“Platinum? More like Fools gold....”

Bavaro Princess All Suites Resort, Spa & Casino
Ranked #37 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
GreenLeadersSilver level
“Platinum? More like Fools gold....”
Reviewed 24 June 2014

First off, let me start off by saying my favorite part of my stay was dealing with Julian & Julio (bartenders next to the McPrincess) and James Bond, Oresto, Juan Carlos & Andra (Entertainment staff) and the beach! They were excellent! Always kept a smile on their faces, very attentive and the entertainment staff was always getting guests to participate in various activities. I can say nothing bad about those specific individuals... They were AWESOME! Now to the particulars...

We had originally booked to stay at the Princess All Suites (Adult Only) Resort. Upon our arrival, we were informed we had been "upgraded" to platinum at the Bavaro Princess (where we ended up staying). The upgrades sounded nice... private check-in, free Wi-Fi, platinum lounge, private area on beach, free 20 min massage (**apparently you have to be there for 4 nights to enjoy that perk). But everything that glitters isn't gold! We assumed they "upgraded" us because they overbooked at the other resort. For it to be an upgrade, I was not even impressed. There was nothing special about platinum...except we had Wi-Fi in the lounge (not even in the rooms) and we were a close walk to the beach. We never even used the "platinum" section on the beach because it wasn't that private...it was just roped off. There was no separate transportation from the rest of the resort, so we had to ride the tram to anywhere on the resort with everyone else and had to stop at each stop. Not that big of a deal though. When we got to our room, it was so hot.. the AC wasn't working. We left to go to the beach (after complaining) and it was still not working. There were 3 of us in the room...but we did not have enough towels. It took at least 5 hours to bring extra towels. I was not impressed with the food at the grill, buffet or restaurants. It was bland, not very many tasty options or variety. I would have loved to have the option to eat Latin food (the day they had the Dominican Buffet, we were leaving, so we missed out)...but you would think that they would have a restaurant or grill area that served Latin food on a daily basis.

The room was nice and very clean - kudos to housekeeping! The bed was comfortable as well. I'm sure I could go on, but to sum it up... the only reason I would go back to that resort is to visit Julian, Julio, Juan Carlos, James Bond, Oresto and Andra!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Christina M
PrincessHotelsRD, General Manager at Bavaro Princess All Suites Resort, Spa & Casino, responded to this review, 26 June 2014
Dear Christina M,

Thank you for taking part of your time to share your recent experience at Bávaro Princess.

It is a pleasure to read that our staff was able to make you feel well cared. At the same time apologize if platinum section did not impress you on your first visit. We are happy you liked your room and specially the attention of our personnel. We would take on your suggestions to helpfully satisfy all our guests and would make sure to pass on your greetings.

It would be a pleasure to welcome you back.

Bávaro Princess All Suites Resort Spa & Casino

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,907)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Barrie, Canada
Reviewed 23 June 2014

We stayed at this resort from June 14 - 21. This was the first time we stayed at this resort and we weren't impressed. First off, the resort itself was beautifully kept. The grounds were well maintained and the beach was amazing! Housekeeping also did an amazing job. We stayed in the "Platinum section".

Food: very repetitive and bland. No variety at all. The only good night was Mexican theme

Platinum section: Not worth the upgrade!!!!! The only benefit was these suites were the closest to the beach. There's no wifi in the rooms. Other than that all of the benefits don't seem worth it. Like what did I pay extra for???The reception in the platinum lobby was horrible. Two bald guys that almost look like twins were not friendly or receptive. Not even "hola" or "hello". No smiles or anything. It was just an uncomfortable feeling. I thought it was just us but when I spoke with other guests they said the same thing. I asked them for some matches and they said someone will put them in your room. Next day still no matches and I went back to them and he goes in his drawer and hands me a pack. I thought to myself "Why couldn't he have given them to me yesterday when he was standing in front of that same drawer?"
These guys should not be representing any type of "platinum service". Maybe they should work in a back room or kitchen so they don't have to deal directly with the public.

