“Excellent Resort-great place”

Bavaro Princess All Suites Resort, Spa & Casino
Ranked #38 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 8 March 2012

Just back from Punta Cana Bavaro Princess all suites resort and spa [15 day vacation].
Not sure where the negative reviews come from on this resort.This is truly a 5-star resort.
We have traveled to a lot country's in the last 18 years staying at 4 and 5 star resorts.
The staff -bartenders-maids -front desk all very friendly and helpful.Food was great.Rooms
where very clean and renovated.[stayed in the 420 block].beach was fantastic.This resort is large so do yourself a favor and ride the tram around a couple of times to orient yourself.
Be sure to look up Melvin and the crew [they look after all of the activities and games] they are great.
I would recommend this resort to everyone.
FS

9  Thank fred s
There are newer reviews for Bavaro Princess All Suites Resort, Spa & Casino

Reviewed 7 March 2012

Alright so like many of you I read a ton of reviews on a ton of hotels before booking anything and especially read up on Bavaro Princess after I finally chose to stay there. First I'll say don't believe anything horrible you hear about this place... it really is A: in an awesome location sharing the best part of one of the best beaches (supposedly) in the world. And B: Very well maintained and staffed with the caveat of it being in a 3rd world country so like many other resorts you'll find negatives.

That being said I'll just give you the bullet points to try and help you understand what you'll find here. I went down with my girlfriend and really for the most part we had a great time... here's some highlights and tips I think you'll want to know:

- First when you get to the airport find your 'tour' company and DO NOT speak to any independant guys trying to take you to your resort. We almost went with one then figured out Prieto Tours would give us a free ride because they're an affiliate of Liberty Travel.

- The Resort in General: It's huge. Probably too big for our liking and although you can walk it in 10 or 15 mins it will get slightly annoying especially if you just need to run to the main lobby real quick. The trams are always around though and only twice were full. Grounds were Very well maintained with every kind of palm tree and a soft grass everywhere that feels great to walk on. There's peacocks, flamingos, etc. around the Licey (gourmet) restaurant, but no where else. The resort is so big really from it being split in the middle because of the 'Ecological Area'. OK so here's my opinion... I think when they wanted to build there they weren't allowed or it was too costly to bulldose all the mangroves and fill in the swamp so they just called it a 'preserve' and put a few paths through it. The 'zoo' part is a joke with 2 half dead iguanas, a bunch of pigeons on display for some reason(they obv. never been to NYC), a couple parrots and some bunnies. Definitely falling apart and either needs to be drastically upgraded to a REAL attraction or taken out. Theres a mangrove bridge that was pretty cool, but again.. not a real attraction. BTW the 'sewer' smell everyone talks about is just the decaying ORGANIC material in the swamp.. not a big deal.

-The Restaurants and Bars: The food was reason I didn't give this a 5 star. Let's just say they def don't have a salt shortage there. I guess they have to cater to many people from around the world so some food was inedible to us. It was the biggest dissapointment and complaint of the trip. My gf and I love eating out and tried every restaurant there in search of something decent. It reminded me of my college cafeteria with cheap, preprepared food. No we're not picky eaters. El Gaucho was OK .. she liked the Argentinian steak and my T bone was cooked close enough to medium rare, but if you go on an excursion and see the livestock there you'll realize why the steaks are so thin. Her steak was actually folded in half to make it look thicker... that was a first. The japanese hibachi(cook for you) was fun and they let you participate which is a great photo opp, but the sushi was def premade and gross. The actual food was extremely salty and I'd say I ate half and just couldn't do it anymore. Seafood was again... extremely salty and the lobster is so small you'll finish it in 5 bites. Licey is the gourmet place... first be sure to wear LONG pants because I showed up with khaki shorts, a nice shirt and loafers and they made me take the stupid tram back to put on jeans(cause that's way dressier). Yes I tried slipping them a $20 but it didn't work. This was the best place by far, but I would compare it to any average chain restaurant in the states like Olive Garden(minus the breadsticks).. nice atmosphere though. Don't do breakfast at El Gaucho... go to the main lobby where they had omelette makers and ppl cutting up fresh fruit. Desserts were dissapointing... with melted ice cream, prepackaged cakes and cookies you would find on the bottom shelf of the grocery store that nobody buys. Room service and the beach grill did the job with burgers, hot dogs, etc. but there's only so much junk food I can eat. All in all very average food, but not a deal breaker and NONE of us got sick one time, which is something we were worried about.

