a huge menu – basically steak, hamburgers, pizza, and sandwiches. I found the food overall not the best I have ever had, but above average and tasty.

Entertainment:
We never went to a show. After 11 years, they are all the same. We preferred to stay at the beach until sunset, have tea, a late dinner and walk on the beach or have a drink at the bar.

Service (Restaurant and Maid):
Over 8 years and three trips to the Dominican, I have to say the service still sucks no matter where you stay. Well, maybe not suck, but very random. It was excellent at the RS areas, but lunch was terrible (Breakfast in the RS area was excellent). They may or may not clear your plates or get you a drink before you have finished eating. Sometimes it was fast, sometimes it was non-existent. Sometimes your courses came out quickly, other times it could be more than 30 minutes between courses and take two hours to eat. There was no consistency. Service at Dinner is better, however, depending on how busy the restaurant is; they may not wait on you very fast and screw up your order. It is what it is….after all you are on vacation, what is the hurry? If you do not like it, you can go to another restaurant on the resort! (Note: tipping doesn’t necessarily help.)

Maids- Also random. Sometimes our room was clean at 11am, sometimes at 3pm. You do not always get shampoo, washcloths, coke, or soap when you run out. I left notes for the maid everyday (in Spanish) telling her what we needed and left a tip. AND almost every day I had to call the desk and have them bring me what I needed, and even that would take 45 minutes. Again, not big deal, just a minor inconvenience. However, we did not care when our room was cleaned as long as it was by sunset because we were at the beach from 7am until 5pm or later every day.

My overall opinion:
We really enjoyed our stay at the Paradisus. The beach and the resort are simply beautiful. Would we return? Absolutely.

If you would like more information feel free to contact me.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank kimlib97
Reviewed 15 December 2008

Just returned yesterday from a six night stay at the Paradisus. I was pleasantly surprised by how wonderful, friendly and helpful everyone was. The entire staff helped to make your stay as pleasant as possible.
The hotel was not at full capacity so we did not have any problems getting lounges or reservations at any restaurant we chose.
The beach is spectacular, soft beautiful sand and emerald water. The waves were a little rough and it was a bit windy so water sports were not always available.
The restaurants were all good with very attentive service.
I particularly liked Fuego. It had a very New York cosmopolitan feel and my husband and I tried several appetizers, two entres and a few deserts that night. The waiters brought whatever you wanted without a problem. Wine was poured frequently at every restaurant without asking.
The house wine varied from restaurant to restaurant but was pretty good.
I also liked the Gaby Restaurant at the Reserve. Food and service both A+.
Breakfast buffet offered good choices and even the Dominican coffee was pretty good.
Lunch buffet was located on the beach, pretty similar each day but it didnt matter as the view was amazing.
At night there was a show off the lobby which had the same "team" perform every night. They were a pretty talented bunch. After a while, they felt like "friends". Following each show, the lobby was full of music and dancing. A lot of fun and very lively.
We didnt go into the disco as we danced at the lobby bar til midnight along with the dancers from the hotel which were very entertaining and a lot of fun.
We sat in on the Reserve Vacation Club 90 minute sales pitch one morning as we wanted to see it. Very beautiful but very quiet and a little far from the beach and main pool.
All in all, we had a wonderful trip. The resort felt rather large when we arrived, but by the time we left, it felt extremely comfortable. I would recommend this resort to anyone who is looking for a hotel with attentive staff, beautifully breathtaking scenery and good food and drinks. (I think that is everyone)

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled as a couple
3  Thank rsgnewyork
Reviewed 14 December 2008

My husband I came to the Paradisius to get married. We had a group of 27 adults and 2 teens. All in our party had a fabulous time.
The resort is very large and well maintained. The landscape is beautiful. The restaurants were great. The Spa was much better than I expected. The beach is amazing. It took my breath away.
A few things to know:
- The hotel staff is nice and kind. The check in process is a little slow. They are on Caribbean time and they operate at a slower pace than Americans.
- To get around the large resort, you must take shuttles. Typically, the wait is not too long.
- EVERYTHING is included. This was great! We went horsebackriding, scuba diving, used a catamaran boat, took salsa lessons, and it was all FREE!
- Some of the rooms had a few minor problems but they were resolved.
- If you are traveling with children, you may want to have the conversation about topless beaches and men in speedos. We saw more men in speedos then in the typical American swim trunk.
- Not too many people speak English.
- They will try to sell you a timeshare.

A wonderful time and we will return to this resort. We saw other resorts and this by far is much better!

Stayed: December 2008
2  Thank tcotham
Reviewed 9 December 2008

My husband & 2 kids (ages 12 & 15) just returned from 5 days here. My brother & his fiance were married while we were there - between the two families there were 29 people there.

I'll have to admit i was nervous after reading some of the reviews but we have no complaints at all. The resort is beautiful, the staff is friendly & we had fantastic service. There were quite a few people who didn't speak English so you definitely should brush up on key Spanish phrases before going. We found the staff liked teaching us how to say Spanish words.

I did not have 1 single person approach me about buying a time share. My husband didn't either.

We hung out on the beach for a couple of hours each day & then would hit the pool for the rest of the day. The poolside bar along with the various poolside activities were a blast!

The restaurants were not 5-star quality but everything was very good and there was a tremendous selection of everything.

My husband played golf one day & said the course was in great shape & transportation there was easy.

The wedding was held in the gazebo on the beach, everything was great. The pictures & videographer did a fantastic job as well.

All in all, it was a fantastic vacation. We would definitely recommend to friends & family.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled with family