“Most Beautiful Place I have ever stayed.....”

Paradisus Punta Cana
Ranked #23 of 111 Hotels in Punta Cana
GreenLeadersGold level
Champaign, IL
“Most Beautiful Place I have ever stayed.....”
Reviewed 5 July 2006

I have to admit that after reading some of the reviews I was little worried about our upcoming vacation at the Paradisus. I kept telling myself, everyone has a different opinion and go with the majority, but still in the back of my mind..... We just got back last night from our trip. We checked in on 6/27 and out on 7/4/06. Well, if you have a trip planned here, just throw your worries out the window, it was more than I ever imagined. From the minute you walk into the pond lined, living green lobby until you look out at the incredible blue ocean you are in Heaven. The grounds are beautiful, the staff very friendly, the pool and ocean like a picture post card! It is their "off season" so lots of chairs to find around the pool or beach, even if you don't roll out of your room until noon as we often did. The casino was small, but not as small as cruise ships, so bigger than I expected. We never left the resort. Just lounged around, met people, read books and enjoyed our little piece of the Paradisus. I have been on several cruises, traveled to Hawaii, Mexico, Bahamas, and numerous other places and this is the best of all. We did not do the Royal Service as we had 3 rooms we were paying for, but possibly if I was paying for just one room - it may be worth it, just hard to say without experiancing it. We were very happy with the average service. Only one time, late at night (3:00 a.m.), did we have trouble getting room service, but we did finally get through. The food was very good, but you are not going to please everyone. The good thing, if you don't like it, order something else, or go to another restaurant!!! Lots of food to chose from. We definately going back and soon.

8 Thank conniejo688

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,133)
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 5 July 2006

My fiance and I had never been to the Dominican Republic or stayed at an all inclusive resort before so we didn't know what to expect. I spent hours on line researching before we decided on Paradisus and I can say that the resort definitely met our expectations. If you are a beach person, the beach is amazing, we spent very little time at the pool because the beach was so beautiful. I thought the food was fine but wouldn't describe it with quite as much enthusiasm as some of the other reviewers. El Romantico was the best for dinner. Breakfast was really good, to me the best meal of the day. My advice would be to make reservations at the reservation required restaurants when you first get there or else you may have a problem getting the night and times you prefer. I also would advise bringing small bills because it is hard to find change for bigger bills if you want to tip the staff in US dollars, that is. The service is exceptional considering how little money they make. We were surprised by what appeared to be a general lack of tipping by guests. The staff is so gracious and very appreciative of a tip. They will go out of their way for you if you do leave a tip.

We weren't there long enough to do any excursions but my fiance did golf one day at the Cocatal Country Club and he had a good time.

Like another reviewer noted however, I probably would have booked the Paradisus Palma Real since it is brand new but didn't notice it until after booking Paradisus Punta Cana. Either way, I am very satisfied with our experience.

Stayed July 2006
9 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Oak Creek, Wisconsin
Reviewed 29 June 2006

I did alot of research prior to choosing this as a vacation spot and I was a little skeptical at first with some of the things I've read. Well...thank God I didn't feel the same way. The resort overall...was fantastic. Beautiful beach, great...not excellent...but great food, drinks were awesome and we couldn't ask for a friendly staff.

I know VERY little spanish and my fiance knows none and we got by just fine. Our room was very clean and very spacious. The grounds were very well manicured - beautiful flowers and plants all around. The Beach was so wonderful that we didn't spend anytime in the pool. I'm very picky regarding food and always found something to eat on the menu that I really enjoyed. The best meal we had was the Italian restaurant...dont miss it. Had no problem getting reservations - but then again we did not go around spring break.

I would highly recommend Paradisus....and if you can afford it, their new location is even 10x nicer (if you can believe that). We are planning on going again this winter and will return...but this time to the new Paradisus resort.

