“Gorgeous beach!!!!”

GreenLeadersGold level
Cincinnati, OH
“Gorgeous beach!!!!”
Reviewed 10 March 2007

My daughter and I just returned from Paradisus Punta Cana. It was fantastic! We enjoyed playing in the ocean and relaxing on the beach all morning, and at the pool all afternoon. Only complaints were that we had lukewarm water (at best) for showers and that at the buffet, the hot food never seemed hot enough, and the cold food never cold enough. Staff was very pleasant and attentive - it would have really helped if we had spoken Spanish, though.

Stayed March 2007
2 Thank Doodlegirl03

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,133)
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
New Jersey
Reviewed 3 March 2007

My family of 4 and my friends family of 4 went down in June of 06. We had a great time. Food and service was excelent!! We each have 2 kids from 6 to 12 years old. They all had an awsome time. Not enough hours in the day to take advantage of all the included activities. My advise is to schedule yourselves up at the beach for all the activities. If you don't get there someone else will fill your spot so no worries. Snorkling and horseback riding on the beach gets booked up fast. Like I said schedule yourselves for everything every day and you'll be able to pick what you want to do with no problems.

Service at Paradisus was great. Although tips are included, I suggest you bring a wad of sigles and who ever does a service of any kind for you gets a dollar. While we were there, my buddy and I did that, and we could see a considerable difference in service to our party, compared to the people that didn't tip. The American dollar is greatly appreciated down there, and word gets around that you are a tipper.

Beach was awsome, clear, blue and clean.

GOLF INCLUDED, thats right, GOLF INCLUDED!!! All you have to pay for is the cart ($35). My buddy and I played every other morning when we weret there. Truely fantastic brand new course. 3 nine hole courses. When we played, we saw only 1 other single playing. We were alone most of the round. Very private. AAA+ for Paradisus Punta Cana

Stayed June 2006
5 Thank rawalsh
ontario
Reviewed 26 February 2007

I stayed at this resort the week of February 16th to the 23rd. I had read some reviews on the site, and was a little hesitant, but my worries were calmed as soon as we saw the beautiful resort. This place is unbelievable. The grounds are so well maintained, the beaches are cleaned every morning, and you don't even have to worry about stepping on seaweed. It truly was paradise.

Upon arrival, we were served ice cold champagne in the Royal Service lounge, which was wonderful after the hot bus ride to the resort. We were told that only one of our rooms was ready early and that the second one would not be ready until 3 pm, which was check in time. It ended up being ready around 4 30.

Waking up the third day, our air conditioner was leaking, and there was a huge puddle across our floor. We called down to the front desk, and they sent someone up within the next hour to take a look at it. We were informed that the problem was worse than they had originally thought, and we could move rooms if we wanted, which we did.

The staff was extraordinarily nice. Everyone was smiling constantly. I would 100% recommend the Royal Service, you're treated so much better when you have it. Also, if you tip well, and frequently, the service will be MUCH better.

The service at the bars is excellent, however, service in the restaurants is definately lacking. The first night we went to the Italian restaurant, which took almost 2.5 hours to finally complete our meal. Unacceptable when all we ordered was an entree, no appetizers. The steakhouse was a little better, the French restaurant being the best of all of them. Apparently its pretty tough to get a reservation there, so make sure you book as soon as you get to the resort, ITS WORTH IT!!! The filet is one of the best I have EVER had, and the service was very good.

The drinks would be better if they were made with fresh fruit, instead of "slushee machine" slush, however they were decent.

The beds on the beach were amazing, but ignore the rules and reserve one early in the morning, or you'll never get one.

Overall, it was an amazing experience, despite the few problems we had, which were resolved fairly quickly.

I would recommend this resort to anyone!!

Enjoy!

• Liked — The unbelievable beach and lounges!
  • Disliked — The restaurant service
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
6 Thank canadiangirly21
westchester, NY
Reviewed 25 February 2007

We just came back with our 2 kids age 14 and 11. Overall we had a good time.

THE GOOD:
Great beach and great pool. Grounds were very pretty and kept clean. Plenty of food and drinks. All what you can expect from a all incluive. The kids were happy and kept busy at the pool bar and beach.