I've stayed at 6 other hotels in DR with the upgraded services similar to "platinum section" and this was by far the worst. I stayed at the Royal Suites Turquesa which was a fantastic upgrade. At least they had golf carts that picked us up instead of riding their tram service since we paid more. Everyone was cramped onto these trams which weren't running as frequently as they should in the heat.

There was nothing that made me say Im glad I upgraded

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Shani_297
PrincessHotelsRD, General Manager at Bavaro Princess All Suites Resort, Spa & Casino, responded to this review, 27 June 2014
Dear Shani_297,

Thank you for taking part of your time to share your recent experience at Bávaro Princess and for all the nice words about our grounds and housekeepers. At the same time, we want to apologize if on your first time with us, we were not able to exceed your expectation regarding the variety of foods, even when we count with a total of 9 different restaurants providing different national and international cuisine, it is comforting knowing you enjoyed our Mexican orientation.

We regret if our platinum reception was not to your satisfaction but we do value your feedback and will take on your advise. Hopefully we can welcome you back and have some improvements.

Motherwell, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 June 2014

We had a lovely time at the Bavaro Princess hotel. All the staff were very pleasant and helpful. The beach was to die for, we had no bother getting sunbeds and a shade on the beach so maybe this wasn't high season and not so busy. Didn't like the entertainment much as it was a bit loud, or maybe I am just getting old!.. Most of it was in Spanish as the bulk of the guests were Spanish speaking, We enjoyed the food and tried all the a la carte restaurants. Our room was lovely too with great Ac although the lobby and buffet restaurants were warm with just ceiling fans, The humidity was high but you cant blame hotel for that.! Our tips were supposed to be included, but staff still expected one, That's the American culture, so take plenty dollars, we took dominican pesos but everything priced in dollars, yes I would recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: I had room 102 and could walk to beach and pool from there. It was Quiet at night so no problem wit...
1 Thank sandra m
Dear sandra m,

Thank you for your review of your recent stay at Bávaro Princess and for all the compliments about the service and the value you received while staying with us.

It is very ennobling to us to read you enjoyed our your holidays and we were able to meet your expectations. We are really proud you would recommend us and hope to have to pleasure to serve you once again when you come back to Dominican Republic.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 June 2014

Me, my mother and my friend went to this resort last year in August (2013). It was one of the best holidays that I have ever had. The resort was absolutely gobsmacking, I had never seen anything like it before. And I remember that when me and my friend were brought to our room via the shuttle thing we honestly looked at each other so as to communicate "I think they've got our room wrong". Seriously the rooms were that good.

The grounds are gorgeous and you just feel as if you're in paradise. We had a room near to the Chopin restaurant (which is open til 5am or something ridiculous) Also, just to elaborate, the Chopin restaurant although does not offer the best quality of food at 4 in the morning, it offers more than enough. All I could possibly ask for at 4am is some fried chicken and cheese chips. What more would you want?

Anyway, our room was quite a walk away from the lobby where we went to get breakfast every morning. But there are rooms near the lobby. The walk was almost pleasant and you got to see the peacocks etc wandering around. When we were feeling lazy we would hop onto the shuttle thing that is very regular in my opinion.

I CAN'T STRESS ENOUGH HOW AMAZING THIS RESORT IS - PLEASE GO! We did not stay platinum or whatever the upgrade thing was called, we had a hot tub, perfect shower with good pressure, lovely bathroom, comfy bed that felt like a cloud, tv, 2 free beers put in our fridge everyday along with coke etc, a sofa. And our own little cute balcony that me and my friend would sit on after getting out the shower. (sorry for the bad grammar - I'm in a rush).

The McPrincess thing was amazing too - a snack bar thing where you could get hot dogs, burgers and chips that tasted fab. With a bar of alcoholic drinks etc right next to it. That is one thing you can never be short of by the way, what with the swim up pool bar too. That was where you met quite a few people - the pool in the day and the lobby bar at night.

The entertainment is pretty good, nothing extraordinary. There's a karaoke night which is embarrassing for all that take part, unless you're actually a decent singer. But that was not the case for most...