Bars were good... Platinum gets you Barcelo Rum and Stoli Vodka along with cuervo, johhny walker, etc. We just wish there was a drink menu to choose from besides a faded group of pictures in the beach bar. Good go-to's are Ron Punch, Mai Tai's, Vodka w/ pineapple, Dirty Banana. Bar tenders are all awesome.. tip them well. Pool bar is a lot of fun w/ great (younger) music. Oh and bring a 'bubba keg'.. they're great.

-Rooms: Yes go Platinum. They group those rooms together by the 'Platinum Lounge' which is by the beach. It's actually pretty nice and they'll help you plan your stay like reserving restuarants(you really don't have to.. we never waited besides the japanese place) Also the computers are a million times faster than the lobby ones you pay for and theres a coffee machine, fruit, water, etc. always available. BRING YOUR HOTEL CONFIRMATION PAPER. Our travel agent didn't tell us this, but even though it's 2012 and you're in the computer they still physically need the paper to check you in. We were in room 746 which was in the building next to the beach and everything worked fine with no smell at all. Definitely a huge thumbs up to how big they were and really was a main reason why i chose this place.

- The Beach: It was spectacular and is by far the best part of the resort. Big side note here though... trust me the old 'TOWEL GAME' is alive and well at this place(not so much at the pool). People get up at the crack of dawn OR will pay off a worker to put towels and books on prime chairs both platinum or regular then they won't go down until late morning or maybe not at all... who knows. Obv. there's no rule that says you can save a spot this way but I was told the 'rule of thumb' is after 30 mins you can take over. I tried this theory...only to have a guy eventually come down and start yelling at me. While trying to not rain blows upon his annoying face I finally had him admit that he took 4 hours to come down and that 'neither of us are wrong'. Look people... there's a million chairs so if just the people that are on the beach occupy the spots there will always be room... stop messing things up with the towel game.

Excursions: We did the Zip Line Canopy that's rated #1 on here and while I'd give the actual zip line part a 10... the ride is a 2 at best. Lots of uphill hiking so you need to be in shape. Just do it though... def worth it in the end. Also did 'Fun Buggy' which again is top rated on here. Kurt is like the mayor of DR and you'll have an awesome day. I'll write those reviews on the their pages.

In the end we made the most of the bad... and embraced the good and had a great vacation overall. As so many ppl have said... it's a 3rd world country so either deal with it or go to the Bahamas and pay double. Just like they say it'll be a 'dominican half hour(really an hour) this place is a 'dominican 5 star'. We didn't hear anything much better from other ppl we met on other resorts(actually way worse) so face the fact that you want to save money like I did and go enjoy perfect weather and palm trees cheaper than most other tropical places. Hope this helps someone. Feel free to email me w/ questions.

** Bring enough sunscreen it costs $30 there. Also I got a cold the last 2 days and suffered because of the lack of medicine there. Bring a 'survival kit' just in case. The jewelry is not silver and is prob worth a couple dollars..they'll put it in bags and force you to take it making you promise to come back and bring them money($40 to $80).. if this happens to you congrats.. you just got free cheap jewelry. The cigars on the beach are ruined already and not worth buying. Don't try to bring cologne or perfume on your carry-on leaving DR.. they threw out my $80 bottle even though it was 2.5 oz. When checking out tip the bell boy so your bags show up on time.. I almost missed my bus because they couldn't bring my bag to the lobby in the 2 hour window we gave them.(until I tipped them)

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
8  Thank mjb27
Reviewed 6 March 2012

This was our first stay at an all inclusive and we couldn't have had a better experience! From the moment we arrived, we were treated wonderfully. All of the staff, from check-in, to the wait staff, bartenders, maids were extremely friendly and helpful. There was always someone asking if we needed anything. Carlos was awesome!!! The beach was beautiful and the pool very nice. JR

10  Thank judy r
Reviewed 5 March 2012

We stayed here from February 25-March 3 for our first honeymoon.