• Stayed May 2006
15 Thank Hbblonde007
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 28 June 2006

We booked our trip several months ago, and by the time June came around, we had read SEVERAL negative reviews, and were very worried about our upcoming vacation. As soon as we drove through the front gate, we realized those reviews were just WRONG. Paradisus was absolutely incredible from start to finish. First, I’ll say, use dominicantaxi[--] to book a shuttle from the airport to the resort. They’re just as cheap as the tour buses, and you get your own car, complete with driver waiting for you with your name on a sign, so no one else can take your car. At the hotel, there are trains waiting to take you to every corner of the property, and will even drop you at your door.
After check-in, we went to the room, and were pleasantly surprised at how big it was, and it was immaculate. The maid had Hibiscus spread in the bathroom, and had already pulled back the sheets (a tip and some written instructions for the maid, especially for what you want in your mini-bar, goes a long way). Since we were honeymooning, they also brought champagne and fruit to our room one night during our stay. The towels in the room are huge, and they are more than willing to bring you whatever you desire. The shower pressure was a bit weak, but that was okay, a hard shower hurts when you’re sunburned anyway.
The pool was huge. The water is warm, and the drinks are great at the swim-up bar, where they also give away free cigarettes and cigars. The towels were very easy to come by, and we never had a problem, as was a complaint in prior reviews. I’ve been to Laguna, the Bahamas, South Padre, and Florida, and this was by far, the cleanest, whitest beach I’ve ever seen. The resort cleans the beach of sea weed every single day, and you don’t see any, until late in the day, when the tide comes back in. In the water, you can literally see the sea floor, even in the deepest areas. White sands and turquoise water, it is exactly is it looks in the pictures, if not more so. Most of the water sports are included, like boogie boarding, catamarans, etc, but there are some that are extra. Get your scuba certification before you come down, and you can scuba dive for free.
The food was absolutely fabulous. Sit down dinners like this in the States, easily will run you $100+ for 2, but here its all included. Make your reservation early for El Romantico, as it beats nearly any restaurant I’ve ever been to, and I hate French food. Albufera also makes a wonderful steak. If you order a glass of wine in these places, they don’t bring you a glass, they bring you an ice bucket, and a new bottle of wine, uncork it, and leave it at your table. The greatest variety was at the Hibiscus, where it is buffet style for every meal (breakfast in fantastic). Room service will bring you ANYTHING from the restaurants at any time, you just have to know this going in, as there is a room service menu in the room that doesn’t look all that appetizing.
While there we parasailed (extra $), rode horses, swam with the dolphins (extra $), played golf, got a massage on the beach (extra $), gambled, went to the shows, hung out at the bars, went through the eco walk, pretty much anything the hotel offered, and still feel like we need to go back, because of the things we missed.
I’m convinced that the bad reviews are from those that are used to being waited on hand and foot. If you’re expecting that, this isn’t for you, but at the same time, if you ask for something, the employees will do EVERYTHING in their power to get it to you immediately. The service really is incredible, and its one of those places that you can leave knowing you got your money’s worth. Feel free to email me with any questions.

23 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
massachusetts
Reviewed 28 June 2006

As a travel agent I feel compelled to write this review. I traveled with my husband, 10yr old daughter and my in-laws. We have traveled to the Mayan Riviera several times, we even stayed at the Paradisus there. We had our doubts that it could even compare. Well, no more doubts.....the Paradisus Punta Cana was wonderful. The grounds are beautiful and well maintained. The people who work here make it the paradise that it is. So friendly and helpful even with the language difference. If you try, they will go out of their way to work with you on what ever you need. They really do want you to try spanish!! The food and drinks were great and plentiful. If you worry about getting sick, bring pepto and immodium, but I bet you won't need it. THe beach is beyond words. We had so much fun body and boogie board surfing. The pool is huge and very clean. I have nothing negative to say, except the rooms do need a makeover. Nice and clean but do need to be madeover!
THe Nature walk was great, we went over several times with fruit for the monkeys, Bobby and Luna and also for Maria the parrot. In Punta Cana the key is to stay in the better properties, 5 star or above. Our plane was delayed 33hrs and had to overnight at the Catalonia......:( terrible. Rooms dark, Pool dirty, music at pool bar WAY too loud, but they were having fun. The beach was grouse. flat water no waves, lots of sea grass. The staff unfriendly, drinks lousy and food ok. So, this is a 4star according to the tour operator, but the Catalonia gives itself a 5 star and it in NOWAY compared to the Paradius. So pay more and come home happy.......... Paradise is at the Paradisus! We will go back!