The beach! How could I forget. The beach is gorgeous, spacious and shared by other hotels, but you get a good section of it! You won't be short for space. The sea looked gorgeous and turquoise, but unfortunately the sea was very blurry underwater, i.e it was not transparent and clear which is one of the only slightly minor bad things I can say about this holiday at all.

There is wifi available at the hotel but at a costly price, one of our friends got it and it seemed to work fine, but I was able to contact home via the cafe del mar which is on the beach. You have to pay for the drinks there but I never did, I just sat on the chairs and used the wifi (for face time etc) whilst eating my burger and chips.

No one in my party got ill on our trip, and it also seemed as if that no one else staying got ill (we knew quite a few guests). We avoided the salad until the last few days as a precautionary, but we ate some and we were absolutely fine the whole time.

Also, I would also just like to give a big thank you to Eddy or Eddie in the lobby reception (I'm not sure how to spell it). You were amazing and hilarious, thanks.

And as for all the terrible reviews that I've read on here, what the heck are you talking about?! I'm almost certain that they all went to different hotels, or are just trying to sabotage this resort for some odd reason. I saw one woman's review in which she explained that she had 'accidentally' booked a room for 1 whilst she was on her honeymoon with her husband, she was complaining that the hotel were going to charge her more for her husband to stay. YOU PAY PER PERSON YOU MORON. People honestly aggravate me. I also saw that someone said that their tv wasn't working which was unacceptable. YOU'RE IN THE DOMINICAN REPUBLIC GO AND ENJOY YOUR HOLIDAY.

Ok, rant over. Basically just go to this resort - you will have the best time and meet so many people it's ridiculous.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
7 Thank Dominique G
PrincessHotelsRD, General Manager at Bavaro Princess All Suites Resort, Spa & Casino, responded to this review, 25 June 2014
Dear Dominique G,

Please receive most cordial greetings on behalf of the Bávaro Princess. We really appreciate your review and thank you for sharing your recent experience in our Hotel.

Also, we would like to thank you for all these compliments regarding the staff, and the food. Indeed we thank you for recommending us and are glad you enjoyed the hotel in general as well as the service, entertainment and specially the karaoke. We are very pleased reading all the positive comments and feel very inspired by these words.

We, at Bávaro Princess certainly hope to have the pleasure to receive you once again on your next trip to Dominican Republic.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed 21 June 2014

Did not see this site before my trip, the bad reviews of this resort are all correct. Service is non existent, you are only allowed one entree, appetizer and such during meals although I thought this was an all-inclusive. The food is not so good, meat is full of fat and under-cooked. The other meals were average at best. Had an issue with our room and told them on the first day as well as every day for the next 5 days where they told us every day they were sending someone. On day 5 in the evening a maintenance person finally came to the room where he told us this was the first time he was informed about this. Incompetent staff and service. Late night food was just left over food from the day and snack bar. I am in the process of having my bank get the money back for our visit due to the fact that the service and amenities offered in the hotel description were not close to what they offered. Do not go, do not upgrade to the premium service, just pick a different hotel. To top it off upon leaving, I carried my bags to the shuttle to leave and the bell hop stood by me waiting for a tip... really useless staff.

Room Tip: Rooms at another hotel are better.
4 Thank karenahangar
Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, Canada
Reviewed 20 June 2014

I have been to this resort about 10 times, and I plan on going to celebrate my 40th Birthday! This place is amazing! The rooms are perfect, because you will not be spending a lot of time in them! It is right on the beach, the pools are fun, the entertainment can really use some work, but I do not go there for that anymore, it is just not that great anymore. I go to enjoy the weather, the people, beach, and just relaxing, I have no complaints, I do not look for reasons to complain, I spend a lot of money to go there, I do not have time to have a bad time. I can not wait to return in October 2014!!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Tracey B
Dear Tracey B,

On behalf of the entire staff of this resort we would like to thank you first of, for your loyalty to Bavaro Princess as your destination for vacations and we also want to thank you for your review of your recent stay at Bavaro Princess.

We really appreciate your positive feedback which leads to one thing, we are working towards providing excellent customer services to go beyond our guest's expectations. It is a gratifying feeling that once again, we were able to please you and create those nice memories.

