“home away from home”

Bavaro Princess All Suites Resort, Spa & Casino
Ranked #35 of 113 Hotels in Punta Cana
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 3 August 2012

we have stayed at the bavaro princess 7 times ,usually april/may and once in december.we go back year after year and look forward to april 2013....to return to what we call home away from home and we look forward to seeing the staff who we consider family. we enjoy everything there..so if the room isnt ready when we arrive ...we sit in the lobby and have a drink and relax ,the vacation has started and we dont have to be anywhere for 14 days!!!!!
we have taken many photos over the years and have them developed and do our very best to give them to the staff who are in the photos,when we return the following year.we appreciate the long hours,the hard work and the effort each staff member puts in to make our vacation so very peaceful and enjoyable.
we have observed on far too many occasions ,how rude some people are to the staff....think about this.....when you are in your home towns/cities or villages and dare I say the majority are not in a third world ...do you act this way in your local super market or shopping centre or restaurant... if so stay home !!!! I cant believe the complaints about walking from the beach to the lobby....it is a 12 minute walk!!!! the food.....there are approx 40-50 places to eat in our home town ...guess what I dont like some of the food....so I dont eat there.....same thought process for the bavaro..... what I do eat I enjoy very much and have never had a problem with sickness. bottom line here folks, treat others as you wish to be treated..... please and thank you go along way.....and here at home we tip for just about everything,unless it is absolutely terrible .....so we tip when we are away. we have travelled in many countries that dont speak our language, and we do the best we can...but never do we take it out on the people whom we are speaking to.
so to all of our bavaro family...we miss you and pray for your families and yourselves,god bless
danilo,claribel,miquel,francis, francia,rosaria,lionel leonardo,patrick,pastaman,and so many more
mary/karen

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
9  Thank karen2195
Write a ReviewReviews (11,154)

Reviewed 2 August 2012

This was our first time to the Princess Bavaro and overall the stay was good Rooms clean, good food and the beach was amazing. The issue I had is that we were staying in the junior suites were the safes half a key. While we were out of our room , someone came in and opened the safe and took all our money. The hotel came and searched our belongings like I had the money. They told me that no one had another key(RIGHT). They said they would investigate but turned up nothing. I would not go back for this reason , plus the resort was to long.

Room Tip: Get a bungalow
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
8  Thank Chris R
Reviewed 2 August 2012

Disregard every bad review you have ever read about this resort and book it! It was my first time in punta cana and I loved every second of it!
here's a breakdown:

RESORT: The lobby is huge with bars scattered all around, and comfy sofas everywhere.The grounds have great landscape, very well taken care of, with lots of attention to detail.Beautiful tropical birds all around. A walk around the resort is a must to take in all the beauty of a tropical place. If you are not in the mood to walk, there's a tram that runs by every few minutes.

STAFF: Super friendly, always smiling and dancing around. You never have to wait for them to notice you to get your drink order. They were on the ball at all times. Most of the staff members speak either French or English, in addition to Spanish.

FOOD: Im not sure why people have complained about food at the BAVARO. I thought it was really good and Im a picky eater. There was a huge variety, plenty of food and the yummiest fruit.

ROOM: was absolutely great. Take the bungalow suite over the Junior suite. The price difference is not significant but the difference in the rooms is. When we initially got there we got a room with a bit of a musty smell, so we talked to Jhony at the front desk and he moved us to a better room, even closer to the beach, no questions asked. The rooms are pretty big, with a king size bed, flat screen tv, jacuzzi and couches, as well as a balcony. The mini bar is restocked with beer, soda and water daily. The rooms are also cleaned daily.

BEACH & POOL: The beach, oh the beach! Magnificent! Beautiful clear water, very cool no matter how hot it is. The pool is large, mostly filled with kids though. But, you wants to hang out at a pool when there is a beautiful beach right there.

EXCURSIONS: If you get the chance to take an excursion, GO TO SAONA ISLAND. It is the most beautiful place I have ever seen. Amazing boat ride there, beautiful beach, perfect!
We bought our excursion from KING OF THE BEACH, dont worry he'll find you! He gave us a great price and some great tips about the island.

have fun!

