“Not what we paid for!”

Paradisus Punta Cana Resort
Ranked #25 of 113 Hotels in Punta Cana
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 25 July 2010

First let me start off saying the property here is gorgeous! Everything is very well maintanined. The beach was FABULOUS and the pools were awesome. No complaints there. This is my first time writing a negative review, I never wanted to be one of "those people" but I have to speak up on this resort.
My husband and I booked the ROYAL SERVICE catagory for our special 10 year anniversary. We wanted to be pampered. We were disapointed with the service that was promised. The butler service is a joke. There is no "personal" service what so ever. Put it this way, every hotel has a desk you call if you need anything-housekeeping, room service, etc,etc..and this is exactly what you do-just call the extention for whatever you need. The only difference is that being that the property is extremley large-you can call the Royal Service desk for a "butler" (a.k.a driver) to pick you up in a golf cart and take you to another part of the resort. Which by the way you might wait for a LONG time before he shows up. They tell you "OK-5 minutes" but it's never 5 minutes. We actually missed a tour because the guy never showed up to take us to the main lobby-which is about 1/2 mile from the beach-where are room was. So be warned! Also part of the Royal Service is the private pool and beach area with waiter service. Which is a nice feature-however...this doesn't stop people who did not pay extra for the Royal Service catagory to enter the area. So why did we have to pay a whole lot extra money when we could have gotten a regular room and saved quite a few hundred dollars?? Every now and then someone from the staff would see someone with the wrong wristband and kick them out of the area-probably because somebody complained. The waiters on the beach and the bartender in the pool wouldn't say anything to those guests because they were getting tipped-so I imagine they didn't want to lose the money..got me?
The food here was OK,..nothing special..just OK. Don't expect anything to blow you away. They did have a wide variety of restaurants but you never knew which one was opened that day-you always had to call the desk. That was annoying. The Chinese and the Steak House was our favorite. Being from NY and having awesome Chinese here I was skeptical about Dominican Chinese but it was actually very good. The Sushi restaurant was horrible..if you're a sushi lover..stay away!! The best lunch spot was the BBQ buffet. They had all kinds of meats and burgers cooked to order.
My advice is too save your $$$ and don't book Royal Service and you probably won't be disapointed. I always said, if you go into something with high expectations and don't get it..it's a let down...which is what happened with us. We were expecting Royal Service treatment and didn't get it. The only BIG plus to this catagory is that the Royal Service rooms are by the beach and most of the restaurants so you didn't need to hop on a bus or call a driver to pick you up. But again,..the rooms are badly in need of an upgrade and again..not what we were expecting for the money we paid.
Beware of the staff,..yes the staff..trying to rope you in to time shares for their parent company Sol Melia...they got us good...didn't see it coming. Lost 90 min of our vacation listening to the BS.
My recomendation would be to go any EXCELLENCE resorts (there is one in DR) or SANDALS which we have been to many, many times and both companies far exceed everything that the Paradisus offers.
Good luck my fellow travelers!

3  Thank mmeow1
Write a ReviewReviews (13,434)

Reviewed 21 July 2010

Don't be discouraged by the negative (nit-picky) reviews. This place (The Reserve) is GREAT! The beach and the Reserve pools were wonderful places to lounge for hours on end with a frosty beverage in hand!

Pros: The Service, the Food, and Child care for all ages (unlike the Paradisus Reserve Palma Real.) The Food is good, the staff and service were wonderfully friendly and attentive. The RESERVE was soooo much better than the Principle (the main resort) Paradius for food and rooms. The pools - both the adult and the kid's pool are awesome and NOT crowded. The kid's pool was especially wonderful because it has fun water slides, is less than 2 feet deep at any point and right next to the kids club - staffed with an incredibly happy caring group.

Negative reviews about the Reserve's distance to/from the beach must be for those who'd rather not have a leisurely 5-10 minute stroll through beautifully groomed landscape or a short ride on a trolley.

The night shows were fun and well produced considering it's not Vegas where money is no object.

Con: My one negative thing about it all was that the Japanese restaurant was too incredibly hard to get into given the food. Its good, but not great nor worth (the days) wait.

TERRA, the steakhouse, and Fuego were AWESOME. The beef there is the best I've ever had - it's all local! The burgers at the beach grill were my favorite! The breakfast at the Reserve was AWESOME - it puts the less-than-dazzling buffet at the main Paradisus to shame.