We have travelled to Punta Cana before (can't remember resort names, sorry), Riveria Maya (Iberostar), Jamaica (Iberostar), Antigua (Sandals - our wedding). We have spoiled ourselves crazy with Butlers, ocean views, presidential suites, you name it, we have upgraded to it or bought it, but this year was budget year.

1. Departure.

Drove through a blizzard to get to Ottawa Airport to find our flight was delayed 4 hours. Hmmm.... everyone else taking off and landing but Sunwing was telling us it was a delay in Cancun... huh? Whatever.... We didn't feel they were being honest but what are you going to do?
First time with Sunwing and really no complaints. Staff friendly enough, hot towel and meal was appreciated.

2. Arrival Punta Cana/airport.

Because this was our 3rd trip to Punta Cana we knew what to do but it has been 5 years since we were last there and WOW that airport has gotten crazy. Couldn't find Sunwing rep but asked people around us and found our bus outside in a parking lot FULL of buses.... what a mess! If you are not aware, porters will 'attack' you and say "Sunwing?" because they know you just landed but they are NOT your Sunwing reps, check ID tags, they will lie to make a buck. A friendly but firm 'no gracias' will do. On the other hand, if you want help with your luggage, it's ok, spend the couple of bucks on a tip. Punta Cana is growing in leaps and bounds.... they have highways already, in 5 years!!

3. Complaints????.

NONE. After talking to many couples during the week, we came up with the following. If you don't spend the $$ to upgrade to at least a honeymoon suite, yes, you will have problems because you will end up with older rooms.

Upon arrival there was a beautiful fruit basket in our room with a small bottle of Brugal rum (honeymoon suite), welcome letter, along with coupons to get into all the restaurants, 20 min free massage, 2 free photos (the resort has photogs with monkeys, parrots, etc who will take your photos with them and you buy or not buy later, your choice but they are beautiful photos!

Our a/c was perfect. Our room was recently upgraded and could not have been better located. Far from the lobby so we took the tram in the evening to the bar, no problem. Yes, the bed is hard but didn't interrupt sleep. Water pressure and temperature were perfect. Room was cleaned promptly every day with turn down service, nothing spectacular but well done. No extras as we did not tip this service because we chose to tip generously in other places.

Do not expect to get more than 2 water and getting Coca light (Diet Coke) was nearly impossible, even after a $10 tip (mistake on our part there but we live on the stuff). Again, no big deal, really... understand you are in a developing country and Coke is probably crazy expensive for them to get. No shortage of beer in the fridge, too bad we don't drink it! LOL!! We gave it to the neighbors.

The beach - Bavaro beach is spectacular. How anyone would complain is beyond belief.

The Beach Chair hogs RULE -

There is a universal resort rule (ask any concierge or manager) that many people do not follow or know about. Here it is. If a chair has a towel on it and is unoccupied for 30 minutes to an hour, IT IS YOURS, TAKE IT. If there are belongings on that chair, it gets tricky, best to leave that alone. By the pool we saw the 7 am chair hogs out so, we chose to call a couple on it. If you don't have the stomach for it, don't do it but here is what happened to us. AT the pool we watched, we waited, we timed. After about 45 minutes, we took chairs with towels on them. A french couple approached us, very upset that we had 'their' chairs. Rob very calmly explained the rule. They were p***ed big time. If they had simply said something like 'I'm sorry, we are using those chairs' no problem, we would have apologized and gladly given them back. Sigh... what has happened to society? ANYWAY, Mr. Anger marched off to complain to the manager. We said "please do so". He never came back..... maybe he got educated. Let me say that we are very polite, patient people who love to make new friends but I truly believe if more of us KNEW THIS RULE, the chair hogging would stop!

Staff - simply awesome. Everyone said hello..... a smile and a hello/hola gets one back. Hmm. They remember you quickly. I found this resort to have more friendly staff than many I've been to. Sure there is an odd language barrier (I bring my Spanish/Eng dictionary just in case) but it is MUCH better than 5 years ago.

Service - restaurants were perfect, quick too. Drinks quick at bars, always served with a smile. Here is where we tipped.

Beach vendors - not a problem - again "no, gracias senior" with a smile and they are gone.