Room Tip: Bungalow suites that are closer to the beach
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
7  Thank mi j
Reviewed 2 August 2012

My wife and I spent our anniversary here in late July, I will warn you that the temperature is in the 90s and humidity is high. However this resort more than accommodated the heat. Since it was our anniversary I chose the Platinum suite which when you first arrive you may think, "hey all the suites are the same... so what is a platinum suite?". At first I was a little upset but then I realized what platinum meant. A platinum suite includes many benefits. Firstly you get a suite near the beach on what I would term is the quieter side of the resort. You also have a special lounge and check-in building which just makes the whole experience much more relaxing (no lines, no waiting - also an open bar in the lounge and Internet access - they also give you cigars upon arrival). The platinum bracelet which is two strands of leather with a wooden toggle with the word platinum written on it, essential affords you all the special treatment which all the hotel staff recognize.

The platinum suite I assume is the same as the other suites except maybe the jacuzzi tub just off to the side of the king size bed and the 40" LCD TV to the other side (you have to see pictures to understand the arrangement). The bar was constantly stocked and room service was included. The air conditioning was superb as was the large dual basin, tri-mirror bathroom with separate shower room. Could have used a dresser of some sort but the closet was large and had a safe inside as well.

Platinum guest also have a roped off section of beach in front of the platinum suites and the actually chaise lounges are significantly better that the rest of the resort with padded cushions... these were a real plus (there were newer versions of these that had excellent padding in them - look for these if you go). There was also a separate towel exchange and bar just for platinum guests by this reserved section of beach - again no lines, no waiting.

At the platinum lounge/check-in they recommended making reservations for dinner which I highly recommend. Although they accept walk-ups, you may have to wait if there are no tables, however if you have a reservation they seat you right away. In one instance they didn't have a table available because a large group had stayed longer than anticipated so they just picked up another table and set it for us... Nice! Food here was typical of the Dominican, good quality and quantity and tonnes of variety. Surprisingly, I liked their T-bone steaks and pasta the best. On the resort there are 8 separate restaurants including a fine dining one. Special note - this one requires gentlemen to wear long pants so bring along some long pants (I had to wear jeans... which was OK... strange).

Platinum also includes a 20 minute massage at their spa which was wonderful but if you are used to real therapeutic massage you may feel they are inexperienced... if you just want to loosen up your muscles after a workout it's great. They have an air conditioned workout room with weights in the spa.

The casino and disco is just outside the main gates and is a large room with half slots and the other half roulette and cards. The disco is a separate room just off to the right as you enter the casino, both are really nicely done, its an open bar again (part of the resort). The only drawback here is that you are allowed to smoke in the casino... if you go early 7:00pm opening, most smokers don't show up until later.

Although I didn't stay to watch any of their nightly shows, I was impressed that they rehearsed every day. After breakfast I would see the performers rehearsing their numbers on the stage and I felt it was great that they took their work so seriously.

Staff in general were welcoming, friendly, polite and efficient. I was most impressed with a young man who came to help us with our air conditioning unit. He explained how the thermostat worked and in checking had to step in the jacuzzi tub. Before he left he washed out the tub. I noticed that every staff member was concerned about cleanliness, I even saw someone scraping paint and re-painting a section of a balcony which I think other resorts would have just left untouched.

The reason why I didn't give this resort a five rating is because of some little things that I think they could improve.

1. The property is huge (which is part of the charm) but as a result you have to use their regular shuttles to go back and forth from the main lobby to the beach. The shuttles are gas powered and the exhaust is a pain. Recommendation #1 - consider electric shuttles.

2. More people should be fluent in english - although every staff member had manageable english I was hard pressed to find someone fluent so that I could explain more complex request... this may be the time of year because I found most guest were spanish speaking.

3. Restaurant air conditioning. There were 5 restaurants that were enclosed and supposedly air conditioned however the difference in temperature between the inside and outside was barely noticeable even in the fine dining one. Since there was high humidity it made some dining less comfortable than it could be. I would recommend they look at separating the cooking area more so that the cooling would be more effective in the dining area.