Best all-inclusive I've ever been to!

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
3  Thank onl99
Reviewed 21 July 2010

I was invited to a wedding in July 2010. At first it was said that you didn't have to stay at the hotel in order to attend the ceremony. But then the HOTEL said that people that were staying at other hotels or lets say that you live in DR you had to buy a day pass for $95.00. Which I think its ridiculous because you are not going to use their amenities (like pool, buffet, beach, and other activities). You are just attending a ceremony. These are things they don't tell you. In other words if you don't stay there you basically have to pay for your food. Even though the Bride and Groom also pay per person. Very ridiculous.... So if you don't want to go through this, DO NOT CELEBRATE YOUR WEDDING HERE!!!!!!!!! ANYWAY THE SERVICE IS HORRIBLE........ I felt horrible for the people that had to pay for a day pass that they basically did not use.

Reviewed 19 July 2010

This was the worst trip my family and I had ever taken. We have been to DR (other resorts) many times and this was by far, the worst. We all got sick from the food and/or water. We drank the Alaska water which is the bottled water they offer at this resort, but still we were all sick from severe stomach pains and constant diarrhea and so did many other people that we spoke to. Everyone was complaining of the same symptoms. Besides us getting sick, the food is disgusting. The same breakfast buffet and lunch buffet every single day. It NEVER changes. Dinner is better if you can get into one of the nicer restarants, but that wasn't easy to do unless you plan on eating around 6:00 every night.

When we first arrived and opened the door to our room, I was disgusted. The rooms are so old and they smell. My sisters room was even worse than mine. Most things, i.e., t.v., alarm clock, hot water do not work. It went from bad to worse. On the second night, I turned down the sheets only to find tiny little ants crawling all over our bed. I freaked out and called housekeeping to change our sheets and as he was changing the sheets, I spotted a 5 inch cockroach crawling on the coffee table. I quickly packed my bags and called the manager. By now it was 12:30 in the morning and we found ourselves arguing for an upgrade over on the Reserve side which was suppose to be much better. Long story short, the next day we tried to reason with Ivan Galarza who is the rooms manager and he had the nerve to charge us an extra $50 a night to stay at the Reserve after arguing with him for 1 hour. This side was a lot nicer. If you're going to stay at this hotel, I recommend staying at the Reserve. The other room compare to what we had at the Reserve was crap. The beach is nice and so are the comfy chairs with the thick cushions. The pool (not on the Reserve side) had way too many people drinking around the swim up bar. It was very noisy and no one was leaving to pee which makes you wonder....hmmm? Exactly where are all these people peeing? The Reserve pool was very nice and quiet.

All in all, the resort is way too large and confusing. By the time you figure it all out, it's time to go home. The lobby is in one area, the restaurants are all scattered everywhere, the beach is away from the Reserve. A trolley or large golf cart (whatever that was) has to transport you to different areas. It's a pain because sometimes you have to wait a long time for one and when it does come, people were like vultures running to get on it. I got a few mosquito bites and pray I did not contract malaria which could be another concern you might want to look into. Save your money and go elsewhere. It's not worth the health risks.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank Nicole074
Reviewed 18 July 2010

My husband and I just returned from a wedding at the Paradisus Punta Cana 4 day, 3-night vacation to the Dominican Republic.

Arrival
We arrived at the airport in DR, got through customs and immigration, and we were brought to our transfer without incident. We had to wait for 45 min on a bus with no air-conditioning for other people to show up so the bus would not be empty. After a long flight, and being hot, tired and hungry, this was not an impressive start to the DR. experience. Once we finally were under way, the bus ride was fine, and we personally only had to stop at 1 other hotel, whereas friends of ours who came in on different flights had to stop and 3 or more hotels before getting to the same destination.
Check-in
This part of the trip was horrible. It seemed like a deliberate attempt at poor service, or at best a complete lack of concern for the incoming guests. Two people behind the front desk were helping one couple, and two others were walking around behind the desk doing who knows what, while several parties waited in line. We personally waited in line half an hour to be told our rooms weren’t ready and to come back after we had eaten. In other places we’ve stayed, the hotel typically provides cold towels, a drink or other refreshment, but not here. It would have been extremely easy to tell people whose rooms weren’t ready immediately to go and get food, but they couldn’t be bothered. After returning from the restaurant as we were told, which at this point was well after check-in time, we were told our room was clean, but we didn’t have any pillowcases or towels. We said let us to our room so we could at freshen up after travelling, and they can drop those off later. It was all very weird.
Lobby:
The lobby looks exactly how it looks on the web site—very inviting, and lots of chairs, couches, etc The hanging chairs were cute to relax on. It was the one pleasant thing in the lobby to experience.