Bars - great! We actually skipped dinner once to meet our new friends at the Lobby Bar! It was a nightly routine and what a party (hey AmyJo & Timmie!!, Ksenia, and so many more wonderful people that we met and bonded with (hey Shane, Don, Shelley). No, we didn't get premium liquor and managed to live without it.... lol.... however, our Premium friends would order for us (thank you so much!) if there was something like Cuervo Gold that we couldn't get.

Food - no complaints, excellent in the a la carte restos - Argentinian steak was mouth watering, Seafood resto delicious, Asian was excellent. Why people complain is beyond my comprehension - unless maybe you are not familiar with fine dining.

Room Service - takes 40 minutes, didn't happen once, a bit of a language barrier ordering BUT delicious!! (you can get any beverages this way except for coffee and juice with breakfast)

Grounds are beautiful but one thing that I always adore is the bouganvillia (sp?) growing everywhere on resorts and there isn't much here. It is very green and lush everywhere though. We realized that early in the morning the gardeners pick the flowers for the housekeepers to put on beds, etc which leaves the gardens depleted of flowers! Very sad imho.

Tours - we did the Dolphin Island swim with dolphins, sharks and stingrays which literally brought me to tears. Nothing compares to it if you adore animals as we do. Photos are taken by profession photogs and you choose which ones you want on the excursion. We bought them all (59 photos for $70). We told them it was our anniversary and they took some special shots for us. Too much fun for words.

** Do not expect to 'ride' the dolphins as they offer in other places. I don't know why but they don't allow it. I expect it could be because it is harmful to them. Must google that. You can stroke them, kiss them and pose with them in ocean.

In conclusion (if you are still awake), fear nothing about this resort. I am quite spoiled when travelling and if it weren't for our sense of adventure in trying new resorts, I would go back there in a New York Minute. Loved it, loved it, loved it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: spend the money on upgrade to Honeymoon suite, we found we got most of the platinum benefits by doin...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
18  Thank Mary Lynn H
Reviewed 4 March 2012

looking for a great trip then come here. I just came back with my family and it was outstanding but a few things they need to work on like...1 the wait staff were abit rude, 2 the beds were extremely uncomfortable and hard - but you have soo much fun at the pool that you dont care! I loved the pool. Family friendly! The food was out of this world! if you have younger kids from 4-7 years old they will love there kids corner or something! try the dune buggee excusion - it was a blast and well worth the money.

Room Tip: platinum package for sure - closer to the water and excellent room service,free massages
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
9  Thank k l
Reviewed 1 March 2012

I have been all over and I must say this place was by far the BEST!!!! Gorgeous resort, staff was friendly remembered who you are and were constantly working hard. I am actually looking to book another vacation there ASAP!!! I have many differnent opinions on the food and attractions. I did however find the best places to eat and will know what to do next time. PLATINUM IS THE ONLY WAY TO GO!!!!!!! You can make dinner reservations for the whole week. Oh and you do need them otherwise you will wait. I believe if you do not upgrade you are not allowed to do this and believe me you do not want to be stuck with the buffet every night . You can travel to the sister resorts which have even better restaurants!! Email me with any questions you have about the location, people, etc. I will tell you whats worth doing and not doing. Overall this place is top notch!!!! franbellacesca@msn.com

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
19  Thank Francesca M
Reviewed 1 March 2012

First of all, I would like to say thank you to Daniel from a front desk. I wish everybody will do their job so professional like him. He just made our vacation unforgettable.Also I would like to thanks people from Chinese restaurant, who brought specially for us the meal to the Chopin restaurant(could you ask for better services?). I don't know what people complain about, but we had party of 9 people and everybody ready to go back. Food is very good, the grounds are amazing, the people are nice and helpful, they try to do everything to make your vacation perfect .It is not a 6* hotel,but you fill like V.I.P. person there.If you like a beach,good food and beautiful people - go for it. It was some negative experience there with a door key,but they fixed this problem. I believe, the management need to place a phone outside of the room in case of any problem with a key, that people can contact the main lobby. Another bad experience was with Apple vacation representative, who is almost ruin our vacation.It is shame, that just a one or few people can destroyed a very hard job of huge company, like Apple vacation.

12  Thank 903travel