“Always Fun - Catch the Band”

Bavaro Princess All Suites Resort, Spa & Casino
Ranked #36 of 111 Hotels in Punta Cana
GreenLeadersSilver level
“Always Fun - Catch the Band”
Reviewed 19 November 2010

We have been to Bavaro Princess many times going back to 2001. The first time there my wife and I both got sick, and we swore we would never go back. But the people were so friendly, and the resort so beautiful, we tried it again in 2003. Since then we have gone there at least once a year. The front desk had us checked in and loaded up with mojitoes and mamajuana drinks in no time, and we were in our newly renovated rooms and ready for the beach. We have made many friends among the waitstaff so service was excellent the entire stay. We missed our favorite pool bartender Reuben, apparantly he moved to Spain, but the party always continues at Bavaro Princess.
As for the food, the buffett is always ample. It decidely is not seasoned like we are used to in the States. I would say in general it can be a bit bland, and of course be careful of milk or majonaise based products in warm weather. I love my omlettes and fresh fruit in the morning. Lunch is repetitous, but it's a buffett - so get over it! We went to 4 of the dinner restaurants. El Gaucho was OK, but steak is a little tougher in the DR then we are used to. El Pescador is a sea food restaurant. We felt the Carribbean lobster was a little overdone, as was the shrimp in garlic sauce appitizer. The Japanese style hibachi was fun as usual, and our best dinner this week was at Bella Pasta.
One of the best components of Bavaro Princess is the band and the house music. The orchestra leader is Federick Ortiz, and the band plays a mix of jazz standards and some Latin music in the court yard near the lobby during dinner time most nights. After the 9PM shows they play a great mix of salsa, marengue, and tango up to about 11PM, then the house DJ takes over with a great Latino mix. If you like to dance, go there. If you like to watch people, go there!! On Sunday nights the Beach Party is also a great dance party, and the band plays in the court yard at the same time. Monday night this week featured just the band with no other show. It was great. After the band and dancing we love the Princess Casino. Try the three card poker. Transportation back to your room via a golf cart can be had regardless of hour. All in all, we have stayed at nicer places, newer places, and ate better food. And we have been bored to death. We have never had more fun than Bavaro Princess. keep and open mind, brings lots of one dollar bills - let your hair down a little. we miss the place already.

Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,852)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
Reviewed 19 November 2010

I have been to Punta Cana for the last four years and have stayed at the Sol Melia, Melia Caribe, which is completely over the top in every aspect when paying for Royal Serivce. Bavaro Princess cannot even compare. I had the hardest time getting reservations at the restaurants, basically had to continually get myself and my family drinks because service was about one person for the entire pool and/or beach. I was tipping everyone for their services and that was of no help either. The drinks were poured with cheap, disgusting liquor and the cockroaches were the size of oil tankers! I was greeted by two of them at 3:00 a.m. and had the room fumigated the next morning. Needless to say, there was an infestation because they had the exterminators out in force three days later.
The bed sheets were musty smelling, as if they did not have enough time to dry in the dryer and had to fight with housekeeping to change them. We made the maid smell them and she gagged!
With regard to the disco, the music was not complimentary to the people attending. There would be four people on the floor while about 60 watched. If there was one good song played, all 60 got on the floor and then the DJ would put some slow song on that cleared the floor and left only those 4 people again. Truthfully, the lounge across the street played better music.
With regard to Royal Service at Bavaro Princess, they rode the same trolly as we did, had to wait on the same lines for reservations and drank the same liquor so don't think you are getting more bang for your buck!
If you go back to Dominican Republic, Punta Cana, stay at the Melia Caribe and tell Pablo I said hello. Amazing, how no one person at Bavaro Princess Hotel left an impression on me to remember their name!