The bad: We called in advance for a connecting room and we even had a confirmation. When we got there they informed us that it was impossible. We had to put our kids in a seprate room. The rooms were just ok but the bathrooms were disgusting. I never felt clean. I wish I would of brought my own soap. The soap didn't even smell. Thank god I brought my own shampoo! The towels and bathrobe didn't seem really clean. NOT a good feeling...Someone stole my husbands baseball hat from our room. We called the front desk and thery came to pretend to help. It was never found. They acted like we lost it and it was not true, the maid stole it...Overall it was ok for the price. Get the best deal you can and you will be happy.

• Liked — the beach and pool
  • Disliked — the rooms/bathrooms
  • Stayed February 2007, travelled with family
2 Thank ilenaosma
Boston
Reviewed 24 February 2007

After traveling to Mexico the last five years our family was ready to try something different. I research mostly through tripadvisor and the "Royal Service" feature of the Paradisius was very attractive to us. I will begin by saying the resort has many wonderful qualities. Our check out started at the wrong place. I thought after telling them we had royal service that we were at royal service check in but after completing all the paperwork found out royal service check in is in a completely different building. Once at the proper place, a very lovely VIP buiding, we sat down at a nice desk with champagne and air conditioning and did the check in all over again. We made dinner reservations and were then transported by a golf cart trolley to our rooms. We had two rooms as requested side by side. Our bellboy/butler was very informative and our rooms were spacious and clean. We found out during our stay our made Francescia our maid was wonderful! each day she spent time dusting, cleaning, washing the floors and anything else that needed to be done to make our rooms spotless. We were happy to have brought some fun school supplies for her 6(!) kids. The first night we ate at the Hibiscus buffet. Big mistake. the food was horrible!! If you have to eat there order the pasta. Its only thing edible. It did get better after that. We had reservations at the Japensese (great), French (good but you will leave hungry), Chinese (Great food horrible service), and Mexican (great), Italian (great and open until 3am), we had lunch once at the italian and a late night snack once also, the minetrone soup and eggplant parm is delicious. We had breakfast and most lunches in the Royal service Lounge. The breakfast was buffet but they will make omelets if you ask. The lunches were very good especially the chicken marsela. There are no sandwiches though so try another place if you want something on that idea. My biggest complaint though was the drink service at the Royal Service beach. The royal service beach is a bit of a farce. No one checks to see who goes in an out of the royal service beach or pool and people save chairs the night before. There is no drink service on that part of the beach. When I inquired they said there is and introduced me to the "beach runner", he however stayed at the pool bar and we had to walk up almost everytime we wanted a drink. When I did complain at the royal service front desk, another guest overheard me and said she was served one drink on the beach the whole week she was there. I did notice the beachrunners on the other side working very hard. Someone from management needs to spend a few hours watching and correcting this situation. Any other resort we stayed at we had drink service and only had to tell them once what you wanted and they served us all day. The beach runners are only hurting themselves because we as many others were tipping consticently for service. This is the most expensive vacation we have taking which would have been fine had we been able to at least been served a drink on the beach.
I would not return to the Paradisus until that and a few other customer service problems were solved. We traveled with our 18&16 year olds who did meet plenty of other teens and had a ball. the shows are very good. The Las Vegas show and Michael Jackson Show were excellent. This is a big resort so you will need to take the trolleys. They ran regularly but when they didnot we walked and that was fine. It also rained for two days. We heard this was unusual for this time of year though. If you have reservations to travel here you will enjoy the wonderful beach and water!! Plan your dinners, stay away from the Hibicus restraunt and be prepared to walk up the beach bar for drinks!! You will enjoy it!!!

• Liked — The beautiful beach and water
  • Disliked — No Royal Beach drink Service
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank AddictedToTravel01
Waterloo, Canada
Reviewed 24 February 2007

We just returned from a one week stay at the Paradisus Punta Cana. We booked our trip using airmiles through their vacation group. We had originally been booked into the Paradisus Palma Real but a few days before we were contacted and told that 30 or so people were bumped from that hotel due to some kind of building issue at the Palma Real.

