“The Best Trip ever” 5 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersSilver level
Waubaushene ON
“The Best Trip ever”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2010

This hotel should be rated 5 star as our rooms were amazing service was great food was excellent and the people were extremely friendly at all times. 6 of us went and it was the best 7 days eat drink and be happy and if your looking for 5 star quality at a 4 star price this is your resort...

• 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,796)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
toronto
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 November 2010

Just back from the Bavaro Princess (October 25-November 1) for the second time this year. Please feel free to message me for more details.

My best friend and I travelled to the Bavaro Princess for one week, and we stayed in the Platinum section of the hotel (building 78). We were steps from the beach and from the Platinum lounge, which was pleasantly convenient. Keep in mind, this is a huge resort with newly renovated rooms. The rooms towards the front of the resort are currently being renovated so be patient. Our room had just been renovated within the last month and though we were missing some extras (electronic safe, chest of drawers and padded lounge chairs on the patio), this wasn't a sore spot on our trip. We made do with what we had and we were happy.

Cleanliness - We had three visits each day from housekeeping. In the morning for a complete clean through. In the evening for turn down service and then again at night (around 9pm) for fresh towels. Our maids always left us beautiful towel sculptures with flowers throughout the room and bath. And there was never any sand present on our floors, they did a great job of cleaning. Yes, we left gifts (candles, perfumed body lotion, candy, souvenirs) but we never left any monetary gifts until our last night. We were well-looked after, and never felt that our belongings were rifled through at any time.

Room - You can book a renovated room without going Platinum. The advantages of Platinum are that you get express check-in and check-out, free internet (30 minutes per day but no one was counting), exclusive use of the Platinum lounge with drinks, food and comfy seating with a flat screen TV.). You also have use of the Platinum section on the beach, which if you're one for relaxing on the beach, then the comfy beds they have available is sure worth it! There is also the Platinum beach bar, small but sufficient where you can get drinks and change your towel (instead of taking the walk to the main pool and beach bar). Another perk of Platinum is that our dinner at the gourmet restaurant, Licey, was included, as well as a 20 minute massage at the spa. It is definitely worth the extra, but booking a renovated room would suffice.

Beach - Breathtaking! The beach was always clean, busy but enjoyable. We never had a problem with obtaining a beach chair in the Platinum or regular sections. The waves this time of year are pretty strong with a strong undercurrent so not ideal for young or inexperienced swimmers. I was here in February with young children, the beach was much more child friendly then.

Food - I am pretty fussy about food, with some allergies and food restrictions. I always had something to eat, usually rice with fish or chicken. And there was always veggies and fresh fruit. I didn't go hungry. Keep in mind, this is not going to be 5 star food quality according to Canadian standards. They do their best to satisfy everyone. We mostly ate breakfast at the main buffet, La Hispaniola and lunch was usually at the beach buffet. We also tried some of the a la carte restaurants. The seafood (La Pescador) and the Argentinean Steakhouse (La Gaucho) were very good. The other pro about Platinum is that you can book all of your a la cartes at one time at the lounge. Otherwise you'll find yourself waking up at 7am each morning to try and score a reservation for that night or the next.

Service - I cannot speak more highly of the service we received. All the staff were friendly, and some went out of their way to ensure that we were satisfied throughout our stay. We rarely tipped with money. I gave out souvenirs instead to all staff (pencils, pens, candy etc.) and they seemed quite content with this. One night we forgot our key and had no problem obtaining a new one (without extra cost) at the front desk. Of course a few days later it didn't work, but the maid let me into our room so this was not an issue for us. Yes, English speaking staff is a rarity at this hotel, but you're in a Spanish speaking country. Show a little bit of interest and learn a bit of Spanish. I found that sharing in their culture made them welcome us a bit more easily. Or just walk with a Spanish-English dictionary. Also, the staff are all expected to complete English, French and Russian classes so be easy on them. While they have to learn 3 other languages, we should take pride in learning just one other. The other thing to note is that many of the workers work strenuous hours (12-15 hours days, 9 or 10 days in a row) and they also have families to support. They make very little and don't have much, but they are happy. Of course you may come across the lonely staff who despises their job but just turn your shoulder because you'll most likely find 10 others more than willing to smile with you.

I guess if you want to know more, please feel free to message me. I am already planning my third trip to the Bavaro Princess for March.

Animation Team - They were ever present but we didn't socialize with them too much until the last night on Halloween. They do spectacular shows and work really hard at rehearsing. If you have a chance to check out their Lion King Production, don't miss it - you will be pleasantly surprised! They did a montage of Halloween themes (well sort of) songs including a montage from Phantom of the Opera and Thriller - just amazing!

Weather - While we were there, it rained a few times, but never for hours at a time. Usually at night when we were dressing for dinner or just after. There weren't many bugs bothering my friend but I definitely got my fair share of mosquito bites. Then again, I never used repellent so, my fault.