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with family
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed 18 November 2010

The nightly entertainment was over the top some nights I thought we at a Broadway show. Cesar was the EMCEE for everything, he controlled the daily pool and beach activities and every nightly show in the Main Lobby. I do not know where he found the energy. Our room was huge and the we were able to watch American Football on Sunday and Monday night. The swim-up pool bar near the beach was the daily highlight, with Melvin and his friends making awesome drinks and completely taking care of us. They sang and danced for us, took pictures and encouraged fun. As for the buffet cafeterias the food was very diverse and if all else failed there was always the pasta bar or French fries and cheese sauce.

oakville, ontario
Reviewed 17 November 2010

I stayed at the Bavaro Princess from Oct 29th - Nov 5th. There was 6 of us that traveled together. This is my 3rd time to Dominican Republic and my first time at this resort. My cousin has been to this resort 3 or 4 times and she loves it so i trusted her. So....My overall experience would be an 8/10. I have been to nicer resorts in DR (Gran Bahia, Grand Palladium) but this resort was OK. And im not one of those "picky" and ridiculous people that write reviews on here. Ill be totally honest. Ill start with the rooms.

Rooms:
I found the rooms very out dated and everything was broken. The "layout" of the room was nice. I stayed in a Junior Suite. So we had a king size bed and a sunken living area. The bed wasnt too comfortable. They basically left a sheet for you to sleep with and it got really cold at night with the air conditioning. The bathroom i hated the most and thats the most important thing for me. The faucet on the sink was rusty, the towl holder broke off everyday, the plug outlets were falling apart and MOST IMPORTANTLY the shower was broken. i was pretty upset the whole week because my boyrfriend and i didnt have a proper shower the whole week. We had no hot water pressure. There was only cold water. So we called the front desk to get them to fix it and it took about 3 days of me asking for them to actually come up fix it. But that didnt work. I gave the guy a tip thinking it was fixed and he left and it was still broken so we dealt with it the whole week. That bugged me alot. By the way the Junior Suites are very far away from all the action. We took a trolly to the main pool and the beach. The only place we were right beside was the Lobby and the Buffet.

Beach/Pool:
The Beach is absolutely stunning! Best beach! The beach was packed everyday all day ofcourse, but we could always find chairs. There was a buffet and a snack bar/bar near the beach so there was always food and alcohol when you needed it. The pool was right beside it as well. The pool had a swim up bar. That was the main pool where all the action was. We spent most of our time at the pool this year just because they always had games and dance lessons in the afternoon. There is a pool near the Junior Suites but it was very quiet. No music, i dont even think the bar was open on that side. It was for people that just wanted to relax with peace and quiet. So theres that option as well.

Food:
The food wasnt the greatest i have to be honest. Ive had better food at other resorts. The buffet didnt have much selction. It was pretty much the same thing every breakfast and lunch. We dealt with it tho. We were never hungry but ive had better. Dinner was a little different with the Buffet. They had themes every night. The only buffet that we went to was the one at the Lobby. I think that was the only one for dinner. The a la cartes were okay. We only ended up going to 2 of them because you can only book one a la carte restaurant per night for the next day and they were always booked. We got very frustrated with that. I thought it was stupid. And the 2 a la cartes that we went to were always at late times. We went to "The Steakhouse" and "Chopin". The Steakhouse was alright. Steak was very chewy. Chopin was good as well. They had Lobster tails and shrimp which were great. Those are the only ones i got to experience. So if you want to book a la carte restaurants, i suggest go to Guest Services right in the morning!