Although we were disappointed the Airmiles people were going to refund us the difference in the rates and give us an additional 200 dollars each for our inconvience. Ok, I'm feeling a little better now and started to pack.

Our flight through Air Transat - WestJet was fine and we landed without any issues. We were handed little vouchers on the plane that we would need to enter the country. We got through immigration and then there is another point where the person scans your ticket and lets you go through..or so we thought. My husband got through fine but I was told to stand to the side along with about 20 other people. My husband hastily handed me my passport. We were told that our vouchers were no good and after about a half hour wait we were told that we would have to go back and pay another $10 to get a proper ticket.

What a scam! We got our luggage and tried to find our transfer to the hotel. A guy holding up a sign to our hotel looked like the right person to go to. Wrong! Another scam and we were put into a private van for another $25. As we passed armed military people on the brand new highway, I wondered if we would make it to the hotel. Luckily we did but I was not in a good mood.

We purchased the Royal Service option so there was a private conceirge check in. We have stayed in the Paradisus on the Mayan Riveria and Costa Rica and have had great facilities and service before and expected the same here. Although we were past the 3pm check in time we waited another 2 hours before our room was ready. They offered us a glass of champagne and we walked around the resort. On first glance the beach and pools were wonderful. Finally our room was ready. I had read other reviews that said we should tip the maid and butler to ensure some specail attention. So we tipped the butler nicely and left a tip for the maid. It didn't seem to get us any attention what so ever but at least our safe was not robbed as others had reported. We made sure to take our safe key with us all the time.

The Royal Service lounge was great and serves breakfast and lunch, along with snacks around 4pm. After we were getting settled in our room, they sent over a bottle of champagne and some fruit. The Royal Service lounge also has free internet with two computers, table for playing cards and a big screen TV. We spent some time in there during the rainy days. We had three days of rain. It sucked but at least we were in a warm climate.

The pools are cold, the water at the beach is much warmer. The bali beds were great but don't brush up against the over-hanging tthatch as the bugs drop down on your hair. Clean sandy beach, just like brown sugar. Really good for long walks on the beach. Not much shopping. We didn't buy a thing.

One of the reasons we wanted to stay at the Palma Real was that it is located directly across the street from the Cocotal Golf course. Our package included 4 rounds of golf. The Paradisus Punta Cana is located about 20 minutes away and you need to catch the bus. You must make reservations a day ahead. The buses leave at 6:30, 7:30 and 8:30 and are very prompt. Once you get dropped off at the club house run to get in line to pay your cart fees ($30) next run downstairs and grab your clubs. As soon as you can give your receipt to the attendant and you can get in line to tee off no matter what your tee time says. Try to start right away so you can finish your round in time to catch the 1:15 bus back to the resort. If you do you can make it to the buffet before they close off the lunch at 3pm.

The golf course is great, 3 sets of nine holes. A little bit of water but not much. Nice wide fairways, lots of sand. Hardly ever saw the beverage cart but we brought lots of water from the hotel with us. We also brought some baggies and took muffins from the breakfast buffet. Although they tell you the breakfast buffet opens at 7:00am you can get there about 15minutes early and they will let you eat.

If you can afford it book a tee time at Punta Espada, Cap Cana. It is said to rival Pebble beach by two people we talked to, with 9 holes along the ocean. We had made a reservation for Tuesday but when we drove all the way there we were informed it's closed on Tuesdays. After 3 days of complaining we finally got our taxi fare ($70 US) refunded by Royal Service.

The restaurants sadly need re-decorating. Dominican food is not very tasty either. Everyone had a different favourite restaurant but only two need reservations (Japanese and Romantica). Every other restaurant has a cattle call. So get there early and be the first in line for the 7:00pm opening. If you miss it and they are all full you usually wait until 8:30 to 9 for a table to open up.

Try not to get caught by the guys selling the Vacation "time share" stuff. Beware they want to get $50,000 US from you for this little item.