Room :
Our room was nice and spacious, and reasonably clean. The only issue was the large quantity of bugs in the bathroom sink. I understand that it’s the tropics, and there’s only so much you can do, but I really need to have no bugs in my room to feel like it’s a high quality room. I did not like the feeling of going to bed and wondering if the bugs were going to find there way to the bed, or my laundry, etc. To round out our miserable first day, there was no hot water in our room the first day, and they were uncertain when it would be back. I was told by other guests this is not an uncommon occurrence.
Grounds and Pool:
No one did much to help us understand the layout of the resort other than to give us a map. It was fairly easy to follow, although the place is much bigger than it seems initially. The pool here is quite large, and kept at a temperature that at times seemed almost too warm. The staff at the pool bar was very nice, but the drinks seemed watered down. The biggest problem though with the pool was definitely the towel service. Clean towels were unavailable for probably 80% of the trip. They showed up maybe twice a day, and were then gone within 15-20 minutes. If you didn’t stop by at one of those random times, then too bad. This topic is a reason alone to not go to this resort. This was a problem for everyone, including people we knew and random people we heard discussing the issue throughout the resort. When they know how many people they have staying at the resort, not planning for an appropriate number of clean towels just shows a lack of regard for the guests. When I asked how I could be at the resort for 2 days without towels one of the pool towel staff said I was “unlucky.” I really could not believe this is an acceptable answer to any resort, let alone of that thinks it is a high quality resort.
Fitness Center & Spa

The fitness center was beautiful it is very nice and well equipped, and had fun classes offered.

Food:
The buffet restaurant (Hibiscus) is very hit-or-miss. On our first day there, the lunch we had was awful. In contrast, the breakfast was very good, with stations for eggs made to order and omelets. We didn’t risk dinner there, but heard that the Mexican-themed buffet offered one night was good. Gabi, the upscale restaurant over at the Reserve section did offer very good food but with slow service. Dolce Vita made excellent pizzas, but the service was painfully slow. Qi, the Chinese restaurant, had decent food, although friends who were travelling with weren’t too happy with it. Sadly, the best food experience we had during the trip was the Poolside Grill, where we had excellent burgers and fries, served quickly, by a staff member who was friendly and cheerful. Nowhere else did we get that complete combination. When we went to the actual wedding reception, we feared the worst but were pleasantly surprised. The buffet food at the reception was the best food we’d had all week. While we were glad the best food was where it mattered most, it was frustrating as well, as this indicated that they knew how to make good food, but chose not to.

Staff
Between issues with no hot water and no towels and the other issues encountered, we wanted to speak with a manager. However, no matter what the situation was, no one was willing to give the manager’s name. It seemed as if the staff was deliberately trained to keep the guests away from the management. At one point, I simply wanted to ask the manager if they cared about the issues we were facing, but if they have no desire to even meet the guests, clearly they do not. A lot of times, the language barrier became an issue, or an excuse to keep from answering a question. For an example of the first, when I asked a staff member for directions, I was told “yes, thank you.” For the second point, which was more frustrating, I asked if there was another room I could use to shower in when I had no hot water in my room. I was told, “No, the entire resort has no hot water.” When I later heard our friends had hot water the entire time, I called again and told them this, and they said, “Sorry, I didn’t understand the question” which seemed strange for the complete and direct answer they provided.
Another similar incident was staff members sending our dinner party to restaurant that were closed. It seems no one was on the same page, and no one could speak for certain if a restaurant was open or closed, and in the case of the Japanese restaurant if it had 1 or 2 seating. Seems to me staff would know this information and be well versed with it.
Francisca de la Rosa and Ana Isabel Vera at the front desk were very kind. They seemed sincerely upset at the treatment and experience we were having. If more staff was like them, perhaps it would have been a different experience. One other employee to mention was Rinaldo. He seemed genuinely interested in hearing the issues of the resort, and trying to make them right. But by the time we saw him the 3rd time and were still having bad experiences over and over again, it was apparent his patience had worn out. He seems equipped to handle a single problem, but the resort has so many issues with bad food, and service that it is one man trying to fight an uphill battle. After he blew us off that time, we did not seek him out again.
Travelers:
If you have any specific questions-, I would be more than happy to answer them vacation37@gmail.com