Entertainment/Disco:
Entertainment was very good. I miss this part the most i think. The people were great! We made some really good friends. Animation Crew: Cesar, "Black Horse", and "Mickey Mouse" were our favourite people! Miss them dearly. They were hilarious and made our trip even better. There was a band every night and they were very good singers/performers. Alot people danced in the lobby and had fun. The shows were good. Didnt go to many but i do remember one the most out of all of them. Its called "Mr. Bavaro Princess", so far the funniest show ive seen on a resort. Very funny, dont miss that one. The disco/casino is outside of the resort which i found very weird. Usually its in the resort. You have to take a trolly, takes 2 mins. The casino is good. Smoke friendly but you have to buy your drinks. They are not included. The disco/casino is open to locals so it got kinda annoying because they would ask you to get them drinks. Some nights would be totally empty and then some nights it would be soo packed you couldnt move, and it closed at 2am. We made some friends(local) , who showed us around the area and brought us to a local bar and it was a 3-5 min walk. I found the bar very dirty. Prostitutes etc. i wont get into that. There was like 9 year old kids asking us for money because they were hungry, it was very sad. The girls bathroom had no toilet paper. Gross. The only good thing about the bar was the music and the beer..very cheap. It was 3$ and they were huge!. You could split it between 3 people. My brother and his friend went to a local bar called "Mango" and they liked it alot. Alot of tourists go there and apparently its very safe.

Resort/Grounds:
They are renovating right now so some parts of the hotel dont look so great. The gardens and grass. The Resort is very beautiful but some areas not so much. Looks better at night. Theres a "mini zoo" on the resort, it only has some birds and iguanas. The nice thing about this resort is there was always peacocks walking around. Got to see alot of flamingos and parrots.

Excursions:
All i have to say is try the "Dune Buggies". Best all day trip ever. Wear a bathing suit and clothes you dont care about. It gets messy! Very fun! Book with the hotel.."Choo Cho" always gives good prices. Find him. You will get the full service. Do not book anything with pirates on the beach. They will give it to you for cheaper but you wont get the full service. Trust me!

I would rate this resort a 4 star. Still had a good time. There were ups and downs but i think thats with every resort. Everyone is different and has there own opinions on things but i did my best to let you know about my experience at this resort and hopefully this helps with your decision!
Thanks

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
6 Thank RosieB12
ohio
Reviewed 17 November 2010

We stayed in an all inclusive hotel resort, The Bavara Princess. The resort was beautiful with gorgeous natural flowers and peacocks running about the resort. The beach was pristine with completely clear water and the whole trip was nothing but sunshine. They had many different restaurants to eat including five or six that were fine dining. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The rooms were nice but there was a small maintenance problem that was quickly fixed by the staff. All in all the vacation was incredibly relaxing and enjoyable. I would recommend this resort and town to other vacationers.

Metcalfe
Reviewed 13 November 2010

My Partner and I just returned for a wonderful vacation in Punta Cana in the Bravaro Princess. We were happy to have read reviews on tripadvisor before leaving and we upgraded to the Platinum Suites. That is a very wise decision.
We booked through sell off vacations and the agent, Jay, was fabulous. We did the roulette and were happy with the end result. The resort was gorgeous.
Although Platinum advertises a private check in and check out, unfortunately with our late arrival and late departure, we didn't get that option. It closes at 11 pm, but the use of the private lounge and the guest services at the Platinum club made our stay very, very enjoyable. We booked all our a la cartes through that desk and made use of the option to go to one of the other 3 resorts for dinner one evening. We went to the fondue restaurant at Caribe Princess and loved it.
Restaurants: We ate at the Steakhouse, Seafood, Bella Pasta (Italian), Gourmet, Le Licey, and the Japanese restaurant where they cook right infront of you. We have to say every one of our dinners were fabulous except for the Seafood dinner. That was disappointing, but one of the best things about staying at an all inclusive is that there is always the buffet which I would be more than shocked if you couldn't find something you would like and many things are prepared completely to your description. From omelettes in the morning to fresh pasta and create your own sauces, to poutine or pizza for those who stay away from the theme dinners.
The room met our complete satisfaction. It was fully stocked with everyting promised and was very clean. Only problem was the little lizard who snuck in before we arrived, but we shooed him out pretty quickly.
One other problem upon our leaving the hotel is that we booked our luggage to be picked up an hour before the bus was coming for us. We called again as no one came (actually 3 more times) and still no one to pick it up. We ended up dragging it back to the lobby ourselves on the trolly. Luckily at that time of night, the trolley wasn't too busy.
The entertainment was fabulous! We were so impressed with the Lion King rendition. It was spectacular.
I took advantage of the spa and had 2 massages and my partner had one, too. We both were happy with that service as well.
The Casino...well, your opinion on that would probably be based on if you won or lost. We lost, so we will leave it at that.