We truly love the fact that you are already planning on coming back and it will be our pleasure to take care of you and make sure you have a nice time to party and relax.

Laurel, Maryland
Reviewed 18 June 2014

Bavaro Princess Spa & Resort Review
My husband and me stayed at this beautiful spa and resort for 7 nights and we had the most relaxing and enjoyable time with each other.
Arriving at the D.R. Airport – pack your patience getting through the process and maneuvering the long lines and being told to stand where there is no inspector to allow you to enter the country (NOT). Smh, PACK YOUR PATIENCE for sure.
Arriving at the Bavaro Princess Spa & Resort
The Porter met us at the curb asked our names and if we were staying at the Platinum Suites, we said yes and was pointed to the awaiting trolley while the other porter stacked our luggage on the trolley and whisked off to the Platinum Suites side of the resort. We arrived at the Platinum Suite lobby where we meet our concierge for the week (Juan). Our luggage was dropped off at our suite which was not far from the beach or the lobby. Also, you can return to the lobby to connect to wi-fi. They had a small setup station of sandwiches, yogurt, fruits, and drinks (includes alcoholic beverages) for you to enjoy while watching tv. Juan checked us in gave us an overview of what we were going to enjoy during our weeks stay.
Access to all the Bavaro Resorts pools (catch the trolley/tram)
Free Massage on the beach
24 hour Room Service (EXCELLENT some days 40 minute wait time)
Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner at the Main Lobby (buffet style)
Lunch and Dinner at all the restaurant (some required reservations)
Brunch, Lunch, and Drinks on the Beach (Mc Princess and Chiringo II)
Weekly Activities at the pool (Entertainment Staff)
Nightly entertainment – (Musicals, Live Bands, Casino/Disco
Excursions (work with your concierge or book them at the main lobby)
Wrist Bands indicating we were staying at the Platinum Suites

We were in awe when we walked into our suite because we did not expect the beautiful lay out of this romantic suite. This suite had everything you need (refrigerator stocked with beer, soda, water and robe, for keeps slippers and beach bag, sitting area, dinette set) to enjoy a romantic evening or to relax for the day. The bed and pillows were comfortable to get a good night’s sleep. This suite is made for couples to wine, dine and sex each other up. 
Our housekeeper was amazing, she keep our suite cleaned. The floors were mopped, extra towels in the bathroom, areas wiped down and the bed turned down with a beautiful design each day.
The food in the main lobby was excellent; however, make sure whatever you choose to eat it is thoroughly cooked, if not, the chef will gladly cook the food to your liking. For breakfast I had Omelets from the grill, pancakes and french toast were readily made for your convenience; in addition, you can ask if they can cook your pancakes or French toast. My husband had a little bit of everything which some enjoyed and others foods he did not (fried chicken was not good). I tried all the fruit but I enjoyed the pineapples the most. For dinner they featured a different ethnic dinner each night (American Italian, Mexican).
The food at the El Gaucho Steakhouse was excellent again make sure it is cooked thoroughly.
Anytime your food is not cooked to your liking do not get an attitude get a fresh plate of food and ask any of the chefs to cook your food thoroughly. These people were so accommodating to us it was unbelievable and great at the same time.
All the bartenders VERY accommodating.
Resort Grounds
The grounds are beautiful with peacocks, ducks, flamingos, parrots, chickens walking about.
Staff
The entire staff was very accommodating even if it wasn’t in their area expertise always pointed us in the direction and to the right person. They were friendly and kind.
My husband and I will be returning to the Bavaro Princess Spa and Resort in the future.

Room Tip: Spend the money for the platinum suites and choose a corner suite.
2 Thank Kim C
Dear Kim C,

On behalf of the Bavaro Princess staff, we would like to thank you for choosing us as your destination for vacations and feel very appreciated you really liked our staff and services.

We want to thank you for your beautiful comments on the spa, employees, room service, excursions, housekeeper, food, grounds, etc. We are so proud you enjoyed your stay and already planning on coming back. Bavaro Princess is commited to satisfying every guest and it is a pleasure for us to make sure you feel at ease in a peaceful and exotic environment.

We would be willing to receive you next time you come to vacation.