Lisa and Jim
NJ

3  Thank LisaJim37
Reviewed 18 July 2010

I should get straight to the point save you time .. The food not great ! I was sick for 2days .. I had a room change due to the fact they first checked me in to a room that was full of mildew and holes in the ceiling . When i first checked in they greeted me respectfully and kind but there was a catch depending how you are dress you are a target to a time share they will offer you an upgrade just for the 90minute session that will turn to a 3hours you could of used at the beach so beware from ''ONESIMO'' very hypocrital guy.. At check in promises a voucher for breakfast at EL GABI which is just trash .. Every staff in here is out for some cash begging for food asking if you can leave some clothes behind and let me tell you PARADISUS PUNTACANA, PARADISUS PALMA REAL AND THE RESERVE PARADISUS PALMA REAL IS ALL THE SAME, SHARE THE SAME GROUNDS JUST DIFFERENT ROOM TYPES TRUST ME I TOOK A LOOK AT ALL OF THEM SO I ASSURE YOU DO NOT STAY HERE .. THE ONLY GREAT THING THIS PLACE HAS IS THE BEACH WHERE YOU CAN STAY AT GRAND PALLADIUM PUNTA CANA AND YOU WILL GET YOUR MONEY WORTHS .. ANOTHER THING ROACH WAS IN MY ROOM I KILLED IT CALLED HOUSEKEEPING AT 11PM CLEANER JUST SMACKS IT OFF MY BED AND CHANGE ONE SHEET NOT ACCEPTABLE AND BEWARE WITH THE ROACHES THEY FLY .. HOPE YOU FIND THIS USEFUL

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 13 July 2010

I recently returned from a trip to Paradisus Punta Cana hotel where I was attending my nephew's wedding. The grounds were breathtaking, almost like staying in a rain forest. And the wedding reception was well orchestrated and managed very well. But that is the best I can say about this hotel. There were many negatives and most of the 50 people who attended the wedding also felt the same way. The general conssensus was not just that they wouldn't want to come back to the hotel but they wanted to leave before their scheduled departure. The problems included many different things such as - there were a number of different themed restaurants but different ones closed at different times without any general notice of which ones were closed, and those that were open quickly filled up with long waiting times. There was a general buffet restaurant but the food was mediocre at best. The guest buildings were spread out over a large area and it was very difficult to find your particular room because building addresses were not readily displayed so you could walk around for up to an hour before you found your room. There were jeep trolleys that took you around the grounds but they didn't run at regular times and some people had to wait up to 45 minutes for one to come by to pick them up. There were a number of other problems that either I or people in my extended family experienced. These included - not being able to get pool towels after 10 or 11 am (people were running over to get them after breakfast before they ran out); they didn't always automatically clean the room so you had to call, sometimes several times, before they came; my sister's room got flooded; and several other guests room keys stopped working for no apparent reason. They assigned a "concierge" to assist you during your stay but all they were concerned about was getting you to attend one of their seminars whose goal was to sell you time shares. Except for one decent evening show, the shows in the evenings were pretty bad. For example, one night they billed the show as a "fire show". The fire show turned out to be dancers daning under colored lights. I don't take to writing reviews of place I travel to (becuase like many people I'm too busy when I return home), and I've traveled to many places from Europe to the Caribbean, cruises and around the U.S., but any place that bills itself as a 5 star hotel should be a lot better than this one. One final note, one at of three people I spoke to (including my wifte, son and myselft) had some type of stomach sickness. To end my trip, the bus to take me and my family to the airport never arrived at the designated time and we had to raise hell to get to the airport on time. There are many beautiful hotels in the Caribbean and I would strongly suggest you find one where you don't feel like you are just passing time and are well served.
Larry S., CPA