We did venture off the resort a few times. Once was to this amazing club in a cave called Imagine. I believe that it's a $16-17 US ride. It's completely safe, as there are about 80% foreigners who frequent the club. We also visited the public beach which was nice because it was surprisingly not busy. If you want to go shopping, venture away from the shops at the front of the resort. Just a short walk away you'll find a hidden gem of a market where you're sure to find some good deals.

If you want to know more, please feel free to message me. I am already planning my next trip to the Bavaro Princess in March.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with friends
2 Thank deeberz
Quebec City, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 November 2010

I was surprised by all the Resort, specially by the service. The employees were very sympathetic no matter the fact they earn only 300$/month and they work all day long for "rich people". If you go there with a package, there is something good that you can do for those who work on the resort. You're allow to drink everything you want for free...so, what we did, we took some beers or water for them..you know.. they work hard everyday for no much money... don't give them cash .. just something to drink etc... Anyways, you can do it if you want... but you'll probably have a lots of "friends"... and they will do everything for you for $...

The room was so nice !! There was a mix of african and greece style. However, I strongly suggest you to verify your room specially your bed in term to check if there are some bedbugs...........Becarefull with that because you can bring them back to your home and contaminate all your house...

The food was very good. There were a lot of varieties every day (buffet). One day might be french food... the other would be mexican, etc. You're allow to eat in 7 different restaurants ( Chinese, Sea-food, french, japanese, international, italian and Buffet ) for free but don't forget to reserve and for all men, bring long pants...you're not allow to wear shorts... women is ok ...no problem with skirt..shorts..etc.....

The beach was SO beautiful ... God! The sand was extremely white... so silky... Don't forget your sunscreen!! You can buy some at the Lobbey... but it will cost you 25$.....

You can do a lot of activity... personally, I don't really appreciate the one calls "Sunny Day"... nothing very special .. we just floating near to the beach.... the snorkeling was so so... there weren't many fishes because the ocean was too turbulent... anyways! is opt to you, but for that, it costs 89$/person..... it didn't worth it....

Generally speaking, A-1 for this Resort!! I strongly recommend this to everyone who wants to take good time...relaxing ... forgetting temporally their routine :)

St.catharines, on.
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 November 2010

Just got back from a one week stay at the Bavaro Princess. The grounds were lovely, staff very accommodating but found the resort just way too big. We have stayed at many resorts in Punta Cana and would not classify this as a 5* at all. Maybe 4. It was good value for what we paid. Trying to get a reservation in the restaurants was almost impossible. Great place for families but if you like to relax without kids screaming etc. not the place to go. Beach was beautiful as usual. Would I go back.......NOT, but did enjoy getting away. By the way, wine was horrible, and if you like premium liquor, they do have it but not displayed, you have to ask for it specifically, like Stoli vodka instead of their crappy stuff, as well as their Brugal rum, otherwise you won't be served it.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
wisconsin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 November 2010

We were at the Bavaro Princess Oct 2010 We really enjoyed our stay. I am going to break my review into sections.

Check In: Was next to one of the fastest check in’s that we have had. We had the key to our room in less than 5 minutes. Our luggage arrived to our room within a 20 minutes.
Room: We were upgraded to the Platinum Suite room. It was very spacious for two people. Items in room: Digital Safe, Mini Fridge with soda, water, beer..Coffee Maker, coffee, tea. Couch, Chair, Coffee Table a stand for your luggage and underneath the stand was drawers for clothing, table with two chairs, deck also had a table and two chairs not the plastic ones. We had a king size bed, flat screen TV, Jacuzzi/Whirlpool, two sinks (outside of the bathroom), closet with ironing board, iron, umbrella, slack and shirt hangers. Extra pillows and there were shelves for storing items. Bathroom had a ¾ door on it, our floor did not get wet. Hair dryer, magnified mirror, hand soap, shampoo, lotion, razor. We did not have the bathrobe/slippers/telephone. We did get the complimentary fruit plate delivered to our room the first night. Did not get extra coffee or beer requested.

Beach: The most beautiful beaches, white sand and you can walk for miles. You are not crowded on the beaches. This particular hotel did not have workers working the beach constantly pick up trash left behind by tourists like some of the other hotels I had been to in the past. Good thing we had a good clean group of people that week that cleaned up after themselves. You did not have to get up until 8:00 to save a Palapa on the beach. There was always room around the pool.

Beach Bars: Great service. Tipping and being nice goes a long way. Can only get top shelf liquor if you did the premium package.

Disco/Casino: The disco and casino are connected. The disco does not open until midnight. Techno is the choice of music played, drinks are included. The casino will pay you what you won in whatever currency you are using, Canadian, USA etc.. You will not receive any change back. It is rounded down.