Overall this is an excellent resort, family friendly, couple friendly, great food and awesome staff. If you don't mind the shuttles (which we got used to pretty quick) you will love it here.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank peterfuj
Reviewed 2 August 2012

My room was robbed. After reporting this to the Hotel management they search my room, so I felt violated again.

Hotel management would NOT take me to the police station to file a report. If was not until I called my travel agent and she in turn called the hotel did they take me to the police station to file a report. (I had to pay for the taxi fare myself)

“I won’t go back and I will tell my friends...”

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
6  Thank Aggie S
Reviewed 1 August 2012

This vacation definitely had more ups than downs, but hopefully this will help upcoming travelers to this resort:

THE GOOD
---------------
1) Beaches - the first 5 days of this trip, the beaches were spectacular, excellent color, no rocks in sand or ocean, great temperature. Their was an overnight storm the 5th night which left the beaches full of seaweed on our last two days.
2) Grounds - they were very well maintained and beautiful.
3) Staff - they were friendly and helpful.
4) Rooms - they were nice rooms, but the sheets were a bit damp which is common for oceanfront rooms. I highly recommend leaving at least 2-3 dollars a day for the maid, they left the room very nice everyday with flowers and towel decorations. There was an issue that you can see in THE UGLY.
5) Bars - The bartenders were very good and the alcohol was decent.
6) Transportation - The resort is very large, so it is difficult to walk from the ocean to the front of the resort. They had shuttle running constantly that brought you around the resort. I never waiting longer than 6 minutes for the shuttle.

THE BAD
------------
The food for the most part was very bad. The Goucho had decent steaks, the main buffet had decent breakfasts, the Italian restaurant was average to slightly below that, but everything else was a complete disaster. How can a fish restaurant that is overlooking the ocean be serving fish that is not fresh? The Japanese restaurant was entertaining, but both the chicken and the steak was so overcooked, you could have made shoes out of it. I typically can eat subpar food, but this was really bad.

THE UGLY
--------------
Found 3 roaches in our room including one that went into the luggage. Needless to say, that put a damper on what otherwise was a nice room.

Room Tip: The rooms closest to the ocean have been renovated.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
6  Thank Andrew C
Reviewed 1 August 2012

Just getting there i knew it was not good very cold welcome i felt like i was going to war not a vacation they put us in the trolly wich smelled like diesel and was falling apart and took us to the check in area for platinum guests, everyone had an attitude they would talk to you like they are better then u meanwhile you staying there gives them job.they offered drugs on the beach, the water was not that great miami beach is cleaner, we were at the platinum area on the beach wich was suposed to be top shelf drinks but that was not true the bartender carlos was very cheap he waterd them down and only if u tiped him he would make them good, everyone there wanted tips tips tips even tho tips are included in the package, the rooms were outdated the ac was terrible i called to complain he says to me sir we are having a general problem with the air conditioning wich was never adressed for a week i was there , and remember we paied more money for this room it was suposebly platinum, i cant emagine what the standard rooms are like, the food was garbage the main buffe was horroble plates were old and not cleaned good the milk was expired and they kept giving you the same one for days, the staff sucked, the animation team were a bunch of amateurs, they did not know how to treat people, this was not 5 star resort, not a place to relax i feel money spent wasted, and probably all the good reviews you see here are fake none of it is true, trust me i have traveled alot and i have paied less in punta cana and got much better service then this, even the bartender carlos said the manager is bad there, this was my 3rd time in punta cana and it sure is my last, trust me people the best vacations are here in the us florida vegas ect. Next year im trying a cruise the oasis of the seas by royal carribean it looks 5 star all around american vacations are the way to go , bavaro princess is a bad resort, you will enjoy only if you dont care about your room and can deal with mold and bad smells and bad air conditioning, arrogant staff that will flirt wit your wife in front of you i almost punched one of the waiter in the face his name was ricardo , it was bad all around, do not go

• Stayed: July 2012