“Paradisus is Paradise!!!!!”

Ranked #22 of 111 Hotels in Punta Cana
GreenLeadersGold level
“Paradisus is Paradise!!!!!”
Reviewed 10 June 2006

My husband And I read tripadvisor before we left for Punta Cana. After reading all the negative comments we started to get a little nervous. I think that anyone that complains about this place in any way is crazy!!! We had the time of our lives. Every restaurant that we ate in was excellent. Our room was great. The everything was PERFECT!!!!! We are planning to go again next year. We went for an extended Memorial Day weekend, a friend of ours got married there. They did the most beautiful wedding, it was perfect in every way. We ate at the French & Mexican restaurants and the food and service was great. The other 2 nights were rehearsal dinner and reception dinner that were 1st class all the way. The beach was awesome, the pool bar is lots of fun.
A vacation is what you make of it. I could not complain about one thing at the Paradisus, even if I tried. Oh and the grounds are kept so beautiful that it is unbelievable!!!
I did not see any roaches. The grounds are big but it is walkable and they have shuttles that take you anywhere. The people that work there are so nice. It was helpful to bring a bunch of $1.00 bills, they go along way. The language thing is fine. If you know how to say hello, thank you, and your welcome in spanish then you will be fine. Cant wait til next year to get back to the paradise we found at Paradisus!!!!!

12 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,139)
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Reviewed 7 June 2006

I just returned from a 5-day trip to Paradisus Punta Cana. I was there for a friend's wedding, which was beautiful and we had a lot of fun! We had upgraded our room to the Royal Service, but we really didn't take advantage of it. I did enjoy the VIP pool, b/c there weren't as many kids at the pool. Towels were nice, as was the room location, otherwise, I would say save your money. We ate at the steakhouse which was good, the French restaurant for the wedding reception, the seafood restaurant for the rehearsal dinner and the Italian restaurant on our last night. Lobster lasagna was good, but a little salty. Japanese restaurant was closed for renovations. My group had no problems with diarrhea. I brought along tons of Immodium, Pepto, Lomotil, but needed none of it... Definitely go on the nature walk, it is kind of hidden, but fun to feed the parrot and the monkey. We took a snorkel/booze cruise trip and that was super fun, I highly recommend it.. Definitely more of a party scene... We went with Kontiki booked through the VIP Travel people at the resort. $60 for snorkeling, drinks and snacks. They don't make you wear a lifejacket if you don't want to. If you are weird about germs, you might want to bring your own snorkel/mask. I'm weird about germs, but just didn't think about who else had their mouth on the snorkel. Shopping in town is good, but I did overpay for some Brugal rum... It was cheaper at the hotel. $14 for a big bottle of the extra viejo. I paid about $18. Oh well, supporting local economy. My friends that got married were upgraded to the Garden Villa, and if you are going for a honeymoon or a special occasion, I would highly recommend it. Private pool, private entrance, outdoor shower, your own palapa, very romantic. I have no idea how much it would cost.
I got a massage at the pool for $50. I tipped her $10 and she was confused, but I told her it was "la propina" (means tip). Massage was actually a little hard and rough... Some of my friends that got massages said they rubbed their breasts, but they didn't rub mine. Did rub my stomach, that was kind of weird.
Room Service is interesting. Tried the shrimp cocktail, beef carpaccio and pizza. All left little to be desired. I was not impressed with pizza. Loved the omelette guy at the Hybiscus, great omelettes!
Ocean is beautiful and warm. Most of the restaurants are open-air. You will want to dress very lightly for dinner, probably hair up. Try to sit under a fan if you can. I got mosquito bites, even when I used spray. So far, no malaria. I will keep my fingers crossed!

20 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
New York
Reviewed 6 June 2006

When we first arrived a the resort we were really impressed on how beautiful it was. Check in was nice followed by a refreshing drink. Gorgeous nature with Paradise Park with monkeys and talking parrots and more-our kids 18m and 6yr loved it!

The pool was very clean the first two days, but the day on our leave the water was filthy and filled with dead flying creatures. The only + is that the water is very warm and my kids enjoyed it very much.
The restaurants sucked BIG time and I am not exaggerating! Very little variety of food at the buffet and same thing every day at the Grill. French restaurant was the best. Even in the restaurants where you have to make reservations the food was disgusting.
The beach is absolutely gorgeous!!! Very clean with flour white sand, it was our favorite.

Very good service and People are very friendly and always smiling. One thing we were furious about when we were asked to take a tour to the Paradisus Palma Real, we went there out of curiosity with probability to travel there in the future.. The guy named Christian at the buffet sent us there telling us it would take 10 min to drive and you will have a dinner at that resort. When we arrived after 20 min we were escorted throughout the resort and then were told that they didn’t have a restaurant here and we would have to go to Milia Carribe Tropical to have a dinner there. With two hungry kids, no way! We argued with them for us have a dinner and then preached by some British guy for 3 hours about some Membership time share offer for $64,000 dollars! They trick all the people hoping to sell their membership and of you are smart enough you will not fall in their trap! So don’t even go there, we wasted the whole day. Anyways, that’s not the point, I am just warning you.