13 Thank tvlqueen
Columbus, GA
Reviewed 26 June 2006

I tell you what.. I had planned this trip since January, when I started reading the reviews, I sincerely thought that I was not going to like what I found, but to much amazement I was surprised to find out everything the bad reviews said was not true... Our family usually goes to a different country every year; I've been to Europe, the Caribbean and South America as well as the states and WE TRULY ENJOYED THIS RESORT VERY MUCH.. THE FOOD WAS GREAT, the only thing the French (El Romantico) does not serve very much, I found it average.. Everything else was great... THE SERVICE WAS EXCELLENT, all the waiters in special Carlos at the Palapa was one of the best one's, the bartenders and everyone else throughout the hotel was amazing.. the only thing I did not like was that the pool closed at 6:00 pm. I wished it could stay open at least until 8:00 but the reason they do this is to clean it.. I did find this resort to be a family and couples oriented.. I did find taking $1 bills worked out good.. as it is true that the average waiter gets paid only $100 bi-weekly and they work 12 hour shifts so we usually tipped a little more if we saw them working lunch and dinner.. the rooms we found were average nothing out of the norm of course we did not upgrade to royal service but I truly felt we were treated equally anyway.. the activities and the shows are very good.. the only thing I did have a complaint about was transportation you have to travel in little trolleys and they are not all mechanically kept so sometimes they were kind of short because some were broken down.. but you still got around.. Enjoy your vacation this resort is well worth every penny you spend..

14 Thank Adriana F
Los Angeles,California
Reviewed 23 June 2006

I am a working mother who has recently returned from a trip to paradise. I have traveled often but mostly with the kids and my all inclusive expieriences were limited to cruises. I went with a friend and our purpose was escape and relaxation, on the guilt ridden mommy left the kids at home with dad budget.That in mind the Paradisus couldnt have been more perfect.
Environment
The grounds are beautifull, I recomend taking the time to explore the grounds and all the facilities the loby area is open air and wonderfully decorated the grounds are perfectly kept and there are wonders in every corner, Go to the paradise walk a small zoo like area where your guide intoduces you to there birds of paradise, turtles, iguanas and monkeys. At this location I was given a book on the flora on the grounds I recomend getting it and Identifiing all the gorgeouse flowering trees. The beach is breathtaking with flowering plants right up to the sand and beds yes beds sun and shade at your disposal. The beach was never crowded and there was always a bed available. I think some of the previous reviewers were either blind or at a different resort because there were several beach bars one large permanent one and two smaller set up bars accomadating beach guests. There were also prompt and curtious beach runners bringing drinks and anything from the room service menus. The pool was beautifull never crowded. The suite was nice clean and spaciouse we had a Jacusi suite on the beach. Apparently all there rooms are juniorsuites,unless you get the one garden bungalo or one of only four ambassador suites.
All inclusive/food
The food was great such a huge variety with 11 different resturants that in our 5 day stay we were unable to try them all. Yes only three are open durring the day the others for dinner only. However the ones open had chefs sitting there awaiting to make you food however you wanted it in Hibiscus there was an omlete cheff and a meat cheff who took raw chicken, pork, beef or eggs,and made it any way you wanted with a varity of spices and accompanyments. The palapa grill always had hamburgers hotdogs or chicken sandwichs made to order fresh food not fast. Why that would be ordered with the huge variety of buffet items I have no idea but it was certainly available. Any and all drinks were available and free and so were cigaretes and cigars! at the bars which I did try (dont tell my kids. Room service menu was a bit weak but all resturants would box up anything for you. The entertainment was very fun even though it was cheesy at times. The beach parties and welcome parties were very fun and entertaining as were the vegas type shows. Scuba if your precertified and snorkling is included as well as a couple of boat excurrsions and of course lots of dance and exercise classes. This information is not readily available so go to the club house (red)which is on the beach and aquatics house (blue)to get info and sign up as soon as you get there.Take advantage of the bicycling,horseback riding and the free spa as well. There are some spa services at extra charge and excursions at extra charge from what I heard the excursions were not worth the additional charges and I wouldnt bother with so much already included. There are three shopping centers within walking distance dont bother with a taxi. Dont pay the price they ask at those centers either in fact pay less than a third and you may still be paying too much. The first store I went too asked for $150 us dollars for the same necklace I bought at a store two doors down for 12 bucks.
We did get the royal service were very disapionted and would not recomend it. It was not at all worth another $150 a night as I met others at the resort who did not have it and had prompter service. The waiters bartenders and tram drivers were all very friendly and helpfull, The royal service receptionists and butler were not at all. In fact they seamed a bit purposefully rude and ignorant they differed all questions back to the main loby anyway. . Just dont do it.

On a final note bring plenty of bug spray. If you tend to get bitten take vitamin B complex prior to your visit. Take bug spray for your room as well and air freshener It is the tropics nothing ever dries and it will be musty.

I highly recomend this resort enjoy it

22 Thank 2Ccat