Bavaro Princess All Suites Resort, Spa & Casino
Excellence Punta Cana(Punta Cana)(Great Value!)
US$458
US$432
Excellence Resorts
US$639
Iberostar.com
Excellent 5/5
  • Breakfast included
Paradisus Punta Cana Resort(Punta Cana)(Great Value!)
US$375
US$287
  • Breakfast included
Zoetry Agua Punta Cana(Punta Cana)(Great Value!)
US$667
Hotels.com
Great 4.5/5
Paradisus Palma Real Golf & Spa Resort(Punta Cana)(Great Value!)
US$553
US$351
US$933
Bookit.com
Great 4.5/5
Royalton Punta Cana Resort & Casino(Punta Cana)(Great Value!)
US$801
US$610
  • Pool
The Reserve at Paradisus Punta Cana(Punta Cana)(Great Value!)
US$405
US$344
US$1,198
TripAdvisor
  • Breakfast included
Barcelo Bavaro Beach - Adults Only(Punta Cana)(Great Value!)
US$462
TripAdvisor
11,463 results
All reviewsplatinum loungebella pastaplatinum packagebungalow suiteplatinum beachplatinum sectionjustin bieberel pescadormain lobbylobby buffeta la carte restaurantsthe lion kinganimation teamseafooddominican republicsteakmake reservations
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 6 December 2013

The Bavaro Princess All Suites - Before we booked our trip, we read all the reviews and were very confused by the vast differences and experiences reported by travelers. Our friends had been here the year prior and were returning because they felt they didn't take full advantage of all the Bavaro Princess had to offer. We traveled the week of Nov 15th - 22nd and paid additional for the platinum upgrade, which was recommended by our friends. The value was worth the cost. We were able to receive both private check in/check out, platinum lounge with top shelf drinks, advanced reservations at any restaurant, private beach area with drink service, room service (free) and honor bar (free). I am sure there were other perks I left out but, the upgrade was worth it to me.
Platinum Check in/out - Once we arrived, there was a shuttle to take us from the main lobby area (up top) to our Platinum Area. Once there, we were greeted with a drink and checked in. Our suites were not ready because it was only 2 PM so they stored our luggage and we hit the beach within 45 minutes of arriving at the hotel.
Platinum Beach - We had our own area that was roped off, where vendors couldn't solicit and you could get some rest. The area was serviced by Carlos "Okay, Okay, Okay!". Carlos was a lot of fun and always kept our drinks flowing. We were a group of 13 so we kept him running.
Suites - We stayed in Suite 745, which was ground floor facing the beach. We were the last building before the dune. Our suite was really clean and well maintained. The veranda area was one of my favorite places. If I wasn't on the beach or at the pool you would find me in the lounge chair with a drink in my hand waving at the shuttle driving by. Our room attendant, Marcia, took great pride and care in our suite. She did a great job and was always respectful of our schedule and managed to clean when we were out. Make sure you tip them daily. We gave school supplies with some money every day. My wife really enjoyed leaving Marcia something.
Platinum Lounge - Every evening prior to our dinner reservations we would meet at the lounge. My wife and I were very fond of the Lounge Hostess, Anna. She was wonderful. After our first night, she always had our drinks ready. She kept the lounge in perfect order and really seemed to genuinely enjoy the guest. We would return just to see her. The desk agents were very helpful. If you have any questions just ask them. Francisco was our favorite. He is always smiling.
Restaurants - First of all, if you are seeking a culinary adventure, do not book an all inclusive resort. They are just not going to start with the quality ingredients your pallet is looking for. Save us all from having to read your picky foodie whine!
El Gaucho - We dined twice, it was ok. The steak is very thin. My wife, who is not a big eater, got the filet the first time and I had the strip steak. The second time, she ordered two filets while I had the ribs. The ribs fell of the bone and were good.
Italian "Bella Pasta" - We tried it on our second night. My wife liked it, I did not. Chicken Parmesan was not in breadcrumbs and not in parmesan cheese. It was grilled chicken and dry at that on pasta.
"Chopin" - Was an international buffet. This was great because there were a lot of food choices. The Italian pasta bar was really good. I would have gone there again
Oriental "Sakura"- Was okay but my wife didn't really care for it.
Japanese Restaurant (Teppanyaki) "Tanuki." - This was great and a lot of fun. They make the food in front of you.
Snack "McPrincess" was a grill by the beach. The burgers were good. They also have a buffet for lunch. We went there every day as a group for lunch. After the second day the servers would grab us and have a table for 13 ready.
Pool and Pool Bar - The pool area was really nice and the pool bar was fun. Bavaro Princess or CocoLoco were great poolside drinks. Cuba Libre was my drink of choice! Presidente with a lime was great too.
Other Guests - The nationality of guests were diverse. As Americans, we represented only about 1/10 of the nationalities vacationing here. I heard some complain about rude guests when it came to standing in lines but I didn't experience that at all. Everyone I interacted with was having a good time. The only issue I had was people sneaking down to the beach to secure the best spots with a towel then leaving and not coming back until late. Towels don't secure JACK so don't think they do. Want a good seat then go to the beach early.
In some reviews cited "the language barrier was a problem and they should learn English". Well, it is their country and I always try to show some respect by brushing up on my Spanish before I travel. The touch point employees all spoke English along with numerous other languages. Even the vendors on the beach were observed speaking five languages. This was a non issue.
Gracias especiales a:
Anna - Mi amor, Patrick y la chica saluda Hola
Carlos- Okay!