Excursions: We did the Boogie Punta Cana (go-carts/dune buggy machines driven around to see the local sites such as Macao Beach - spectacular, a banana, cocao and coffee plantation, and a cave stop and shop. We are going back to Punta Cana in February and wouldn't do this again. We thought we may want to do it as our 4 kids are coming with us, but the pace is slow and we are always stopping and being hounded to buy local goodies i.e. necklaces, paintings, hats, etc. There wasn't one stop made that you weren't asked to buy something.

We did do a fishing excursion with a company called Gone Fishing. Our guide Richard and the captain showed everyone a great time. And, some great fishing. We were able to catch two fish: Mahi Mahi and a Marlin, but those you catch and you release.

Tipping: We tipped every day for each excursion, for the maid service (and left chocolate bars 4 or so every day), bar tenders, Platinum lounge attendants and servers. None was asked for and no hand was out, but we know it was appreciated. You are expected to tip to any drivers, and the baggage handlers that take your luggage to your place in line at check in and to your bus as you are heading to your resort.

All in all the locations was fabulous, the grounds perfect, the resort gorgeous, the rooms perfect, the food was great and the service was, too.

I would definitely recommend this resort to couples travelling, but maybe a little large for families with small children.

2 Thank bettyann
Brampton, Canada
Reviewed 12 November 2010

We just returned from our 8th visit to BP (Oct 31 - Nov 7). We, has always, upgrade to the Platinum section, which in my opinion, is worth every penny. This year we were in bungalow 758 (a big thank you to Martires) oceanfront. We arrived on Sunday at the resort and were on the beach by 2PM. It was great to see familar happy faces again. What has changed at the resort - NOTHING - everything is as beautiful as ever. The service by the Plantinum lounge staff is beyond the call of duty. The buffet is wonderful, there is always food for every walk of life. We usually stick with the buffet as we are not to fond of having a set time put upon us for dinners at the al la carte. This time of year the resort was not that busy ditto for other resorts at this time of year. Ariel at the private platinum beach section was has hospitable as ever. Always a good morning and a thank you when we tipped him for bringing our drinks. One nice thing he said to me one morning is " do you feel sad sometimes" and I said yes and he replied "I do but when I see you and your smile I am happy" . Folks, that's all it takes for these people is a smile and a good morning/afternoon/evening to make their day. The only negative aspect of this holiday this year was the weather - we had sun for 3 days and cloud and rain for the remainder of the week. At noon each day the skys would open and we would head up to the beach restaurant and sit outside under the enormous palapas and enjoy our wine and beer - and the staff their again were fantastic. Congratulations to Roberto and his team. Every day when we went up we no sooner sat ourselves down and were greeted with a big hug and kiss from the servers along with 2 wine glasses and our bottle of wine. We always tipped for every drink served. every meal, and of course left a tip for the maids. A few dollars goes along way for them. The beach as always is unbelievable. Every morning, rain or shine as I was sitting on the balcony, the BP workers were out on the beach - raking, picking up any garbage etc. Many times throughout the course of the day (in the private platinum beach section) the garbage bins were constantly being emptied. People mentioned about cigarette butts scattered - well we were given an ashtray every morning and even for those who did not have one I observed them extinguishing their cigarette/cigar in the sand and then putting into the garbage bin.

All in all it was, as always, a wonderful vacation - too short. We will be heading back in April 2011. Oh more thing - I gave the sleep quality a "3" - I think they could use some new mattresses and/or pillows - back was a tad stiff during the last 3 days.

Ole and enjoy