There are no special transports for Royal Service guests and we had a hard time even flagging down a ride to the lobby. They also have a Family Concierge which is like a Royal Service. Our thought was that this resort should not try to pretend to offer Royal Service and move all the Royal Service to the Palma Real and leave this sad, old resort to young families who might not be able to afford the nice resorts.

I was glad I packed a small flashlight. One night the power went out across the region. Lots of little bugs were annoying. Large crickets were around usually hiding under cushions by the pool or under your pillows in the rooms. I saw an exterminator guy going to the room above us 2013 (which by the way had a very squeeky bed).

Lots of people were there from Russia, France, Spain and Germany and the menus were printed in four languages. Locals did not speak very good English. We did make our concerns known to the Royal Service manager. She aplogized and said they have a hard time attracting mult-lingual people.

Basically, we won't be going back to the DR or to this hotel. If you are going to spend this much - go to Costa Rica's Paradisus Playa Conchal.

Buenes Dias!

• Liked — Beach and Golf
  • Disliked — Poor Service and needs building repairs
  • Stayed February 2007, travelled as a couple
3 Thank toastedalmond
Kaukauna, WI
Reviewed 21 February 2007

Our trip the first week of Feb. was nothing short of excellent!! For those of you who like to take advantage of the "all inclusive" activites, this place had them all. We were most surprised and thrilled with the whole scuba diving experience, but we also did snorkeling, horseback riding , golf, and merengue dance lessons. Since we golfed 4 of the days we were there, we ran out of time to do the bike riding, the wall climbing, and the walk through the eco park (where I heard there were monkeys and macaws). Also there were kayaks, boogey boards, and windsurfing opportunities that we didn't get time for - all included in the hotel price. Plus there was a casino and a show each night.

When we went to the scuba diving lessons, the instructor (Elie) was very patient with us beginners. In fact, I was scared to go out on the boat after our lessons in the pool, and he helped me through it by actually holding my arm the entire 30 minutes we were swimming along the bottom of the ocean. It was quite an experience, one I'll probably never have again, and I have Elie to thank for that! He is very compassionate as well as very good at what he does. If you are the adventurous type, make sure you take this opportunity.

Golf was very nice as well. The course (Cocotal) is very pretty, and they really have an organized system of getting everybody out for their tee times. I would recommend golfing early in the morning, as the sun can get quite hot. We liked the first tee time (7:00 a.m.), and it was just enough time to get off the shuttle and get onto the links. Just a reminder, though, make sure you get a golf voucher from the hotel to turn in to the pro shop, or they will try to charge you for the all-inclusive golf! We did have to pay $35 per person for a power cart. The Benjamina course was, in my opinion, the prettiest nine of the three they had. And I was surprised that in 4 rounds we never got paired up with another couple from the states, always from Spain, or France, or Italy, or Canada. That was interesting and reminds us how golf is universal!

The restaurants were all great (didn't get to try the French), and our favorite was the steakhouse. The least favorite was the Brazilian one, as you had to wait in between each meat selection, as they brought a big skewer to your table and sliced you some off. The cuts of meat were not quite like we are used to here in the states, but it was still good enough to try something different.

The bar service was fun - we gave some new nicknames to the bartenders such as "Smiley" (Miguel) and "The Whistler" (Jose David). You will know why the nicknames after you come across these guys! Socrates and Raphael were also very good to us, and they all mix a fast drink. Try the lime punch with slices of lime in it - it has a name I don't remember, but they pour it in your glass with a soup ladle, and then add rum. It is very refreshing!! A good tip is to bring an insulated mug from home, as the drinks can get warm fast. We brought ours to the bar to get filled, then brought them to the beach with us.

Our room was always clean, no bugs whatsoever, and the maid got us our extra things like more pillows and Diet Pepsi upon request.

All in all I have no complaints and would highly recommend the Paradisus to anyone who wants to take advantage of all the activities and have some fun. If you are just going to lay on the beach and not participate in the included activities, you might be paying for more than its worth. My advice to you is to tan at home !

• Liked — It was very beautiful and the staff very friendly
  • Disliked — I had a little trouble communicating because I don't speak Spanish, but most of the staff could understand English quite well.
  • Stayed February 2007, travelled as a couple