4  Thank PappyLeary
Management-BavaroP, Community Manager at Bavaro Princess All Suites Resort, Spa & Casino, responded to this reviewResponded 7 December 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for posting out your comments on TripAdvisor and giving such a nice feedback. We are really happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay at our hotel and are very much looking forward to welcome you back soon.

Warm regards from your Bavaro Princess family!

Visit Dates: 19th November - 3rd December 2013

This was my third trip to the Dominican Republic but my first to the Punta Cana area.

THE RESORT
Is beautiful and well maintained. There is a small army of guys out trimming, cutting, clearing and providing people with fresh coconuts every day. The roaming animals were also nice and included peacocks, geese, rabbits, ducks, cats and lots of wild birds including cranes and flamingos. There were also parrots, iguana's and turtles/terrapins to see as well. The resort is quite large, and the walk from the reception area to the beach is about 15 minutes, although there is a couple of little trams which you can jump on to get you around.

THE PEOPLE
Most of the customer serving staff in our experience were poor. Very few of them smiled and didn't really try an engage in any sort of friendly conversation. The only ones which were friendly were the guest services guys, but that was because they were trying to flog us stuff, if you actually wanted to find out some genuine information they looked disappointed and went back to being miserable (with the exceptions of the lady at the guest services desk and the German guest services lady we met on the last night down by the beach). As I had been to the Dominican Republic before I was fully expecting that outside the resort you'd get a lot of guys trying to give you the hard sell, but what I found totally unacceptable was that this happened in the resort. Whether it be sessions in the spar, memberships to clubs, trips, or on the so called Dominican market nights general rubbish jewellery, rum, cigars, etc. I did not spend £2500 and travel half way round the world to not be able to walk to the dinner hall without getting mobbed by guys with tales of woe about their families, and how I need to give them $50 for a piece of rubbish i'd get for nothing in a Christmas cracker. Outside the resort is fine and expected, but inside the resort is totally wrong.
Not all the staff were bad, I did find one nice barman, and the maids and groundstaff were friendly. But on average, the only smiles you got disappeared if you didn't get your wallet out.

THE BEACH
Is great in short. The usual issues with people reserving sun beds, but there were lots of them and we didn't have to many problems. The sales people on the beach were virtually non-existent, and the few that were around didn't hassle you at all (that came in the hotel afterwards).
Lovely clear water and clean sand..... really really good.

POOL
There were two pools, a smaller quieter one near the main building and the main pool down by the beach. We spent our pool time at the quieter one which was absolutely fine. The main pool also looked good, and looked good for families..... lot's of activities on.

THE FOOD
The buffet stuff was ok, nothing special, about what is expected from an all inclusive. The restaurants were ok as well, with the best probably being the Japanese one. There was no real restrictions either on how many times you went to them. I think we went just about every other night.