In general, our kids had a very good time, the kids club was great with great activities and majic show, soccer and climbing mountain, pool and dinner, disco and flamingos and much, much more! For us, it was ok, we weren’t to excited and expected much more but the kids had a blast.

Good luck and have happy travel!

14 Thank Margo222425
Cincinnati, Ohio USA
Reviewed 4 June 2006

We just returned last night from our second trip to the Paradisus PC staying the week following Memorial Day. Our last visit was during peak season in February 2005 during winter break and this is our first trip to the DR in the official "off-season". The weather was spectacular. We had been watching the forecast for the week prior and were concerned about the chance of thunderstorms every afternoon. Well, the weather channel was incorrect. Every day except for one was beautiful unfiltered sunshine. The worst day had some morning light overcast that quickly cleared and a cooling 20 minute afternoon rain shower was just in time for a needed siesta.
Our last trip to 'Paradise' was just that. The only thing that was found to be noticeably different was that due to low census (we nearly had the resort to ourselves, not jam packed as last trip) there were alternating restaurant closures that we did not expect. The usual choice of 10 restaurants was cut by 2 and 3 respectively for dinner. To our surprise, even the reservation restaurants (Japanese and French) took their turn of having the night off. The closures were posted every afternoon, which left some time to alter our plans. Despite that, the cuisine continued to be as excellent as ever with lots of international choices for mildly discriminating palates. The service remains very good considering the pace of the Dominican people is not the NYC style we are accustom to in larger American cities.
We considered upgrading to Royal Service on this trip but did not do so after finding out that if you are on a return visit to the resort (which does require proof) that you can request a room upgrade with your booking agency. We were told in advance that it was based on availability and were not sure if we would get the upgraded room but we indeed did receive the upgrade. We were placed in the Service Reale upgraded deluxe junior suite without the butler services. During our last visit, we looked forward to reading the morning International copy of the Miami newspaper with breakfast or at the pool. Be advised that the hotel states they no longer have the paper available to its guests. They did attempt to go 'above and beyond' by kindly printing off the Internet version of the paper.
Despite again being a great vacation to the Paradisus PC, just a few minor details kept it from being as good as it was the first time. No matter, we will likely return again!

11 Thank smurton
Reviewed 2 June 2006

This is a beautiful resort and a great place to go and relax which was our goal. The grounds are unbelievable - tropical flowers everywhere. There are even speakers inconspicuously all around the grounds so you hear music all the time. The beach is great - wasn't prepared for the topless sunbathers but had no problem with it...just surprised! We loved spending the morning on the beach in one of those huge beds and then after lunch, it was off to the pool where we stayed close to the swim up bar - be sure to try the Banana Poppa drink...yummy! We had massages by the pool and I had a pedicure at the spa - both were super. The only thing that wasn't great was the food. We actually found the best food at the buffets. The worst was at "El Romantico" - a French restaurant where you needed reservations. It was just terrible. The Italian and Mexican were okay. AND...we actually won at the casino! Another thing I wasn't prepared for was the communication problem...it would be good to have some undertanding of Spanish. Overall, it was a wonderful 6 days.

7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Long Island, New York
Reviewed 1 June 2006

My husband and I just returned from the Paradisus we were there from May 20-27th and had a great time. This is our 2nd time at the hotel we had been in Oct. 2003 for our honeymoon. This time around we had the Royal Service and I think it was okay but for us not really worth the extra money, I think really what you are paying for is the better room. I LOVED our room building 19 room 1195 it was an ocean view which was great. With the Royal Service you have your choice of pillows and when I called for pillows he wanted they didnt have any and also they ran out of beach towels for the Royal Service however I did enjoy the use of the computers and the a/c breakfast. We had perfect weather all 7 days and the beach was amazing we loved the swim up bars and the food was okay you are in a different country so its NOT the food you are used to eating at home. We did not do any of the tours this time around but we did back in 2003 we did the atv's and that was great and we did the speed boats and that was fun to and we also swam with the dolphins and that was okay. I would recommend doing the atv tour out of all of them it was a blast. Everyone was very friendly the workers and all the people we met on the trip. I would recommend the Paradisus its clean and the grounds are amazing. feel free to contact me if you have any questions

12 Thank KAMCG
Reviewed 1 June 2006

My husband and I just returned from Paradisus Punta Cana. We were there from May 27th thru May 31st. We were celebrating our wedding anniversary and I could not have asked for a better place to stay. The service was incredible. When the young lady making our dinner reservations found out it was our anniversary she surprised us for dessert with a whole delicious cake which read "Happy Anniversary". I thought that was so sweet of her. I don't know if everyone else did but as a welcome I received a beautiful plant and a bottle of wine sent to my room. The atmoshpere was nice it wasn't there busiest time of the year which was great. The beach was incredible, the hotel was beautiful, the pool was great the restaurants were wonderful(my favorite was the mexican restaurant and the steakhouse).
You must try the papaya and banana smoothie at the breakfast buffet(yummy).

Stayed May 2006