11,901 results
All reviewsplatinum loungebella pastaplatinum packagebungalow suiteplatinum beachplatinum sectionjustin bieberplatinum servicemain lobbyel pescadorlobby buffeta la carte restaurantsseafoodthe lion kinganimation teamdominican republicsteak
Reviewed 18 January 2012

We travelled to this resort with another couple from January 9th, 2012-16th.

Rooms: We had booked a junior suite and upon check in were told that they had upgraded us to a Suite. Our rooms were 611 and 612. The units have really neat corner balconies which I thought was their best feature. The suites are beginning to show their age and the cleaning staff is not the most thorough. There were slight gaps under the door which opened the gate for roaches...of which we had 3 in our room over the week that we saw. At one point I reported it and they must have come in with a can of raid. I understand that these pests are naturally in tropical environments and that their presence has nothing to do with cleanliness, but an easy fix would be a tighter door seal in my opinion. Upon check out we were given access to a real junior suite to shower in and they seemed every bit as nice (maybe not as large) but newer for sure and the door seemed to be better sealed.

Food: Awesome- no complaints, if you can't find anything in their buffet you need professional help.

Drinks: Excellent. I can testify that they do not water down their drinks like some other resorts I have stayed at. Awesome cappuccino at the lobby bar (they'll even throw in a little brandy or Frangelico if you ask).

Layout: The beach was a long way from our room, but, that said, we were closer to everything else that we used more often. Their train system is ok but sporadic. We liked the smaller pool close to our room as it was a little quieter and had tons of loungers. This was by far the most lushly vegetated resort that I have ever been to (30+ All inclusives and counting). The vegetation is so mature and beautifully diverse it's breathtaking. There are peacocks everywhere, parots, bunnies(caged), iguanas(also caged), ducks, flamingos, fish etc.

Beach: the best I have seen anywhere in the world for sand, sun and swimming.

People: Out of this world! These are the friendliest, happiest most jovial folks on the planet.

Tipping: Set aside $100 for your week there and reward your favorite servers. They work so hard and need so much. There wasn't a lot of tipping going on that I saw, which I found sad. Although it does not increase the quality of service you receive, it increases their quality of life which, in my opinion, is much more relevant.

Shopping: Very short walk to the end of your driveway will bring you upon a large number of indoor shops with very eager sellers. Tip: we paid around $1ea for average sized cigars (10 for $10) a good way to test for freshness is to squeeze the pack. The best price we bargained for a 26oz Brugal rum was $14USD...Do NOT wait to buy it at the duty free at the airport it is $22 and $24(extra viejo) for the same bottles.

Tip: Bring your own beach towel. It's a pain to pick up theirs everyday and if you lose it or another tourist takes it, it's $20 USD. You can still use theirs if yours refuses to dry in the humid climate.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
14  Thank Penelope1970
Reviewed 18 January 2012

We visited the Bavaro Princess for 8 days just last week. (January 2012) Before our trip, I , like most everyone, read some of the reviews and I was a little nervous about going. I couldn't have been more pleasantly surprised! This place is gorgeous. We checked in right away when we arrived. Our room was nice and clean, however, the air did not work so we switched rooms. New room was fine. The lobby is huge, open air and comfortable. Nice lounge bar inside and one outside just around the corner. The grounds were spectacular with lots of wildlife. The peacocks were beautiful! They visited our balcony each morning. Poolside at the main building was comfortable and always well maintained. Small bar there for convenience. The maintenance crew here at the Bavaro is amazing! They work day and night to keep the grounds looking beautiful. . Kudos to the staff who are wonderful and very helpful. We have made some very cool new friends.The tropical atmosphere is amazing. The 'train' comes by every 10 minutes or so to transport you to the beach. There are no words to describe the beach. Just think of the most beautiful screensaver and thats what you will see when you visit this beach.
I did read some reviews about the food and about the times you could eat. Well, our experience was great. There is a buffet in the main building. Breakfast is from 7 to 10, Lunch is from 1-3 and dinner is from 6:30 to 10. We had no problems with the times. Food was really good. Each night they would have a different theme night. We thouroughly enjoyed it. There are several other restaurants on the resort to choose from as well. Times to dine are different for each, but you can ALWAYS find something to eat here. The bartenders don't cheap out on the booze. When you order a drink at any of the many bars on the resort, you're gonna get a drink! Not just a half shot drink. The drinks were delicious! Pina Coladas, Daquiris, Margaritas, Tequila Sunrise, all were excellent.
Our only complaint would be the vacation club people. They are EXTREMELY pushy about selling their vacation club travel plans. You have to be very firm, every day, with them. But the rest of the staff were amazing!
I am not sure where the travelers who gave this place a bad review stayed. We had an amazing time. We thought the grounds were incredibly gorgeous. We thought the food was great and plentiful. Bartenders were awesome! Staff was incredible. Pools and beach were amazing. I couldn't imagine anyone having a bad time here!

Room Tip: Dont need to upgrade here. Regular rooms are just fine
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank JULIE D
Reviewed 18 January 2012

Two young men traveling to the south for the first time. Obviously we had an amazing time and enjoyed an escape from the everyday grind. My only issue with the resort was the number of times and amount of employees who offered drugs to us. I would definitely return here because the service, nightly entertainment and beach far overshadow the negative above.

I'm unsure if this is happening elsewhere but as I said it didn't ruin our trip, just came as a bit of a shock.

• Stayed: November 2011
7  Thank BeachBoundBoy
Reviewed 17 January 2012

Very large resort. Get the platinum package when you book with your travel agebt. We arrived at 10pm. No line up at the regular check in but after talking to them (gave us a couple shots) and telling them we were platinum we were taken away to the platinum lounge. We were a bit far from a couple friends room and we told them to switch us rooms so we could be closer. Happened the next day (they were booked solid). Platinum rooms great & close to beach & lounge. Platinum lounge had 2 computers for the 'net (main lobby has wi-fi). Food great. Room service when we wanted & no charge (platinum). Clean beach. Security makes sure the beach locals aren't annoying you trying to sell you something. Staff was wonderful. Some people on this website complained but a monetary tip ($1-$2) once in a while and a friendly smile on your part goes a long way. Here's an example: One night both lobby bars were packed. Everyone trying to get a drink & hollering stuff to the 3 bartenders (some people are so rude - would you like someone hollering at you). The patrons all looked frustrated because I guess they weren't being serviced fast enough. I sqeezed in near the bar, I made eye contact with one of the bartenders, smiled, and she came right over & asked me for my order. Afterwards I took out $2 for a tip & said "Thank you". That goes a long way. Anyway, great place. Sea & pool great. Rained off and on for 2 days. But who cares, it was still 30 degrees celsius and better than the 6ft snow banks (and minus 30 degrees) at home. Many Canadians (english & french) and Europeans. A few Americans. Many, many Russians or eastern European citizens (I found that weird, wouldn't they go to the warm parts of Mediterrean?) Anyway will go back again at a drop of a hat.

Room Tip: Go platinum.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Len S
Reviewed 16 January 2012

We transferred here from the grand paradise and found it a much better place. The food was very good for the most part. The rooms were clean although we found termites in all the wood of our room. We spent hours in the lobby waiting to check in and when we were ready to leave, we had to spend even more time waiting in the lobby. The check out times where never close to shuttle times so everyone was subject to long waits in the lobby ieither waiting to check in or out. Save your money and always go to the. 5 star resorts ! It's worth it!

• Stayed: January 2012