DRINKS AND BARS
Drinks were fine, about what you expect. The bars were poor. Not many traditional bars to choose from that were open in the evening. Waiter service for drinks also took ages, and service was slow behind them. Didn't get a comfortable feeling in any of them really which was such a shame, although we did notice that the rudeness of the staff seemed to rub off on many of the guests...... as the hoards of Russians and Canadians were generally loud and rude. Didn't meet many Americans or Germans and i think we were the only English in the hotel, this was a shame as I believe that would have lead to a friendly bar area, and somewhere where I would liked to have spent more time. Could do with a few more cocktails on the list as well..... although the Coco Loco was awesome.

THE ROOM
Couldn't fault it, absolutely brilliant. Kept really clean by the great maid staff. The largest bed I have ever been in. Jacuzzi in the room (and that was a standard room), everything you need. Excellent. The digital safe ran out of batteries half way through the second week which never really got sorted, as the miserable bloke who came to look at it didn't have a clue, and didn't speak any English so I could tell him what the problem was. Still..... that was only a very minor issue in an otherwise fantastic room.

So overall, Resort was beautiful, staff were miserable, the hard sell is just not on, the beach was great, the room was fantastic, the food and drink was ok, and the bar areas were poor.

Pleased I went, and did have a good holiday, but won't be going back to the Bavaro Princess.

Room Tip: Stayed in room 115, which as it happens was pretty central in the resort, so I can recommend.
3  Thank shrimper79

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review on TripAdvisor. We appreciate you taking the time to post your comments about Bavaro Princess. All reviews, either good or bad are taken in much consideration by our management.

Reviewed 6 December 2013

We stayed here one nite due to a Frontier Airlines flight cancellation from Punta Cana to Chicago (Nov 27) . We were transferred to this resort by Apple Vacations. After arrival and checking in, the front desk person seemed like they were not interested in helping us settle into a room we were comfortable with, even though it was only one nite. After several complaints about the moldy smell in the room and the toilet not working, we were moved to another room, same building, same moldy room, same toilet not working. We conceided to the fact that this was the best room we were going to be comped by Apple/Frontier. We went straight to the spa where we were treated absolutely fantastic by the staff, super 50 min. massage and facial. We then rode the little tram to the steakhouse and had a very good meal really, great service from the staff. The rooms in the 3000 block are old and worn and mildewed. We are seasoned vets to Punta Cana (17 trips) and felt this was the worst experience to the DR to date.

Room Tip: Do not get stuck in the 3000 block, rooms are small and look like they were built in the 1970's
1  Thank Weluvdr

Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting. We were disappointed to read about the negative experience you had while a guest in our hotel. Please accept our sincere apologies.

Reviewed 5 December 2013

We stated at this resort from 11/25/13-12/02/14 and overall had a great time!
The staff was very friendly and always greeted you with a smile. Most everyone spoke fair to decent English which was a huge positive for me since my Spanish is less than fair. The grounds are beautiful and meticulously maintained and there is always someone asking if you would like a fresh coconut, which my wife thought was Amazing! I did not get the name of the guy who takes care if the grounds near room 461 but he made her day by getting her a fresh coconut, and also saw us as we were leaving the room to check out and seemed genuinely sincere in saying goodby and thank you for choosing this resort. Another huge bonus to the grounds is that they are HUGE, we ran outside around the property everyday and never got bored with the view. It was awesome to be able to run outdoors instead of inside on a treadmill missing the beautiful weather. The beach is beautiful and it was never a problem getting chairs or towels. It also felt very safe to walk down the beach for at least a mile, there was a non-stop flow of people. They do a pretty good job keeping what I call the "Vultures" off the beach trying to sell you stuff and the ones that do come by are in what appears to be a uniform. (Matching polo shirts) and they won't really bother you. This was a huge improvement compared to the last resort I stayed at in Punta Cana. The pools are very nice and extremely well maintained, although I have to admit I did not spend much time by them since the beach was so nice. The drinks are good, basically what you would expect at any resort although I wish they served more than just Presidente beer. I do have to say that I did not do the platinum package and I really do not think it would have enhanced my stay at all.