Beach Snack Bar: The Mc Princess on the beach offered drinks, hot dogs, hamburgers and fries: They also had a buffet on the beach with fruits, cheese, pizza, chicken, salads etc.
Buffet: The buffet itself is pretty typical with the fruit, cheeses, meats. Chicken, Lamb, Pork. There is always something to eat. It was not one of my favorites, but I always managed to fill my plate and go back for seconds. You will not starve. The gentleman that did the eggs did a wonderful job. You can also get cereal in a box (you might have to ask for it, not always available). The setting in the buffet was pretty with all of the plants and water with turtles in the middle of the room. Drink service was a little slow. We tipped and it did not seem to make a difference.
Specialty Dinners: We only went to one the Chopin Restaurant. We got in and out quickly. There is water around the open air restaurant and they have a boat come by with a piano/player and a gal singing. They also had a couple from the animation team come in and entertain us with a dance routine.

Other: We timed our walk from our room which was by the beach to the buffet and it took 8 minutes (I was wearing heels). The tram comes by pretty regular. But it is so nice out and with all of the food and drinks all week…walking will not kill you.
They had bottled water at all of the bars including the beach.

Shopping: There is shopping right outside of the hotel and Steve’s bar is next to it. Maybe a 5 minute walks to the bar. There are vendors at the hotel two of the nights in the common area of the hotel by the buffet and lobby. Of course for the convenience it costs a little more. On the beach offer the vendors 75% less than the asking price. We got some really good deals on the beach. We have been to the Dominican 8 times and we pretty much know what a good deal is. There was more peddlers on the beach than previous times to the Dominican.

Excursions: We did the parasailing, two people. It cost $25.00/pp. You could also have someone ride on the boat for an extra fee to take photos. They also offered a photo with a frame. Our friends did the ATV’s and they had a lot of fun. It had previously rained so they had tons of mud puddles to run through. They did end up throwing their clothes out. We both got our excursions from the guys selling them on the beach.

Activities/Entertainment: There were plenty of activities going on. Volleyball, darts, bocce, ping pong, dance lessons, exercise classes, soccer etc. At night there was always a show by the lobby as well as a band and dancing afterwards. The shows were not the best we have seen but they were still entertaining.

Toronto
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 November 2010

I just got back from attending a wedding at the Bavaro Princess in Punta Cana. I rushed straight to Trip Advisor when I got back, because I think there's a lot of misinformation on here about this resort.
Punta Cana is beautiful and if you're looking to relax, unwind, eat and sleep... this is the perfect place. Everybody is very laid back and easy going. Keep that in mind when you're visiting.
On arrival at the airport, expect to pay $10 for a "visitor's card"... this was a surprise for me, so I thought I'd share with others.
The resort is HUGE. Our rooms were located in the "3" section which are the "Junior Suites" and in my opinion the best value for your money compared to any resort out there. It is close to the lobby bar, buffet and quiet swimming pool. My room was on the second floor. I felt like I was in my loft at home. The ceilings are so high, the room is so spacious, the balcony has a great garden view, the bed is huge, the bathrooms are updated, the living room area is big and fits guests easily, the TVs have amazing picture quality... I mean, I can go on and on. I was so impressed by the Junior Suites.
The food is very good. Don't miss the "Argentian Steak" at El Gaucho. And Mexican night at the buffet offers a tasty fajita. Yummy.
The beach... well, what can I say.. BEAUTIFUL. There are plenty of loungers and the water is warm and inviting.
We tried the ATV excursion which was a lot of fun... we booked with Tony... look for the guy with the beard... you'll know who I'm talking about when you see him. The last stop of the ATV tour is Macao Beach, which is amazing. Try asking the tour guide to spend the most time there. The waves are so much fun.
The service at the resort is a bit slow at times, and sometimes you have to ask for something twice... but everyone is so friendly and they don't hound you for money like they do in other countries. The Dominicans are friendly and classy people. They take pride in their heritage and country.
I would recommend this place for a group or a couple. I wouldn't want to go alone because the place is so big... and it can be awkward trying to talk to new people and then never find them again.
The club, Lancelot, at the casino is .... interesting. We went a few nights and had some good laughs.
Don't forget to save $20 US for your flight out of DR.
All in all, I had an amazing trip to Punta Cana. Thanks to all the staff at Bavaro Princess for looking after me. Hopefully I'll see you again!

• Stayed October 2010
1 Thank Meeshti
Meaford, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 November 2010

Just returned from a golf trip with friend, and stayed at the Bavaro Princess. This is my seventh trip to the DR, and I have enjoyed them all.
The weather was great although hot this time of year. ( We usually go in Jan) The food was satisfactory, and the staff were very friendly.
The lobby bar is dingy and airless. Not a pleasant place to be.

My only real complaint was the 14 room keys I went through. They would work possibly twice and then fail. It was very annoying and frustrating. I could not convince anyone that it would make more sense to FIX THE DOOR LOCK rather than reissue keys. My room was a long distance from the lobby and this caused a real inconvenience. No guest should be subjected to this. They never did fix the problem, so I guess the next guest will go through the same thing.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with friends