Now here are the downsides, the room was beautiful and beautifully taken care of, however the mattress was the WORST I have ever slept on.for the first two nights the bed was horribly hard and I had springs jabbing me. They replaced the bed on the third day (no I did not ask for it) and I was really happy to see the new one come in. Then I slept on the new one, and was immediately disappointed, again horribly hard and my back hurt every day. Not to mention the pillows which are also terrible.
On to the food, to sum it up it SUCKS! The buffets do not look appealing and taste equally as bad as they look. The Habacci (I know that's misspelled), Chinese and Italian are very good. The fish place (I don't remember the name) and Goucho (meat restaurant) are horrible. There is also a bbq stand by the beach that's open until 6, the hot dogs are disgusting (I actually was served a raw hot dog) and the hamburgers are ok at best.

The other bad points are that the lobby, fish restaurant, Gaucho which is also a buffet during the day are ridiculously HOT! I could barely stand to go into the buffet for lunch because I would be soaked in sweat before walking out of there, that also makes me wonder how the food that needs to be kept cold actually stays cold. To answer that question, it doesn't.

My final criticism is that there is no wi-if anywhere except the lobby. It's a little annoying to have to go to the hot lobby to use the internet.

All in all we really did have a great time at the resort and really enjoyed the staff. I wish I could remember some of the names of the staff members who stood out because they really do deserve credit for their service specifically the bartender at the "Late night" buffet bar, he was awesome.

• Stayed: November 2013
1  Thank Memphis18

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your detailed feedback on TripAdvisor. It is with constructive and valuable feedback such as yours that we was a hotel and as a team can learn and improve.

Best regards,

Reviewed 4 December 2013

We go to Bavaro Princess usually about twice a year - early fall and late spring. These was our 20th visit going back to 2001. We have been to other places in the Dominican Republic that were more modern, and had some interesting amenities, but Bavaro Princess is always special. First of all, as you get to know the staff, they are just excellent. You will never see them without a smile on their face, and often singing while they work. No one ever sings while they work in the USA (except me). This trip we had a new Apple/Hotel concierge: Senor Freddie. He was assisted by Margarita, who also helps in customer service. We had been spoiled by Carlos Felix for many years, but Freddie stepped up to the plate and took good care of us. For those who remember Carlos, he has moved to Spain. As usual the waitstaff in all the restaurants were just great to us, although to be honest we have come to know them through the years and have built a bit of a relationship. What I find interesting is the number of people who go back there every year. On this trip we ran into a group from the Calgary area who we have run into three times now. Also a group from Maryland that we remember from last year. Also another group from the Seattle area.The guy in the suite close to us was there for three weeks, and they come every year also. It's just one big party, and everyone becomes family after a while. The system for restaurant reservations needs some work, people have to wait too long to be seated. And I still like my food a little more seasoned than I get there, but after a while, you adjust. As always we enjoyed Federico Ortiz and his band in the main lobby. I said it before, we love the band. There is a house DJ when the band stops, about 10:30pm although we did enjoy the house mix more last trip. Still, if you like to dance-that's the spot. The casino was really busy this trip-there was a Caribbean poker tournament. My wife won a few bucks, but not enough to pay for our next trip. Our rooms are always nice, and a special shout out to our maid, Angela. All in all, if you let your hair down just a little, and realize you really are on vacation in a foreign country, and just chill out - you can really have a lot of fun here. We'll be back next year, and we miss the place already. Non stop flight out of Philly and on the beach by 4PM! Thanks again for a great time.

Note: the shuttle to the casino was a little different this trip. I do not know if was because of the tournament, but getting the ride back (about a few hundred yards) to the lobby was difficult. Also, the restaurant at Chopin in the middle of the resort, is open for late nite snacks at midnight. This service used to be in a different restaurant. Local golf courses are available-I was told the cost with rented clubs is about $200 for a round. They pick you up in the am. Don't forget to haggle with the vendors!

3  Thank Wayne P

Dear Guest,

We are most pleased to learn that you have had another great stay with us. Thank you for your loyalty. Your comments regarding our staff are highly appreciated because it motivates us to continue to welcome our guests better.

We look forward to welcoming you again very soon!